Science! "Hyperadaptationalist"

So...when you say you know I am intolerant, what you mean is you're making stuff up.

Sure, I'm intolerant of lots of things, but they mostly involve when someone isn't consenting to something being forced on them. NOT when someone just doesn't like what some other consenting adult person is doing.

I am traditionally married. What the hell are you going on about? More making stuff up?

I'm sorry, this is the point at which you are required to state that you are for Polygamy and Polyandry and any other form of marriage that allows people in love to be happy. Otherwise, you hate diversity, tolerance, Mormons and Muslims...

:cool: I'm giving you that chance to prove the openness of the average Jersian!

I'm in the suburbs. It's gorgeous. But I'm glad you like where you live, I like Kansas too and would choose to live in a more rural section than urban, it's just more my style. I like space and trees.

I live in the bootheel...

Too many people here, but it was for job and educational opportunities.

It is truly a beautiful place. It is also very prosperous and Republican. Black people and Charlie are welcome and thrive here, or fail too; we have plenty of rednecks. My neighbor died about two years ago. He still used us'ns and we'uns as proper English.

I'm sorry, this is the point at which you are required to state that you are for Polygamy and Polyandry and any other form of marriage that allows people in love to be happy. Otherwise, you hate diversity, tolerance, Mormons and Muslims...

:cool: I'm giving you that chance to prove the openness of the average Jersian!

I am for poly-gender whatever. I'm not for underage, non-consent systems that enforce this.

I do think I should be allowed to have a harem if I so choose.

There are Muslim traditions that marry young and the girl has no choice and that also involves female circumcision and yeah, that is wrong. That follows my rules of not involving adults and not involving consent.

There are some radical Mormon sects that marry young and I'm also against that.

However, that doesn't mean that I don't respect the Muslim and Mormon sects and traditions that don't break my guidelines about adult consent.

And it isn't about the law, there are lots of things that are against the law that I think should be legal. Drug use by adults should be legal, prostitution use by adults should be legal, because they involve consent and there are no victims.

It's when someone uses drugs and then commits a crime that the crime should be prosecuted. Driving is fine and drunk driving isn't.

I'm so glad this word exists.

Anyway, background...

http://www.improbable.com/

Here's a link to the "Annals of Improbable Research" which is associated with the Ig Nobel Awards. The Ig Nobel Awards are given once a year to some of the weirdest research done. For instance...to the developers of people who have figured out pony-tail physics for accurate video representation...

In this case...there's apparently been a theoretical discussion about blushing. The idea that science can't prove that someone blushes in the dark. Now...of course you can and in an improbable development, someone did, by measuring heat on someone's face in the dark.

So that's all silly. Granted. That's why it's improbable research.

But...why do we blush? What is the reason? Does it make sense? To my mind, there's absolutely no "adaptive" reason to blush.

Leading to the word "Hyperadaptationalist" which for me is the theoretical idea that everything in evolution has a reason, a wisdom and a purpose.

In this case...it seems pretty dumb.

So...I ask...what do you guys think is the purpose of blushing? 'Cause I for one can't damned well think of a single reason why it would exist or why it would be adaptive. "Oh look, that person is lying! Let's have sex!"

Science is weird.

Discuss.

I blush a lot. It's annoying. It gives me away.

It's almost like a... weak defence mechanism? I don't know.

Who are you to judge their culture?

INTOLERANT! :mad:

I have a brain. Judging is what I do. Some stuff is okay and some stuff isn't. Focusing on what really isn't means that law enforcement can do their job and that prisons are for those who really belong there.

I blush a lot. It's annoying. It gives me away.

It's almost like a... weak defence mechanism? I don't know.

Yeah, that's the funny part of this thought exercise.

So far I think it's just a backfiring of the sympathetic nervous system that has no real relation to anything of use.

Like hiccups. I mean what the fuck, people?

Weird trivia: Ulaven never experiences more than three hiccups in a row. Never. WHAT THE FUCK?

I have a brain. Judging is what I do. Some stuff is okay and some stuff isn't. Focusing on what really isn't means that law enforcement can do their job and that prisons are for those who really belong there.

I cannot talk with the judgmental...

:(

I may have to put you on ignore. IN KANSAS we keep a more open mind to other cultures...

So far I think it's just a backfiring of the sympathetic nervous system that has no real relation to anything of use.

Weird trivia: Ulaven never experiences more than three hiccups in a row. Never. WHAT THE FUCK?

I'm an anomaly, in more ways than one. ;)

Someone thinks that he's SO important that I was talking to him.

Someone thinks very highly of themselves. :cool:

That is weird. :D

Have you seen Ice Age?

Manny:

"What am I? The wet nurse? What are you lookin' at, bone bag?

Look at you. You're gonna grow into a great predator. I don't think so. What have you got? You got a little patch of fur. No fangs, no claws.

You're folds of skin wrapped in mush.

What's so threatening about you?"

That is weird. :D

Have you seen Ice Age?

Manny:

"What am I? The wet nurse? What are you lookin' at, bone bag?

Look at you. You're gonna grow into a great predator. I don't think so. What have you got? You got a little patch of fur. No fangs, no claws.

You're folds of skin wrapped in mush.

What's so threatening about you?"

It is weird, inexplicable and insignificant other than as trivia and standing there in suspense as he says "1...2...3...yup, that's it."

Where's The Baby? THERE HE IS!

Not when you keep tossing your politics into the arena.

Being gay isn't about politics any more than being straight is.

Being a woman isn't about politics any more than being a man is.

They're things you are, and they are also things you can discuss.

If you choose to believe that someone is just being gay to chap your ass, and I'm being a woman to defy you personally, then that's your politics.

Check out how many politically provocative threads and comments you make compared to mine and get back to me.

You tend to be the one bringing politics into the discussion and showing all your butthurt on the subject, making sure everything YOU want is what's right and good and what other people want is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

And then because I point it out, it's obviously because I hate men and hate Republicans and I'm some radicalized stoned feminazi rather than someone who just thinks you're being an ass from time to time.

Why do you think there has to be an evolutionary advantage to blushing?

Conditions like blushing are simply consequences of biology. Some of those consequences give an advantage and some don't.

So...I ask...what do you guys think is the purpose of blushing? 'Cause I for one can't damned well think of a single reason why it would exist or why it would be adaptive. "Oh look, that person is lying! Let's have sex!"

Science is weird.

Discuss.
i blush easily. always have. often inappropriately.
not the sex-flush thing, mind - that's a given, specially with my fair colouring. even if i'm engagin' the brain quite hard with some computer-struggle (flaming things) then the upsurge of blood to my brain (to push oxygen into the places needing more thinking-power) causes flushed cheeks, throat and upper front chest :rolleyes:

but normal, regular blushing? it all stems (for me) about bringing attention to myself as me. not online, in the flesh. not acting, since that's not me. not about discussing my writing, that's my writing. i can tell a huge lie and not blush, because it's almost always a case of letting others know immediately it's a story and more about trying out an idea. BUT i can tell the smallest thing about myself, non-sexual, silly things, and flush the deepest purple. wtf? the worst of it is that i know people associate blushing with lying or sexual connotation, and don't want them to get that impression which then serves to embarrass me more!

i remember from school, a teacher reading my work over my shoulder and commenting to the class how he wished others would read what i wrote because they'd get a better idea of what they should be doing. holy crap. not because he was, in fact, praising my writing, but the fact he was drawing a huge red arrow aimed at me and suspending it over my head. i burned with embarrassment. it's not a great thing to do to a kid in a class full of kids, some of whom already had ideas about snobbery and elitism where i was concerned when all i wanted to do was be pretty much invisible then. :eek:

The facial coloring is the signal, and the message is in other responses. Your face can be red for sundry reasons...drunk, rage, physical exertion, etc. Its the other signs that give up the meaning...heavy breathing, tension, gait, slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, calm demeanor. The red color simply attracts your attention.
and that's the bummer - i blush because i've attracted attention to myself and that serves to further the attention and makes me uncomfortable. it's a no-win thing. i don't blush prettily, it's a full-on deep glow. ugh.

There's even a dysfunction in those who blush floridly and inappropriately at the tiniest of stimuli.

Blushing is often experienced while lying, getting caught at something, being embarrassed...it indicates so many damned things, none of which are terribly helpful for the blusher.
so i'm dysfunctional now. great. :rolleyes: i blame my mother. as a kid, i remember with extreme clarity her expressing what may have been a throwaway comment: ladies don't behave that way in public, bringing attention to themselves. holy crap, am i hung up on not being ladylike? *groans*

Weird trivia: Ulaven never experiences more than three hiccups in a row.
Never. WHAT THE FUCK?
when i was at work in london offices, a colleague explained this to me: swallow three times without breathing inbetween swallows, your hiccups go away. and that wasn't in a sexually-linked situation, either. and he was right. it controls the diaphragm thingummy. that little odd bit inside that jumps up and down with the hiccuping. he said he was taught it in basic army training. don't know if he was spinning me a story, though :D and when did hiccups become hiccups and not hiccoughs? (stupid english word :rolleyes: )

Conditions like blushing are simply consequences of biology. Some of those consequences give an advantage and some don't.

Right, that's exactly my point. I love the word "hyperadaptationalist" because it explains the behavior of trying to make each and every bit of genetic evolutionary selection look as though it were adaptive, when in fact there are many aspects that are maladaptive or neutral or mechanical.

It's interesting to consider why it might be there at all, but I think some folks get obsessive about finding and/or accepting an adaptational argument when it's really only speculation.

i blush easily. always have. often inappropriately.
not the sex-flush thing, mind - that's a given, specially with my fair colouring. even if i'm engagin' the brain quite hard with some computer-struggle (flaming things) then the upsurge of blood to my brain (to push oxygen into the places needing more thinking-power) causes flushed cheeks, throat and upper front chest :rolleyes:

but normal, regular blushing? it all stems (for me) about bringing attention to myself as me. not online, in the flesh. not acting, since that's not me. not about discussing my writing, that's my writing. i can tell a huge lie and not blush, because it's almost always a case of letting others know immediately it's a story and more about trying out an idea. BUT i can tell the smallest thing about myself, non-sexual, silly things, and flush the deepest purple. wtf? the worst of it is that i know people associate blushing with lying or sexual connotation, and don't want them to get that impression which then serves to embarrass me more!

i remember from school, a teacher reading my work over my shoulder and commenting to the class how he wished others would read what i wrote because they'd get a better idea of what they should be doing. holy crap. not because he was, in fact, praising my writing, but the fact he was drawing a huge red arrow aimed at me and suspending it over my head. i burned with embarrassment. it's not a great thing to do to a kid in a class full of kids, some of whom already had ideas about snobbery and elitism where i was concerned when all i wanted to do was be pretty much invisible then. :eek:

and that's the bummer - i blush because i've attracted attention to myself and that serves to further the attention and makes me uncomfortable. it's a no-win thing. i don't blush prettily, it's a full-on deep glow. ugh.

so i'm dysfunctional now. great. :rolleyes: i blame my mother. as a kid, i remember with extreme clarity her expressing what may have been a throwaway comment: ladies don't behave that way in public, bringing attention to themselves. holy crap, am i hung up on not being ladylike? *groans*

when i was at work in london offices, a colleague explained this to me: swallow three times without breathing inbetween swallows, your hiccups go away. and that wasn't in a sexually-linked situation, either. and he was right. it controls the diaphragm thingummy. that little odd bit inside that jumps up and down with the hiccuping. he said he was taught it in basic army training. don't know if he was spinning me a story, though :D and when did hiccups become hiccups and not hiccoughs? (stupid english word :rolleyes: )

Yeah, you're describing it as a flush of embarrassment, and that's part of my point. A blush does not signal just one thing or even one of those things with accuracy. So why do we do it and why is it there and for me it's a physiological bug, not a feature.

One teaspoon of sugar usually fixes hiccups for me. The breathing thing doesn't. I've tried it!

For some people some stuff works, for some people other stuff works, and some of us only do it three times...which makes no damned sense in the world at all.

Why did somebody shorten Convent Garden to Covent Garden? Makes no sense.

Yeah, you're describing it as a flush of embarrassment, and that's part of my point. A blush does not signal just one thing or even one of those things with accuracy. So why do we do it and why is it there and for me it's a physiological bug, not a feature.

One teaspoon of sugar usually fixes hiccups for me. The breathing thing doesn't. I've tried it!

For some people some stuff works, for some people other stuff works, and some of us only do it three times...which makes no damned sense in the world at all.

Why did somebody shorten Convent Garden to Covent Garden? Makes no sense.

i need debugging :eek:

you're an anomaly! (re teh breathing thing :D )

Henry VIII

Its a time-saver. Like stomach growls.

i need debugging :eek:

you're an anomaly! (re teh breathing thing :D )

Henry VIII

When I mean dysfunction, I don't just mean "blushing easily" like you, I mean those people who have a completely hyperactive sympathetic system that causes constant and uncontrollable blushing and hyperhidrosis (profuse and constant sweating)

There's surgery for it I think.

But yeah, I'm an anomaly in lots of ways too!

Back