Absolution (closed)

"As long as I have anything to say about it, the troubles in the keep will never touch this family again. Well, with the exception of how we all feel for you and the children, of course... I can't imagine how the boys and Valentina might feel if something happened to any of you."
 
Kitty didn’t say anything to that as she pulled on her cloak and picked up her satchel. Boar would be ready to go soon enough, after he finished what he was doing with Cole and Ciaran. Turning to look at Warwick, she saw the upset that he held deeply from the way that Ashelin was slowly declining, but she knew that he would do everything in his power to help and make her comfortable.

“You have no idea how lucky you are to have escaped. I know that things will be better when Tamblin is gone but it still doesn’t make this situation any easier.” Kitty said softly, finally admitting that she was well aware of the score. “And you’ll never know how jealous I am that you are able to hug that little girl so tightly whenever you want.”

Vincenzo often wrote her about how good Valentina was. She cared for others, read at levels well above her age, and never made a bit of trouble behind normal childhood mischief. Kitty lived for those brief moments with her youngest daughter, the one tangible reminder of her brief moment of happiness over half a world away.

“I don’t know how much longer all of my children will even be alive.” She whispered in a depressed tone. “Tamblin learned from Selena. He won’t make that same mistake again.”
 
Ashelin rose to hug Kitty tightly with a sigh. "I know it's no comfort, love... But this will end. We all promised you that one day, things would get better... But it won't be without its losses. We don't want to lose any of them either, but we can't stop them if they think they're doing what's right."

Warwick came to embrace her as well. "Send for me if you need anything at all, dear... It isn't much, but I'll do what I can to help."
 
Kitty nodded, her eyes straying towards Valentina one last time as she slumbered. One day she would know the whole story and that would have to be enough to appease Kitty in the meantime.

“We’ll all have to wait for that wonderful day when none of this matters anymore.” Kitty said softly, allowing Warwick to escort her to the door.
 
Boar soon followed her out and back toward the keep as the sun rode low in the sky. While it was still early in the day, the winter sun was short-lived. Upon their return, everything seemed quiet and Tamblin was sitting at the head of the hall alone, looking over a number of documents and a map. In the meantime, Selena was alone in a parlor near her own room, with the ambassador from Wick who had asked for a chance to speak with her about Abel Dunland.

"I think you will find the Prince quite acceptable, he is the epitome of a gentleman and a scholar" the ambassador finished his explanation of Abel's personality. "However, the King has sent me to consider you, milady."
 
“What is there to consider?” Selena asked, a frown on her face. “Either we will marry or we won’t. That’s all the consideration that there is at the moment.”

She had been standoffish since the ambassador had requested a meeting with her in private. Trying her hardest to act as a gracious hostess like her mother would have wanted, there was something about the man that she instantly disliked.
 
"I must consider your temperament, especially knowing your family's affinity for losing their temper far too easily. The king has also requested my opinion about your obedience, grace, hosting ability, and beauty. He wants to be sure his son has a queen that is not only worthy of joining the Wick Clan, but who is going to remain an asset to the Clan beyond just an alliance. He expects a proper noble lady, and he isn't certain that Tamblin Ghis has managed to raise one."

The ambassador circled her then, looking her up and down. "And after your rebellion against your father, we are even more concerned."
 
“Tamblin Ghis didn’t raise me, sir. My Ma did. She is the kindest woman you will ever meet in you’re life, so I would suggest watching your tongue when you speak of my temperament.” Selena challenged him, staring at him with her dark gaze as he looked her up and down.
 
"And I can see she failed to teach you respect for your betters and elders. You may be a Princess, girl, but I am an ambassador for your most dangerous enemy. You would do well to remember that if I so choose, your little kingdom will crumble under Lochlan O'Hennessey, and you'll only wish you had married Abel Dunland to prevent it," he threatened with a dark glare down at her, but also a hint of smugness as he knew his position of power. Even Tamblin was afraid of him.
 
“And as a princess, I am afforded due respect from people such as yourself. If you wish to have my respect, you’ll have to earn it.” Selena countered, catching his dark glare and slight smirk as he towered over her. “If I must speak directly to Abel myself, I will. I can show him just what kind of person I really am without the thoughts of a biased ambassador swaying him.”

“Selena.” A voice from the doorway had them both turning to see Kitty standing there, her gaze unreadable as she looked between the both of them.

“Yes, my lady?” Selena asked in a quiet tone with as much respect as she could muster. “The ambassador and I were speaking after his meeting with Da.”

“I know. He told me.” Kitty said as she stepped into the room, looking at the man closely. “Forgive me, my lord. My name is Katherine Ghis. I am the lady of this keep.”
 
"Your Majesty," the ambassador turned to bow. "Baron Alfred Meyer of Stockton. His Majesty King Lochlan O'Hennessey sends his regards. I'm sure you're aware of why I'm here. Your daughter and I have been discussing a potential match with Prince Abel. The king is eager to find a reliable partner for his son after Prince Brennan abdicated and eloped elsewhere."
 
“I know Brennan well. He rescued me from the battlefield your king created the night that Selena was born.” Kitty said polietly, if not a bit cool. “Selena, love, you didn’t provide refreshments?”

“I...didn’t. I didn’t know we were having this meeting until Ashien got me from my studies.” Selena admitted, her cheeks glowing slightly red as he mother scolded her gently.

“To the kitchens then. Ask for something appropriate.” Kitty said, sending Selena from the room and turning to look at Meyer. “She’s young. You must forgive her in that regard.”
 
Watching Selena turn to leave, Meyer straightened his jacket and stood a little straighter, giving Kitty his full attention. "I am well aware, milady. I'm sure you heard what I said, we don't need to dance around it. But my threats are only meant to inform her of the dangerous world she is entering. I would not restart a war over a simple social infraction. But that rebellious streak of hers is deadly, milady, to her and your family. If I were perhaps a diplomat from another clan king, this might not end so well. All of that said... I think Prince Abel would like her spirit. He's a soft sort entirely unlike the king, he needs a strong woman at his side to encourage him."
 
“Selena is not a horse to broken.” Kitty said as she raised an eyebrow at Meyer. “Horses have spirit. Young women have opinions. It doesn’t mean that she is right nor wrong.”

“If Selena is to be married to Abel, there are things that must be guaranteed first. After all, I’m her mother.” She said, not backing down from the ambassador in the least.
 
"And what would you request, milady?" He asked, clasping his hands behind his back and facing her with a polite but certainly unyielding posture. "I cannot make promises without the king's approval, but Prince Abel is certainly an accommodating sort."
 
“She will not be treated any differently because she is a Ghis. She will be allowed to live her life the way she sees fit, including hunting and training to fight. She will be allowed to come home when she wishes.” Kitty said, laying out the simple things first.
 
Meyer withdrew a pocket book from his jacket and jotted down what she said. "I will deliver these requests personally to the king and his son. While I cannot speak for the King himself, I doubt you will have to worry about these things with the Prince."
 
"And you will treat her with respect." Kitty said as Meyer mentioned that he would bring her concerns to Lochlan. "Above all, Selena Marie Ghis will be treated with the respect that her title is afford. By yourself and anyone else that comes into contact with her."
 
Meyer met Kitty's gaze at that and nodded, though he seemed fairly dismissive about the entire thing. As long as Lochlan hadn't agreed to any of Kitty's terms, Meyer himself was under no obligation to follow them yet. "Will there be anything else, milady?" He asked, lowering the pocket book. "I do have questions for your daughter, and I'm certain she may have some about the Prince and Wick."
 
"I'm sure there will be more, but at the moment, nothing that I can think of." Kitty said, glancing over as the door opened and Selena entered ahead of a kitchen maid who delivered refreshments as had been requested.

"Selena, he has some more questions that he would like to ask." Kitty said, looking over at her daughter as she stood back slightly. "Are you up to it now?"

Selena shrugged her shoulders slightly, hugging her injured arm against her chest in a defensive posture. "You have the right to say no, love."

"The sooner it's over with, the sooner we can all get on with our lives." Selena said in an almost bitter tone.
 
Meyer sighed rather annoyedly at Selena's attitude, muttering, "Indeed." He tucked away the pocket book and glanced once more to Kitty. "Will you be joining us, your Majesty?"
 
Kitty glanced over at Selena as the ambassador asked if she would be joining them. She didn't want to leave Selena alone with him, but she knew that this was something that Selena might need to do on her own.

"That's up to her." Kitty said as Selena looked towards her mother and gave her a nod. "Then I suppose I'll stay. Please, take a seat, sir."

As Meyer moved to take his seat, Kitty reached out and touched Selena's cheek, her fingers gentle on the still healing scar on her jaw. She couldn't really say anything to her with Meyer in the room, but she hoped that the moment calmed Selena enough that she wasn't so bristled and angry.

"She is perfectly capable of speaking for herself in these matters, so all questions will be directed towards her." Kitty murmured, giving her daughter the faith that she could get through this interrogation.
 
"Of course," Meyer opened his pocketbook once again to skim over previous notes. "Forgive me if some of these are rather... blunt... The King does not mince words. Being that you are a Ghis, milady, long at war with Wick... your entire life and beyond, I believe... The King is curious about... well, his exact words were 'are you going to be trouble?' What he means is, will your previous affiliations and connection to Inverness cause you to be particularly resistant to both his, and his son's rule and choices about future war? Of course there will be a neutrality agreement and eventual alliance between Wick and Inverness should this arrangement go through."
 
"As long as my brothers and sister are here in Inverness, I will always have loyalties to it." Selena answered, hearing Kitty sigh as her answer. "And I will speak my mind on matters involving Inverness, no matter who is the one making the decisions. You should ask your Lord if he would do the same if the situation was reversed."
 
"But what about other clans, and perhaps the High Throne? The King is always at odds with most outsiders. King Brian has been a particular thorn in the side of the northern clans for some time." Meyer seemed to dismiss her mention of Inverness, as if he already knew that answer or didn't care. "You will be expected to support war efforts."
 
Back
Top