Horribly written?

robertreams

Literotica Guru
Okay here goes. There is a story of mine, posted here in 2009
http://www.literotica.com/s/best-friends-47

After all these years I received today an anonymouse comment: "I should be ashamed to say I am a retired English teacher. If this "Terribly written" story was any example, it is "no wonder our kids today can't read and write."

I went back and looked and yeah, maybe too many commas and some bad punctuation around quotes. (I had no idea in 2009 how serious a thing writing for Literotica was. Now I try to use an editor every time, but some things can still slip by.

Here's my question. Yep, some errors. But horrible writing? Oh well, I'll toss it out there and ask what you all think.

I haven't read it, but how did they know you had been an English teacher? Sounds like someone from the forum just razzing you.

I read enough of the story to see that while it could use a bit of proofreading, it wasn't horribly written. It might not get an A+ grade, but for a one page stroke story, it's good enough.

Edit to add:

I just checked out one of your more recent stories, "The Urinal", and I must say your prose has improved considerably over the years.

Last edited:
Okay here goes. There is a story of mine, posted here in 2009
http://www.literotica.com/s/best-friends-47

After all these years I received today an anonymouse comment: "I should be ashamed to say I am a retired English teacher. If this "Terribly written" story was any example, it is "no wonder our kids today can't read and write."

I went back and looked and yeah, maybe too many commas and some bad punctuation around quotes. (I had no idea in 2009 how serious a thing writing for Literotica was. Now I try to use an editor every time, but some things can still slip by.

Here's my question. Yep, some errors. But horrible writing? Oh well, I'll toss it out there and ask what you all think.

Just ignore it or delete it, It's just the way some people get off. They can't create so they try to destroy. After all it takes no skill to tell you it was horribly written without telling you what was wrong. I once got one that said my story was the work of an illiterate. However, in the same post it became clear that he/she didn't know the meaning of the word.

I'm laughing my ass off right now. DaYaKen's comment was spot-on accurate...and JBJ immediately provided an example!

Priceless!

Is this really bothering you? It's one nettlesome comment. They come and they go.

As for the story, it's really not terrible. Too many commas, a little wordy, and I personally loathe the present tense, but nothing we shouldn't expect from someone still unsure of themselves and presumably working without a professional editor. I've written worse, and so have most people. I'd say your biggest problem is that you're thinking this hard about it. Anyway, the story is from six years ago, of course it's not as good as what you've written since. Everyone is better now than they were six years ago, provided they've bothered to keep writing.

Pilot was right, whoever it is is back with more shit. Hard for me to ignore. Why do some folks have to act like such assholes? i don't get it.

Just delete the comments and move on and let the child be more frustrated at being erased than you are.

Pilot was right, whoever it is is back with more shit. Hard for me to ignore. Why do some folks have to act like such assholes? i don't get it.

They do it because that is what they CAN do. By getting wound up about it you are giving them exactly what they want. If you want to strike back just delete the comment. However, that is liable to generate more of the same until they get fed up with you deleting them.

Writing about it here isn't going to help. Trolls read the forums too so you may well be giving him more fuel. The real solution is just to act as if it means nothing to you. He or she gets no satisfaction from you they will move on to someone else.

Youre not worth the fucking candle to harass and annoy.

I'm laughing my ass off right now. DaYaKen's comment was spot-on accurate...and JBJ immediately provided an example!

Priceless!

Except DaYAKen said this:

They can't create so they try to destroy. After all it takes no skill to tell you it was horribly written without telling you what was wrong.

JBJ has plenty of stories to his credit so the charge that he can't create is false. Also, he called the story bland which is a valid opinion. Or are the only valid comments the ones of glowing praise while critical comments are purely the work of trolls? If so then perhaps this forum should be renamed (Positive) Story Feedback (Only).

If you want to strike back just delete the comment. However, that is liable to generate more of the same until they get fed up with you deleting them.

Yes, but that becomes their frustration, not that author's (which is payback right there). Just delete it every time. It doesn't take much effort on your part. Frustrates the hell out of the troll, though.

E
JBJ has plenty of stories to his credit so the charge that he can't create is false. Also, he called the story bland which is a valid opinion. Or are the only valid comments the ones of glowing praise while critical comments are purely the work of trolls? If so then perhaps this forum should be renamed (Positive) Story Feedback (Only).

This thread is about comments on the story itself, not about JBJ's post to this thread. Most of us have learned just to ignore those. JBJ just wants attention and he'll post anything to get it.

Spacefender, you are mistaken. Read my posts. I said nothing whatever about JBJ's comment. I spoke only about one commenter on my Lit. story page, who returned to dis it and remains anonymous. When I ask for comments, I accept them, especially if the person identifies himself. Not sure whether having written a LOT of stories qualifies one to be a critic, which seems to be your premiss.

At any rate, since YOU brought up the subject: I expect JBJ to pop up to dis my stories and/or my comments, so it's no big deal, especially since he is still trying to figure out what part of speech FUCK is.

They do it because that is what they CAN do. By getting wound up about it you are giving them exactly what they want. If you want to strike back just delete the comment. However, that is liable to generate more of the same until they get fed up with you deleting them.

Writing about it here isn't going to help. Trolls read the forums too so you may well be giving him more fuel. The real solution is just to act as if it means nothing to you. He or she gets no satisfaction from you they will move on to someone else.

I second every bit of this.

Threads like these-although I know Robert is just frustrated and venting-gives the troll a big hard on because they know they upset you. Robert now questioning his story is exactly what they want.

I agree on the comments as well, deleting one leaves the door open for juvenile BS like "oh, what's the matter, you only leave the good comments" or "Truth hurt" and one I have seen on other stories many times "You'll probably delete this like you do the others..."

If you just roll your eyes at it and leave it there...you have shown the troll you could care less, you are saying "I left your snarky remark for all to see because I could care less what you think"

Also shows others that you take the bad and ridiculous along with the good.

Anyway best answer is to ignore these things completely.

Of course if you are the type who leaves comments like this, you'd want them left there. Shows you control and guilt the author. And you certainly wouldn't want your slams just to be erased each time you've gone to all that trouble to compose and post them. :rolleyes:

Just ignore it or delete it, It's just the way some people get off. They can't create so they try to destroy. After all it takes no skill to tell you it was horribly written without telling you what was wrong. I once got one that said my story was the work of an illiterate. However, in the same post it became clear that he/she didn't know the meaning of the word.

I agree totally! Here is my two cents, I am a writer! Professional? No! But like you and so many others out there I am willing to expose a part of myself and post stories. You will never please everyone. So keep this in mind. Also They didn't have the courage to post that attack with their real handle! Anons are really cowards. Trolls looking like my friend here said, to destroy.

What I am trying to tell you is FUCK THE TROLL! they are not worth this much worry!!!

KC

Spacefender, you are mistaken. Read my posts. I said nothing whatever about JBJ's comment. I spoke only about one commenter on my Lit. story page, who returned to dis it and remains anonymous. When I ask for comments, I accept them, especially if the person identifies himself. Not sure whether having written a LOT of stories qualifies one to be a critic, which seems to be your premiss.

At any rate, since YOU brought up the subject: I expect JBJ to pop up to dis my stories and/or my comments, so it's no big deal, especially since he is still trying to figure out what part of speech FUCK is.

You flatter yourself. I don't read your wares or decorate them with comments or low scores.

A lot of writers whether they admit it or not are insecure with their writing.

Trolls have no idea of knowing that until they attack and see the reaction. Staring threads show the insecurity and that the troll got under their skin.

Deleting comments does the same. It says "I don't want anyone else to see this because they might think its true"

I'm from the school of not caring. MY writing is far from perfect or great, but I have no insecurities about it. Want to tell me I suck? Feel free to do so, plenty of others here enjoy it. Never going to please everyone

End of the day? Who the hell knows if the troll even read the story? Many times they don't. This type of thread gives too much credit to the losers.

Back