NYPD looks to GPS bottles to combat pill bandits

Waste of money. It'll take ten seconds for the junkies to figure out to dump the bottle at first opportunity which will be half a block from the drug store they just robbed.

They'd have to open every bottle in the bag, first, to find out which is the bugged one. You really think the average junkie is that smart or that meticulous?

They'd have to open every bottle in the bag, first, to find out which is the bugged one. You really think the average junkie is that smart or that meticulous?

These are people who rob drug stores for a living. I'm pretty sure they can figure out to dump all the bottles asap.

These are people who rob drug stores for a living. I'm pretty sure they can figure out to dump all the bottles asap.
I am not sure about this really. Neither my knowledge of marketable drugs or what can and cannot be done with GPS are rather weak.

It seems to me that if you can conseal a GPS device inside a capsule, or whatever this might be workable.

OP said:
The NYPD has begun creating a database of the roughly 6,000 pharmacies in the New York City area with plans to have officers visit them and recommend security measures like better alarm systems and lighting of storage areas. Kelly says it also will ask them to stock the GPS bottles containing fake oxycodone.

Why would they go through all that trouble if they did not believe they had a viable system?

I am not sure about this really. Neither my knowledge of marketable drugs or what can and cannot be done with GPS are rather weak.

It seems to me that if you can conseal a GPS device inside a capsule, or whatever this might be workable.

Why would they go through all that trouble if they did not believe they had a viable system?

They said bottles not capsules. Hide it in a capsule then you might have something. Of course you'd also have the risk of people taking a gps transmitter instead of their meds.

They said bottles not capsules. Hide it in a capsule then you might have something. Of course you'd also have the risk of people taking a gps transmitter instead of their meds.
:D
Then forever being pulled over by the police.:eek:

The article does not provide details as I am sure NYPD would certainly prefer.

There is some potential here though, I think, even if it leads to making some medications "GPS friendly" in manufacture.

Last edited:
If you really want to stop drug thieves and users dead in their tracks, just slip in a couple of cyanide pills in the bottle.

Back