As The Hospital Pervs

Status
Not open for further replies.
but........ isn't there a lot of good things from which to build upon?

:)

Sure, the patient herself is still worth saving. It's the entangled and contaminated lines that need to be replaced. Start fresh.

(Also, glad to see that your electric is back on. :rose:)

at 147 pages, this thread has a serious lack of boob pix.

not putting pressure on anyone, but ladies... your popularity *is* at stake.

respectfully yours,
p

respectfully yours,
p

Not mine but I wanted to help you out Pete. Seriously, I am wondering if these might be bigger than mine.

ngbbs4e3640223cb13.jpg

One of my favorite "regulars" died at home this week. He was only 29.

The first time he came in, he had been completely bed-bound for over a year. I helped the physical therapist get him into a wheelchair for the first time. He panicked, and choked me. By the time the PT pried his hands away from my throat, the blackness was starting to creep in along the edges of my vision. I felt bad for him.

By the time he discharged 30 days later, he was spending most of the day in his new, custom-made chair, and even wheeling himself around the unit. He liked to play catch and listen to Elvis, and he had a wicked sense of humor. He was supposed to come back at the end of the month for one of his twice a year "tune-up" visits.

As with so many other developmentally disabled people, there will be no service. This post may be the closest thing he will get to a eulogy.

The first time he came in, he had been completely bed-bound for over a year. I helped the physical therapist get him into a wheelchair for the first time. He panicked, and choked me. By the time the PT pried his hands away from my throat, the blackness was starting to creep in along the edges of my vision. I felt bad for him.

By the time he discharged 30 days later, he was spending most of the day in his new, custom-made chair, and even wheeling himself around the unit. He liked to play catch and listen to Elvis, and he had a wicked sense of humor. He was supposed to come back at the end of the month for one of his twice a year "tune-up" visits.

As with so many other developmentally disabled people, there will be no service. This post may be the closest thing he will get to a eulogy.

sorry to hear :(

Today I rocked on half sleep. People were talking to me about their personal lives, and I was all like: I really don't have a clue what you just said. I am utilizing every single neuron I own to manage patient care.

I started fresh: I ripped down every drip line that was not labelled.

That is a losing battle unless you point it out to the previous nurse during bedside report and make her do it. Once people realize that is how it will be **** gets done.

But that's just my 0.02.

respectfully yours,
p

If we're voting, I'll put mine for legs, butts, abs first.

I never knew that the developmentally disabled usually didn't get a service. No eulogy.

That makes me feel sad for the entire human race. I thought we were better than that.

I never knew that the developmentally disabled usually didn't get a service. No eulogy.

That makes me feel sad for the entire human race. I thought we were better than that.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's unusual for them to have a service. But it happens a lot. When one of our long-term residents passes on, we have a service on-site, even if the family holds a service elsewhere. That way everyone can attend, even if they're on the clock. Often the family comes to our service as well. Our pastor has offered to hold a memorial for this young man on our unit.

The last one I attended off-site was really depressing. The woman had lived in group homes and other community-based living situations for over 50 years. Her brothers and sisters and their families were there, along with me and her social worker from our facility. Not one person from any of her homes, workshops, etc. showed up. No one even made the effort to bring any of her peers.

Often there's no money for a service. I was legal guardian for an older patient at one time, and when he passed away he had just enough to be cremated. But we were able to get a plot donated, and also used donor funds to buy him a headstone, and we had a lovely (free) memorial at the facility, and a few of us who were close to him went to the cemetery to lay him to rest. I still visit his grave often.

What is most sad to me is this: people with developmental disabilities (sometimes) have family, and they have staff, and both of these groups care deeply for them. But they often don't really have friends.

OK, it's getting to be that time of year again. Dry air + cold + hand hygiene 486 times a shift = BAD. So, how do you keep your hands from cracking and bleeding, or looking like raw hamburger? I like SoftGuard at work and L'Occitane hand cream at home, but I'm always open to suggestions.

OK, it's getting to be that time of year again. Dry air + cold + hand hygiene 486 times a shift = BAD. So, how do you keep your hands from cracking and bleeding, or looking like raw hamburger? I like SoftGuard at work and L'Occitane hand cream at home, but I'm always open to suggestions.
I always wondered how many times a day the hands are washed. I always wash because I don't like the sanitizer that we have. It takes too long to dry. I use the big jug of lotion that sits at the nurse's station. I can't remember the name of it, the hospital provides it. At home I use Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Creme, or whatever I pick up. I try everything. I also get manicured about every 12 days, it helps with the cuticle control.

Luckily, I don't crack.

I always wondered how many times a day the hands are washed. I always wash because I don't like the sanitizer that we have. It takes too long to dry. I use the big jug of lotion that sits at the nurse's station. I can't remember the name of it, the hospital provides it. At home I use Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Creme, or whatever I pick up. I try everything. I also get manicured about every 12 days, it helps with the cuticle control.

Luckily, I don't crack.

Exactly 486 times in an eight-hour shift. Never varies. :cool:

Hmmm, maybe I should try the manicure route. My cuticles are always cracking and peeling in the winter. My biggest problem though is the red rashy areas right where the water hits. Burns like fire when I do use sanitizer, and when I shower after work.

I think it would help if our facility didn't use the cheapest hand soap known to man. (Ad slogan: "It causes cancer in rats! And rats are bad!") Some of the employees have taken to bringing in their own soap, but then you have to remember to drag it into every goddamn patient room. I have enough detritus in my pockets at the end of a shift, I don't need to be keeping track of soap too.

That "raw hamburger" look is so sexy. Or maybe not.

Exactly 486 times in an eight-hour shift. Never varies. :cool:

Hmmm, maybe I should try the manicure route. My cuticles are always cracking and peeling in the winter. My biggest problem though is the red rashy areas right where the water hits. Burns like fire when I do use sanitizer, and when I shower after work.

I think it would help if our facility didn't use the cheapest hand soap known to man. (Ad slogan: "It causes cancer in rats! And rats are bad!") Some of the employees have taken to bringing in their own soap, but then you have to remember to drag it into every goddamn patient room. I have enough detritus in my pockets at the end of a shift, I don't need to be keeping track of soap too.

That "raw hamburger" look is so sexy. Or maybe not.

I get contact dermatitis from the harsher soaps. Bag Balm works, as does the Crack Cream I posted. Carmex works well on cuticles and stubborn spots.

finger cots?

They're essentially just the finger part of a rubber glove. You use them when you don't need gloves, but you still need to cover just one or two fingers. I cut my finger making dinner last night, and had to wear a band-aid today at work. Finger cot over the band-aid.

They look like teeny tiny condoms. They're even rolled up like that before you put them on.

I get contact dermatitis from the harsher soaps. Bag Balm works, as does the Crack Cream I posted. Carmex works well on cuticles and stubborn spots.

I've tried Bag Balm (and several variations on the theme), it hasn't really helped. I'll try the Crack Cream, though. Haven't heard of that one before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back