The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Holidays 2016 Contest Support Thread

I got a whopping 50k viewx in three days for my contest entry. That's 10k more than my oldest story which has been on Lit for over four years. And man, the I/T crowd wants their HEA even more than the Romance folks.

The first draft of my second entry is finished at about 11,500 words.

Now for the editing...

Ohhhh, I'm jealous. I'm STILL plugging away on my 2nd story weeks after I planned to have it done....

But the editing can be lengthy. I printed it off and read it last night. Half way through I had changed the heroine's name. Find and replace this morning had to make 85 changes. :eek:

I'd altered another name too. Only two wrong names. But part of the plot depends on a deliberately altered name so getting other names wrong is awkward.

Apart from the name confusion there were a few typos and a couple of small loose ends in the plot. I'll do another edit today.

There's still a few days to squeeze an entry in before the last day of 7 December.

Of course someone might complain that a late entry is cheating but if a story is stalled, or if, like me it would be the third entry - why not submit while you still can?

Yay, I got one in for this contest.

It's not the story I've been working on, but it's a stroker I had a few paragraphs to start and knocked it out in a week or so. I don't think I've had an entry for the last few contests.

Yay, I got one in for this contest.

It's not the story I've been working on, but it's a stroker I had a few paragraphs to start and knocked it out in a week or so. I don't think I've had an entry for the last few contests.

Congratulations on getting an entry in this time.

There's still a few days to squeeze an entry in before the last day of 7 December.

Of course someone might complain that a late entry is cheating but if a story is stalled, or if, like me it would be the third entry - why not submit while you still can?

It's not always a last-minute submission that's appearing as a last-minute posting. I know of one that was submitted last Thursday and hasn't posted yet.

There is an excellent chance, if I get out of here and get back to writing, that I'll have a story for this year's Winter Holidays contest.

If...

I can figure out how to get these four people to stop yakking and start doing erotic sorts of things. They seem to be awfully chatty at the moment.

I have three stalled Winter Holidays stories. With all the activity off line from now until tomorrow evening, they'll have to wait until 2017. :eek:

I have three stalled Winter Holidays stories. With all the activity off line from now until tomorrow evening, they'll have to wait until 2017. :eek:

Since this I had an idea, and wrote a very short (1400 word) story.

It's submitted.

Where does this one go?

I'm almost finished with my story for the Winter Holidays contest. Just a few more paragraphs and it will be ready. There's just one little problem.

Where does one put a story about a portal to another dimension inside a mall, a possibly shape-shifting cat and a dragon who's into bondage?

I'm almost finished with my story for the Winter Holidays contest. Just a few more paragraphs and it will be ready. There's just one little problem.

Where does one put a story about a portal to another dimension inside a mall, a possibly shape-shifting cat and a dragon who's into bondage?

Uh... scifi/fantasy and pass those drugs around. ;)

Submitted and almost 24 hours before the deadline.

*polishes nails on shirt* :cathappy:

Good for you!!!!! I'm glad someone just beat the deadline coz I've totally missed it with my second story. I'm at 75k words now and I think it wants to be a novel. I tried to tell it that it wss a short story with a deadline but it just didn't believe me. Oh well, I'm not going to spoil this one by hacking it round to get it done. Its too much fun to write. And I was up at three am trying to finish before I went to work. That didn't work to well, I just wrote more and now I'm wired on caffeine. :eek:

Last edited:

Good for you!!!!! I'm glad someone just beat the deadline coz I've totally missed it with my second story. I'm at 75k words now and I think it wants to be a novel. I tried to tell it that it wss a short story with a deadline but it just didn't believe me. Oh well, I'm not going to spoil this one by hacking it round to get it done. Its too much fun to write. And I was up at three am trying to finish before I went to work. That didn't work to well, I just wrote more and now I'm wired on caffeine. :eek:

Perhaps you should hold that thought for a little longer. I submitted it all right, but immediately after thought the category was wrong so I resubmitted it this evening with a note to Laurel to change the category. Still, though, it's hours until the deadline so I'm still buffing away.

My new entry is being bashed with low votes.

Too short? Not enough sex? It is in the Romance category.

But Anon and others don't seem to like it.

Update on my short entry.

They really don't like it! 3.21 and dropping fast. :D

Back