Category question from me, again

C

CoffeeWithMonkeys

Guest
Seems like that's what I ask about the most.

I have a couple stories I'm editing to submit here and neither have any sex until several chapters in. Should I post those first few in non erotic and then when there is a chapter with sex post that one in whatever category I think they fit in?
And that will probably be EC since I just use it as a default.

Thanks!
 
I try not to use multiple categories...

I find it confuses and enrages many readers. I'd be inclined myself to put it all in EC, and then just add a note at the beginning about a slow burn and build-up.

But that's my thinking on the subject. Maybe there is merit in dividing it, but I wouldn't do that with my readers, who get confused and angry easily, it seems. :/
 
I see no reason why a story without sex shouldn't fit in other categories than non-erotic. 'Erotic' isn't the same as 'Sex'. Burlesque, striptease, pole dance, lap dance; I would consider each of those erotic, but is it sex?

On the other hand, there are several examples of descriptions and depictions of sexual acts that have nothing to do with erotica.

The correct category really depends on the content of those chapters, and you should consider more than just sex.

You know what, you are completely right! Erotic isn't sex. Not sure why I was lumping it all together.

In the case of the first story that I submitted the first chapter of tonight, it's a post apocalyptic story where a guy and girl eventually get together and the girl is trying to decide if they really love each other or if they're just destined to be together since there aren't many other people left and they may have to just settle since there's no one else left.
Not sure what other category it would go in? EC is just my default.

The other one has some horror touches to it so maybe EH for it.
 
If, in the end, it is just a 'cold calculation', EC seems okay to me, but could it be a 'Romance' story? I think 'Romance' readers do like stories in which the characters are questioning their decisions. Is it a 'Happily Ever After' story?

It could go in Romance probably, or maybe even First Time because the protagonist is 18, was supposed to be heading off to college before most of the world got wiped out. She's never had a boyfriend, or had sex. So the first time is kind of a huge deal in the story.

I think I will change the category since I just submitted it tonight that won't put it to far back in being posted, or rejected, just not sure which now, Romance or First Time.
I'm thinking Romance since it is a fairly long story, several chapters, that don't end the story once they get past that first time.

Thanks Ruben!
 
What size chapters are we talking about? If they are short, 203k, then put them all together as one. I don't know why people are so afraid to post long stories. The long build up can be a big turn on in first time and romance.
 
Sci Fi maybe, depending on the content and how much this post-apocalyptic world is discussed/central to the plot?
 
Seems like that's what I ask about the most.

I have a couple stories I'm editing to submit here and neither have any sex until several chapters in. Should I post those first few in non erotic and then when there is a chapter with sex post that one in whatever category I think they fit in?

I don't recommend it. People who read and like the first couple of chapters in Non-Erotic will miss the rest of the series; people in EC (or wherever) who might otherwise have liked it will probably pass if the first thing they see of it is several chapters in.

I recently posted one in Lesbian Sex with an intro note to the effect of "this chapter is all background, the sex doesn't start until chapter 2" and there were no complaints. Chapter 1 rated almost as high as Chapter 2, which is pretty good since chapter story ratings usually increase over the first few episodes.
 
If, in the end, it is just a 'cold calculation', EC seems okay to me, but could it be a 'Romance' story? I think 'Romance' readers do like stories in which the characters are questioning their decisions. Is it a 'Happily Ever After' story?

What size chapters are we talking about? If they are short, 203k, then put them all together as one. I don't know why people are so afraid to post long stories. The long build up can be a big turn on in first time and romance.

203k ?
Is that letters or words (as far as I know a 'short story' is not as long as a book ?)
I'd suggest 12-15K words (4-5 Lit pages ?
 
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I switched it to Romance because in the end it's romantic, at least in my opinion.

I don't think it is enough sci fi to go in that category. While it is about a couple in a post apocalyptic world, the story centers more on the couple than what's going on around them.

I have no idea how many words it is, I type in either Blogger or google drive, and this one was typed in blogger(so I could send links to my friend to proofread) and I can't do a word count there.
And honestly, I don't read long stories here. I want to, but I don't have the time to sit and read a story that's over 3 pages long.
So I always seem to think other people reading here don't have the time to sit and read a whole long story all at once either.
Probably a shitty way of thinking but my mind works in odd ways.

But thanks everyone for the thoughts, I really do appreciate them all.
 
I was having a similar debate with myself, having a story with 16 chapters which is pretty generic in terms of category, but after that there's some incest going on for a couple of chapters. Since it suits the story I got some advice to publish those chapters into I/T, but looking back now (and reading up a bit on how the I/T crowd reacts) I have decided against it. People reading the first parts might miss out on the rest due to it being in a different category and people in I/T might get annoyed because they missed all of the background of the characters. One actually has to follow me in order to find the other chapters scattered throughout the categories.

My experience on non-sex or slow build-up seems to indicate that people tolerate it when it's a multi-chapter story. I suppose people who want to jump right into the sex-stuff prefer the shorter ones, whereas people who appreciate longer stories apparently appreciate a little background and characters that actually feel more realistic. I'm one of the latter ones myself; I don't mind reading a couple of chapters if that means the sex-scenes actually fit the story.

My own story usually contains only one sex-scene in a chapter, sometimes not even any if it doesn't fit the plot at that moment. Haven't posted one of those chapters yet, so I'm curious how people react when they encounter a non-sex chapter. So far (two chapters in) I've gotten pretty good ratings and responses though, so I guess people reading my story actually appreciate the storybuilding despite the meager amount of sex.
 
Back
Top