Wearing Ear Buds While Bicycling or Running is Stupid and Dangerous

Bears

Especially while trail riding this time of year, Tou cannot hear the bears out in the forest for sure foraging and looking for Fooooood.

Many years ago, a car was towed in with dents in the hood, roof, and trunk lid. There was also a hole punched through the windshield on the passenger side.
And blood, lots of blood.

A man had been running while listening to his tunes and stepped off the curb without looking. His arm went through the windshield and was sheared off by the roof. The arm landed in the back seat and he landed in the street behind the car.

That's grisly.

It's a story that ought to be widely disseminated to the earbud-wearing crowd.

I'd never do it if I'm alone or with Charles, but with Big Eddie I'm perfectly safe to plug in. With or without buds, I'll never hear a car before he does. :heart:

I had another incident today involving an idiot wearing earbuds. When I go to pass people on my bicycle, I generally give a warning by saying "On your left."

Walkers and runners generally acknowledge that they've heard me by motioning with their left arm or hand.

The dimbulb today gave no indication whatsoever. I could see he was wearing ear pieces. I had no idea whether he'd heard me or not.

As I blasted past, I said (in a loud and obviously annoyed voice), "Did you hear me?"

For the life of me, I do not understand why people wear the damn things. The bike path I was riding extends for forty miles through a river valley, surrounding forest and farmland. There is the sound of rushing water, the rustle of the leaves, lots of songbirds and the cries of a wide variety of raptors.

Having chosen to be outdoors, you'd think they'd want to hear the sounds of nature. Why they don't is beyond my comprehension. I think they're idiots.

Especially while trail riding this time of year, Tou cannot hear the bears out in the forest for sure foraging and looking for Fooooood.

That would be the height of idiocy and deserving of a (posthumous) Darwin Award.

Fixed your thread title.

I fully agree with your sentiment but I really was making an effort to be accommodating and reasonable.

On the other hand, idiots texting or talking on cellphones whilst driving get both barrels.

I had another incident today involving an idiot wearing earbuds. When I go to pass people on my bicycle, I generally give a warning by saying "On your left."

Walkers and runners generally acknowledge that they've heard me by motioning with their left arm or hand.

The dimbulb today gave no indication whatsoever. I could see he was wearing ear pieces. I had no idea whether he'd heard me or not.

As I blasted past, I said (in a loud and obviously annoyed voice), "Did you hear me?"

For the life of me, I do not understand why people wear the damn things. The bike path I was riding extends for forty miles through a river valley, surrounding forest and farmland. There is the sound of rushing water, the rustle of the leaves, lots of songbirds and the cries of a wide variety of raptors.

Having chosen to be outdoors, you'd think they'd want to hear the sounds of nature. Why they don't is beyond my comprehension. I think they're idiots.

They wear them so they don't have to hear pretentious assholes like yourself screaming hysterically at them.

Did you remember to run this by the oil industry first?

Because the only thing that sounds better than the forest is metal in the forest.

Qj4RAhK.jpg

I run around a track more often than not so I'll wear my earbuds thankyouverymuch.

THIS is one reason (among many) of why you DON'T wear ear buds while bicycling or running.

Man Who Suffocated Attacking Mountain Lion Tells His Story

by Matthew S. Schwartz

"As 31-year-old Travis Kauffman thrashed at the bottom of a gully, wrestling with a mountain lion that wouldn't let go of his wrist, the Colorado man realized it might be his last day alive.

"Well, this would be a pretty crappy way to die," Kauffman remembers thinking. He told Luke Runyon of member station KUNC about it in his first sit-down media interview. "It very much turned into a full-on fight for survival."

Kauffman's incredible story made the rounds earlier this month, when media around the world reported of an anonymous runner who had killed a juvenile mountain lion in self-defense. Few details were announced at the time, and reporters had to rely on a statement from Colorado Parks and Wildlife...

...It was an unseasonably warm day as Kauffman, about 5-foot-10 and 155 pounds, threw on shorts and a fleece and headed to the foothills around Fort Collins for a trail run on the afternoon of Feb. 4. He decided not to listen to music on his run — a decision he says might have saved his life because it allowed him to hear his surroundings..."

more...

Hmmm... Sounds like a Roman entertainment. Big Eddie versus the mountain lion...

Back