What was the last book you read?

AppleBiter

In Cognito
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Posts
3,601
Well, you literary geniuses, you . . . what was it? Would you recommend it?

Mine was Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire. And yes, I would highly recommend it.

I'm half-way through The Order of the Phoenix as we speak.
 
I just finished Reservation Blues, by Sherman Alexie. I highly recommend it! It's hilarious in some spots and heartwrenching in others, but definitely worth the read. I fully expect to read it again in a month or two...some parts are just so funny and so touching.

This is the back blurb:

In the 111-year life of the Spokane Indian reservation, not one person has arrived by accident - until the day the black stranger appears with nothing more than the suit he wears and the guitar slung over his back. The man happens to be the legendary bluesman Robert Johnson, in flight from the devil and presumed long dead. And when he passes his enchanted instrument to young Thomas Builds-the-fire - storyteller, misfit, and musician - a magical odyssy begins. From reservation bars to small-town taverns, from the cement trails of Seattle to the concrete canyons of Manhattan, Thomas and his Coyote Springs bandmates careen through ancestral nightmares and rock-and-roll dreams, sounding chords of celebration and survival as timeless as their tribe.
 
AppleBiter said:
Well, you literary geniuses, you . . . what was it? Would you recommend it?

Mine was Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire. And yes, I would highly recommend it.

I'm half-way through The Order of the Phoenix as we speak.


The Half-Blood PRince and it was good.

\Currently on the last little bitof Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub. The first fifty or so pages were really hard for me to get through, but from then on it's been an amazing read.
 
carsonshepherd said:
i love Sherman Alexie. great stuff.

He's my favorite author......and he does a helluva stand-up comedy routine, too.
 
What, like read AND finished? Ummm.....

For Sci-Fi I'm reading through the newest editions of Orson Scott Card's Ender series...Right now I'm reading Shadow of the Hegemon.

I've started reading Red Mars by Kim Robinson. Awesome so far.

I just finished up Needful Things by Steven King and I'm about 1/8 of the way through Tommyknockers

For non-fiction I've finished reading a book on Roman Britain and I'm currently reading On War by Van Clauswitz.
 
Reading fluff books right now. Just finished Otherwise Engaged by Eileen Goudge.

SJ
 
The last book I read?

Maniac Magee. My little charges and I were reading it together, but I used to read it every week when I was a kid.

GROWN-UP last book I read: When Dad Killed Mom
 
she_is_my_addiction said:
The last book I read?

Maniac Magee. My little charges and I were reading it together, but I used to read it every week when I was a kid.

GROWN-UP last book I read: When Dad Killed Mom

Wow...that's....wow. Sounds like a hell of a switch.

Anyone here ever read Santa Steps Out?
 
The_Darkness said:
Wow...that's....wow. Sounds like a hell of a switch.

Anyone here ever read Santa Steps Out?

Honestly? I still love Maniac Magee. It's a wonderful book dealing with black kids and white kids and their perceptions of each other. There's no set era but we can guess that it takes place in the sixties. Maniac's the protagonist. I'd recommend it to anyone for a heartwarming and quick read.

Just because you're all grown up doesn't mean that you have to forget the books you read when you were younger. Believe me when I tell you, if you go back and read a couple now, you'll still feel the same magic you did when you were a kid.
 
she_is_my_addiction said:
Honestly? I still love Maniac Magee. It's a wonderful book dealing with black kids and white kids and their perceptions of each other. There's no set era but we can guess that it takes place in the sixties. Maniac's the protagonist. I'd recommend it to anyone for a heartwarming and quick read.

Just because you're all grown up doesn't mean that you have to forget the books you read when you were younger. Believe me when I tell you, if you go back and read a couple now, you'll still feel the same magic you did when you were a kid.

True enough. I've never thrown/given books away...ever....in another 3 years or so when my little one starts reading, he/she's gonna inherit a boat load of the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books and a bunch of other ones that I've thinned from the library in the last few years.

I'm actually kicking around the idea of writing a kid's book....like young adult type...a long forgotten memory resurfaced from when I was probably 10 about a game a friend and I would play (no, not that, sickos) and it'd be kind of a cool story....
 
Does non-fiction count? The last book I read was :

When God was a Woman

Amazon Link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/015696158X/002-8345470-7645635?v=glance

I picked it up at B&N because the title and price both caught my eye. ;) As one might expect from the title, the book explores ancient cultures whose creation myths centered upon a female creator. With any book proclaiming to be factual, one must wonder how much is history and how much is propaganda, but this one at least stirred me to do additional reading on the topic.

Take Care,
Penny
 
Last edited:
I just finished "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" and it was amazing! I highly recommend it to anyone.
 
Hm, this past week I've begun and finished off "Harry Potter and the half-blood prince", "The Da Vinci Code" and I just started on Marian Keyes' "Watermelon". Yeah, I don't have a life. :rolleyes:
 
"Dream Lover" by Lyn Denison.
Nice, simple, and hot in a innocent sort of way.
 
I've been picking my way through The Doubter's Companion by John Ralston Saul. Since it's a dictionary, I can pick and choose where to read in it.

I've also restarted Saul's book Voltaire's Bastards - The Dictatorship of Reason in The West.

I think they are both brilliant books but I'm not sure I would recommend them. Most people who read these works quickly build a fire to burn them in.
 
This week:

Fiction:
Conan Doyle: 'Sir Nigel' and 'The White Company'
Arthur Upfield 'Bony and the Kelly Gang'
Max Brand 'The Gambler'
John Harris 'A Funny Place to Hold a War'
Susan Moody 'Penny Royal'
Ramsey Campbell 'Scared Stiff - Tales of Sex and Death'
John Lymington 'The Grey Ones'
Piers Anthony 'Geis of the Gargoyle'
Poul Anderson 'Three Hearts and Three Lions'

Non-Fiction:
Ed. Arthur Frank 'Yours Truly - True Life Stories from the Good and the Great' (a collection of after dinner anecdotes)
Tim Tate and Ray Wyre 'Murder Squad'
Leonard Mosley 'The Druid - The Nazi Spy Who Double-Crossed the Double-Cross System'

Conan Doyle and Arthur Upfield I enjoyed re-reading. Max Brand seemed formulaic. John Harris was disappointing; so were Ramsey Campbell and John Lymington.

Piers Anthony was enjoyable as usual. Poul Anderson's fantasy was a good read with some interesting episodes.

'Yours Truly' was very variable but worth reading for the few good stories.

'The Druid' left too many questions unanswered including the most critical one - Was he a free agent while in the UK or was he controlled like all the other Nazi spies?

Now you know why I ran a book store. I read too much.

Og
 
I've also recently finished a stack of Pat Cornwell books.

Janet Evonovich is one of my favorites, as well as Sue Grafton.
 
Been on an origins-of-religion kick.

Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard Friedman, a fascinating book examining the origins of the Old Testament. (Modern scholarship sees that there were 4 authors, each with their own political axe to grind. The whole book looks like it was put together by the prophet Ezra.)

How Did Christianity Really Begin? by Howard M. Teeple of Northwestern U. looks at the earliest Christians' ideas about Christ and his teachings, which were quite different from what people believe now.

River of God by Gregory Riley is a cultural examination of early Christian thought, teasing apart Greek, Hebrew, Egyptian, and Persian influences.

Rereading The Wine Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brian and just got a book of the collected works of Raymond Chandler out of the library.
 
dr_mabeuse said:
Been on an origins-of-religion kick.

Who Wrote the Bible? by Richard Friedman, a fascinating book examining the origins of the Old Testament. (Modern scholarship sees that there were 4 authors, each with their own political axe to grind. The whole book looks like it was put together by the prophet Ezra.)

How Did Christianity Really Begin? by Howard M. Teeple of Northwestern U. looks at the earliest Christians' ideas about Christ and his teachings, which were quite different from what people believe now.

River of God by Gregory Riley is a cultural examination of early Christian thought, teasing apart Greek, Hebrew, Egyptian, and Persian influences.

Rereading The Wine Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brian and just got a book of the collected works of Raymond Chandler out of the library.

I've heard River of God is really good and well written. I'd also recommend The 5 Books of Moses by Robert Alter. It's an equisite retranslation of the first 5 books of the bible and it tries to reassemble definitions of lost words within the context of the whole group of books, not just within a particular passage. Absolutely stunning achievement.
 
Black Betty by Walter Mosley.

It was on the same level as Mosley's other books, and that's very high.

Rumple Foreskin :cool:
 
Nothing in the past month, unless you consider "Surviving Cancer and it's affects on the Family'. (Started reading it for work and got buried in it.) All of my other books are currently packed away and will remain so until after the move. (Damn I hate moving.)

Cat
 
The last book I read was The Human Stain : A Novel by Philip Roth. I'm on a bit of a Roth kick of late. The next book I read will definitely be Until I Find You : A Novel by John Irving.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top