Hormones maketh the man

It's only a poster session, and only a moderate correlation, so the findings are preliminary at best but it's still an interesting result. I'd want to see a much larger sample, appropriate comparison groups and higher scan resoutions as I'm dubious about large changes in such a short time period.

You can read the abstract here.

Agreed, it's a short period, but often these initial results are used to justify the research costs to allow more work, so lets watch that grey space ;)

Also, given how many obvious physical changes T makes, is it any great surprise there are changes in the brain as well?

Last edited:
Yes, every bit of successful research always adds that more research (and therefore funding) is required.

This is one of the reasons (academic as opposed to industrial) science is a such a strange career: study hard, get BSc so you can then do a PhD, which allows you to do Post-Doc research but also get involved in writing funding proposals to help your Principal Investigator, then become a PI yourself and spend all your time writing proposals so that you can manage others, who're doing what you trained so long to learn how to do. :rolleyes:

Yes, every bit of successful research always adds that more research (and therefore funding) is required.

This isn't always about funding, mind. Sometimes it's code for "yes I know there are other angles worth pursuing here, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life working on this one project". A "further research" section eases the conscience for all the things you didn't get around to doing.

This is one of the reasons (academic as opposed to industrial) science is a such a strange career: study hard, get BSc so you can then do a PhD, which allows you to do Post-Doc research but also get involved in writing funding proposals to help your Principal Investigator, then become a PI yourself and spend all your time writing proposals so that you can manage others, who're doing what you trained so long to learn how to do. :rolleyes:

I have a friend in research admin who spends much of her time wrangling professors to write grant proposals. Her process for meeting deadlines involves a mix of shaming and baked goods.

I doubt that would have worked for me :D
Though my vegetarian enchiladas always drew very appreciative comments from house guests.

I miss the intellectual stimulation of a career in science, but when I compare the hours I was expected to work to be a good-little-scientist, to the hours I work in a moderately-skilled job, and the relatively small difference in remuneration, it's better this way. Crazy, but true. What a waste... :rolleyes:

BTW, have you guys heard of researchgate.net ?
You can see who's citing your publications and such like.

Last edited:
I doubt that would have worked for me :D
Though my vegetarian enchiladas always drew very appreciative comments from house guests.

I miss the intellectual stimulation of a career in science, but when I compare the hours I was expected to work to be a good-little-scientist, to the hours I work in a moderately-skilled job, and the relatively small difference in remuneration, it's better this way. Crazy, but true. What a waste... :rolleyes:

I know that feeling. I was lucky enough to end up in a job that lets me use my skills without the long hours or the funding cycle. (Well, there's always a funding cycle, but not like that.

BTW, have you guys heard of researchgate.net ?
You can see who's citing your publications and such like.

Yeah, they mail me every time somebody looks at one of mine. Sadly the stuff that's up there is years old and from a previous career.

I've only got one publication, from 2000. I'm tickled to know it gets cited, especially after the then Head of Department was so scathing about my findings.

get involved in writing funding proposals to help your Principal Investigator, then become a PI yourself and spend all your time writing proposals
^ The main reason I don't do neuroscience research any more.

^ The main reason I don't do neuroscience research any more.
meh - you just got squeamish about sticking electrodes in ppls brains ;)
Some good comes out of research, even if it's at a later date when someone comes along and says 'this is all BS, lets start again'
The science has come a long way: they even listen to patients now :eek:

I've only got one publication, from 2000. I'm tickled to know it gets cited, especially after the then Head of Department was so scathing about my findings.

Me, I got fired because I wouldn't give the Big Boss the findings he wanted. Which is why it's a "previous career" :-/

(And then he put my name to those findings anyway, and I had to get it taken off. Fun times.)

Not entirely dissimilar to my experiences. One pivotal moment when I began to lose faith in scientific integrity was when my PI told me my results were clearly wrong, because he knew what they should be and what they should look like.

The fact that we had never ran this assay on this particular tissue before, and therefore no one could know what the results would be, seemed entirely inconsequential. It hasn't stopped him having a continuing and successful career in science though.

(Sorry, we seem to have derailed this one...)

Not entirely dissimilar to my experiences. One pivotal moment when I began to lose faith in scientific integrity was when my PI told me my results were clearly wrong, because he knew what they should be and what they should look like.

The fact that we had never ran this assay on this particular tissue before, and therefore no one could know what the results would be, seemed entirely inconsequential. It hasn't stopped him having a continuing and successful career in science though.

Oh yeah. The worst ones seem to be the guys who had a big success early in their career and came away believing in their own infallibility.

Back