Soundtracks Of Our Lives

T

Tallulah82

Like many Litsters, music is very important to me, and my life has always been punctuated by songs. I’ll be posting one challenge every couple of days: to post 1 song that matches the given criteria (hyperlinked if possible so others can listen to it), but also to write about WHY you’ve chosen this one. You're only allowed to post one per challenge, so choose wisely!

I’ll get the ball rolling, so let’s see how this goes!

Challenge 1. A song from your childhood.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have lots of songs cramming my mind from my childhood, especially children’s songs sung by Max Bygraves, such as ‘Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellenbogen by the Sea’. But for me, I think I really fell in love with music when I was turning 11. I heard Billy Ocean’s Suddenly on the coach radio on a school trip. I was too young to understand the lyrics but it was the melody that captivated me. I hadn’t really listened to the radio before then, it was all about the family LP’s. But that changed with this song.

I was never really into music during my childhood but my mother used to play hers and I picked some up.

This song used to be playing on the CD player a lot and I guess that when I hear it, it takes me back to when life was a lot more simple and it never fails to get your head rocking back and forth a little.

I also attempted to sing it on Karaoke one year, (I must have been 11 or 12) and I remember being laughed off as I was terrible!

Last edited:
My fondest childhood memories revolve around music. I played in a children's orchestra beginning at 11. The first song on that first program was "Onward Christian Soldier". Whenever I hear the song, whether an instrumental or vocal I feel the excitement of playing on stage for the first time. I played violin, but switched to flute in high school. I played with the group throughout high school.

https://youtu.be/NEs4Z4PM1gc

So imagine the scene ....A dinner party.
70s browns and oranges are your palette. Moulded glass and formica are the embellishments. A hideous patterned carpet is hosting the dozen feet as the gents and ladies are in full conversation - chattering about this and that.
The air thick with smoke, as this was the era where smoking was good for you.
My dad has played dirge for a few hours now. Max Bygraves, Val Donican and some top of the pops compilations have come and gone...but now he wants to sit - as the air in the highest 3 feet of the room is now toxic to him. He grabs a stack of 45s and pushes the record player on to the autostack setting.
(*note for millennials this is before the age of "shuffle"*)
The first record was his favourite and while people refilled their drinks....(he was a lousy host) he enjoyed this.
I sat on the stairs and listened....

Cool, I like this idea.

Jimi Hendrix, Foxy Lady.

Dancing with friends, laughing until we couldn't breathe. If I hear it now I still do the little ears thing. The memory brought a big smile, thanks Tallulah.

Does anyone remember the Disney animation of Hercules? I loved that film as a young kid and hearing this song always made me sing along with it. The lyrics fit my life pretty well too and I often listen to it when I need uplifting.

Thank you for joining in! Just a quick note, realising that I've not made it clear enough in the opening post: You're only allowed 1 song per challenge. The whole point of the challenge part is that you really need to reflect on all the ones that come to mind, but pinpoint that one most important out of the rest. We all have several I'm sure that could whizz us back to our youth, etc. But I'm limiting you to one. Choose wisely!

:rose:

Thank you for joining in! Just a quick note, realising that I've not made it clear enough in the opening post: You're only allowed 1 song per challenge. The whole point of the challenge part is that you really need to reflect on all the ones that come to mind, but pinpoint that one most important out of the rest. We all have several I'm sure that could whizz us back to our youth, etc. But I'm limiting you to one. Choose wisely!

7eab24a7ffce130e9f46e48b661fa81ef6a1dc320bc4c807161d4d3688d81097

BcbO4gU.gif

This is a GREAT idea! Subscribed!!!!

I'm going to go with my first thought which is Puff the Magic Dragon.

My father played a little guitar. He loved Peter, Paul and Mary (and other folk singers), and this was one that fit his voice. I can remember, it must have been maybe 1970, listing to him sing it to my sister and I (she would have been an infant). He sang it a lot, and as a kid, I learned the lyrics and would sing with him sometimes. These were good, fun times.

As I grew older...like Jackie Paper...I put the song away, and my father and I fought, like many teens. At times our relationship was very strained, as I'm sure many of you can relate to.

And then I had my own family, and I found myself singing Puff to my daughter (I don't play guitar, unfortunately), late one night. I could still remember all the lyrics because there, deep in the tracks of my memory, was my father's voice.

Last edited:

Thicko here didn't get it right. I'll stick with my first choice.

When the Tokens recorded The Lion Sleeps Tonight, I knew I wanted it. We did not have a regular phonograph at the time but up in the attic we had an old standing Victrola (hand crank to get it going. So I bought the single, and the 45 plastic insert and sat up in the attic singing along and cranking the Victrola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo

Nothing Rhymed, by Gilbert O'Sullivan. In a scenario which I suspect is very familiar to many people of a similar age to me, his songs accompanied us on interminable car journeys to holiday destinations. See also The Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel, The Seekers.

This I think was a song that I started to jump and dance around to according to Mum, but I vaguely remember.
Playing it recently, it does kind of make me want to jiggy wid it. I would have only been 4 or 5 when it was in
the UK charts
;)

Star Trekkin' - The Firm

This I think was a song that I started to jump and dance around to according to Mum, but I vaguely remember.
Playing it recently, it does kind of make me want to jiggy wid it. I would have only been 4 or 5 when it was in
the UK charts
;)

Star Trekkin' - The Firm

I remember this!!:):D

Challenge 1

Growing up, we had this great big basement that initially had just a concrete floor. The room was about 70 feet long. Close to each end, there were steel poles holding up the steel I-beams. So one of my first early music memories is skating in the basement and going fast and swinging around those poles over and over while listening to my older brother's 45s on the record player.

The ONE song that comes to mind is Last Kiss by J. Frank Wilson. They played this record so much while we all skated that I still know a lot of the words today....it's like being stuck on the Disney World ride of It's a Small World and coming out with that song stuck in your head for years.

So every time I hear this song on an oldies station, it takes me back to skating in our basement...

Well, where oh where can my baby be?
The Lord took her away from me.
She's gone to heaven, so I got to be good,
So I can see my baby when I leave this world.…

Are you two deliberately looking for a spanking?! I wanna know WHY! Fine. Ok. So, I'm going to make some assumptions here...

DS: this is your song from your childhood because your big sister once entered a talent competition, and your parents insisted that you be part of it. Not being able to sing, you ended up performing some sort of bizarre interpretive dance to this as Big Sis sang it. You came second place, only beaten by the Von Trapp choir.

Papa: this is your song from your childhood because, like many, you were entralled by the groovy dancing and tunes. You watched this film every weekend for six months solid, and still can do most of the dances from memory. But the real reason you chose this song is because you tried to grow your hair into the mullet, and it didn't quite work, so you bought the wig and made all your family call you Ren until your momma begged you to stop humiliating the family name. Good times.

(ps - papa, that video couldn't run in 'this country' - i hope it wasn't a goof or summit that I've missed out on :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
Challenge 2: A song that reminds you of your First Love

Challenge 2: a song that reminds you of your first love

Ah, first loves! My first love was everything your momma warned you against. He was quite the stereotypical leather-jacket wearing, smoking and drug taking, long-haired band member (bass guitarist). I gave my virginity to him, and well… they’re stories for another time! At one house party we attended, we were curled up on the sofa, drinking Mad Dog 20/20, and the amazing Tina Turner comes on. Hell yeah. He quietly serenaded me in my ear, to ‘Simply The Best’, and over 25 years later, I only ever think about that moment in time whenever I hear it.

Back