The 750 Word Project

Sounds like a lot of folks already have one ready, would an earlier submission help or hinder the process?

Hinder. If you're going to be submitting a story for the 750 Word Project, please do so on the first with the tag and note to the admin listed by Jezazz.

Despite submitting mine too early it is marked to go live on the 4th.

Despite submitting mine too early it is marked to go live on the 4th.

Yikes, I didn't read that bit about submit on the 1st. I just put mine in. A nice break and now its back to Valentines Day. Except I have to shovel some snow first. :eek: Where is that big guy when a girl needs snow shoveled??? That's what I want to know.

I've gone ahead and submitted mine as well. Looking forward to reading the others!

I've gone ahead and submitted mine as well. Looking forward to reading the others!

I'm really interested to see how other's did theirs. 750 words is about a paragraph or two for my normal stuff. I ended up only being able to hint at what the end might be. It was fun though. Especially the edit, take away three words...add three better words, etc.

I'm really interested to see how other's did theirs. 750 words is about a paragraph or two for my normal stuff. I ended up only being able to hint at what the end might be. It was fun though. Especially the edit, take away three words...add three better words, etc.

Ohhhh the editing. I went thru mine word by word. I have never before paid so much attention to whether the word was really needed or not. It was fun. And it went from indecision, boyfriend, another guy, first time sex to next date in 750 words. Wow.

I gotta say...

I'm really excited by the response to this.

Really looking forward to all that you guys have written.

I do have something in mind for another writing exercise, if you guys are game?

Ohhhh the editing. I went thru mine word by word. I have never before paid so much attention to whether the word was really needed or not. It was fun. And it went from indecision, boyfriend, another guy, first time sex to next date in 750 words. Wow.

Mine goes from accommodation to abandonment to lustful looks to accommodation to back on the road toward accommodation while providing a character study of resilience in the face of debasement. Movie at eleven. And, oh yes, it isn't GM. :)

I'm really excited by the response to this.

Really looking forward to all that you guys have written.

I do have something in mind for another writing exercise, if you guys are game?

Always and I’m sure a lot of others will be too.

750 words? I can write 15 stories within that limit. :)

Done, with two days left to polish. I'm using characters from a previous story though. Is that cheating? I think the 750 word story stands on its own; you do not need to read the earlier work. I hope so anyway. Guess we'll see.

Jezzaz, you've got me curious. Can't wait for your next challenge.

:eek: 50 word stories!!!!!! How? How? (she beats her head on the desk).

I asked the same question and banged my head the same way when they said 750 words. No way in hell. A hello takes more than that.

Thanks Ogg, Thankfully we had 750 words to play with! I read your "How To Plot" and rechecked my own entry. I think with dumb luck it might be close enough.

Beginning: It was in that moment when we realized that our words were telling the same story, just slightly different details. We had both married too young, true love is rare at twenty years of age...I lay between her legs, tenderly piercing her, consummating our love. - End

The Next Challenge

Jezzaz, you've got me curious. Can't wait for your next challenge.

Ok then. Try this.

Tell your story in one scene. Just one. No background, no context. Just done in the dialog and interaction between two (or more, if you are inclined) people.

So you've got to a) give context, b) give back story, c) explain the current situation and d) resolve it, all in one conversation between people, in one place.

No flash backs, no excerpts, just dialog (and internal thought, if you want to).

This sounds easy - and some people will think it easy, and then when they read their stuff, they'll realise how un-natural some of the dialog will be. People don't normally talk to each other deliberately recapping things both of them would already know (the start of the movie Gravity pisses me off because it does exactly that - where the George Clooney character does scene exposition that everyone would already know.)

What do you guys think?

Ok then. Try this.

Tell your story in one scene. Just one. No background, no context. Just done in the dialog and interaction between two (or more, if you are inclined) people.

So you've got to a) give context, b) give back story, c) explain the current situation and d) resolve it, all in one conversation between people, in one place.

No flash backs, no excerpts, just dialog (and internal thought, if you want to).

This sounds easy - and some people will think it easy, and then when they read their stuff, they'll realise how un-natural some of the dialog will be. People don't normally talk to each other deliberately recapping things both of them would already know (the start of the movie Gravity pisses me off because it does exactly that - where the George Clooney character does scene exposition that everyone would already know.)

What do you guys think?

Done! That’s pretty much how I wrote mine, a first encounter scene involving two people. Hopefully it will be enough to get the mind and heart racing...I know it did as much for me.

Ok then. Try this.

What do you guys think?

Done! That’s pretty much how I wrote mine, a first encounter scene involving two people. Hopefully it will be enough to get the mind and heart racing...I know it did as much for me.

I too just had the one scene which involved two people...in my mind, it lasted maybe 30 min. The new challenge of no backstory would have shot me down though (I'm assuming an internal thought of looking back would also be a no-no). That would be tough... a "first encounter" appears at first blush to be the only clear path forward, but I can sort of see through the fog that there must be other ways it could be done.

I'm beginning to get the mixed feelings that I wish jezzaz hadn't even mentioned this...and maybe I should start working on that now for the next challenge.

Question; I'm assuming that while sex may not be a requirement, it would be implied as a rather critical piece of the 'tiny story'?

What do you guys think?

You're right, it's trickier than it sounds. At first I thought my 750 word story would qualify, but it has a one paragraph setup before the main scene. None of the stories I have on deck could be told like this. If the deadline is far enough out though, I may try to come up with something.

Back