What goes into names?

jaykaythree

Really Experienced
Your individual mileages may vary, but I have a few conventions I like to follow in naming characters:

1) First and last names are everything. This, to me, gives characters less of a generic feel and more of a grounded one.

2) In that light, I treat character names like those of more destructive hurricanes -- once I use it, it appears in no other story universe (e.g., the first names Jason and Emily, and likewise the surmame Kelley, will only ever appear in Naples, Missouri, or stories emanating from it).

3) I'm trying to keep creative with middle names, but I already have two male leads (and maybe a third) who are, as of 4/29/2023, married to women with Ann for a middle name. That middle name field might be where I allow the best flexibility.

The field is open ... I'm interested to know how you do it. The above examples are just me, but that's what makes Lit Lit -- different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
2) In that light, I treat character names like those of more destructive hurricanes -- once I use it, it appears in no other story universe (e.g., the first names Jason and Emily, and likewise the surmame Kelley, will only ever appear in Naples, Missouri, or stories emanating from it).
My approach to the use of “Emily” is marginally different to yours, hun 😬.

As I’ve been preoccupied with Sci-Fi writing of late, I try to create names that are meaningful (or a joke). Not fond of “the grxxalgy fought the jjbwtyhl”.

Em

I like to have fun with names while keeping them appropriate for the story and the particular character.

In my latest mainstream novel, I relied heavily on names from mythology, actually naming my female lead, "Minerva", while her sister was named "Athena". The same goddess, only one from the Roman and one from the Greek. Their parents were named Ulysses and Pandora, while Athena's son was named Alexander.

I have a spreadsheet full of male and female names and cross them off as they're used so that they don't get repeated for different characters.

Alliteration with names is also sometimes fun.

For characters outside my own background, I try to research the relevant naming practices so I'm picking something appropriate for the character, or get advice from somebody who knows. That can include understanding when a name might have more than one form, and when each is used.

After that, I might look at baby name lists (there are some handy by-decade ones out there) and pick something that sounds good. Sometimes I'll go with one that has a meaning related to the character, or sometimes I might go for a name from a song. It can take a while for the right name to click. If I remember, I'll google the full name to make sure it doesn't have any unintended associations.

I try to avoid reusing first names, but the one time I slipped up on this (that I've noticed!) I decided there was no reason co-worker Lucy couldn't be the the same Lucy who'd been mentioned in an earlier story as the protagonist's ex. That gave me some neat ideas for the character.

My stories all take place in the same setting with cameos between them, so I also avoid reusing names as otherwise it would get confusing who's who.

I don't typically use surnames, as worried I'll accidentally name someone after a real person. When I do I tend to google the name to make sure it doesn't come up with anyone.

I like to have fun with names while keeping them appropriate for the story and the particular character.

In my latest mainstream novel, I relied heavily on names from mythology, actually naming my female lead, "Minerva", while her sister was named "Athena". The same goddess, only one from the Roman and one from the Greek. Their parents were named Ulysses and Pandora, while Athena's son was named Alexander.

I have a spreadsheet full of male and female names and cross them off as they're used so that they don't get repeated for different characters.

Alliteration with names is also sometimes fun.
I used Minerva once. I think I got it from the name of an apartment building.

I don't obsess about names too much. Sometimes I just use first names. The last name may reveal the ethnic identity of a person. For one story, I had a woman who was half French-Canadian, so I picked a last name from the film Paths of Glory (Rojet). She always had trouble with people pronouncing it as Roe-jet.

Sometimes I run through the old yearbooks I have, and combine last names with first names of other people. One thing I have to be aware of is that in earlier decades many families hid their ethnic identity by Anglicizing or changing their last names. Few people know that Anne Bancroft was originally Anne Italiano.

Below, Wayne Morris as Lieutenant Rojet on the left, with Kirk Douglas on the right.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt005082...998&ft1=image_type&fv1=still_frame&ref_=tt_ch

I have a few surprises in the Geek Pride story. I used several movie character names in that.

Last edited:
Married women often take their maiden name as their middle name, and people of Roman Catholic persuasion often have four names--one being a saint's name. Names should be consistent with the ethnic background of the characters.

I try to avoid names that are very common. I've made exceptions but usually for specific reasons. I think of the people I know--even those in my own family--and I find a lot more diversity than I usually see in Lit stories. I try to keep some of that diversity in naming my characters.

Most important to me is that they not be able to be confused with other names in the story (unless shared names is part of the point of the story). They have to fit my concept of that character and I'm often searching for ones that fit the ethnicity and time period of the character. Character names--at least for the characters I set out with--are one of the first things I pin down before writing.

I write too many stories to worry about the names being unique to individual stories.

Er.... kinda wing it. Surnames aren't very important to me; they get added in if-and-only-if the story asks for it.

First names tend not to be repeated across my stories, and are chosen based on what I think suits the characters. Agree very much with @KeithD that names sufficiently different so as to not confuse the reader are essential. I can't abide stories that drop 8 names in the first 3 paragraphs to include James, Jimmy, Jim, Jamie and Jamie (female variety) as five different people. I exaggerate... but not by much.

Last edited:
I'm all for interesting names... I agree with you OP, it gives realism and depth to the characters that in turn makes them memorable and sort of... brings them to life. That said, I'm never picky on whether they have a complete first and last name, as long as their names aren't essentially 'run of the mill', like Beth or Josh. Alternately, names that strike me as someone just cramming together a bunch of syllables that make me question pronunciation are my least favorite sort of names to come by as a reader.

As far as naming my characters, I do occasionally peruse name-collective websites for inspiration but for the most part, I don't tend to have a hard time coming up with first and lasts that sound interesting but not overly dramatic, just off the top of my head. I suppose I have years of roleplaying to thank. -shrugs-

In the series I'm currently working on, no one uses their real first or last name, they all go by descriptive codenames (of animals, historic figures, personality traits or otherwise) typically bestowed on them by their peers. It's a growing lore that giving up your real name is bad luck or gives another individual power over you. It's a silly superstition, but I might honestly play on it as the story progresses in a sort of 'cruel irony' sort of way... I have had endless fun playing with this use of names.

Probably best not to use unusual names already taken in literature, such as Uriah Heep or Tyrone Slothrop.

Or Lolita.

I did create 'Kira Thrupshot' for one tale, no reason not to have fun.

Nicknames are just as important, if not more. It's fun when the name is a plot device. Part of their character. I had a protagonist that built sand castles, her name was Sandy - OK, kind of silly, I know, makes me smile in every re-read though. In another, the names of the main characters weren't revealed until 2/3 the way through, and even after weren't used very much, it was part of the story. Break your own rules. Zig when you must, but if the opportunity is there, then Zag.

Still looking to use names from Great Grandad's legendary past, his best friends were Bobo DeGrope (man) and Mugs Blotchet (woman), and he had two sisters, Viney and Toots (short for Tootsie). Fun.

I also try hard not to reuse first names, but some really common male names - like "Tom" or "Bill" - will be recycled if they're minor characters only appearing in one or two chapters. Female names are never reused.

First and last? Absolutely, for main characters, or minor characters in professional situations with the MCs. Helps with building the "whole person" relationships with the reader.

And yes, YMMV.

Last edited:
Nicknames are just as important, if not more. It's fun when the name is a plot device. Part of their character. I had a protagonist that built sand castles, her name was Sandy - OK, kind of silly, I know, makes me smile in every re-read though. In another, the names of the main characters weren't revealed until 2/3 the way through, and even after weren't used very much, it was part of the story. Break your own rules. Zig when you must, but if the opportunity is there, then Zag.

Still looking to use names from Great Grandad's legendary past, his best friends were Bobo DeGrope (man) and Mugs Blotchet (woman), and he had two sisters, Viney and Toots (short for Tootsie). Fun.

Your Granpap's name collection is an epic story waiting to be told in itself... they'd hit so well in a period based story. Old west... or Dust Bowl, maybe? Idk. But I'd definitely read a story on the basis of those names alone. :D

Names are picked to fit the character. I give thought to what the names mean. I work to ensure the names, like the characters; reflect the ethnicity of where the given story is set. I'm not opposed to re-using a name, though I can't recall any major examples of doing it.

I don't really care about things like surnames or middle names unless they matter for a story or there's a moment in a scene where it would be naturally used. As a Californian - that's not something we socially care about. So it's going to pop up mostly in moments where someone is filling out or reading from a form. I imagine these things differ elsewhere. If I were to set a story in New England I'd probably do a lot of research first.

Nothing bothers me more than reading a story set in 'California' where everyone or even a lot of people have Anglo or Irish names, or they give their surnames, or if even one character mentions a 'pub' or uses a word like 'mate' (when not referring to their breeding partner) or 'bloody' (unless referring to a crime scene photo) I'm mentally out. ;)
- So... researching how things are done where your story is set becomes vital.

Nothing bothers me more than reading a story set in 'California' where everyone or even a lot of people have Anglo or Irish names,
I was born in California and have (for no particular reason of primary origin) a German name. Is that OK? Considering the history of immigration into California over the last century and a half, it seems odd to think of most any ethnic name being inappropriate to a California setting. Granted, when I have California as a setting, I try to include Hispanic characters, as appropriate. But a lot of settings there, like Hollywood, could involve just Anglo-type characters. I think you can do California--just like you could do Florida--without a Hispanic base. Michael Connelly and Sue Grafton seemed to have managed it.

Last edited:
I glance through my work emails, for a Christian name and then surnames tend be generic UK names like Williams or Jones!

I only use surnames if absolutely necessary, and it rarely is. I want the reader to feel they are on a "first name basis" with the character. Unless it's a doctor or a senator or some such, in which case I only use the surname. I try to come up with first names that remind me of the character's most important trait. For instance, a plain looking girl might be named Jane, and a dorky guy might be named Albert. I don't know if other people will make the same association or not, but it helps me to keep them straight.

Sometimes I'll get cute and use two names that go together in some external way. For instance, I'm working on a story about two geeky college students named Patrick and Stewart. ;)

So far I've used only first names, and those fairly common. Once a name is used, even in the remotest of contexts, that name is retired for good. Sometimes I'll pull a novel off the shelf and scan it for names; if I find one I like, it goes on a list for future possible use. I'm working on a story now set at a college, so have resigned myself to possibly having to come up with surnames, which they'd be referred to by the students. I may just go with first initial (Mr H.), but not sure yet. Fortunately all the students have ignored calling them anything yet, and maybe I'll get lucky and it'll stay that way.

I have no compunctions about giving antagonists the first names of people who have annoyed or mistreated me. Why write fiction if you can't make yourself smile about stuff like that? I tend to keep surnames pretty common and culturally appropriate when I use them, which I often do because that makes the characters a little more real to me. I avoid surnames of famous folks, for the most part, unless the name is very common. One of my characters might have a surname of Carter, Adams or Wilson, but not Reagan, Roosevelt or Nixon, for instance. Those could take the reader out of the moment, and that's the last thing I want!
As for other characters, I try not to repeat main characters' first names across story universes, but I am more relaxed about recycling the first names of minor characters.
I do retire particularly unusual or distinctive first names - for instance, a young woman named Layla appears in two of my stories, but that name will never appear in another unless I write a third story for her. Ditto for Miko and Kryssa - both are unusual enough that someone who's read those stories would logically conclude they were making a reappearance or cameo if I used them in a new story. But a Stacey, James, Sarah, or Mitch wouldn't raise those same expectations.

I agonize over names. I keep a list of potential names for both MC's and secondary characters. I try not to use the same name twice, so I keep a record of anything I've already used, even if they're named in stories that I haven't finished yet.

As a story progresses, I've even decided the name I picked doesn't fit the character I've created and I'll change it to something more playful or youthful, or even more serious.

I was born in California and have (for no particular reason of primary origin) a German name. . . . But a lot of settings there, like Hollywood, could involve just Anglo-type characters. I think you can do California--just like you could do Florida--without a Hispanic base.
I don't see why that would be odd. It makes my point in a sense:
where everyone or even a lot of people
What I'm talking about is the cast being monoethnic - which doesn't make sense in most metropolitan places and in some places like California, not even in rural places. I noted all Anglo names on purpose, rather than saying 'All White'. While it might be almost all Anglo in England - it's not that way in most of the USA. Even the "Whitest state in the Union" - Vermont - Is mostly French and Anglo. So a story set there should have some French names. And likely a lot of people who have French or Anglo personal names, and the opposite for a surname.

Hollywood by the way - would have people who are Asian, Latino, White, Black, and Indigenous. And within that more variety. Your White people will not just be Anglo, they will have ancestry that is also German, Jewish, Russian, Polish, Arabic, Green, Italian, Lithuanian, etc... Likewise you'd be splitting up what you find among Latin Americans, Asians, and remember Blacks will also include actual Africans, Jamaicans, Cubans, Latin Americans, English, and more. ESPECIALLY in a place like Hollywood. What you'd be hard pressed to find a gathering of people where it was all of just one. Hollywood isn't just diverse, it's even more so than most places.

Hollywood's movies on the other hand - they tend to be extremely lacking the very diversity walking by the studio every day. A diversity that DOES exist on the set, just often not in front of the camera (and when it does get in front of the camera they often just make a movies that is ONLY Asians or ONLY blacks, etc)....

Last edited:
Back