Canada from Eh to Zed

Apparently, the IOC's got a stick up their ass about it.

Can't say I've ever known a hockey player who wasn't a brewski fan.

It's so silly, honestly.

The arena was empty, the fans had left. What's the difference if they knock back some brews in the locker room or on the ice? The IOC needs to chill.

It's so silly, honestly.

The arena was empty, the fans had left. What's the difference if they knock back some brews in the locker room or on the ice? The IOC needs to chill.
They sent an American snowboarder home, after TMZ published these pics.

Silly's the word for it, yes.

They sent an American snowboarder home, after TMZ published these pics.

Silly's the word for it, yes.

Groan. And people wonder why I won't celebrate the Olympics. Ridiculous.

Does the IOC have any idea how snowboarders usually party? Man, that photo was positively restrained.

Does the IOC have any idea how snowboarders usually party? Man, that photo was positively restrained.

I was thinking the same thing. My first thought was, "Hell, he still has his pants on."

If they try to send the women's hockey team home, presumably we'll find out what passes for "polite" rioting among the locals!

penance for soiling the thread with an IOC reference....

This is one hell of a Central Park.

montroyal.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. My first thought was, "Hell, he still has his pants on."

Exactly! LOL.

If they try to send the women's hockey team home, presumably we'll find out what passes for "polite" rioting among the locals!

Ohhhhh boy, it would be ugly. "Polite" would not be a good descriptor for the ruckus that would cause. I remember too well the riot in Vancouver when the Canuck's lost in the last game of the Stanley Cup final back in the 90's. Talk about a black day in Canadian history.

*Feels shame*

This is one hell of a Central Park.

You give great penance!

I haven't been to Montreal yet but everyone I know who has been there or who has lived there raves about how beautiful and cosmopolitan it is. I'd rank it as the second best big city in Canada ;)

I heard in Canada, the milk comes in bags.

Yes, for years it used to come that way. Looked like this...

125344174437.jpg

This is how I remember milk as a kid...well, first it was bottles, then bags.

ETA: Now we use cartons and tetra packs, like civilized folk!

Last edited:
Love that Montreal postcard, JMohegan...*sigh*...I could totally live there.

Dude disrespecting the bronze and canadian women drinking and smoking on the ice get the same degree of reprimand. It's nice to see it's 1922.

If the Canadians want to drink on the ice it's their damn ice. Not a day without some kind of r-tarded pseudo scandal.

You're not allowed to have absinthe in the US?

Yes well, here's the brilliance of my government - it isn't illegal to have it... you just can't import it and they don't sell it here. Last time I checked anyways.

And Canada is kind of a long way to drive for a drink.

Last edited:
You give great penance!

I haven't been to Montreal yet but everyone I know who has been there or who has lived there raves about how beautiful and cosmopolitan it is. I'd rank it as the second best big city in Canada ;)
Ha. Beautiful and cosmopolitan describes it well.

Also humbling, given the percentage of bilingual residents.

Love that Montreal postcard, JMohegan...*sigh*...I could totally live there.
So could I.

Screwing in Canada

If you’ve screwed a lot, you know how frustrating it is to cam out (slip) when you’re trying to get the job done. For us Canucks, that problem was solved by the ingenious P.L. Robertson, inventor of the Robertson screw and screw driver.

A really good screw...

250px-Robertson_screw.jpg

Technical jargon complements of Wiki: Robertson screwdrivers are easy to use one-handed, since the tapered socket retains the screw, even if it is shaken. They also allow for the use of angled screw drivers and trim head screws. The socket-headed Robertson screws are self-centering, reduce cam-out, stop a power tool when set, and can be removed even if painted-over or old and rusty. In industry, they speed up production and reduce product damage.

Unfortunately, Robertson was screwed over in a few business dealings early on and so became a bit of a control freak about his products. As a result, to this day, though they have been proven to be far superior to the Phillips screws, Robertson's screws remain widely used only in Canada.

If you ask me, that’s screwed up.

Last edited:
Je suis bilingue (ou trilingue) alors je pourrait habiter en Montreal, mais je suis pas sure que je pourrait y travailler, mes travails sont avec les sourds, et les sourds quebecois parlent LSQ et pas ASL...je devrait apprendre mon quatrieme langue si je voulait travailler au Montreal!

I am bilingual (or trilingual) so I could live in Montreal, but I'm not sure I could work there, my work is with deaf people, and deaf Quebecois speak LSQ, not ASL. I would have to learn a fourth language if I wanted to work in Montreal!

Je suis bilingue (ou trilingue) alors je pourrait habiter en Montreal, mais je suis pas sure que je pourrait y travailler, mes travails sont avec les sourds, et les sourds quebecois parlent LSQ et pas ASL...je devrait apprendre mon quatrieme langue si je voulait travailler au Montreal!

I am bilingual (or trilingual) so I could live in Montreal, but I'm not sure I could work there, my work is with deaf people, and deaf Quebecois speak LSQ, not ASL. I would have to learn a fourth language if I wanted to work in Montreal!

The whole bilingual thing is a bit weird. I am not bilingual. An hour of forced French lessons, four or five days a week, when there are no french speaking people to converse with, does not a bilingual speaker make. Most easterners are bilingual but out west not so much. Our French population is just too small for it to be practical.

My Spanish is far better than my French, (see: motivation).

I always found it a little weird, growing up, that I was surrounded by Chinese and Indian people who I couldn't communicate with and yet I was required to learn French. I think a lot of westerners felt this way.

I learned French from an old Lyonnaise. Canadian french might as well be Haitian Creole to me half the time.

I learned French from an old Lyonnaise. Canadian french might as well be Haitian Creole to me half the time.

Oh yeah, Quebecois French is a whole other dialect. More than one of my friends who excelled in French in school found that they were completely lost when they went to France. LOL.

Where's the tourtière?

All of my grandparents emigrated to Maine so I'm only a generation removed from true Canuckhood.

OSG, PEI is absolutely as gorgeous as all the photos. My mother's family is from the island and it's still flat out beautiful. The lobster is fabulous there, too.

As for Canadian cities, I've visited Vancouver, Montréal, Québec and Toronto. Each has its own charms but if I were to move north of the border, I'd pick Toronto because my French just isn't quite good enough for the other two eastern cities.

Yes, for years it used to come that way. Looked like this...

125344174437.jpg

This is how I remember milk as a kid...well, first it was bottles, then bags.

ETA: Now we use cartons and tetra packs, like civilized folk!

Uummm not all of us. I still use bags of milk like this and I'd hazard a guess from the amount and variety of milk containers that this is the most popular in the Canadian city that I live in.

Back