How would one. . .?

robertreams

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Posts
1,993
Need some help here. Would this punctuation be proper? He would have to crawl back to Iowa to a chous of, "I told you so"s.
 
Probably told you so's for the sake of clarity.

You meant chorus, right?
 
Need some help here. Would this punctuation be proper? He would have to crawl back to Iowa to a chous of, "I told you so"s.

I agree with LV - I think you could leave out the quotation marks since you're only talking about hypothetical speech - I certainly wouldn't put the pluralising "s" on the other side of quotation marks. [not sure what the actual grammatical term is - sorry] In any case it would be a chorus of "I told you so" surely? for the same reason the Hallelujah Chorus isn't in the plural form.

I think that getting this exactly right is less important than the smooth flow of the narrative. I might be wrong about that too. just my two penn'orth.
 
I'd suggest the following:

He would have to crawl back to Iowa to a chorus of "I told you so's."

He would have to crawl back to Iowa to a chorus of, I told you so's.

Like Bert said, I'd worry less about what's grammatically correct and more about what reads better.
 
Back
Top