what I miss is content and substance

glBock

Loves Spam
Not only in most Personal ads here, but in many PMs I receive as well. Substantial content IMHO is what differentiates a mere reply from a heartfelt response.

Lately I thought I had the problem licked, which is caused by the ratio of 10-20 men to one woman on the Lit pages. I stopped relying on replies to my ads, because my kind of ads tend to attract only a small number of women anyway. And at least half of the "replies" I get are just words that remain very much on the surface.

Instead I started responding to great ad posts I see here and there; posts which strongly resonate with me. And indeed my reply ratio shot up dramatically. Unfortunately these type of posts are becoming ever rarer with time, so it seems. Plus not all PMs I get back tell me that the content I saw in her ad was what she had really meant to say. Or that she has indeed understood fully, what I wrote her. So the true problem of contact ads here for me lies in a lack of the kind of substance I seek.

I suspect the fact, that more and more ads here have just about as much substance as the tweets from a famous person -- still a bit new in DC -- is at least one reason why ever fewer women with more on their mind, refrain from looking for a partner in the Personals today, compared to earlier times. And so many sets of two people, who have a lot to give to one another, are having an increasingly harder time meeting up here.

Now you may ask, what good will all these words do anybody? For sure they won't do the women any good, who I would not want to meet anyway; I figure they did not read my post up to this point anyway.

But if you are one of those rare women with significantly more substance in your heart and in your head than most of your peers here, and if you feel you resonate with my rambling words just now – if you perhaps also like what I have written into my two signature posts – then perhaps you'll also feel a desire to respond to my ad with a PM. Who knows, this could well turn out great for the two of us.

Not only in most Personal ads here, but in many PMs I receive as well. Substantial content IMHO is what differentiates a mere reply from a heartfelt response.

Lately I thought I had the problem licked, which is caused by the ratio of 10-20 men to one woman on the Lit pages. I stopped relying on replies to my ads, because my kind of ads tend to attract only a small number of women anyway. And at least half of the "replies" I get are just words that remain very much on the surface.

Instead I started responding to great ad posts I see here and there; posts which strongly resonate with me. And indeed my reply ratio shot up dramatically. Unfortunately these type of posts are becoming ever rarer with time, so it seems. Plus not all PMs I get back tell me that the content I saw in her ad was what she had really meant to say. Or that she has indeed understood fully, what I wrote her. So the true problem of contact ads here for me lies in a lack of the kind of substance I seek.

I suspect the fact, that more and more ads here have just about as much substance as the tweets from a famous person -- still a bit new in DC -- is at least one reason why ever fewer women with more on their mind, refrain from looking for a partner in the Personals today, compared to earlier times. And so many sets of two people, who have a lot to give to one another, are having an increasingly harder time meeting up here.

Now you may ask, what good will all these words do anybody? For sure they won't do the women any good, who I would not want to meet anyway; I figure they did not read my post up to this point anyway.

But if you are one of those rare women with significantly more substance in your heart and in your head than most of your peers here, and if you feel you resonate with my rambling words just now – if you perhaps also like what I have written into my two signature posts – then perhaps you'll also feel a desire to respond to my ad with a PM. Who knows, this could well turn out great for the two of us.

Hey lovely, I just wanted to wish you luck. I am not sure the gender imbalance is to blame, I receive plenty of PMs lacking substance. Sometimes a copied and pasted version is sent to me more than once by blokes who clearly don’t remember they’ve already done so... I always respond politely, thank them for their comments but I rarely respond with anything more... two way street, x

I sincerely wish you luck, the world can be a lonely place when you crave that deeper connection and are met with the most basic lip service, :kiss:

Hey lovely, I just wanted to wish you luck. I am not sure the gender imbalance is to blame, I receive plenty of PMs lacking substance. Sometimes a copied and pasted version is sent to me more than once by blokes who clearly don’t remember they’ve already done so... I always respond politely, thank them for their comments but I rarely respond with anything more... two way street, x

I sincerely wish you luck, the world can be a lonely place when you crave that deeper connection and are met with the most basic lip service, :kiss:

Alia-san. you wrote me some true words a couple of days ago. Thank you very much. And also for your good wishes.

I wish you all the best as well, including a lot of luck for your next PMs

Agree

My own experience matches yours for the most part. Most p.m. or chat room respondents are seemingly capable of no more than one or two lines of text. A lot of them do seem to enjoy the erotic images I include in our conversation, but the response to those is normally something profound like 'that's hot'. And very few will respond with images they want to share with me.

Occasionally I have had the pleasure of an extended p.m. exchange with women who are literate and responsive. And who have read my Lit posts and comment on them. Those chats usually last only a few days then seem to die off, but they are fun while they last.

My own experience matches yours for the most part. Most p.m. or chat room respondents are seemingly capable of no more than one or two lines of text. A lot of them do seem to enjoy the erotic images I include in our conversation, but the response to those is normally something profound like 'that's hot'. And very few will respond with images they want to share with me.

Occasionally I have had the pleasure of an extended p.m. exchange with women who are literate and responsive. And who have read my Lit posts and comment on them. Those chats usually last only a few days then seem to die off, but they are fun while they last.

Thanks a lot for your response, txgent. I find it interesting, and in many ways revealing, how much our experiences match.

Almost as if the true meaning of "Literotica Personals" were
"this is the right place for illiterate women to gather.

But you and I have made a second matching observation. which intrigues me: when a good conversation develops, it seems to (almost) always peter out after just a few days.

Do you have any guesses as to why that seems to be so? I have a few of mine, but I like to ask you for yours first.

Thanks a lot for your response, txgent. I find it interesting, and in many ways revealing, how much our experiences match.

"this is the right place for illiterate women to gather.

But you and I have made a second matching observation. which intrigues me: when a good conversation develops, it seems to (almost) always peter out after just a few days.

Do you have any guesses as to why that seems to be so? I have a few of mine, but I like to ask you for yours first.

I'm a woman and not looking for a man but... I would have to say that a good deal of my PMs come out the same way. I'll type out many sentences, only to get a few words back in response. And often those words are what the guy wants from me or wants to do to me or something like that. It's not just here either. That seems to be the way of the Internet.

So want some more cheese with that wine?

I’ll admit I’m pretty jaded right now. That’s cause I had my share of fire day in the loot mines of Lit.

As abhorrent as it may sound to an intellectual. You have to get bublegead and flirt. Go on the playground threads, darkroom, HT.

Tell someone you’d like, suck, fuck their toes for a couple of days on different threads.

Then you earn some trust, personality, depth.

Hopefully you’ll find someone like I was who will slip into you dark mind and fill your cavern with a experience that brings some of us back to Lit chasing more.

I'm a woman and not looking for a man but... I would have to say that a good deal of my PMs come out the same way. I'll type out many sentences, only to get a few words back in response. And often those words are what the guy wants from me or wants to do to me or something like that. It's not just here either. That seems to be the way of the Internet.

Jada, I apologize to you for forgetting in my remarks to txgent all the moronic men who come to Lit as well. Thank you for pointing out that the behavior we dislike, and more so the attitude underlying it, is not limited to women only.

I don't really know what may be the root cause of what the three of us bemoan. I suspected once that the tweets from a well-known man in Washington, who was not there yet 28 months ago, may have contributed to this lack of manners increasing so much lately, but that is not a sufficient explanation, I know.

Your suspicion, Jada, "the internet": I don't quite buy that either. There was a lot of good communication on the internet before the iPhone came along.

I tend to believe that Steve Jobs had more to do with it, indirectly, because the introduction of his second iToy spawned "social" media, in reality gathering places for a lot of uncivilized people. I suspect that people simply "unlearn" much of whatever communicative skills they may have possessed once, when they get addicted to using Twitter.

But the real root cause may well be that a part of humanity is simply drifting back into the stone age, with all the technological advances that surround us now.

So want some more cheese with that wine?

I’ll admit I’m pretty jaded right now. That’s cause I had my share of fire day in the loot mines of Lit.

As abhorrent as it may sound to an intellectual. You have to get bublegead and flirt. Go on the playground threads, darkroom, HT.

Tell someone you’d like, suck, fuck their toes for a couple of days on different threads.

Then you earn some trust, personality, depth.

Hopefully you’ll find someone like I was who will slip into you dark mind and fill your cavern with a experience that brings some of us back to Lit chasing more.

Scent, what a beautiful user name you chose!

Thanks for your suggestion. I gather that you are the most satisfied with Lit of all of us. And probably because you don't frequent the "Personal" as much as other places.

Congratulations to you! I suppose your luck has to do with your particular attitude also. I caught your recent thank you note to all, that's what I mean. That is an attitude, which not many people have here, I posit. Good luck for you in the future as well!

another observation for you, Jada

I just had another thought on the comment you made, Jada: not the internet per se is the real villain, but using the internet "on the go" so much, I believe. Ever since those iToys designed in Cupertino became available. (not FROM Cupertino, rather from factories in China, manned by slave labor)

Meaningful communications simply require time to think, and when people feel they must write something on the go, they cannot possibly have that time. And this entire idea of "on the go" writing is becoming ever more ingrained in our culture nowadays.

What do you think? You certainly were on the right track, when you mentioned the internet. …. And an additional factor is also the degradation of language, amplified again by the internet. It is really amazing – I realize only now – how much content you had packed into your short comment on the internet, Jada!

glBlock...Thanks for the kind words to my first post here..., as a "Virgin" here I decided to come in with optimism, which is different than expectations. My optimism is that somewhere out there might be a wonderful lady stuck in the same daily boat ride that I am in, that would like a nice diversion for a few minutes.

I was just reading, and enjoyed, your post about substance. I agree.

I look at it this way, if you are panning for gold you have to sift through a lot of rocks to eventually find that gold nugget....but when you find that nugget...or she finds you...don't cash it in....save it...and cherish it....because as a nugget instead of being one of the rocks, she probably had to sift through a lot of rocks herself to find what she was looking for....make sense?

Any hints or suggestions about the protocol of playing on here are greatly appreciated...even if my expectations don't get met, hopefully I will have some fun on here.

The post under yours is "let's get each other off" by SlickThickRick

Just an observation. The diversity of Lit.

I just had another thought on the comment you made, Jada: not the internet per se is the real villain, but using the internet "on the go" so much, I believe. Ever since those iToys designed in Cupertino became available. (not FROM Cupertino, rather from factories in China, manned by slave labor) Meaningful communications simply require time to think, and when people feel they must write something on the go, they cannot possibly have that time. And this entire idea of "on the go" writing is becoming ever more ingrained in our culture nowadays. What do you think? You certainly were on the right track, when you mentioned the internet. …. And an additional factor is also the degradation of language, amplified again by the internet. It is really amazing – I realize only now – how much content you had packed into your short comment on the internet, Jada!

gL, you make good points. In days (long) gone by, people wrote letters by hand. And people kept written diaries. Those activities by nature require more thought. I do not have Twitter, or Instagram, or the like. I just do not like making quick retorts with so few words. But a lot of people do, and that is the current fashion. And then that segues over to a Lit p.m. exchange. I prefer a fair amount of background and detail to clearly make my point or communicate my thought.

On the other hand...I am apt to include photo imagery in my p.m. conversation as that can communicate more completely than words. So that is a condensed form of communication of a different type.

I use a desktop computer with keyboard and mouse, and a large monitor. I think a lot of people do their Lit communications on a much smaller platform, even a phone. The keyboard is more familiar and comfortable for me (have always been a good typist, and used typewriters, keypunches, and other keyboard type of input devices for many years). A smaller platform is (to me) not conducive for long conversations.

Last edited by a moderator:
"this is the right place for illiterate] women to gather.
But you and I have made a second matching observation. which intrigues me: when a good conversation develops, it seems to (almost) always peter out after just a few days.Do you have any guesses as to why that seems to be so? I have a few of mine, but I like to ask you for yours first.

In one sense the two parties may have said all that they want to. Or that the virtual tryst has run its course. I sometimes refer to them as 'Temporary Internet Friendships'. Sometimes it seems that one party wants more from the other than the other wishes to give. An example: quite a few young women I encounter in p.m. or Lit chat want to call me Daddy and have it that they are my 'little one'. I have gone along with that a couple of times, but increasingly uncomfortable; getting too close to a Lit and societal boundary I don't want to cross. Then the conversation dries up. They are not getting what they want.

Time zones play a factor also; quite often I get contacted by a women several zones away, late in the evening when I am shutting things down for the night.

In one sense the two parties may have said all that they want to. Or that the virtual tryst has run its course. I sometimes refer to them as 'Temporary Internet Friendships'. Sometimes it seems that one party wants more from the other than the other wishes to give. An example: quite a few young women I encounter in p.m. or Lit chat want to call me Daddy and have it that they are my 'little one'. I have gone along with that a couple of times, but increasingly uncomfortable; getting too close to a Lit and societal boundary I don't want to cross. Then the conversation dries up. They are not getting what they want.

Time zones play a factor also; quite often I get contacted by a women several zones away, late in the evening when I am shutting things down for the night.

txgent, I just realized I had never responded to your remarks about possible causes for a conversation petering out.

I find your observations and conclusions intriguing; and the second one may be a good explanation of what happened to me. I had it happen more than once that we got very close, and there seemed to be a lot left in what we wanted to exchange with each other, and then all of a sudden: wham! over and out.

Very likely I had wanted more than she was willing to give. And her particular way of ghosting me (silly excuses, like "my pet has died; I now need to spend 6 months on a deserted island to mourn her") was the only way she knew how to break off an exchange she no longer felt comfortable continuing.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Back