Your opinion: the best guitar rifts in rock and roll 60s-80s.

ToysAreUs

Literotica Guru
A local DJ is running a challenge for listeners to suggest the 'best guitar rifts' or portions of songs that YOU think are the best guitar work ... (1960's- 1980s). I think he wants "popular" short sections to use as bumper music for his new show.

I have not yet responded to the radio station with my candidates because I want to read yours first. Early Friday is the deadline.

Randy Bachman is one of my candidates because of the final minute of BTO Cut-2 Album-2 when he changes the song Welcome Home to something entirely different

Bass Guitar rifts were not mentioned ( ! ) Not fair!

Thanks for any forthcoming suggestions and I will forward all of them.

Last edited:
Bass Guitar rifts were not mentioned ( ! ) Not fair!

As a bass player myself I'm outraged at this gross injustice! Paul McCartney's bass playing talent is overshadowed by his singing/songwriting, but imho, the bass lines for "Rain" and "Drive My Car" are some of the best ever. The Who's John Entwhistle gets an honorary mention for the solo bass breaks on "My Generation."

Get yourself an extended scale 7 string, drop that fucker to G...plug it into a Dual Rectifier and rip some Sabbath, you'll fuckin' wreck everyone bro!!

Scoop the mids!! Moar GAIN! ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE GAIN BRO!! :cool:

I can't get it down to a single one, but Jeff Beck or Mark Knopfler probably played it. And not to be picky but it's called a riff.

Dave Davies You Really Got Me

Keith Richards doing double duty on bass and lead guitar for Sympathy for the Devil

Back