The 'Vargas Girl' Challenge

Ladies, I have a new challenge for you. Photograph yourself as a 'Vargas Girl'. If anyone is unfamiliar with Alberto Vargas, he painted iconic 'pinup girl' images mostly in the World War II era. He was published regularly in Esquire and later in Playboy. His work was often reproduced as "nose art" on WWII aircraft.

I was reminded of him recently when I happened upon one of his late works painted shortly before his death: the album cover for "Candy-O" by The Cars.

It occurred to me that the beautiful and creative Ladies of Lit could do a great job channeling his work.

So the challenge is simple: find a Vargas work you like and shoot your own rendition of it. Post the original and your version together.

Look him up, there are hundreds of images to choose from.

JP what a wonderful Idea, this is so going to be fun.
:kiss::kiss::kiss:

Right or wrong, it's hot, which I think might be the problem with this contest. Who cares if it's Vargas if in a pic like that? I'm just happy you shared.

Its not a contest but a challenge. There is a major difference. No one said this photo isn't hot. Its very important to READ things before you make a judgement. The photo and the model are both lovely but as OAP said they do not portray the flirtiness and the playful characteristic of a Vargas print. That is the whole point of this challenge. There is a particular theme that the thread starter suggested and the point is to produce a picture in line with that theme.

Vargas Girl

attachment.php

ICY LOVE IT. You are one amazing Varga girl.
:kiss::rose::rose::rose::kiss:

Icy...congrats for a well done job...this is a tough challenge without a photographer. ..
I'm laughing because I think I've missed the mark by a mile...but tadaaaa

Ohhh Rubby loving it.
You my sexy friend, just made Varga proud.
:kiss::rose::rose::rose::heart::kiss:

I always loved Varga, its sexy, sensual.
So when I saw this thread, I knew I had a 30 year old La Perla body , in my vintage lingerie drawer.
So my little attempt to recreate this Varga picture, :eek:
:kiss::rose::heart::kiss:

Attachments

• alberto-vargas-pinup-artist_48.jpg
    alberto-vargas-pinup-artist_48.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Photo on 12-31-16 at 9.58 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 12-31-16 at 9.58 AM #2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
So when I saw this thread, I knew I had a 30 year old La Perla body , in my vintage lingerie drawer.
:kiss::rose::heart::kiss:

You look amazing, you have nailed it. I had no idea who Varga was before this, I obviously knew of the pin ups but not him, so have also learnt something :)

Here is one of me the same friend who took the pearls pictures of me took more recently:

attachment.php

Is this the right kind of pose?

It's not a million miles from this one...

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy_christina View Post
So my little attempt to recreate this Varga picture,

You look amazing, you have nailed it. I had no idea who Varga was before this, I obviously knew of the pin ups but not him, so have also learnt something

I'm going to LOVE this Varga Emmy and now another temptress from freedom but anything that might restrain her spirit AlliaPotestas

Emmy I can't wait to see more, Maybe I can pick the model and you recreate in your image and vision

It's not, but the things I mentioned earlier are pretty much what the differences are in the two photos. Her pose makes me think of an Art Nouveau nymph, not a pin-up girl.

I take the point but if she'd cropped the head, as a lot of us do, it would look a lot like the print... either way I am very jealous of her body :)

I think it is fair to say I would have never have made a decent Vargas girl, now if you were talking British war posters I may have been passable as a robust land girl, I certainly could have dug for victory...

Anyway I had a go but had to use artistic licence as I don't own anything transparent enough... also in rummaging for something transparent I can see I have left my drawers open - I'm not sure why I'm apologising to an internet of strangers for the state of my bedroom, that is slightly weird...

attachment.php
Oh Yes! You do have the right idea!

Its not a contest but a challenge. There is a major difference. No one said this photo isn't hot. Its very important to READ things before you make a judgement. The photo and the model are both lovely but as OAP said they do not portray the flirtiness and the playful characteristic of a Vargas print. That is the whole point of this challenge. There is a particular theme that the thread starter suggested and the point is to produce a picture in line with that theme.

While I'm in complete agreement with your assessment and comments I'll also point out that there's often a misunderstanding with challenge vs. competition. I'm hoping that one of the positive aspects of this thread will be a better understanding of Vargas girl methodology. He emphasized a flirty, fun form of eroticism in his prints that was universally accepted.

I look forward to seeing the ladies do this. I had fun in a couple boudoir pics that I did once that made me feel "pin-up-ish" so I am sure many will do well with this. :)
You need to post those man, they were really nice!!! :rose:
Nice way to kick it off Icy, oo la la!! :rose:
Here is one of me the same friend who took the pearls pictures of me took more recently:

Is this the right kind of pose?
You are gorgeous, I doubt anyone minds if it's right! ;)
Icy...congrats for a well done job...this is a tough challenge without a photographer. ..
I'm laughing because I think I've missed the mark by a mile...but tadaaaa
I hoped you were in here Ruby, you've always reminded me of pin ups, I love it! :rose:
I think it is fair to say I would have never have made a decent Vargas girl, now if you were talking British war posters I may have been passable as a robust land girl, I certainly could have dug for victory...

Anyway I had a go but had to use artistic licence as I don't own anything transparent enough... also in rummaging for something transparent I can see I have left my drawers open - I'm not sure why I'm apologising to an internet of strangers for the state of my bedroom, that is slightly weird...
I see no drawers, just a gorgeous butt!! :rose:
:kiss::

You are vintage pin up sexy Emmy!! :kiss::heart:

Well done Emmy, the trouble with Vargas is his models are a wet dream image of woman I prefer your photo..

Back