New Poetry Recommendations

Good afternoon, paraskevidekatriaphobes! It's the Friday the 13th edition of Tzara Reads the New Poems.

Let's hope none of the day's submissions are by some guy named Jason, hmm?

Here we go:
  • I've never had the least bit of luck in trying to do an illustrated poem, but Neonurotic not only has the luck, he has the talent to work this idiosyncratic form really well. Neo has three illustrated poems today: Amelia, down, and Heart In Hand. The three are quite different, other than all being well-executed. Amelia is a sweet paean to the wonder that is one's child--a tender poem with an equally tender illustration. In down, the illustration has the interesting effect of placing the reader in the poem as an object at the bottom of a pool or stream, enhancing the overall impact of the poem. Heart In Hand is a short love poem on a more abstract background.

    Illustrated poetry is an art form of its own and Neo is good at it. T-zed recommends y'all check these out.
  • Tara_Neale also posts an illustrated poem today with the great title of Mister Men Have a Party. While the words of the poem didn't do much for me, it has a kind of funky, retro illustration that made me think of Colorforms in a whole different context (though apparently the title refers to a UK series of children's books). Kind of weirdly amusing.
  • Deep and Dark by DGWolf describes the beginnings of a relationship in occasionally overblown terms (For eons we stood / Staring at one another / Listening to the far reaches of reality), but the poem is more than the thoughtless dreck we often read here, so you might want to give it a try.
  • New poet MagnusBurton's first offering, Like a Rose would be the kind of dully rhymed piece I would find overly simplistic except that the complete lack of line breaks gives it a mantra-like quality, as if it was the type of thing one would chant while meditating. I'm not that makes it interesting as a poem, but it is a sort of interesting effect.
  • Cold tendrils. (sic) is a poem about the dead that has a distinctly nineteeth-century feel to it, which is probably appropriate for a poet named newoldcentury. Interesting, though it seems to me the first two lines are a bit off metrically. (That may be intentional on the poet's part, of course). Worth a look.
  • Finally, needtoexpress gives us The Search which seems to me to be closer to a snippet from a BDSM relationship column than a poem, but perhaps I'm tired from reading and typing.
That's all for this week, ladies and gents. Enjoy the weekend and tell some of our poets what you think of their work.

Au revoir.
 
Of this weekend's New Poems, I got a little intrigued only by the two offerings by Loli_P_Tang. See what you think, though. Do dead metaphors such as "timeless waltz" and "happily ever after" prevent the writer (and therefore the reader) from fully inhabiting these poems? I think the writer has the beginning of something worth encouraging. Pop by and leave a comment if you care to.
 
Last edited:
Only two poems up on the New Poems page. One is by MydNyteDreamer and the other is Downpour by oneiria; go read this one, it's a shorty. That's it folks. I'll check back later and see if more poems posted.

Have a good day.
 
Literotica was down, for me at least, so my contribution will be late. My apologies but the new poems do look interesting. Looking forward to "digging in" later.
 
My recommendations for today’s new poems, Once again, sorry for the delay.


PlayfulLittle1 posts a first in Lit today, Paper Swan. I like this poem, BDSM as origami. An unusual slant on a subject often poorly represented in here.

Eternal 88 offers his only poem since December ‘11 – Angry Little Man is amusing if a little stilted in places, fdor instance -

"Furthermore" he then did add, "it really is a sin" would read more smoothly as
“Furthermore” he added then “it really is a sin” No one says “he then did add” these days and the alternative doesn’t change the rythmn or meaning. Over all I liked it.
 
O O O O it's Friday again and while I may not be in love, I'm not reading poems either because there aren't any new poems, at least so far today. I'll check back later, but in any case enjoy the weekend, everyone.
 
Geez. I make the mistake of saying there are no new poems and The People Who Run Literotica promptly dump twelve new posts into the Friday mix. So I'd better take a look at them, I guess:

  • New Lit poet KatOstara contrasts how men and women view sexuality in Sexes Unite. She hardly sees the topic through a haze of romanticism: Do you jack off to thoughts of me / Am I the glove you wear. Bonus points for spelling "superseded" correctly.
  • Another new poet, Shotgun59 has three new poems today. A Night with You is a series of rhymed couplets in which the narrator describes, as you might well guess, a night with a lady friend. The rhymed couplets in Bottoms are all in praise of female rears. In The Fiddlers Romance he tells a little ironic tale in sonnet form. All three have a little awkwardness about the lines (Your hands touch me so tenderly soft, / That my skin puckers and feels embossed.), but have a kind of cheerful enthusiasm.
  • Your Effects by MydNyteDreamer is a short list of how the narrator's lover affects her.
  • DGWolf talks a lot about bridges (and a relationship) in Burn Your Bridge. I found this kind of funny, though I doubt that was the emotion DG was trying to convey. But the escalating repetitions on the bridge metaphor strike me a little like Wile E. Coyote in a Roadrunner cartoon. Sorry.
  • FluteMaster also is writing about a bummer relationship in Ending.
  • I didn't quite follow the theme of No Words by sammyjmm, perhaps because I pretty much lost interest in it early on, but I did like that it begins There are no words that can explain the finality I feel and then proceeds to add almost 300 more words to end the poem.
  • The prolific Ashesh9 uses one hell of a lot of exclamation points in The Irony of Sex ! (twenty, actually), and introduces the neologism sqeezasm. Read the poem for definition by context.
That's it for Friday. Y'all still have a great weekend.
 
Bunch of New Poems this Saturday. None I would recommend, but there were a lot of odes to the booty there so if you're into cabooses there're plenty to choose from!
 
Bunch of New Poems this Saturday. None I would recommend, but there were a lot of odes to the booty there so if you're into cabooses there're plenty to choose from!

Well, I've got to say the same for today. However, if anyone feels differently, by all means, feel free to recommend and use the comments in your favorite poems today.
 
Word Counts by shed9bdrummer

Shed9 is a new poet at lit. This piece is a quick homily about the need to think. It has several very clever metaphors and is worth a read.

My Dildo by stealth61bibi

A very clinical ode to the title character.

There are two submissions from Ashesh9, today.

Haik-verse by Ashesh9

Every cliche and meme has a place and time,so for this poem I ask, "What the fuck, man?"

Gown, Frown,Down ,Thrown ...! by Ashesh9©

A fun piece based on a single rhyme.

Loves Flower...by IMspidey

A nice short piece from a prolific Lit poet.


Lilcryingpet has two submissions today.

a tear by lilcryingpet

This is a bare narrative. It needs more.

Phoenix by lilcryingpet

This piece is a nice tale of rebirth and survival through destruction. The Phoenix metaphor is one which easily lends itself to a new expression.
 
It's another groovy Friday, people, and Zed Head is reading the new poems so that you don't have to. Let's see what's happenin' today:
  • New Lit poet Pultoy is rhymin' about what sounds to me suspiciously like some kind of planned revenge in The Coming Storm. Perhaps this is a "Loving Wives" kind of thing. Not my thing, but may be yours.
  • Another poet new to Lit, Cinner, posts three poems. In Pleasure, In Pain consists of some fleeting impressions from the consciousness of a submissive during a discipline session. Images of Submission is similar, but (at least to me) more interesting, both in writing and in form. Worth a look. Finally, New Love presents a more vanilla cuddliness.
  • Ashesh9 continues his love affair with the exclamation point in Hands cuffed behind Back !! which is about pretty much what you'd think, given the title.
  • New poet(s?) fuivaalcyone drop six poems like a little bouquet of flowers on us: Her Birds Flew, I Drink Him In, I Want You, Is There Good in This?, Moments of Him, and The Mark. All have a kind of dreamy quality that is something like the poetry equivalent of a soft-focus light erotic movie--sort of David Hamilton's Bilitis writ out in words. Some interesting moments and at least one unintentional clunker of a line. Worth a look.
  • My pick of the day, though, is Koba's Grounded, a rather rueful musing on human aspirations and limitations. Recommended.
Perhaps you should all go read the poems yourself and give some feedback. I'm sure the poets would appreciate it.

Have a nice weekend, all.
 
Saturday, April 28

Today there is only one new poem, a narrative piece by Dragonsbaine that tells a story familiar to anyone who has engaged in online romance. If you are inclined to enjoy the story without worrying too much about craft, stop by I Sit Alone.
 
Irony by LolitasLegacy

Almost too short for a real review, sort of a fortune cookie in two lines.

Blood Mistress by babtizedinfire

This is a type of narrative which I see more of these days. It relies solely on visual images, as if the observer describes a scene viewed through a window or on video screen, even when written in first person.

My Chocolate Kiss by sylentpoet

A nice piece about the heady feeling of control one feels when their touch is exciting to another person.

oh yeah by uzeustosun

Damn fine Ginsberg meets Bukowsky beat poetry. A first submission by a new Lit poet. This is today's must read.

Nighttime In The North by champagne1982

A very nice meditation from a long time and prolific Lit author. Well worth the read.

Hot Inside by elphaba69

Another first submission by a new Lit poet. This is a rhyming piece with an erratic rhyme scheme and few forced rhymes, but a pleasant read.

A Poem for Mutanity by seannelson

Mutanity? My first thought when I read the title was "Mutiny on the Bounty." I suppose it's a play on words, humanity to mutanity? It is full of interesting metaphors and imagery, but I'm not sure if the theme is Utopia or Rotten Gotham.
 
Out of order and a couple days late, but better late then never: Tzara's Natural Law is a great poem that hopefully everyone read. I'm in the mind that love sucks and rather the "benefits". And no surprise, I've been very hedonistic in such pursuits.
 
New to Writing, Forum, and back in the World of the Living...

I enjoy honesty and really want to become a better writer. So, that is why I am willing to tell you a little about myself.

I am a disabled Special Forces Squad Leader and have not written anything, other than love letters to my wife since college. I suffered a traumatic brain injury in a car crash and have had difficulties ever since. I write stuff for my wife and she says she loves it. Therefore, I put a small piece of my life on here and find out just how poorly written it was.

Do not get me wrong that does not change the way I feel about my wife in the slightest, in fact it shows me just how in love with me she really is, she is after all a grammar Nazi (English Literature PHD). She used to love the stuff I wrote and we would joke about her and her red pen--with her there are no love blinders when it comes to proper grammer--then we would make a minor adjustment here and there, but since the TBI, it is as if I have forgotten everything.

I was Special Forces so I do not give up without a fight. I will work as hard as I can to get this right. If I can learn to walk, talk, eat, and deal, mentally with what has happened to me then re-learning grammar and writing should be just another challenge to overcome. That pep talk was not really meant for you'll, but I have to stay in the right frame of mind.

All that just to ask you'll a few questions and I hope you can help.

  1. 1. Can someone please look at my new poem and tell me what they think or direct me to where I need to post the question? {LINK BELOW}
  2. 2. I need to find an editor so I do not make mistakes like [lion] for [loin] as I did in one of my poems, so if anyone knows someone?
  3. 3. Does anyone else get excited just waking up too see how many people have read what you have written?

My New poem:
TWO to BANG

Thank you all for your time,
Respecfully,
Liberator
 
Thursday, May 3rd.

I enjoy honesty and really want to become a better writer.

  1. 1. Can someone please look at my new poem and tell me what they think or direct me to where I need to post the question? {LINK BELOW}
  2. 2. I need to find an editor so I do not make mistakes like [lion] for [loin] as I did in one of my poems, so if anyone knows someone?
  3. 3. Does anyone else get excited just waking up too see how many people have read what you have written?

Thank you all for your time,
Respecfully,
Liberator

Welcome to the PFDF, Liberator. I'm so proud of your progress and your desire to learn and improve.

answers to -
1. See below.

2. If I can help, I will but there are others far more qualified than I.

3. I think we all like knowing our writing has been read, better still, appreciated.

Six new poems today. Of those 6 my recommendation is two to bang by withlovel because it is an original idea, something sadly lacking these days.
It’s rather cumbersome having to read the second part backwards and perhaps doesn’t quite work but the poet tried something different and for that I bring it here.

[edited to add that my decision to pick this poem was made before I read lovel's moving post above.]

Now, go read, comment and vote.
 
Last edited:
Friday, May 4

No new poems as of 9:00 AM PDT. I'll try and check back later--the post is often late on Friday.

In any case, have a good weekend, all.


ETA: Five new poems today. Here's a quick look at them:
  • Cinner contrasts the ideal childhood with a rather more disturbing alternative in Birthday.
  • speaking to myself by seannelson. I do not comment on this poet's work, but he probably would appreciate it if you did.
  • While I loved the line my torchered soul in Master! by Amy Moore, I'm afraid it's probably simply misspelled. Even tazz seemed a bit bemused by this poem.
  • Finally, Jack_Love pretty much says it all for me when he begins Ass Beat-Poetry with the line Perhaps the Most Ridiculous, Exhausting and Profane Conglomeration of Words you Might Ever Read. Inaccurate only in that I was unable to finish reading his offering, which is fairly lengthy.
OK. Done. Now all of you have a fine weekend.
 
Last edited:
Thank you all

I do have a rather simplistic style of writing, maybe a more direct and to the point. Maybe it will change with more experience or it might just be who I am now. For those that are interested this particular poem started with just three lines with the top and bottom two repeating and I just took it from there. In my head I hear them both saying the words simultaneously, with one male and one female voice. I also have read the poem a number of times so the flow seems effortless to me or it could all just be my brain injury and the voices in my head. lol Non-the-less I tried to express an idea and came up short. Without failures, you will never know what success is. Thanks to all who read, voted, enjoyed, commented, and got the word out. As always respectfully yours, L.
 
I do have a rather simplistic style of writing, maybe a more direct and to the point. Maybe it will change with more experience or it might just be who I am now. For those that are interested this particular poem started with just three lines with the top and bottom two repeating and I just took it from there. In my head I hear them both saying the words simultaneously, with one male and one female voice. I also have read the poem a number of times so the flow seems effortless to me or it could all just be my brain injury and the voices in my head. lol Non-the-less I tried to express an idea and came up short. Without failures, you will never know what success is. Thanks to all who read, voted, enjoyed, commented, and got the word out. As always respectfully yours, L.

We generally save this thread for poem recommendations and we have, To keep the review thread clean for chatting and such.
 
Sunday, May 6

Only four poems today and Beneath the Veil of Ganymede by oneiria stands out way above the rest.

It's apparent from the get-go that the Ganymede reference is lined up with the planet Jupiter.

of their mother's angry, red

hurricane eye

The poem looks simple at a glance, yet is imbued with all kinds of delightful little complexities that titillate the mind. The use of scientific words could have been a nightmare if written by a lesser poet, but oneiria works them nicely here.

in darkness,
dancing to the music

of infrasound

These few intriguing lines are among my favourites. Enjoy. :)
 
Last edited:
Great job on Sunday's reviews, Charley H. I am sorry that I had to run before I got Saturday's New Poems posted, but am posting now because I am able to recommend a few worth reading. Yay!

I am not so big on lines beginning with coordinating conjunctions, let alone whole stanzas, but admit that Sweet Oblivion's erotic poem Soft Cries was stirring.

Hmmnmm has a few this time. Of these I really enjoyed reading Tour Guidance which has this interesting Vonnegut ish tone.

Interspersed between Hmmnmm's offerings and the poem by Sweet Oblivion are some poems that use more conventional rhyme structures (but with flawed meter) and one-word line poems employing structural repetition. See if you like 'em. All in all, (thanks again CH) a decent weekend for poetry in New Poems.
 
Back
Top