"The British are Bumming"

"Bumming" in the US could mean angry and/or depressed, a usage related to "That's a bummer, man," or "I'm bummed out about school right now."

It can also mean borrowing, as in "I been bumming cigarettes for days now," but that makes no sense in context. It wouldn't have anything to do with anal sex.

My best guess is that someone tried to get cute and used "bumming" to replace "mooning".

Since I'm not completely sure if this was a purely American practice, or if it continued after... oh, the '70s, I should probably explain. "Mooning" was the practice of turning around and dropping trousers and showing your naked ass to someone.

I know. I never quite understood it either.

Any road, my best guess is that one of my fellow Americans knew enough British colloquialism to know the word "bum" is used when we might use "butt" or "ass". But, didn't have the first clue beyond that and chose to try using it to replace "mooning".

My best guess is that someone tried to get cute and used "bumming" to replace "mooning".

Since I'm not completely sure if this was a purely American practice, or if it continued after... oh, the '70s, I should probably explain. "Mooning" was the practice of turning around and dropping trousers and showing your naked ass to someone.

I know. I never quite understood it either.

Any road, my best guess is that one of my fellow Americans knew enough British colloquialism to know the word "bum" is used when we might use "butt" or "ass". But, didn't have the first clue beyond that and chose to try using it to replace "mooning".

As I understood it, the term "Mooning" comes from the idea of pasty-white skin (moon-bathing) as opposed to the healthy tan of sun-bathing.
It is not complimantary.

Back