Anybody interested in going to Harlem to make drawings of tulips??

THROBBS

I am Fauve
I would, but I don't have the time or money just now. We'd have to "go Dutch", anyway.:rolleyes:

Drawing tulips on an organ is better than roses on a piano!

Ahhahhahahhahahha! tulips/two lips AHahhHAhahhahahahahahahaahahaaa

at least in the windmills of my mind.

Last edited:
tulips.jpg

1331326872236_9869675.png

by the way...it was an intentional misspelling (this time) of Haarlem (Netherlands):D

I do like the fantasy concept of a harem, but most of the realities... not so much. I have been through some parts of Harlem, but never to any part of Haarlem.

I should plant more tulips, and crocuses and daffodils...

I really enjoy this time of year when they start popping up.

:confused:
awe!
The Pasha had the thread pulled.
And I thought he was giving it to us "limited Americans".

I love flowers. :) I dunno what zone you live in, but if it's mine or similar (zone 6) I'm happy to give tips on what grows well.

Someday I want to do the art for a plant-breeding game like Plant Tycoon. http://www.ldw.com/plant_tycoon.php (Btw anyone who looks at this game, I've heard they screwed up the phone version when they added the ads; if you want to play the hour-long free trial it's preferable to do so with the PC version.)

I love flowers. :) I dunno what zone you live in, but if it's mine or similar (zone 6) I'm happy to give tips on what grows well.

Someday I want to do the art for a plant-breeding game like Plant Tycoon. http://www.ldw.com/plant_tycoon.php (Btw anyone who looks at this game, I've heard they screwed up the phone version when they added the ads; if you want to play the hour-long free trial it's preferable to do so with the PC version.)

Hahahahahahahahaha! You so funny!

What grows well, is what survives.

I don't garden. I might shove some bulbs in the ground.

That's pretty much what I do, actually - bulbs and other perennials, I stick them in the ground. By 'grows well' I mean the ones that are still there after 3 years. For example, tulips often don't perennialize well. But having grown about 20 varieties of tulips I can tell you that Claudia tulips (purple with a white edge) are the most successful of all the ones I've tried (not counting species tulips). I can also tell you, don't plant bearded iris anywhere that isn't up against a wall or fence, unless you live somewhere that never gets high winds. I can tell you muscari (grape hyacinth) are surprisingly good at fighting back against aggressive weeds and ground cover, and a good choice for the ground at the base of a larger perennial like a rose bush. And I can tell you that if you have squirrels, bunnies, and/or deer, your best choice is to plant alliums because, being ornamental onions, they smell and taste bad to most animals. :cattail:

Last edited:
That made me smile. :) Maybe she's christening a new set of tools with a fertility rite for a new year of planting - when tulips bloom is the time to put the first seeds in the ground. (I came up with that because I was having difficulty believing any tools that had been used for gardening would ever be clean enough to do that with, lol. Mine always have mud everywhere. ;) )

Hey, are you familiar with butterfly daffodils? They are blooming now too, I always thought they had a Georgia O'Keefe sort of look, iykwim. They even come in pink.
19653.jpg
e_04_13_09_111025.jpg
1284726838.jpg

Oh, some other tips for actual gardening - columbines are a nice thing to plant mixed with tulips, because when the tulips are in bloom the columbines are shorter and have pretty leaves, and when the tulips are done the columbines get big, conceal the dying tulip leaves, and bloom for pretty much the rest of the year until the first frost. Columbines come in some great shapes and colors too. Their only minor downside is if you plant them as seeds they won't bloom the first year, but it's significantly more pricy to buy them as potted plants. Peonies are the same way - a shrub that flowers year after year, comes in a nice assortment of shapes and colors, but if you plant them the cheap way as roots they won't bloom the first year. Daylilies even more so, if you plant them as roots they may take 2 years to bloom.

That made me smile. :) Maybe she's christening a new set of tools with a fertility rite for a new year of planting - when tulips bloom is the time to put the first seeds in the ground. (I came up with that because I was having difficulty believing any tools that had been used for gardening would ever be clean enough to do that with, lol. Mine always have mud everywhere. ;) )

Hey, are you familiar with butterfly daffodils? They are blooming now too, I always thought they had a Georgia O'Keefe sort of look, iykwim. They even come in pink.
19653.jpg
e_04_13_09_111025.jpg
1284726838.jpg

Oh, some other tips for actual gardening - columbines are a nice thing to plant mixed with tulips, because when the tulips are in bloom the columbines are shorter and have pretty leaves, and when the tulips are done the columbines get big, conceal the dying tulip leaves, and bloom for pretty much the rest of the year until the first frost. Columbines come in some great shapes and colors too. Their only minor downside is if you plant them as seeds they won't bloom the first year, but it's significantly more pricy to buy them as potted plants. Peonies are the same way - a shrub that flowers year after year, comes in a nice assortment of shapes and colors, but if you plant them the cheap way as roots they won't bloom the first year. Daylilies even more so, if you plant them as roots they may take 2 years to bloom.

Um yeah...the "2 lips" really threw me for a loop Throbbs. :confused:

And Sunshadow, I too see O'Keefe in those beautiful flowers. ;)

Um yeah...the "2 lips" really threw me for a loop Throbbs. :confused:

And Sunshadow, I too see O'Keefe in those beautiful flowers. ;)

The entire thread was just a joke/parody about a thread: "Anybody interested in drawing pictures for a harem story I wrote"<(or something like that, he had a fit when I questioned his legitimacy, wrote a couple scathing PMs to me, called me an "idiot" and an "limited American" in a reply and pulled ALL of his posts). So, this thread has no context. :)

so "harem", became Harlem, an intentional misspelling of Haarlem, which "explains" :rolleyes: (not really) the tulip reference, which lead to the old joke: "What's better than Roses on a Piano? Tulips (Two Lips) on an organ." ha ha ha. :):D:rolleyes:

Back