Updating the Literotica Editor's program....

kimber22

Literotica Betterknower
Hi guys,

I just uploaded my editors profile. (For German / Deutsch) When doing so, I did a search about my things, and noticed: many of the "registered Editors" havent been on for a long time...

I attach a single file, depicting "active editors" who have last edited their profile in 2008... or 2009... (or 2013, which is still 3 years ago...)

I think, this should be "entrümpelt", as we say in German... ;)

let me know what you think,
kimber

Last edited:
Just because their profile hasn't been updated doesn't necessarily mean they are not active. As it stands now, it is up to the individual to either update or remove their editors profile. There is no programme of the admin having a regular purge.

The whole site, I understand, is slowly going through an upgrade, but I suspect the editor programme is low on the list of priorities.

I think the Web site owners set the system up so advertisers thought the Web site had such a nifty feature and then walked away from it to the point where it doesn't need updated, it needs to have a stake driven through its heart.

I've come to the conclusion that there aren't, and never will be, enough VE's for the number of stories published on Lit.

Just because their profile hasn't been updated doesn't necessarily mean they are not active. As it stands now, it is up to the individual to either update or remove their editors profile. There is no programme of the admin having a regular purge.

The whole site, I understand, is slowly going through an upgrade, but I suspect the editor programme is low on the list of priorities.

I'm not talking about "regular purge". I'm talking about profiles entered in 2007, last updated 2007, last story published 2007, last post 2007. That is 9 years ago.

If I look at the Volunteer Editor Program für German, I'd say, it's about 80-90%... "editors" who, I think, are not here anymore... (or have never been) "no submissions yet"... (how, I wonder, can someone volunteer for editor, if he or she doesn't even have written a single text yet?)

A user, below, put that especially telling:
I have had exactly the opposite problem.
Over the last two weeks I have sent notes to over a dozen editors via the 'find an editor' link on the 'stories' front page and had not one single reply.
NOT EVEN A POLITE NO THANKS!!
I ended up just publishing and will no doubt be damned!
Where are all you editors?

I'm not talking about "regular purge". I'm talking about profiles entered in 2007, last updated 2007, last story published 2007, last post 2007. That is 9 years ago.

If I look at the Volunteer Editor Program für German, I'd say, it's about 80-90%... "editors" who, I think, are not here anymore... (or have never been) "no submissions yet"... (how, I wonder, can someone volunteer for editor, if he or she doesn't even have written a single text yet?):

Well I know I wouldn't fancy the job of contacting each person on the VE programme to verify they wanted to remain. That would need to be done to ensure that they don't remove any that are still active but not updated their profile.

As for editors without submissions I don't see your point. I am one such person and have been editing for around two years on here and other sites with a regular supply of text passing my way. ( the inference must be I do a good enough job even though I am not a professional editor). My mind doesn't work in the way needed to write fictional text, so I don't attempt it. Most of my working life was taken up with writing operation manuals. Strict factual documents so that any half literate person could carry out a specific task without prior knowledge of what was expected.

As far as I can tell, the Volunteer Editor web page doesn't work. I've contacted numerous editors who have just signed up and have not received a reply from any of them. I don't know if they need to check some setting like can receive mail that they don't know they need to check. I contacted my first editor in 2013 through the Volunteer Editor web page, so it worked at some point.

As far as I can tell, the Volunteer Editor web page doesn't work. I've contacted numerous editors who have just signed up and have not received a reply from any of them. I don't know if they need to check some setting like can receive mail that they don't know they need to check. I contacted my first editor in 2013 through the Volunteer Editor web page, so it worked at some point.

True it isn't the most effective way of contacting editors, by far the best is to use this forum.

Having said that the VE does send an email to the editor at their original address used to set up the account. The problem for me then is one of not wanting my email address being known until I know more about the request. The request states that we have to reply direct to the requester by email, and I am not prepared to do this. My profile shows that I will only reply by PM through the forum where I can remain anonymous until I decide to reveal my email. Unfortunately several of the recent requesters haven't set up PM's correctly or at all so I cannot reply.

Admin are aware and agree that there are some confidentiality issues with the VE system, and they will eventually get fixed.

I don't see how you can use the PM system only to convey a word-tracked edit. You just open an e-mail account dedicated to this sort of thing.

I don't see how you can use the PM system only to convey a word-tracked edit. You just open an e-mail account dedicated to this sort of thing.

I have, and use it specifically for this type of thing, but I still don't want the address being given out to people I decide not to work with. Using the PM system allows me to converse with the writer and decide whether I think their content, time scale etc. will fit in.

If I reply to the request from the VE system, them my email is broadcast without any knowledge of what is required. I don't want that. My profile as a VE states clearly that I will reply by PM only and how they should set that up, so there can be no complaints about a non reply. It is their loss not mine if I cannot reply in that way. Once I decide I will work with that person, I PM my email address and use that for future communications.

Sort of..maybe...perhaps

I've come to the conclusion that there aren't, and never will be, enough VE's for the number of stories published on Lit.

Looking at the majority of stories, it's not that there aren't enough editors - it's simply that most writers don't use them (for whatever reason). It seems that only a small proportion of writers regularly acknowledge the work of an editor in polishing their story.

However, to be fair, either some of those editors are themselves worse than useless, or the authors are taking what has been edited, re-editing it themselves (very badly), then posting it without referring it back to the editor for further tidying up. It's impossible to tell.

Need better "searchability"

This is the first time I've actually looked at the forum, even though I've been a member for several years (having lurked before that) and have been an editor for quite a while now. One thing that has puzzled me for a while, when looking at the Volunteer Editors list, is that it's only in reverse time order, with the newest entries being the latest, as per this:

"VE Profiles are listed in chronological order of when they were submitted or updated. You will probably have better luck with VEs listed on the first few pages."

That seems discriminatory to those of us who haven't NEEDED to change or update our profiles. Why can't this section also be listed in alphabetical order, so that you can search for an editor as stated in that page? Added to which, there are at least three on the first page of the latest list with spelling mistakes in the information they've posted!!!!

" Search: You can search the editor list if you are looking for someone specific."

No, you can't! There are several editors whose work has been lavishly praised by authors over the years, but you can't find them without searching through hundreds (thousands?) of pages. Nobody has time to do that.

It's a good question that should go directly to Laurel by PM, although I think she's probably just forgotten the Web site had such a "service." with luck the update Manu is trying to roll out just drives a stake through the program's heart.

My feeling is when Laurel set it up she thought it would be a great feature-which it is-but she also set it up to run itself. Being people are...people. Many started then bailed and some that are there just really aren't helping much.

But there's no way the site is ever going to invest any time in trying to wipe out all the abandoned profiles etc....

But I bet it survives all the changes.

For the record, the best and quickest way of finding editorial or beta read (which often is enough) has become help is to ask directly on this forum. Remember to give the category and wordage of what you want help with (and it's always more easy to get a relationship set up with help by asked for help on a short piece first rather than an open-ended series or 120,000 word novel).

For the record, the best and quickest way of finding editorial or beta read (which often is enough) has become help is to ask directly on this forum. Remember to give the category and wordage of what you want help with (and it's always more easy to get a relationship set up with help by asked for help on a short piece first rather than an open-ended series or 120,000 word novel).

It would probably be helpful if the site redirected the volunteer editors link so that it came here, but the site is SO conservative that even simple improvements like that won't happen.

Looking at the majority of stories, it's not that there aren't enough editors - it's simply that most writers don't use them (for whatever reason). It seems that only a small proportion of writers regularly acknowledge the work of an editor in polishing their story.

However, to be fair, either some of those editors are themselves worse than useless, or the authors are taking what has been edited, re-editing it themselves (very badly), then posting it without referring it back to the editor for further tidying up. It's impossible to tell.

Have you looked at the number of Lit stories tnat are posted daily? There is no way in hell there are enough VE's to edit them. Many VE's don't want the Lit writer to mention them for various reasons.

The primary problem with Lit authors seeking a VE is that too many of the authors have ADD when it comes to giving the info that a VE needs to make a decision if a story is worth their time editing. If an author can't state word count, category, and story premise in their initial request, and still can't state this info after a VE requests it, the author has his/her head up their ass.

It's a good question that should go directly to Laurel by PM, although I think she's probably just forgotten the Web site had such a "service." with luck the update Manu is trying to roll out just drives a stake through the program's heart.

Copied here is part of a reply from Manu about the VE programme to a PM I sent a while back. We just need to wait and see.

"As part of the new Control Panel, we are going to completely re-do the Volunteer Editor system. It was never really "finished" in the first place. The original idea was to have editors get credit on stories they edit as well as allowing editors to be ranked by various criteria.

We will also be rolling out a messaging system on the main Lit site, which should take care of both the PM permissions issue and the privacy issues that you brought up.

Neither of these features will be rolled out in version 1.0, but both of them are already in various stages of development. We are going to try to get the bugs out of the core system, and then move on to the Editors Program, Messaging, and Series Management."

Two weeks later... Not one!

Just want to put out there that I contacted between 12 and 20 VEs and not one responded! After four days I finally posted a new thread asking for help. That seemed to do the trick. The only thing I would like to say is be careful emailing to volunteers... Make sure they match up to the contact thru Literotica.

Copied here is part of a reply from Manu about the VE programme to a PM I sent a while back. We just need to wait and see.

"As part of the new Control Panel, we are going to completely re-do the Volunteer Editor system. It was never really "finished" in the first place. The original idea was to have editors get credit on stories they edit as well as allowing editors to be ranked by various criteria.

We will also be rolling out a messaging system on the main Lit site, which should take care of both the PM permissions issue and the privacy issues that you brought up.

Neither of these features will be rolled out in version 1.0, but both of them are already in various stages of development. We are going to try to get the bugs out of the core system, and then move on to the Editors Program, Messaging, and Series Management."

Thanks for passing that on. If he's saying they are going to "finish" the system along cited functions, it's just going to be worse than it is. The editor isn't the last one to have the work before it's posted, so there's no saying that the editor is responsible for what was posted and you'll have all sorts of critiques of how something was edited when the editor isn't the one who left it that way. Also, there are very (very!) few real editors here, so review help here can improve something a bit (if it doesn't actually take it in the other direction) but it rarely reaches the level of a competent edit. So either identifying "editors" by story or rating them (who has the expertise to rate them? Not the author who needed the help.) will be a real contentious mess.

The Web site should just not pretend that it connects authors with "editors." Having authors and review helpers able to hook up here on this forum with no claimed Web site vetting/involvement is the best solution. The VE system should just be deleted from the Web site.

Pretty much what I got out of that reply was they never finished the VE program, knew it and have left it unfinished for how long? I've been here six years and it was here before me.

Now they're saying it will have all these features, but not in "1.0" how long between 1.0 and the end? 10 years?

Meanwhile the person who runs this site spends her days joking around and posting with some of the worst trolls on the site while things like this have been broken for years.

Says a lot.

Now they're saying it will have all these features, but not in "1.0" how long between 1.0 and the end? 10 years?

With so little commitment shown, I would interpret "not in 1.0" to mean "not now, maybe not ever."

I have, and use it specifically for this type of thing, but I still don't want the address being given out to people I decide not to work with. Using the PM system allows me to converse with the writer and decide whether I think their content, time scale etc. will fit in.

If I reply to the request from the VE system, them my email is broadcast without any knowledge of what is required. I don't want that. My profile as a VE states clearly that I will reply by PM only and how they should set that up, so there can be no complaints about a non reply. It is their loss not mine if I cannot reply in that way. Once I decide I will work with that person, I PM my email address and use that for future communications.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Pretty much what I got out of that reply was they never finished the VE program, knew it and have left it unfinished for how long? I've been here six years and it was here before me.

I don't want to dump on the site, because (a) I'm a noob here and (b) FFS, it's free. I'll put up with some scratches and dents for "free."

However, having said that: If the VE pages are broken, which they seem to be, they should just be yanked and replaced with a link to this forum. That would've saved me a week of waiting for emails that never came.

I don't want to dump on the site, because (a) I'm a noob here and (b) FFS, it's free. I'll put up with some scratches and dents for "free."

However, having said that: If the VE pages are broken, which they seem to be, they should just be yanked and replaced with a link to this forum. That would've saved me a week of waiting for emails that never came.

It's not like this hasn't been pointed out for eight years that I know of. One owner of the site called me a troll for saying so several years ago while saying everything functions on this Web site as it should function. (Only in the last couple of months did the other owner acknowledge that the VE system never even was finished being built.)

I think the issue is that advertisers like to see a lot of bells of whistles. So, we've got a lot of bells and whistles on the claimed site functions that are programs that actually never were completed and others that have broken down--and we're told of updates coming "soon"--for a decade and more. You can do the math on that.

Back