Writing a sequel v. leaving the reader wondering

SimonDoom

Kink Lord
When you receive favorable feedback to a story, do you often or sometimes write a sequel? Are you tempted to? Why or why not?

I was tempted at first, and did, but not anymore.

My erotic stories typically are set at the early stage of a character discovering some new erotic interest, kink, activity, etc. The discovery, and the personal or psychological obstacles to the discovery, are part of what make a story erotic to me. Once that process is done, I'm ready to move on to a new story rather than continuing the main character's further pursuit of his or her erotic interest. I also like ending a story with a suggestion of the continuation of the character's conduct, leaving the reader's imagination to wonder what the character will do later.

But it's interesting to see how many readers have an endless appetite for more episodes featuring the same character.

I rarely write an unplanned sequel and even more rarely because a reader has asked for more. My preferred reader would extend the action of the story themselves, as they preferred, if they wanted to at all.

I've been encouraged to, haven't yet. Some tales lend themselves to extension or delving deeper, others simply don't.

Always leave 'em wanting more.

I think it's a bad idea to extend a story unless that was what you originally had in mind, or at least, something that you're inspired by. Don't write what other people tell you to write -- unless, of course, they're paying for it.

The first time I wrote a sequel on a reader's request it turned into my lowest-rated story, and one of my least read.

On the other hand, my 2016 Valentine's Day contest entry is my most commented story, and many of the comments are just "More!" I left the story with a very open ending and it felt to me like maybe in the back of my mind I'd really wanted to extend it all along. Certainly, I had the story to write. It's worked for me.

Sometimes the voices in my head demand sequels and sometimes not. Sometimes readers demand sequels but my voices say 'meh' halfway through. Sometimes continuations naturally sprout -- that 3-part arc just expanded into 18 chapters, with spinoffs possible, ay yi yi.

Sometimes I leave a cliffhanger ending, maybe offering possible continuations and asking readers how a story should go. And maybe I listen, but not often.

I am not a production-line writer. No contracts, no payments beyond brownie points here. I consider suggestions but I only obey my voices -- if I can hear them over the tinnitus. What? Dance with a bear? I can't hear you.

When you receive favorable feedback to a story, do you often or sometimes write a sequel? Are you tempted to? Why or why not?

I did it on my first story here. It was intended to be a one-shot about a single encounter, but I got feedback asking for a continuation, and I realised "what happens the day after?" had potential for an interesting story. So it turned into a novel-length serial story.

I think it worked out pretty well for that particular story, but I was lucky that I had something which worked both as a one-shot and as a Chapter 1. With most of my other one-shots that's not the case. Usually I choose to interpret comments of "please write a sequel to this" as "I loved this story and would like to read more like it".

My Rope and Veil was intended as a one-off, but garnered such amazing feedback from its target community (people with disability - the protagonist was a woman with a broken spine and the able-bodied man who falls for her) that I wrote another two parts; one where she goes surfing, the second where the couple have a baby and then adopt another.

I have plans to write a fourth part, but I'm not ready to say goodbye to Amelia yet. Needless to say, the second two parts are in Romance, where they were extremely well received.

I typically don't write unplanned sequels. Sometimes, I don't even write sequels that I had plans for upon finishing the first. LOL

Every so often, an idea will grab hold of me and cause me to write something I didn't plan. The second chapter of "Jerk" for example. The recent "Her Flock" trilogy started out as a single story, and ended up being three.

I will, however, sometimes run with ideas suggested by fans. "Ebon Genesis" emerged from a fan suggestion. A prequel rather than a sequel, but still.

I read back through my old stuff quite often. I usually leave them in a place where everything is resolved, but with a tease for a potential sequel. Oft times, I could pound out another fuck session with the same characters, but that simply doesn't interest me. I need a hook to get invested in the story myself. It's only when that hook bites into me that sequels arise.

Sometimes the voices in my head demand sequels and sometimes not.

Yeah, I never planned to write a sequel, but sometimes my characters won't leave me alone. Every story I write starts out as a stand alone, but if a character really speaks to me, I'll write them a second stand alone story.

In one case I wrote a prequel. I'm in the process of writing another sequel now. In both cases, I tried to write the stories so that they didn't require the reader to read the previous work.

I either write a story as a complete, standalone thing, or plan and storyboard all the chapters in a series before I ever write them; I dislike the idea of writing a tacked-on sequel to a story I wrote as a standalone, because that was the story I wanted to tell, and no more; it always seems to me (and I'm probably wrong here, but that's me) that people who do that months or years after they published the original end-up somehow deconstructing their original story or characters to fit the sequel, and that jars.

I have only written one sequel in response to reader requests. In part, I felt that the initial story was me trying to work out the character. Some of the readers must have agreed. The sequel scored much better than the prequel did. (Not that you can read too much into scores. :))

I wrote my Halloween contest story with lots of room for sequels. In my mind, the setup opens itself up for endless sequels, sort of like how a TV show just keeps going and going. Considering it's score, it didn't strike much of a chord, so I'll post the sequel I have mostly written and call it done.

I believe most of my stories end with enough of a period at the end that readers are fine with it. Or maybe it's a sign that my characters aren't worthy of a sequel?

I've done it once. Those that thought I should have a sequel hated it.

That's the last time I'll do that.

I have also had readers want more of a story even where the male protag has died. Not gonna happen.

I always try and finish my stories. I mean if it says The End at the end, sorry, that all folks.

I have written two series that were planned to be multi part and one unplanned sequel. The unplanned one was a miserable little waste of time that amazingly got decent reviews and a fair amount of reads.

With my planned multi part stories, I've noticed something of a law of diminishing returns, with roughly half as many people reading part two, and half that reading part three and so on, even though part two and subsequent were better written and more highly rated stories.

Four parts seems to be the practical end of the road for me. As for unplanned sequels, I don't think I'll repeat that mistake.

I have done a couple of sequels which I did enjoy but they were more for me because it seemed to fit. On some others some have said they'd love to see a second part but I just couldn't see it. I felt it was done and that was it. If I feel there is something more to tell I'll do it. If not, I move on.

I was tempted at first, and did, but not anymore.

My erotic stories typically are set at the early stage of a character discovering some new erotic interest, kink, activity, etc. The discovery, and the personal or psychological obstacles to the discovery, are part of what make a story erotic to me. Once that process is done, I'm ready to move on to a new story rather than continuing the main character's further pursuit of his or her erotic interest. I also like ending a story with a suggestion of the continuation of the character's conduct, leaving the reader's imagination to wonder what the character will do later.

But it's interesting to see how many readers have an endless appetite for more episodes featuring the same character.
The only time I do sequels is if I personally want to write them, and think there could be more to the story.
Occasionally, I do get readers asking if I'm planning on continuing a particular story, but that doesn't actually factor into my decision to do it.

Just piling on with the others. Unless I set out to write a sequel, I don't.

There have been one or two stories where people have asked for more or a follow-up, but I don't have any plans to do so.

I have enough problems finishing the four stories (most with multiple chapters) already in the pipeline as well as a potential book (or two). Trying to go back to a previous story and do more is out of the question.

Some of my stories have definite endings.
Some deliberately have hanging endings.
Some have hooks for sequels or spinoffs.

I write what I want, if and when I want.
If a continuation feels right, then fine.
If guilt drives me to finish a series, fine.
If I don't want to bother, then fine.
I'm only paid in brownie points here.

It's easy to get into a series groove and just keep churning out chapter after chapter for a devoted audience. I only stopped the last one because 1) the cast list was getting out of control and 2) I was running out of absurdities to pile up. Them absurdities sure is fun, especially with Group Incest, especially over time. I may eventually do a Sawney Bean tale without the banditry and cannibalism. Group Incest can go wild there.

I may have to blow up the planet some day.
The only sequels will be in heaven, hell, etc.
But some readers will want a continuation.
Feh.

I have taken the attitude of 'never say never' in regards to writing a sequel. Perhaps months or years from now, I will re-read a story and be inspired to write a sequel. However, don't let reader request dictate what you write. You can get roped into writing some really crap stories that way.
In the meantime, just look at that "More, please! This needs a sequel!" feedback as praise for your work.

In my profile on the story site I have this written to hopefully inform readers of my way of doing things.

Note to readers. Many of my stories conclude in an open ended manner because that to me is more reflective of life than tying things up in a neat package as the credits roll. While it is possible I may decide to continue a story, even years later, in most cases what you see is what you get. By all means ask for a sequel if you want but the best chance of that happening is in your own imagination.

This doesn't mean I never write continuations but if I do it is because of a desire within me, not because some reader wants a story to go on forever.

As the song goes, "The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits."

Not that every ending needs to be a happy one, or that every roll of the credits needs to be the final one, or that fan service for it's own sake is inherently bad. I'd just argue that if you're going to take the time to tell a story, then tell a story: beginning, middle, end, plot, characters and their arcs, growth and change or lack thereof, etc.

Sequel or not

I have a bunch of stories that cry out for more chapters. I really have to be in the mood and think about where I'm going to take them. That's why most of them aren't complete. I sort of lost interest in them.

I go back now and then and add a few paragraphs but, my heart really isn't into it.

At some point, I'll probably go back, read the previous chapter(s) and conclude the story.

It's not bothering me leaving them undone like it once was. Too many new ideas stroll through my mind that I want to get down on paper.

I have a bunch of stories that cry out for more chapters. I really have to be in the mood and think about where I'm going to take them. That's why most of them aren't complete. I sort of lost interest in them.

I go back now and then and add a few paragraphs but, my heart really isn't into it.

At some point, I'll probably go back, read the previous chapter(s) and conclude the story.

It's not bothering me leaving them undone like it once was. Too many new ideas stroll through my mind that I want to get down on paper.

Thats very much me as well.

Back