A Nightcap on the Road (Closed for Angeleyz)

havinfun50

Honey Keeper
Joined
Jun 22, 2013
Posts
3,941
He sat at a table in the hotel bar reading a book and sipping his scotch. Another mid-trip trash novel purchased during a connection at O’hare’s Barnes & Noble kiosk. I really need to get a tablet or something, he thought as the words on the page in front of him were consumed without comprehension. At least I could read good books on the road, but even a bad book was better than the fodder served up on network TV. He also liked to people watch while he was traveling, and a book was good cover to be sitting alone in a public place undisturbed.

His name was Jim Fellows, a Partner for a Big Three firm, a road warrior. He had been doing this for so long he remembered that when he started as an Analyst, they were part of the Big Six. Sadly, mergers and the economy had taken their toll on the consulting industry just like everyone else. The only way to make it these days was to stay moving and make sure the client knew you were there for them, always. It cost him a marriage and half of his assets, but in the end he could not see himself doing anything else. Plus there were occasional advantages to traveling, one never knew who one might meet.

At six feet and 200 pounds he was in as good a shape as the meager hotel gyms he used could muster. No six pack abs for sure, there were just too many hours sitting in a First Class seat or a conference room for that, but he kept himself as fit and trim as an expense account could allow. Afterall, wining and dining clients can be a “high hazard” job in and of itself.

His dark hair was starting to grey at the temples, but he resisted the urge to dye it, figuring that a little worldliness would add to his persona rather than detract from it. However, he knew that his steel grey eyes were the dealmaker, his bread and butter as it were. There were very few who could stare him down when he was determined to win a deal.

As the last of his scotch slid down his throat, he decided to have one last nightcap before turning in. It was only 8:30 but a few extra hours sleep would not hurt. He headed to the bar and ordered another drink. While he was waiting for the barkeep to refresh his glass, she walked in.
 
Dropping her laptop and purse on the bed, Emily Robinson finished typing her last text message and hit Send.

No more tonight. Can tag up tomorrow

She started to kick off her heels, but decided that drinking alone in a hotel room was just sad - and she most assuredly needed a drink or two tonight! Emily had been so excited when she was asked to help with the requirements review for TINMAN. It was her first opportunity to do real technical work since Radcliffe had talked her into the 'stretch' position. Truth be told, she didn't totally dislike being a project lead, but she was so tired of telling everyone what to do. Sometimes she wondered if Solomon and Pedersen even bothered to think on their own before running to her.

Sighing, Emily started to head out to the hotel bar when she paused. Normally she would have taken her laptop with her as a deterrent from unwanted conversation, but she didn't want to boot it up since she was officially off the clock. Grabbing a Suduko puzzle book from the desk, she tucked it under her arm and walked out the door.

Getting the timing on the elevator just right, Emily nodded to the two men already inside. The well polished mirrored doors reflected the appearance of the three occupants. The two twenty-something men, a regular Mutt and Jeff combination, wore workout clothes and were obviously on their way to the gym. Emily, standing 5'5" in her black, 3-in heels, still wore her short black skirt and a fitted, dusty rose-colored blouse. Standing next to them made her feel every bit of her 32 years for some reason.

Stepping off the elevator, Emily ducked into that nearby bathroom to wash her hands. Dark brown eyes gazed back at her while she considered fixing her hair. "Screw it, " she said aloud in the empty room and pulled her equally dark, shoulder length hair out of its chignon. "Better..."

Walking into the bar, Emily sat down at a table in the corner and looked around. Outside of the two couples sitting at a table at the other side of the room and a good-looking man talking to the bartender, the place was dead. Checking her watch, she noted that it was that in between time. Too late for most to eat dinner, and too early for the serious drinkers to crawl out of the shadows. She opened the book and waited patiently for the server to come by.
 
Last edited:
Black skirt, tight rose blouse and 3” FM pumps… A very nice combination, he thought to himself. This night may be looking up after all. He waited a few moments and watched the hotel staff as they ignored their newest patron. It seemed that the latest episode of Bridezillas held their interest more than their clientele.

He waited a full ten minutes for the staff to get their act together. When it was obvious they were not going to serve this dark haired beauty in the corner, he took the job on himself. Setting his drink and book on the bar he headed directly to her table.

“Good evening… My name is Jim. It seems the staff are otherwise preoccupied this evening. Can I get you something from the bar?”
 
Last edited:
Good evening… My name is Jim. It seems the staff seem otherwise preoccupied this evening. Can I get you something from the bar?

Emily had been lost in one of the puzzles and hadn't heard anyone approach, so she was surprised when she looked up to see the good looking gentleman from the bar standing before her. Looking around, she noticed the hotel crew watching TV.

Raising an eyebrow, Emily smiled and said, "You look a little overqualified to be taking orders..."
 
"You look a little overqualified to be taking orders..."

“Yes,” Jim chuckled, “normally I’m better at giving orders than taking them. Desires on the other hand, can always be fulfilled.”

Crouching down next to her seat, he looked into her eyes. “Can I fulfill any desires for you tonight?” He waited a few moments for his words to register. “From the bar that is, for now.”
 
Yes, normally I’m better at giving orders than taking them. Desires, on the other hand, can always be fulfilled.

Emily's lips twitched at his words, having no problem believing that he was good at giving orders. He definitely had the physical presence and 'take charge' attitude. Her smile grew when he crouched down next to her, thinking it certainly would keep her neck from getting stiff.

Can I fulfill any desires for you tonight?

Her eyes danced with mischief as Emily contemplated laying out some of her desires on the table, if only to get a reaction from him. However, common sense kept the words from spilling out.

From the bar that is, for now.

Emily laughed aloud at his follow-on. Oh, he was good. She wondered how often this act was successful. Searching her memory for his name, she leaned forward and in a semi breathless voice, "Jim, I have to be honest... I have a sudden need for.. Well, what I really want is..." Taking a breath as if to fortify herself, she continued in a regular voice, "A grilled chicken salad, Italian dressing on the side, and a white zinfadel."
 
"A grilled chicken salad, Italian dressing on the side, and a white zinfadel."

Jim laughed. The way she picked up on his wordplay and returned his opening was very promising. Witty and pretty. A nice combination.

“Those are good desires to start with. Let me see what I can do to fulfill them all.” Giving her a wink, he rose and headed to the bar.

He used his phone to call the Front Desk of the hotel and ordered the salad from room service with instructions to have it delivered to her table in the bar. He knew from past experience that the Bar menu stopped at 8:00 and room service was open until midnight.

Pouring a glass of White Zin, he left a note for the bartender to add it to his tab. He collected his drink and book as well as the wine and made his way back to her table.

“Desire one, complete. Your other desires will be fulfilled shortly,” placing the wine before her. “Mind if I join you?”
 
Those are good desires to start with. Let me see what I can do to fulfill them all.

Emily had to admit to herself that she found Jim's attention flattering, and his laugh did odd things to her stomach... a reaction she hadn't had in months. She watched out of the corner of her eye as he made a short phone call and then poured a glass of wine. She couldn't believe the staff was being so inattentive! She noted that he picked up a book and his own glass before heading her way with her drink, and was surprised at the disappointment that ran through her at the thought that he was leaving already.

Desire one, complete. Your other desires will be fulfilled shortly. Mind if I join you?

Emily inclined her head, as she closed her book and replied, "Please do. It's not often that I find my desires so... speedily... fulfilled."
 
"Please do. It's not often that I find my desires so... speedily... fulfilled."

Jim laughed again, she definitely had a wicked streak in her, despite the business attire.

“Thank you.” Taking a seat next to her, he put the book on the floor and the drink on the table. He looked at her and smiled. “As I said, I’m Jim… Sorry for the silly introduction, and I apologize on behalf of the staff. Everyone in here tonight is a regular, and they tend to let us do our own thing. I don’t think they've even realized you slipped in yet. Apparently,” nodding toward the TV on the wall, “Bridezillas can be very compelling.” Extending his hand in greeting, “What is your name?”
 
Last edited:
Emily found it oddly charming that Jim found the need to apologize for the staff. Since she tended to just order room service and eat while she continued to work, she wouldn't know if this was the norm or not. However, she probably would have made a big stink about the lack of attention if not for his charming intervention.

What is your name?

Placing her hand in his much larger one, she replied, "Oh sorry... I'm Emily... and thanks again for the assistance."
 
Accepting her hand in his he felt a little spark, not static electricity but something else.

"Emily, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance... Your salad will be along shortly, I ordered it from Room Service since the bar menu is already closed. Are you local, or did you fly in from somewhere?"
 
Last edited:
Emily reluctantly withdrew her hand from his firm grip and replied, "I'm actually from DC. Flew in yesterday and this will be home, sweet home for a week." She took a sip of the wine before asking in what she hoped was a casual manner, "And you?"
 
"New York... theoretically. Though I'm there so little it's really just a place to change bags."

He took a moment to take her in completely, The way her legs were crossed, the way her substantial chest thrust itself forward as she leaned back in her chair. The hint of a nipple protruding through her blouse.

Realizing that he was getting lost in his thoughts, he forced his concentration back to the conversation at hand.

"I travel a lot, but I'm very familiar with DC and the Virginia tech corridor. I've spent a lot of time there over the years. Who are you with? I may know the company, or something about them."
 
Last edited:
New York... theoretically. Though I'm there so little it's really just a place to change bags.

Emily wasn't overly surprised to hear that Jim was from New York as he had the big city presence without necessarily its mannerisms. She caught him looking at her, and there was something in his gaze that had her nipples tightening.

I travel a lot, but I'm very familiar with DC and the Virginia tech corridor. I've spent a lot of time there over the years. Who are you with? I may know the company, or something about them."

Trying not to make a face in reaction to his work-related questions when she had wanted to avoid all thoughts of it, Emily still smiled good-naturedly as she replied, "I've been with McKinsey & Company for about 6 years now. I'm a systems engineering manager in their Communications Division, although I'm out here to support a requirements review for TINMAN, which is a new communications systems the Feds are considering."

Taking another sip of wine, Emily waved her glass in his direction and asked, "And you, Mr 'I'm Never Home', what keeps you occupied and on the road so much?"
 
"And you, Mr 'I'm Never Home', what keeps you occupied and on the road so much?"

Jim smiled, her answer was short, sweet and succinct. Work was, obviously, not something she wanted to discuss at the moment so he switched to keeping things light and playful.

"I'm with Bain, which explains why I'm on the road so much, as for what keeps me occupied... it all depends on the company." He gave her a smile and raised his glass in toast.

At that moment he spied the room service cart at the door looking for their table. He gestured the bell hop over and gave Emily a playful wink.

"It appears your second desire has also been fulfilled."
 
Emily smiled deprecatingly at his admission of working for Bain. She should have guessed as much. Raising her glass in response, she was getting ready to pursue what kinds of company he liked to keep when Jim made a gesture and said, "It appears your second desire has also been fulfilled."

Turning her head, Emily saw a bell hop coming over with what was obviously her salad. Smiling, she had just started to say thank you when her cell phone rang. Glancing down at the screen, she grimaced when she saw Pedersen Work displayed.

"Please excuse me for a moment, Jim," she said regretfully, "I should probably take this." Emily proceeded to listen to Sam Pedersen, one of the senior members of her staff, report a problem with one of the monthly reports due to the customer in the morning. Rubbing her temples, she asked a handful of questions, which should had led him to figuring out how to resolve the issue on his own, and only just barely kept the frustration out of her tone when he obviously wasn't going to.

Emily crisply rattled off what he needed to do and ended the call as quickly as she could. Fingers drumming lightly on the table, she attempted to let her frustration go, but she was having a hard time doing so. Taking a long sip of wine, she sighed and turned back to Jim. "Sorry about that," she apologized.
 
Jim quickly signed the check from the bell hop to his room, and watched as the stress visibly built up in her shoulders and brow. Obviously a work problem, but not one he could help with, or could he? He did know a lot of people at McKinsey.

Quickly disregarding that train of thought for another time, he watched as she efficiently guided the dolt on the other end of the call through what needed to be done. He found the dichotomy of her deft of her response and her visible stress intriguing.

"Sorry about that,"

"Not a problem, enjoy your salad, I'll be back in just a moment." Getting up from the table, he walked to the bar and collected a Champagne bucket, the mostly full bottle of White Zin and some ice. Leaving another note next to his origional he returned to the table and set the bucket near to hand.

"I thought you might be needing a refresh soon... this saves time." Smileing, he took a sip of his drink and resumed their banter.

"I'm going to go out on a limb here... That call was not one of your desires."
 
Not a problem, enjoy your salad, I'll be back in just a moment.

Emily watched in bemusement as Jim gathered the bucket, a bottle and some ice and yet the staff still said nothing. She wondered how many times a person had to visit the hotel before they got carte blanche at the bar like Jim enjoyed.

She nibbled on her salad as Jim return with the bucket and said, "I thought you might be needing a refresh soon... this saves time." She returned his smile with one of her own, thinking she might end up drinking the entire bottle if Pedersen made the mistake of calling again. Just thinking about that had her draining her glass.

I'm going to go out on a limb here... That call was not one of your desires.

Rolling her eyes, Emily laughed before responding, "That call was nowhere close to any of my desires!" She wondered what he would say if she shared some of them with him. Normally she wouldn't even consider telling anyone about them, but there was something about him that seemed to inspire confidences.
 
"That call was nowhere close to any of my desires!"

Jim laughed openly with her. Both her tone and expression conveyed a frustration with her caller and a desire to relax without further work interruptions. The draining of her glass confirmed it.

With only a momentary lapse in eye contact, he poured her another glass and replaced the bottle in its bucket. “Well I can tell you that the smile on your face now is a welcome sight. I was afraid I’d lost a new friend to the grindstone of the 24/7 work day.”

He sat back and took a sip from his drink, all the while taking in her beautiful image. “I try to make it a rule to never call my team after hours unless it’s truly an emergency. People need time to relax, unwind and de-stress from the day. What do you like to do to relax, unwind and de-stress after a long day? Or… to continue the evening’s theme," giving her a smile, "what are your desires after the day is done?”
 
Last edited:
Emily watched as Jim poured her another glass of wine. Her lips twitched ever so slightly at his assumption that she would want another drink. Not that he was incorrect, but the way he just took charge... she tried to steer her attention to the handsome man sitting next to her.

I try to make it a rule to never call my team after hours unless it’s truly an emergency. People need time to relax, unwind and de-stress from the day. What do you like to do to relax, unwind and de-stress after a long day? Or… to continue the evening’s theme, what are your desires after the day is done?

Emily fiddled with her glass as she tried to formulate her response. "Actually, it's a little sad what I have time for these days... I used to play soccer in an adult league, but I kept missing practices and games because of work, so I mostly just run and do puzzles."

Taking a sip of wine, Emily went on to say, "As to my evening desires... I'd need more than one glass of wine to tell you..."
 
"Actually, it's a little sad what I have time for these days... I used to play soccer in an adult league, but I kept missing practices and games because of work, so I mostly just run and do puzzles...

As to my evening desires... I'd need more than one glass of wine to tell you...""


That last bit actually caught Jim off guard. He wasn't unhappy to hear it, not at all. In fact it made him smile a bit, which he hoped covered the surprise his face must have shown when she uttered those words. He quickly collected his thoughts.

"Ahem... I'm sorry to hear that, I remember when I used to play after work sports too, it was a lot of fun at the time."

Jim did remember when he could do those sorts of activities after work. He used to be a fairly good baseball player, and he would sign up for every after work Softball league he could until work forced him to step down. He still missed it every Spring.

"As for your evening desires... You're now on your second glass, so I'll be sure to pay close attention."
 
Ahem... I'm sorry to hear that, I remember when I used to play after work sports too, it was a lot of fun at the time.

Emily surreptitiously glanced at Jim while she ate her salad, trying to picture what sport or sports he had indulged in before work had interfered. He was tall enough for basketball. Still sported his teeth so that ruled out hockey. She guessed it could be tennis, but the safest bet would be baseball / softball as that was the typical 'work sport' as he called it.

As for your evening desires... You're now on your second glass, so I'll be sure to pay close attention.

Emily smiled at his words, although she doubted that he'd get to hear about those desires. She could count one hand, and have fingers left over, the few who were aware of her interests.
 
Jim watch as she ate and mulled his words. He caught her glancing at him, sizing him up, and noted the smile as he teased her about being on her second glass of wine. There was something more to that smile then what lay on the surface. It was in her eyes.

Jim knew the eyes were the real gateway to figuring people out. He'd made a career out of reading peoples eyes in a negotiation or dispute. He'd taken all the trendy "Management with Body Language" courses that surfaced every few years like a bad penny, but he knew that the eyes were the key.

There was something in her eyes when she smiled that caught his attention. It was fleeting but it was definitely there. It was almost as if she were daring him to get her to tell. He decided to take a risk, after all the worst that could happen would be if she said no. If that were the case, he was no worse off then at the start of the evening, but if he was right...

Leaning forward, he placed his hand upon her knee and looked into her dark brown eyes, there were flecks of gold in there, subtle but effective in giving them character. Her legs, encased in a sheer silk hose, felt wonderful beneath his hand as it slowly drifted up toward her thigh.

"Emily... I have a suite on the 12th floor with a fabulous view of Downtown. Would you be interested in sharing a drink with me and watching the City lights?"
 
Last edited:
Emily was just finishing up her salad when Jim leaned forward and placed his hand on her knee. She didn't think anything of it at first as she knew many people who used touch to make a point during conversation whether it was a touch to the back of a hand, a shoulder... a knee. Leaned forward as he was, Emily had the time to reflect on how arresting his eyes were. She had never met someone with grey eyes and found them fascinating. So fascinating that she didn't immediately process what his hand was doing until he spoke.

Emily... I have a suite on the 12th floor with a fabulous view of Downtown. Would you be interested in sharing a drink with me and watching the City lights?

Blinking, Emily's mouth opened into a small 'o' as she tried not to shiver beneath the heat of his hand. She licked her bottom lip as she considered her options. She could say no and go back to her room where she'd likely end up turning on her laptop and working, or she could say yes and see where things might lead, or at the very least continue the light hearted banter they had enjoyed so far. Struggling to keep her voice even, she answered, "I'd love to share a drink and see the view. "
 
Jim watched carefully as she processed his words and actions. It took a few moments, but eventually he could feel her shiver slightly under his hand. Her lips formed a delicate 'O' of surprise that made them eminently kissable, and when she licked her lower lip, he knew they were headed up to the suite.

"I'd love to share a drink and see the view. "

Her voice was shaky but he could see it in her eyes, she was ready to truly unwind. Which begged the question, what secret desires would turn this petite beauty into a puddle of ecstasy? What dark fantasy could she be hiding behind those beautiful brown eyes?

"Wonderful..." Jim rose and offered her his hand. He collected the unfinished wine bottle with the other and left his own drink and book where they were.

When she rose she only just came up to his shoulder and that was with 3" heals on. This should be interesting, he thought, without heals, how will she... he pushed the thought away, with luck he'd soon have his answer anyway.

Placing his hand upon the small if her back he guided her toward the elevator.

"The City really does lend itself to beautiful views in the evening. I hope you'll find them as enticing as I do."
 
Back
Top