CDers- Measuring for Bras

phoenix1105

Really Experienced
In my enduring quest to find bras that fit comfortably with breastforms I have found that a lot of stores/websites vary in the method to measure. I was wondering if any one method was more reliable for guys using breastforms. I mean depending on which "guide" I measure by I can be anywhere from a 36DD to a 40B or C.

It is just a pain to have to buy several of the same bra in different sizes so I can figure out which fits the best. Any tips would be appreciated!

How are you measuring that you are getting such a varied result??? The number part of the bra size is supposed to be the measurement around your chest where the bottom of the bra will sit. (Round up, adding at least an inch, for comfort and room to move. You'd have to be a rather thin small-boned guy to fit into a 36.) Since the breast forms should theoretically sit above this line, in the cups, they should not affect this measurement. Cup size is harder to measure and depends on the breast forms, but band size is usually pretty easy to determine.

Eg. I am 41 inches around the chest, so I wear a 42 or 44 band size, depending whether the bra is stiff or stretchy.

Last edited:
You are address exactly what I mean. The more traditional way of measuring a couple inches below the nipple, around the ribcage comes out to 36 or 37 inches depending on how tight the tape is. However when I have gone into chain stores like Lane Bryant, Torrid, etc.. They measure it differently. They start around the same place on the back, but instead of going around staying horizontal, they arc up above where natural breast would be. I don't know if I can post the address on this board( I tend to lurk) but if you check out Victoria's Secret's way to measure, you will see what I mean.

I guess the other side of the problem is I don't have anyone in my life to tell me if a given bra fits right. I am only going on what feels comfortable...

Oh and I am kind of a weird shape. I am about 6 foot, 160 lbs., 34 waist. So that may be why I can fit in a wide variety of sizes? I am definitely not an authority on these things.

Lane Bryant have a good reputation for assisting CD/TV/TG with proper fittings and helping you to try on a few until you get the comfort you are looking for. Take your forms with you - phone ahead for a convenient time.

Band under boob for band size; band over boob for cup size is part of the reason for the different measurements. Typically go down a size in band and go up a size in cup so a 40B could be a 38C or 36D depending on the give in the band. But with forms you cheat the 'standard' measure anyway - get a band that fits.

Measuring is just a first step as comfort is all that matters and with so many brands, styles, materials, etc. there is a huge variation. Nothing will beat a fitting though.

You're supposed to go on what feels comfortable - especially what's still comfortable after 6 or 8 hours of wear, though obviously you can't measure that in a store. If it feels comfortable it's the right size, as long as you don't have 'wings' of flesh sticking out the arm holes - not usually a problem for anyone in the mid to low weight range, which 160 at 6 foot would be mid range. IMO you need a 38 band size, unless you run into a specific bra that's made too small or too stiff, in which case you might need a 40. What emmcee says is correct - under boob for band size, over boob for cup size. Though that's not the only way to measure cup size.

The complexity of cup side comes from the fact that the system tries to measure a 3D object with a 1D measurement. Breasts come in some quite different shapes - for example mine are U shaped, with the nipple pointing basically downward from near the bottom of the U (unfortunately not my favorite shape, though it could be worse). Some breasts are more like a pear shape. with the nipple up by the widest part of the pear and pointing a bit upward or straight forward. Some breasts are more like a cone or pyramid, with the nipple pointing straight forward. And some are like the shape of a bell, a U-shaped breast but then the areola and nipple project out/down from that like the handle of the bell. Breast forms on the other hand vary from circular or oval for the less realistic ones which just kind of squish around whatever's naturally on your chest, while the more realistic ones are an idealized breast shape with a pocket behind that for the natural chest and flanges at the edges that can be glued to the skin and makeup used to hide the seam. So the type of breast form heavily determines what cub size and bra styles would work.

The best way to get a proper and comfortable bra is to have a professional fitting , take your breast forms with you and the fitter will assist you to make sure you get the right style and size for your body type .
Bras and bra manufacturers sizes are all different , a size 40 b might be a 42 a in another brand or you might measure 40" and find that a 42 or 44 in a different style or brand fits perfectly.

You are probably right, getting a professional fitting would be my best bet. I have had decent luck with Lane Bryant letting me try on bras. I would really like to find a Victoria's Secret close to me that would let me try on bras. I had mixed luck with VS where I used to live.

Should I just call a VS store? I mean, is it as simple as calling and saying, "Hey my name is bla bla, do you do bra fittings for guys, I would like to try on some different styles?" I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable first and foremost. However, I would also like to be able to try on different sizes and styles with my forms in store so I don't have to buy a bunch of sizes and try them on at home and then return what doesn't fit right.

It would be wise to call first to see what the stores policies are and to explain what you're looking for , they might do an after hours fitting for you , make sure you buy some bras from them so there not wasting their time .

man boobs

I have man boobs and they are 48 b's. I find bra's as well as heels at shoebuy.com. You measure just under your bobs (mine 48) to get the size. Then measure around the meaty part across the nipples to get the cup size (mine are 50) every inch add a cup size. Mine being 2 ins bigger a b cup. For women's heels 2 sizes bigger than your size. I am a men's 13 need women's 15. Have fun gurls!!!

Back