Immortal Love (Closed for Veroe)

IC: Alain De'Montreau

He looked over to the couple that operated this old airfield. "Thank you for looking after my wife as well as you have. I can tell you care deeply for her...and you have my gratitude for that, but we have to head off now and I hope it won't put you out too much."

The couple nodded to him as if he shouldn't have even bothered mentioning it.

He held the door for them as Sonam helped her mother up and Selena said her good byes to the pair airfield operators.

As Sonam led her out of the door she told them, "He will never be swayed... Kesi couldn't even sway him."

Sonam snorted, "Lose his head that might sway him."

"I know he won't be deterred, Selena." He shook his head closing the door, "But I'm not planning on trying to reason with him."

"My teacher would try to spend all of her energy on getting him to see how wrong he is," He took her hand and began heading back up to the logging road. "It worked on me and so many others, god bless Sifu, but after facing Acheron on the bridge I know it won't work on him. He's too far gone."

"So our options are either to keep running for the rest of our lives, and always be looking over our shoulders afraid that he'd find us...and I've already told you that is unacceptable to myself and Sonam." He explained, "So that leaves the other option...we take him out."

"You're right that I can't beat him in a duel. I doubt any one of us could-he's that good with the sword...but there's other ways to kill a man than face to face, even one like us, and this isn't really about the gathering or the prize-not anymore. It's simple really it's him or us and I choose us."

--------------------------X

IC: Acheron and Xia-Na Liu

"Interesting," Xia murmured sipping at the tea, "You seem unbalanced, Acheron. Your chi, it appears off somehow. Have you been sleeping well...any nightmares? It is what I find most intriguing about you."

Acheron blanched at that and dropped the tea cup from his hand. Turning to her tried to regain his composure. "My sleep is fine. My dreams are...peaceful."

"You are a pathetically sad liar," Valeria jumped on his dishonesty, "Even I can see from your eyes that you are not well rested."

He eyed her as if he was indulging a child throwing a tantrum. He waved his tea cup for her. "Go pour me more tea."

Valeria pressed onward, "Hard to avoid Gitana's mental abilities when she is inside your own head. I can only imagine how much joy she is getting from torturing you."

"I'm still waiting little girl," He announced.

"Intriguing hypothesis, Valeria," Xia said sipping her own tea casually, "He did just absorb the quickening of a hyoka and a dream walker's ability would explain his lack of sleep."

"I have no trouble sleeping," Acheron roared to her as he raised up reaching for his rapier. "I am the master of my dreams!"

"Oh dear," Xia said holding out her own empty tea cup towards Valeria, "I seem to have drank all of my tea. Valeria, if you would, please pour us a refill now."

To Acheron she asked, "There is one thing I still wish to understand. After so long chasing Selena down only for her to run and hide from you...why is it that you persist in this rather juvenile game, Acheron? After the first one or two centuries even you should realize the priestess wants nothing to do with you anymore. So why persist as you have rather than devoting yourself to gaining the prize like other immortals have?"

Acheron sat back down, "My reasons are my own. Selena will be made to understand and comply, and the prize will be mine in the end regardless so there's no need to hurry the inevitable outcome of the gathering."
 
Valeria went to get sifu and herself some more tea.

Yes her powers are quite unique... I have seen her take a war veteran from full flashback to sane lucid and even happy. Tea sifu.

She moved to sit down. There was little reason to be kind to their death so she felt no need to be.

I would love to know what all the hyoka has done to his mind.

Sitting down with a smile as she sipped her tea.

_______

Sonam grumbled again.

I am sure we can come up with something... Venice could squeeze his neck till it separates from his pathetic carcass

Selena sighed walking with them.

Let's just get back to the train for now. I do not know this person who you are speaking about but no there is no reaching him. It has been that way for centuries.

She looked from Sonam to. Alain and tried to smile.

Fine we will do this... Together.
 
IC: Alain De'Montreau

"You're right that I can't beat him in a duel. I doubt any one of us could-he's that good with the sword...but there's other ways to kill a man than face to face, even one like us, and this isn't really about the gathering or the prize-not anymore. It's simple really it's him or us and I choose us."

"I am sure we can come up with something..." Sonam grumbled, "Venice could squeeze his neck till it separates from his pathetic carcass."

"I don't know who you're talking about," He told her, "But when we do this we'll need to do it smart. With a guy like him we'll only get one real shot at ending him."

"Let's just get back to the train for now," Selena sighed gesturing to the road from the airfield to the logging road that would lead them back to the train yard, "I do not know this person who you are speaking about but no there is no reaching him. It has been that way for centuries."

"Selena," Alain announced coming up to her to look into her eyes, "I want your word that whatever happens, whatever we do, we do together, right?"

"Fine," She looked from Sonam to. Alain and tried to smile, "We will do this... Together."

He would have wished for some more resolve and/or enthusiasm, but at least it was an improvement from the outright rejection and a determination to go her own way again.

He nodded telling her, "Alright...let's go."

They made their way down the road from the airfield and the logging road and all the way back to the train yard just as their train was about set to leave on its way back up north. They were on their way, together.

------------------------X

IC: Acheron and Xia-Na Liu

"Intriguing hypothesis, Valeria," Xia said sipping her own tea casually, "He did just absorb the quickening of a hyoka and a dream walker's ability would explain his lack of sleep."

"I have no trouble sleeping," Acheron roared to her as he raised up reaching for his rapier. "I am the master of my dreams!"

"Oh dear," Xia said holding out her own empty tea cup towards Valeria, "I seem to have drank all of my tea. Valeria, if you would, please pour us a refill now."

Valeria finally got up to serve more tea, but Acheron glowered when she only took Xia's tea cup to refill. "Yes her powers are quite unique... I have seen her take a war veteran from full flashback to sane lucid and even happy."

She returned handing Xia her cup again, Tea, Sifu?"

Taking the cup she nodded her gratitude, "Thank you Valeria."

Valeria sat back down and picked her own tea cup agan, "I would love to know what all the hyoka has done to his mind."

"Indeed," Xia commented to her sipping her refilled tea, "She must be truly terrorizing him in his nightmares."

To Acheron Xia asked, "There is one thing I still wish to understand. After so long chasing Selena down only for her to run and hide from you...why is it that you persist in this rather juvenile game, Acheron? After the first one or two centuries even you should realize the priestess wants nothing to do with you anymore. So why persist as you have rather than devoting yourself to gaining the prize like other immortals have?"

Acheron sat back down, "My reasons are my own. Selena will be made to understand and comply, and the prize will be mine in the end regardless so there's no need to hurry the inevitable outcome of the gathering."

"But you are hurrying. Something has made you impatient, when patience seems to have been your calling card for millennia." Xia replied.

He shook his head and growled, "I have nothing or no one to fear...but it is time for these childish games to be over, both with Selena and the other Immortals. The world needs to step into a new era, an era under my dominion."

"Interesting," She turned to Valeria, "You are a member of these 'watchers', Valeria...can you speculate on why an Immortal would change his M.O. after so long?"
 
Valeria sat back taking a long sip from her tea. Thinking for a moment over everything she knew about him and others like him. Poker faced for several moments before a smile played across her lips.

The horsemen are wiped out for the most part. Dominique and her son had fallen off anyone's radars in recent years... till noe.
So it would appear that he is merely opportunistic hurrying up before someone bigger and badder shows up. Enjoying not feeling as impotent in his rage. I mean after all one of the most peaceful immortals next to you sifu keeps rejecting and running from him right into the arms of noble honor like Alain. So he is clearly or so it would seem running scared that he will lose her and the prize so rush the game that he will never have the final victory of without killing her which he will never do. As for why he won't kill her... He is terrified of that honor caring and compassion the desert priestess is. Scared and angry... Such a dangerous emotional I'm balance to go hand in hand with his mental imbalance and a hyoka in his head.

She smiled sipping her tea.

But that is just a theory.

________

Once back at the train she led Alain with her to the car with the snakes in it. A couple of snakes that are just a few small feet long and then Venice her behemoth of a snake that she dances in front of in a theatrical piece of her act.

This is Venice.

Sonam went around checking on the others around the family seeing if she could get answers about what The kid's dad said about her being their new Frank.
 
Last edited:
IC: Alain De'Montreau

He nodded telling her, "Alright...let's go."

They made their way down the road from the airfield and the logging road and all the way back to the train yard just as their train was about set to leave on its way back up north. They were on their way, together.

They climbed up onto the circus train and Selena led him over to the two pythons in a pair of glass tanks along the wall of the car.

"This is Venice," She told him pointing to the larger of the two.

"Venice," He repeated slowly peering at the snake closely emotion rising in his voice. "You named him Venice?"

She remembered their home fondly-enough to name one of her beloved pets after it. He looked to her then away to wipe eyes watery from the surge of emotion the name caused.

When his emotions got back under rein he stood back up and regarded her. "I am sure he is a good part of your life."

--------------------X

IC: Acheron and Xia-Na Liu

He shook his head and growled, "I have nothing or no one to fear...but it is time for these childish games to be over, both with Selena and the other Immortals. The world needs to step into a new era, an era under my dominion."

"Interesting," She turned to Valeria, "You are a member of these 'watchers', Valeria...can you speculate on why an Immortal would change his M.O. after so long?"

"The horsemen are wiped out for the most part. Dominique and her son had fallen off anyone's radars in recent years... till now," She explained after some time to consider her answer, "So it would appear that he is merely opportunistic hurrying up before someone bigger and badder shows up. Enjoying not feeling as impotent in his rage. I mean after all one of the most peaceful immortals next to you sifu keeps rejecting and running from him right into the arms of noble honor like Alain."

Acheron scowled at the mention of Alain and Selena but Valeria went on.

"So he is clearly or so it would seem running scared that he will lose her and the prize so rush the game that he will never have the final victory of without killing her which he will never do. As for why he won't kill her... He is terrified of that honor caring and compassion the desert priestess is. Scared and angry... Such a dangerous emotional I'm balance to go hand in hand with his mental imbalance and a hyoka in his head."

Acheron's scowl deepened as Xia's head nodded to her pupil's words. He shook his head, "An intriguing fantasy. The poor girl should write for the tabloids with as much supposition."

"Then what is the truth, Acheron," Xia asked, "In your own words."

"In my own words..." He said with a wry note, "...what can ants understand of the motives of gods?"
 
Sonam walked back in with a small stack of papers in her hand and a stunned to say the least look on her face.

The damn fool left it all to me... And the faded IH on everything literally means Immortal Haven and apparently I am the 19th watcher to own this traveling show. It was given to Frank when his predecessor's immortal was killed and you joined shortly after. Making Frank the next owner.

She moved over to the snakes and plopped down trying to take it all in.

Valeria payed Acheron no notice.

Sifu what do you think?

She shrugged.

Or what can be done about it. I know maybe Gitana would like to weigh in?

A cold laugh deep in the recesses of his mind from Gitana seem to answer the watcher.

I do also find it entertaining that even with Dominique and Donnovan in town he still draws breath and so do they. I would guess he ran from them or they are back to killing for money and there is no money in his death... Yet.
 
IC: Alain De'Montreau

They rode the circus train north from the area around Chattanooga up along the smokeys. To pass the time he took two sticks a good meter or so long and handed one to Selena.

"Do you remember the last time we sparred," Alain asked her then with a glance towards Sonam added, "Though with the kiddo watching we won't be able to end it the way we did that night under the full moon on our anniversary."

Alain swung his stick for her head. He wanted to see the fire in the woman he loved. He remembered that night long long ago, looking into Selena's back then, as they crossed swords before making love all night long. He remembered a fire, a passion for life in his wife's eyes that he longed to see once again.

------------------------------X

IC: Xia-Na Liu and Acheron

"Then what is the truth, Acheron," Xia asked, "In your own words."

"In my own words..." He said with a wry note, "...what can ants understand of the motives of gods?"

"Sifu what do you think?" She shrugged ignoring Acheron. "Or what can be done about it. I know maybe Gitana would like to weigh in?"

Xia sipped more of her tea contemplatively, "Not much can be done, Valeria. Gitana preys upon the disharmony within Acheron. The only way to cure is for him to achieve balance in his Chi, but he seems singularly unwilling to do that."

Acheron glowered sourly at them both, "There is no disharmony. I am in balance. I have no problems at all."

"I do also find it entertaining that even with Dominique and Donnovan in town he still draws breath and so do they," Valeria put in continuing to ignore Acheron which only made his glower deepen on his face, "I would guess he ran from them or they are back to killing for money and there is no money in his death... Yet."

"I would suggest they are waiting for Alain to resolve this conflict." Xia said, "If he fails the matter will fall to them, as they see it."

"There's another possibility you fail to consider," Acheron said angrily, "Perhaps they fear me to much to act."
 
Sonam watched them and there it was... Big surprise... Recoil. She knew what Selena would do. Deep down she understood why this time around had her so panicked. Everyone was together. Alain, the two of them, the train family, and now with Frank and Gitana dead she had all the reason she needed to be terrified of Acheron and that is truly what Selena was right now... Possibly all she was right now. Sonam simply shook her head and walked out of the car to another part of the train. She had to talk with their bladesmaster. She had to be ready to fight.

She paused at Frank's office car and looked around. It was hers now or that's what they said. She sat down on the swivel chair and stared at Vietnam and the carnivals early days and various memorabilia of past shows.

What the hell am I supposed to do you old sonofabitch. I can't accept the rules we are sworn to follow and you know it. Especially right now...

Sighing she began sorting the ocean of weighted down paperwork on the desk uncovering a calendar with the date circled. Today's date circled TN walkabout Selena's museum.

She went back to their car banging on the door.

Alain... A word with you... NOW!

She held out the calendar to him.

We are making a stop. One of the random stretch our legs sort of stop Frank would have us do from time to time. Only it's not really random I don't think maybe none of them were but... Frank has this one on the schedule but not a performance stop... It just says "TN Walkabout Selena's museum". What the hell?

________
Selena recoiled watching him as she was still terrified of losing everyone deep down and finally being trapped forever with Acheron.

It... It has been far too long...I... I can not.

She bit her lip watching him

I do remember that night but I am no longer capable of fighting so let us just relax and plan how he must end.

__________

Valeria almost busted out in laughter but maintained her composure and simply shrugged. Donnovan feared nothing but Dominique knew to hold Gitana is terrifying reguard and awe.

They fear nothing nor anyone save perhaps Gitana... As for Gitana

She directed her attention to sifu.

We have documentation of her even being the balanced healer when she was batshit evil and batshit evil while one of the most sought after healers in the American west. She could maintain her own balance in there while using his fears and inadequacies against him.

Valeria shrugged

With her age she truly was a unique one. Onle of the oldest living female immortals till now. That leaves I do believe Selena, Kalia, Ano, and Ji'en and you? Sifu as oldest living female immortals? Or is Fi'en still alive? Still can't believe her first death happened at what had to be well over 100 yrs old. But back to situation at hand. What to do about him?
 
Last edited:
IC: Alain De'Montreau

Alain swung his stick for her head. He wanted to see the fire in the woman he loved. He remembered that night long long ago, looking into Selena's back then, as they crossed swords before making love all night long. He remembered a fire, a passion for life in his wife's eyes that he longed to see once again.

The stick in her hands clattered onto the floor and she skittered backwards avoiding his swing and kept going back until she was nearly up against the wall of the traincar. "It... It has been far too long...I... I can not."

Alain straightened reposting his stick in a ready stance before as he would his own Dao. "I suppose you are rusty," He said softly, sadly, "I suppose its been so long since you held a sword you have forgotten what it is to hold your life in your hand...You have forgotten the woman you are...he has murdered her and this is her corpse before me."

"I do remember that night, but I am no longer capable of fighting. So let us just relax and plan how he must end." She said biting her lip at his words and shifting her eyes away from his.

Alain shuddered. God in heaven have mercy on them, she was so scared...the fire he remembered in her eyes had died out completely in them so Alain saw not even an ember of her will, her zest for life, burning left in her. Acheron had done it. He had defeated her utterly.

"No," He said lunging the point of his stick for her heart, he doubted it still beat blood through her veins, "You will not end, Selena. Not as long as you draw breath. You will fight him. You will stand against him and face him down, and you will win."

-------------------X

IC: Xia-Na Liu and Acheron

"I would suggest they are waiting for Alain to resolve this conflict." Xia said, "If he fails the matter will fall to them, as they see it."

"There's another possibility you fail to consider," Acheron said angrily, "Perhaps they fear me too much to act."

Xia noted the disdainful way Valeria shrugged as the man across from her said the words. In the future she'd endeavor to teach her bright young pupil not to discount a viable hypothesis even if it came from someone she has nothing but contempt for, alas life had so many lessons for a student to learn and no one mortal or immortal lived long enough to learn them all. In all her millenia she herself certainly hadn't, but what other reason was there to go on living was there. To live was to learn something new. Only the dead had nothing left to learn. That was Xia's soul overriding mantra each day.

"They fear nothing nor anyone save perhaps Gitana... As for Gitana," She turned her eyes towards Xia, "We have documentation of her even being the balanced healer when she was batshit evil and batshit evil while one of the most sought after healers in the American west. She could maintain her own balance in there while using his fears and inadequacies against him."

"I would greatly have liked to have met her," Xia mused idlily, "I imagine the conversations with her over tea, like the three of us happen to be enjoying right now, would have been very enlightening."

Acheron merely rolled his eyes sourly at the both of them.

Valeria pressed on adding, "With her age she truly was a unique one. One of the oldest living female immortals till now."

"After a few centuries age becomes less and less important," She reminded her pupil.

"That leaves I do believe Selena, Kalia, Ano, and Ji'en and you? Sifu as oldest living female immortals? Or is Fi'en still alive?" She asked.

"She lives. I met her in Hong Kong some time ago through a mutual acquaintance. We correspond over encrypted letters often," She nodded towards Acheron, "We share a common love with riddles, and puzzles, and mysteries."

"I have no tolerance for puzzles," Acheron glowered, "I only care for answers."

Xia nodded to him, "I pity you then. Those that only look for answers soon runs out of questions to ask."

"Still can't believe her first death happened at what had to be well over 100 yrs old," Valeria said of Fi'en, "But back to situation at hand. What to do about him?"

Xia nodded at that and regarded Acheron speculatively, "Well...what shall we do with you."

Acheron smirked with amusement, "She should surrender as my prisoner..." He leveled a finger at Xia, "...And you should consign yourself to death by my sword."

Xia nodded consideringly before turning to Valeria, "And what would you suggest, my pupil?"
 
Well who is to say I am not one of those watchers who kill those who are not worthy or too corrupt for the prize or at least sent word to one of them.

She smirked slightly.

However perhaps the pleasure of killing him should fall to Selena or Alain. It would be way too easy for you to take his head I would believe. However it would be most interesting to see what would happen to him with you and Gitana destroying him from the inside out..

Valeria already knew what to do to make sure she died if this vermin ever found her or her ward.

_____________

I know... I will keep living... After all of them...

She was nearly in tears staring at him.

Sonam... Gitana... Frank... And countless others. I am tired Alain and now I have to deal with the risk of losing all of you... Including you.

She sank to the floor sobbing. Broken... Maybe... Still feeling more than ever... Yes. She could not lose them all but her features made her feel like she already had because she couldn't fight back. Even when she lost to that demon he would not kill her. She was tired and wanted to die or him to leave her alone to be happy or to be dead and out of her life but not at the risk of those few she had left.

How do we end him... You can't beat him you have learned that before and now he has Gitana in there and who knows who else. How do we do this?
 
IC: Alain De'Montreau

"No," He said lunging the point of his stick for her heart, he doubted it still beat blood through her veins, "You will not end, Selena. Not as long as you draw breath. You will fight him. You will stand against him and face him down, and you will win."

"How do we end him..." She said sobbing, "You can't beat him you have learned that before and now he has Gitana in there and who knows who else. How do we do this?"

"How?" Alain said shaking his head in disbelief at her question. He bent down to look into her eyes saying sincerely, "How we've always won, Selena...by fighting like hell for it."

He raised back up and threw the stick in his hand to the ground before her. "One on one, sword against sword, in a duel to the death like we've done for centuries against other immortals...he's unbeatable, but that's only if we commit to dueling him the old way, Selena."

He turned from her adding, "No matter how strong he has become, no matter how fast or how skilled with a sword he has become he's just a man, and history is replete with examples of strong men falling by lesser opponents."

He walked over to his guitar case saying, "He'll expect us to try and duel him again, so I propose that we don't duel him anymore. This isn't about winning the contest, or gaining his quickening, or attaining the prize of being the last Immortal standing at the end of the gathering."

He opened the guitar case revealing his sword inside, "This is about protecting ourselves from him, and protecting the world from him from ever being the one of us to win the prize, Selena."

"The problem we have is that you've already given up to him," He said taking the sword and walking back over to her, "More to the point I think you want it to be over. There's part of you that longs for it all to end."

He raised his sword into ready position. "Well, I can grant your deathwish for you, Selena."

He swung the sword whistling through the air to stop a hairsbreadth from her neck. "But I won't unless you let me. Somewhere inside you, you have one inch of life left in you. The one inch he has taken from you."

The edge of his sword pressed against her skin, "The only thing stopping you from losing your head is one question...if you've given up why make a family here, Selena? Why Frank? Why Sonam? They'll only be people in Acheron's crosshairs now for that connection to you. So why did you form ties to them? Answer me this: What do you have to keep you alive? What do you have to fight for?"

-------------------------------X

IC: Xia Na-Liu and Acheron

Acheron smirked with amusement, "She should surrender as my prisoner..." He leveled a finger at Xia, "...And you should consign yourself to death by my sword."

Xia nodded consideringly before turning to Valeria, "And what would you suggest, my pupil?"

She smirked, "Well who is to say I am not one of those watchers who kill those who are not worthy or too corrupt for the prize or at least sent word to one of them."

Acheron chuckled darkly at that, "Try it, little girl. Just try it."

"However perhaps the pleasure of killing him should fall to Selena or Alain," She continued speculating like a true intellectually curious student, "It would be way too easy for you to take his head I would believe. However it would be most interesting to see what would happen to him with you and Gitana destroying him from the inside out..."

Acheron laughed, "Such a farce. Keep dreaming little girl."

Xia put her tea cup down, "That was wonderful, Valeria. You really are becoming such a promising student."

She looked to Acheron, "As I have said. I greatly enjoy good tea and conversation, but there is one more thing I would ask you, my friend. Why did you come here? I do not know where Alain is or Selena. Also taking my head will only further imbalance your Chi and multiply your problems. So why are you here?"

Acheron glowered at her, "Taking your head will hurt the man that lays claim on my wife...De'Montreau will suffer for his offense."
 
Guess we will see

Valeria smirked.

I do believe you would be wise to walk away now. If you try to face Alain or Selena with Gitana and Situ in there... You will lose. You have to know that right?

She laughed a little. Already knowing she would be dead within seconds after Sifu if he was stupid enough to kill her.

------------
Selena stared at him.

If you think you can do what he never will. I helped them as I have always helped others to make up for his evil but it never ends does it.

She moved hand pushing the blade away calling his bluff. She knew he wouldn't do it.

Now let's quit this game and figure it out.
 
IC: Alain De'Montreau

The edge of his sword pressed against her skin, "The only thing stopping you from losing your head is one question...if you've given up why make a family here, Selena? Why Frank? Why Sonam? They'll only be people in Acheron's crosshairs now for that connection to you. So why did you form ties to them? Answer me this: What do you have to keep you alive? What do you have to fight for?"

Selena's wide, red, tear-filled eyes never wavered from his. "If you think you can do what he never will."

Alain looked away from those soulful eyes boring into his heart. He didn't want to do this. He couldn't harm a single hair on the top of woman he loved's head. He would never hurt her-not really. He was bluffing. He knew it. She knew it. The entire world knew it. "That's not an answer to my questions. Why collect so many lost souls to forge a new family only for him to shatter before you again and again and again?"

"I helped them as I have always helped others to make up for his evil but it never ends does it." She replied hand raising and deftly pushing his sword hand away from her neck, calling his bluff, "Now let's quit this game and figure it out."

"There's not much to figure out," He told her, "One on one he's unbeatable. You and me together-on ground we choose...we may stand a chance of overwhelming him, but not with the attitude you have now. The woman you are now will wilt the first second he draws his sword."

"You need to find your fire in your heart for your life and those you love again, Selena," He explained, "Without it I doubt we'd survive the confrontation against him."

----------------X

IC: Acheron and Xia Na-Liu

Acheron glowered at her, "Taking your head will hurt the man that lays claim on my wife...De'Montreau will suffer for his offense."

"Guess we will see," Valeria smirked at the murderer, "I do believe you would be wise to walk away now. If you try to face Alain or Selena with Gitana and Situ in there... You will lose. You have to know that right?"

"I know nothing," Acheron growled to her.

"That is apparent," Xia commented rising from her chair and setting down her tea cup.

"Where do you think you are going," Acheron blurted out as she turned to head out the door shot up from his seat.

"It is late and I am old...time for bed," She answered, "Come again in the morning and kill me." She looked to her...'watcher', "Valeria, come along now if you would?"

His hand darted to draw his rapier, "I will not be patronized by y-"

In the next blink of an eye she had crossed the room before the blade had cleared its scabbard. Two fingered jabs struck swift with pinpoint precision and bruising force at the critical nerves in the soft part of his shoulder, his side, the neck below the ear. His rapier clattered onto the ground from suddenly lifeless fingers.

Acheron clamored backwards tumbling over the chair he'd sat in. Damned woman had fooled him. He had forgotten her reputation as not a duelist but as an unparalleled martial artist.

"Feeling should return to your arm in a few hours," She replied with patronizing casualness to her tone. She picked up his fallen rapier and held it out for Valeria to take, "Hide this. We shall give it back to him when he comes back for our duel tomorrow."

"Your cowardice is apparent," He sneered getting back onto his knees, "Why don't you just take your sword and put an end to it all? You'd save Selena and your precious pupil, De'Montreau, from the evil madman hunting them?"

"Because for a simple reason, Acheron," She said turning her back on him, "Do you know how many heads my sword has taken in all my centuries of life?"

"I am certain it is a very impressive number."

"None," She answered for him, "I have never taken another Immortal's head because we can all learn a better way, even you, Acheron. I will teach you."

With that she walked out of the room, "Until the morning, Acheron, I look forward to your next lesson."

He got up to his scowling after her his sword arm hung uselessly at his side. Despite all that he laughed saying, "Coward."
 
Selena just looked to him. She so much conflict in mind and soul as she slowly stood up.

Sonam is an adult clearly in the eyes of Frank leaving her the the family here. A few others know within reason what is going on with an "ex" of mine and well I have last everyone else. What is left. The family may be in Sonam's employ now but they will listen to me and protect her and get her far from me whenever I ask Watcher or not.

You have made so many things so clear that there is no going back to what we once were in Venice even though...

As she gestures around her home on the rails.

My heart and soul never left it.

Sonam walked back in and grabbing Alain

We NEED to talk...Now! Mom leave this train car and I will duct tape you your snake Venice. Got it?

________________

Taking the sword Valeria stifled a chuckle and turned to go resisting the urge to snap the thing in half in front of his eyes. She had always been curious if the weapon held some of the welders being as each quickening had to displace a little of their own soul.

Gladly. Shall I have the Stefanos twins escort him out?

Smiling she walked away holding no fear of the pompous blowhard and his impotent rage.

I will tend to this and lock up. Good night Sifu

And with a smirk...

Good Night Gitana... have fun old friend!
 
IC: Alain De'Montreau

"You need to find your fire in your heart for your life and those you love again, Selena," He explained, "Without it I doubt we'd survive the confrontation against him."

"Sonam is an adult clearly in the eyes of Frank leaving her the the family here," She said rising back up to her feet. and in her eyes Alain could see a world of conflict, "A few others know within reason what is going on with an "ex" of mine and well I have last everyone else. What is left. The family may be in Sonam's employ now but they will listen to me and protect her and get her far from me whenever I ask Watcher or not."

"Selena," He said achingly, "You can't deflect from the problem. You have to deal with this...with him."

"You have made so many things so clear that there is no going back to what we once were in Venice even though..." She said waving a hand at all the things that she'd somehow collected from the old home in Venice so long ago, "My heart and soul never left it."

"I thought there was no going back too. I thought there was too much time between us now, and the hurt of how you left me would be insurmountable for to get back to the way I felt about you before." He said looking down at the sword in his hand, "But then I look at you and its suddenly the day of our wedding again and I have to remind myself not to be as in love with you as I was when I said, 'I do'."

He looked back up into her eyes. "It is a battle I can no longer fight. Some things just are true no matter how hard you try to fight them. And the truth is I've never stopped loving you as much as I did that first day. I think no matter what happens I will always love you, Selena."

Just then Sonam rolled inside and grabbed him by the arm. "We NEED to talk...Now! Mom leave this train car and I will duct tape you your snake Venice. Got it?"

He was then hauled out of the car and Alain Stopped her asking, "What is it?"
 
I think Frank was up to something. We never take the track through Knoxville especially end of the season. But he had a Leg stretcher day on campus of all places. There is a museum there and look what happens to open that day... 48 hours from now.

She held out a flier about how the campus was honored to be one of the only universities in America to be allowed to host a most auspicious find from the deserts of Egypt. The treasures of a long lost temple in the desert that rivaled Karnak itself in chambers for each of the Gods and a window into the tragic raid that destroyed it.

Mom's temple... tell me that crazy SOB didn't have this planned and have a hand in it.

She smirked.

This may be the kick in the ass mom needs.
 
Last edited:
IC: Alain De'Montreau

He was then hauled out of the car and Alain Stopped her asking, "What is it?"

"I think Frank was up to something," She answered.

Alain's brow creased at that. From what he was learning about this Frank he wasn't the type to just do anything that was a coincidence. "How so?"

"We never take the track through Knoxville especially end of the season." She explained, "But he had a Leg stretcher day on campus of all places."

The crease of his brow deepened and he shook his head in confusion, "Okay, so why did he have it come here?"

"There is a museum there and look what happens to open that day..." she said pulling out a folded up flyer from her pocket and holding it out for him to take.

He took it and began unfolding the flyer to read it. It was about an archeological exhibit the University of Tennessee in Knoxville was proudly hosting from a unknown culture dating all the way back from bronze age Egypt that apparently revered an immortal priestess.

"It can't be..." He said recognizing a few things in the exhibit from the tales his wife had told him of her long lost homeland. "And this exhibit is in..."

"...48 hours from now." Sonam nodded, "Mom's temple... tell me that crazy SOB didn't have this planned and have a hand in it."

"I wish I had known this Frank better." He lowered the flyer and turned looking back towards Selena's railcar. How would she react when she saw this? Would it knock his beloved wife out of the pitiful victim state she was so embedded into?

If anything could...this might be it, or conversely it might pusher deeper into the dark hole she was trapped in.

"This may be the kick in the ass mom needs." Sonam smirked with a confidence that Alain wished he could mirror. She didn't see the look of fatalism in her mother's eyes when he tried to confront her. Right now he questioned if anything could ignite the fire in her soul he remembered falling in love with.

To Sonam, Alain nodded, "Okay, you might be right...how do you think we should tell Selena about this?"
 
Well we are going to refuel and restock tomorrow and then the day after that we will be heading out so we have tonight here and getting everything dealt with tomorrow once that is all done I will pass along the info of a leg stretcher that Frank had outlined tell them I don't know what it is just where it it is and go from there. Half of them will think he had money riding on a ballgame or something. So you have to make sure she doesn't find out till we get there. They already have a standing Egypt exhibit there a replica of Karnak and we have gone a couple of times before during the tour not at the end that she has looked at so this will be the real bomb to drop when we get there. If you think she should know before we walk up to the museum then you tell her if not we open that front door and surprise surprise mom.

Sonam was already plotting it out falling into Franks family leader roll well. He had trained and groomed her well for her when dealing with her mother and some of the others. Now it was her time to prove she could do it.

Interesting thing is the website said to be announced for the traveling exhibit even though it opens in 2 days? Frank or one of his people had to have a hand in this. Right? That vermin Acheron wouldn't have thought of anything like this he wouldn't want to risk it changing mom and relighting that fire.

Sonam was deep in thought as Selena walked to the door.

Is everything alright?

Sonam drawn from her thoughts looked over real quick

Everything is great if this one will accept the job I just offered him traveling with us as your aid since I have to take over Franks job. So Alain is that a yes or a no?

She stared at him like you better say yes and take the job.
 
IC: Alain De'Montreau

To Sonam, Alain nodded, "Okay, you might be right...how do you think we should tell Selena about this?"

"Well, we are going to refuel and restock tomorrow, and then the day after that we will be heading out. So we have tonight here and getting everything dealt with tomorrow." Sonam replied, "Once that is all done I will pass along the info of a leg stretcher that Frank had outlined, tell them I don't know what it is just where it is, and go from there. Half of them will think he had money riding on a ballgame or something."

He nodded at that considering her words.

"They already have a standing Egypt exhibit there a replica of Karnak and we have gone a couple of times before during the tour not at the end that she has looked at so this will be the real bomb to drop when we get there." She went on, "If you think she should know before we walk up to the museum then you tell her if not we open that front door and surprise mom."

"I can do that," He nodded with an appreciative smile to her, "You're pretty good at this, kiddo. I can see why Frank saw you as his successor."

But Sonam was already thinking way ahead of him on the matter to respond to his words, "Interesting thing is the website said to be announced for the traveling exhibit even though it opens in 2 days? Frank or one of his people had to have a hand in this. Right?"

A sudden terrible thought came to him from her question, "Could Acheron have set this up as bait for some sort of trap for her?"

"That vermin Acheron wouldn't have thought of anything like this," Sonam said dismissively, "He wouldn't want to risk it changing mom and relighting that fire."

Then Selena came up to the door asking, "Is everything alright?"

"Everything is great if this one will accept the job I just offered him traveling with us as your aid since I have to take over Franks job." Sonam improvised, "So Alain is that a yes or a no?"

Quickly adjusting he shook his head to Sonam, "I have my own business and a garage full of hard-working grease monkeys that depend on me attending to that business full-time to provide them a paycheck on paydays. So in good conscience to them I couldn't possibly say yes."

She stared at him like he was a big fool for saying no.

"I've ran away and joined the circus before," He told her, "Got pretty good at juggling even tried being a high-wire acrobat. As much fun being a carney can be I have obligations back there in the city I can't postpone indefinitely to live those days again."
 
Selena didn't look surprised at all and raised a brow that Sonam thought he would leave for them.

You have your answer now what is the plan about end of season travels Sonam?

Her tone almost emotionless as she watched them for a long moment.

I am very happy you still have such strong work ethic and care for others Alain. Luckily Sonam will I hope do better at taking no for an answer than Frank would. I guess you will be returning to town now? He should be gone by now I would think.

Sonam glared at him but fell silent at her mother stating that she had better take no for an answer.

Fine... No it is.

Sonam nodded and sighed. Guess we will see you around Alain... we are going to be headed further away from your town so guess you will need to be getting back since Mac isn't there. Speaking of which I have work to do. With that she took off and went to figure out who she had to get to to report in about how to handle watcherless immortal currently in her company
 
Last edited:
IC: Alain De'Montreau

"I've ran away and joined the circus before," He told her, "Got pretty good at juggling even tried being a high-wire acrobat. As much fun being a carney can be I have obligations back there in the city I can't postpone indefinitely to live those days again."

Selena seemed unsurprised by his answer and raised an eyebrow to her daughter saying, "You have your answer now what is the plan about end of season travels Sonam?"

"Hold on," Alain put in, "I didn't say I don't want to ever see you guys again."

"I am very happy you still have such strong work ethic and care for others Alain." Selena stated. "Luckily Sonam will I hope do better at taking no for an answer than Frank would."

He looked at Sonam who was glowering at him, "Somehow I doubt that."

"I guess you will be returning to town now?" She asked. "He should be gone by now I would think."

He shook his head, "You're not getting rid of me that easy. I'm in this until his headless body falls to the floor at our feet, and all of his victims are avenged."

"Fine... No it is." Sonam groused at them.

Alain sighed knowing no it wasn't fine at all to her.

Sonam nodded and sighed. "Guess we will see you around Alain... we are going to be headed further away from your town so guess you will need to be getting back since Mac isn't there."

"Sonam wait," He said to her, "I'm not-"

She turned and headed out of the railcar, "Speaking of which I have work to do."

He sighed heavily watching her go then to Selena, "I guess I really stepped in it with her over that, huh?"

"You've raised an amazing young woman, Selena," He continued, "But she doesn't trust people easily."

He walked over to her and took her hands saying, "You know, once we kill him, you two could leave the circus and stay with me. My apartment would be too small for three of us, but we could get a house somewhere in the city or the suburbs. Sonam could go to school with other children her age, and you and me can try and see what life has in store for us together again."
 
She will get over it in time.

She shrugged and sighed looking out the door she ran out of and then back to him.

People in our line of work are seldom trusted in towns and hassled if any crimes happen when we are in town. You also have to remember where she grew up and what was going on.

She stared at him holding her hand.

Do you honestly see her being willing to go to a normal school or be accepted with her temper? Not to mention that just like you can't abandon them we can't abandon our family here. She takes her job Frank gave her seriously even the watcher part and the taking over the train.

I also wish I could share your assurance that he will be defeated and by us but... I have known him for longer than you have drawn breath Alain. I can hope that you are right
 
IC: Alain De'Montreau

"You've raised an amazing young woman, Selena," He continued, "But she doesn't trust people easily."

"She will get over it in time," She retorted with a small sigh and a shrug of her shoulders, "People in our line of work are seldom trusted in towns and hassled if any crimes happen when we are in town. You also have to remember where she grew up and what was going on."

He walked over to her and took her hands saying, "You know, once we kill him, you two could leave the circus and stay with me. My apartment would be too small for three of us, but we could get a house somewhere in the city or the suburbs. Sonam could go to school with other children her age, and you and me can try and see what life has in store for us together again."

She looked into his eyes for a long eternity of a heartbeat before saying, "Do you honestly see her being willing to go to a normal school or be accepted with her temper? Not to mention that just like you can't abandon them we can't abandon our family here. She takes her job Frank gave her seriously even the watcher part and the taking over the train."

"And does that answer apply to you as well, Selena," He asked.

"I also wish I could share your assurance that he will be defeated and by us but..." She said softly shaking her head, "I have known him for longer than you have drawn breath Alain. I can hope that you are right."

Without thought his hand lifted and stroked her chin as he used to. Noticing it he asked, "So do we have any idea what this will mean for the future...between us...do you...do we...want to try again? Should we try to revive those years in Venice again or is what we had buried too far in our pasts? Do you...do you still feel about me the way you did then?"
 
I never stopped feeling that way. You are the one who has been so determined it was all part Alain.

She turned her head slightly toward his hand at her cheek.

To have anything together though so have to abandon my family here don't I?

She looked out the window with a sigh. How could she combine her family and her heart?

-------------------

Sonam went about preparing everyone for the detour and how she would be following Frank's schedule for as long as he had stuff planned out for them.
 
IC: Alain De'Montreau

Without thought his hand lifted and stroked her chin as he used to. Noticing it he asked, "So do we have any idea what this will mean for the future...between us...do you...do we...want to try again? Should we try to revive those years in Venice again or is what we had buried too far in our pasts? Do you...do you still feel about me the way you did then?"

"I never stopped feeling that way." she said turning her face to rub her cheek into his caressing hand, "You are the one who has been so determined it was all part of the past, Alain."

"It doesn't have to be anymore," He said longingly, "We can try to make it work again, can't we?"

"To have anything together though," She told him, "I'd have to abandon my family here don't I?"

"I suppose you would," He said his hand lowering from the tender stroking of her cheek.

Sadly he turned away from her before stopping to ask without looking back, "So if we do kill him...I guess it would mean you and I would part our separate ways and never see each other again, right?"
 
Back
Top