Another Windows 10 Rant or Fuck You Microsoft

Windows 10 Fun Facts

1) Anything useful is hidden.

2) Everything useless is available at the touch of the mouse.

3) Cortana slows it all down and you can't turn the bitch off.

4) It's constantly jabbering across the internet. M$ likes to know when you scratch your ass.

Windows 10 Fun Facts

4) It's constantly jabbering across the internet. M$ likes to know when you scratch your ass.

Wait until the next version. It won't be on your computer at all. You will only have Windblows Explorer so you can log in to use their software that you're paying for. If you don't pay, they wipe your computer and your backup drives.

Windows 10 Fun Facts

There is a way to turn that shit off. Spybot Anti-Beacon. Cut the head off the snake.

My partner's finance-work laptop (Lenovo x200) and my always-in-my-lap laptop (Lenovo X201) and desktop-replacement notebook (some old Comapq-HP thang hosting our drives) all run Win10 with few problems but for the Compaq's lethargy. I don't get for the fuss. I've been on Windoze since 2.0 and the v10 really does work the best of the lot. I've been trying for over two decades to use Linux and I have *never* gotten a clean install. Am I cursed?

Bottom line: Windoze (product of satanic Billgates) works and the rest don't. And don't get me started on Apple shit: designed by geniuses to be used by morons. (That's a quote from an early Mac review. I beta'd an early Mac. I agree.)

There is a way to turn that shit off. Spybot Anti-Beacon. Cut the head off the snake.

Thanks for the tip about Spybot Anti-Beacon. It looks at least worth running in my sandbox for awhile.

Most of Cortana's and Win 10's obnoxious behavior can be easily turned off through the settings menu, though. Go to Settings/Privacy and shut that shit off.

Be super careful with downloaded apps. Most of them are snoopy, mouthy fucks who need a ball-gag and a harness before they're of any use.
Just sayin.
R

My partner's finance-work laptop (Lenovo x200) and my always-in-my-lap laptop (Lenovo X201) and desktop-replacement notebook (some old Comapq-HP thang hosting our drives) all run Win10 with few problems but for the Compaq's lethargy. I don't get for the fuss. I've been on Windoze since 2.0 and the v10 really does work the best of the lot. I've been trying for over two decades to use Linux and I have *never* gotten a clean install. Am I cursed?

Yes, I'm afraid you have been cursed, by the Goddess C:/ (C-prompt)
Linux on a laptop is a flat nasty task.. It's easier on a desktop, especially if you can swap out the vid and sound cards for something Linux friendly. I like "Mint". It has most of the codecs you need, and plays nice with more hardware than most. But it's still no job for sissies. (no disrespect to sissies intended)
R

Yeah, Win10, not the most stellar OS MS ever put out. I can think of at least 2 others that were far superior...XP...Win7. There is a 3rd, but most won't agree with me...Win95. It was the best for its time and by far better than the piece o' crap that replaced it...W98 and ME. :eek:

I'm going to try this POS for another month, but I have a feeling I'll be ordering a copy of Win7 and just wiping the hard drive and install Win7.

And out of a billion people there are those that like something, those that hate it and those who are complacent.

Zeb, I know I'm new to this board, but I know my shit here. Going back to Win 7, unless you plan to remain offline the rest of your life, would be a huge fucking mistake. They no longer do patches or updates, and it's one of the most easily hacked or infected systems in the world.

I agree completely that Win 95 was maybe the best iteration ever, but...in those immortal words..."that was then, this is now".

Suck it up and deal with Win 10, or pony up serious cash for an I-whatever, or prepare for endless headaches and tweaks on Linux. Sorry, there is no realistic fourth option.

...Win95. It was the best for its time and by far better than the piece o' crap that replaced it...W98 and ME. :eek:
My Win95 Compaq sucked. My WinME Sony Vaio was the most stable machine I ever owned, including the current ThinkPads. YMMV.

My CV: Ignoring the early mainframes and superminis, I've been on micros for a long long time, like since 1980. We built some HeathKit systems and a couple of Sinclairs. I ran HDOS until converting to CP/M and achieving guruhood. Then came MS-DOS, which I basically understood, and Windoze, which I have lived with blindly. I grok CLIs. But *nix has always escaped me. Yes, it's a curse.

My Win95 Compaq sucked. My WinME Sony Vaio was the most stable machine I ever owned, including the current ThinkPads. YMMV.

My CV: Ignoring the early mainframes and superminis, I've been on micros for a long long time, like since 1980. We built some HeathKit systems and a couple of Sinclairs. I ran HDOS until converting to CP/M and achieving guruhood. Then came MS-DOS, which I basically understood, and Windoze, which I have lived with blindly. I grok CLIs. But *nix has always escaped me. Yes, it's a curse.

My career started in 1977 with IBM 360s. Then switched over to the new kid on the block, mini-computers. Dec, CDC, and many others. Then came the 8086, 8088, 286, 386. CP/M, MS-DOS, Windows in all it's forms back then.

Then came Macintosh. We, the company I worked for back in those days - Insurance Company(Life-I was doing actuarial programming back then), got our hands on one of the first Macs. Compared to the IBM PCs we couldn't do a damn thing with with it. With the PC I was able to program it to calculate the mortality of an insured.

Assembly 360, Fortran, Cobol, Pascal, Basic, RPG, RPG II, Pick, C, C+, C++, C#, etc. Then the GUI came along, Advanced Revelations, Simple, Powerbuilder, etc.

I have been working with PCs and Microsoft since the '80s. I have seen many wondrous thing. I have also seen many disasters. I have seen Microsoft software fuck up so bad that whole companies folded. I have also seen successes.

I'm not a neophyte to computers or Microsoft. What I do know is the last three(Yes I'm counting 8.1 as a separate release) releases of their OS have been unmitigated disasters. They spent more time on trying to learn every thing their customers were doing than in getting the OS to work correctly. Or even work.

Even Win7 has some of their spyware in it. Not as bad as 8 and 10, but some of it.

As for hackers, they can only hack you if they can see you. I will gladly post my IP for any who would like it. In fact I already have, but it changed since then. It changes all the time. So good luck seeing me tomorrow or an hour from now or ten minutes from now. Or once I click on submit.

Maybe Win 10 works for some. Even the most stable operating system in the world work for some and not others. Even Jarvis fucked up eventually and was replaced by Friday. Of course that all can be placed at Tony's doorstep.

Just as Win 8, 8.1 and 10 can be placed at Microsoft's doorstep.

Thank you. A most useful suggestion.

Thanks for the tip about Spybot Anti-Beacon. It looks at least worth running in my sandbox for awhile.

Most of Cortana's and Win 10's obnoxious behavior can be easily turned off through the settings menu, though. Go to Settings/Privacy and shut that shit off.

Be super careful with downloaded apps. Most of them are snoopy, mouthy fucks who need a ball-gag and a harness before they're of any use.
Just sayin.
R

Some help about 'turning that shit off' would be really welcome.
By PM if necessary, but I doubt I'm the only one.

We all know that this electronic snooping will net Microsoft extra income.
What baffles me is that; if my net use results in them making loads of cash, why do they charge so much for the software ?

Last edited:
Some help about 'turning that shit off' would be really welcome.
By PM if necessary, but I doubt I'm the only one.

We all know that this electronic snooping will net Microsoft extra income.
What baffles me is that; if my net use results in them making loads of cash, why do they charge so much for the software ?

Second point first. Microsoft...actually, wait. Ponder the word Microsoft. Doesn't that just scream for a cuckold humiliation story?? (not my kink, BTW, just sayin)

Anyway, back to second point first. MS got it's start when Gates and Allen basically stole CP/ DOS, gave it a polish, and released it as MS-DOS, and also bamboozled IBM into an exclusive licensing deal. Thus was a monster born. When intellectual property theft, lockouts of competing products, and insane price structure have worked for them so well for so long, why would they ever change? I don't like it worth a damn, but I try to inhabit the real world when necessary.

First point, "turning that shit off".

Go to Settings (it's the icon that looks like a transmission gear), then Privacy. Go through the sub-menus one at a time, and "turn that shit off" unless you need it. No one can tell you exactly what settings will work best for you, but you REALLY need to go through the menus thoughtfully.

For example, I let Google Maps be aware of my location, it's not much use, otherwise. Ditto with Yelp and Leafly. Skype (and only Skype) has permission to use my webcam and mic. Angry Birds, Halo, Minecraft, and Barbie's Beach Party will also want to look and hear. I advise no. Actually I advise Hell The Fuck No!!

It's tough to give specific advice about what to turn off, and what to leave on. It depends on what you're doing and how you want to do it. YMMV (your mileage may vary) is a cliché because it's true.

I hope this helps a bit, feel free to PM me for more details.
Peace,
R

I'm still suggesting a clean install of Windows 10 to get rid of whatever Acer did that poor computer. From there, tweak away to regain your privacy. I'm currently shopping for a new computer for the wife and already dreading setting it up for her.

I've nearly given up on maintaining my privacy online. Not really, but damn, it's a pain in the ass.

I've been using Win 10 for 8 months on a HP laptop.

I've had no issues so far. And it's not because that laptop is in a museum. I use it for a lot of things, software testing and gaming being two of those.

So far so good. It works just like the Win 7 Pro I had on my desktop. Once your stuff is up to date, it really shouldn't give any problem at all. The best part is the free Windows Defender with it. It's better in the Anniversary edition and much faster than before. Well, it's the best you can ask for free rather than having to buy one every goddamn year or two. Combine it with Malwarebytes and you won't be needing anything else.

The only major problem I've had was when the start menu and taskbar stopped working on me and I had no backup. Turns out I had accidentally removed a few files and their logs. Had to reinstall the whole shit.

Well, it's up and running. But after awhile it seems to forget itself. Rebooting seems to fix it for awhile. As it's really just a back up to my desktop, it's working well enough for now.

I just remembered where I saw the windows design 10 uses. Windows 3.0. Flat, all one color, cryptic shit in the titlebar, unexplained stuff just appearing above the titles.

The inability to drill down on single window to some places. To get to some files you have to open a second or third iteration of the file manager window.

Where in Win7 I can do it all in a single window. Once again MS decides how you should work, not you.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm really leaning to Win7. Wipe the disk and install it. Like I said it's a backup system to a very stable up to date Win7 Desktop.

Microsoft ended the sale of new retail copies of Windows 7 in October 2014, and the sale of new OEM licenses for Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate ended on October 31, 2014. Professional currently remains available to OEMs, primarily as part of downgrade rights for Windows 8 licenses.

OEM sales of PCs with Windows 7 Professional preinstalled ended on October 31, 2016.[95] The sale of non-Professional OEM licences was stopped on October 31, 2014.[96] Mainstream support for 7 ended on January 13, 2015. Extended support will end on January 14, 2020.[97]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

Don't fight the tide during rising sea levels. There are more important things.
Peace,
R

My career started in 1977 with IBM 360s. Then switched over to the new kid on the block, mini-computers. ...

My career started with a punch card driven IBM 1401 in 1963.

I soon ditched IBM's programming language for machine code. I needed programs to run fast and accept masses of data. A tiny amount of time saved in a program added up in a working day that ran that program tens of thousands of times. I could get processes running in the time the card read/punch machine moved from rest to the punches impacting on the card.

The downside? I hammered the card/punch machine so hard that it would catch fire in a flash-over of card dust if I didn't cool it down with a CO2 extinguisher every couple of hours.

As for hackers, they can only hack you if they can see you. I will gladly post my IP for any who would like it. In fact I already have, but it changed since then. It changes all the time. So good luck seeing me tomorrow or an hour from now or ten minutes from now.

But they DO SEE YOU!.
Even with shifting IP's and an Onion router, your shit is parked here, and at your bank, and your doctors office, and is eminently hackable. We all make (hopefully) rational decisions on security and privacy, but TOR doesn't really anonymize your IP, just makes it tougher to get. The NSA has a way (and so, probably, does a kid in Belarus or Beijing)

Keep Win 7 for a squeaky-clean air-gapped backup box, if you must. But no shit, it won't work for you well as a day-to-day OS.

I bet you one public bow-down that your plan will not pan out.
Peace,
R

I won't get into my history with computers, but I've definitely been around. I was an early user of C.

I rant against Win10 because of the privacy issues, plus I'm not a fan of the GUI. But since Snowden, Microsoft's spying has been less of a concern. It's become apparent that the NSA broke SSL and backdoored virtually every email, voice and chat system out there. If you do something that matches one of their patterns, they can watch you and see virtually anything you do online. In real time. Microsoft is just one of their feeds.

The problem with data is once someone collects it, inevitably the wrong people will get their hands on it. Management changes, politics shift, priorities realign. Stuff that might be ok today - maybe the NSA is being fairly decent in their use now - might not be ok tomorrow, with different management at the wheel.

My career started with a punch card driven IBM 1401 in 1963.

I soon ditched IBM's programming language for machine code. I needed programs to run fast and accept masses of data. A tiny amount of time saved in a program added up in a working day that ran that program tens of thousands of times. I could get processes running in the time the card read/punch machine moved from rest to the punches impacting on the card.

The downside? I hammered the card/punch machine so hard that it would catch fire in a flash-over of card dust if I didn't cool it down with a CO2 extinguisher every couple of hours.

What, you think we used terminals to code? Nope, 80 column punch cards to start, then IBM came out with the 96 column cards. Machine code = Assembly.

But they DO SEE YOU!.
Even with shifting IP's and an Onion router, your shit is parked here, and at your bank, and your doctors office, and is eminently hackable. We all make (hopefully) rational decisions on security and privacy, but TOR doesn't really anonymize your IP, just makes it tougher to get. The NSA has a way (and so, probably, does a kid in Belarus or Beijing)

Keep Win 7 for a squeaky-clean air-gapped backup box, if you must. But no shit, it won't work for you well as a day-to-day OS.

I bet you one public bow-down that your plan will not pan out.
Peace,
R

I won't get into my history with computers, but I've definitely been around. I was an early user of C.

I rant against Win10 because of the privacy issues, plus I'm not a fan of the GUI. But since Snowden, Microsoft's spying has been less of a concern. It's become apparent that the NSA broke SSL and backdoored virtually every email, voice and chat system out there. If you do something that matches one of their patterns, they can watch you and see virtually anything you do online. In real time. Microsoft is just one of their feeds.

The problem with data is once someone collects it, inevitably the wrong people will get their hands on it. Management changes, politics shift, priorities realign. Stuff that might be ok today - maybe the NSA is being fairly decent in their use now - might not be ok tomorrow, with different management at the wheel.

And there is a reason my real name doesn't show up on my computer...ever. Well not my everyday computer, hence the laptop. As for banking info, yes the bank has that and I can walk to my bank, so no need to use a computer.

As for work? I'm retired. I don't pay my bills online, etc.

As for being more or less hackable...the only secure computer is one that isn't connected to the outside. But then it's not very useful.

And there is a reason my real name doesn't show up on my computer...ever. Well not my everyday computer, hence the laptop. As for banking info, yes the bank has that and I can walk to my bank, so no need to use a computer.

Zeb, I'm not a spy or hacker, but it took me less than five minutes to find your real name and city of residence (as well as birth city), from there the bad guys can throw a party.

Just sayin,
R

ps. If I didn't know myself, I could find my own shit in five minutes. It ain't that hard.

Last edited:
Zeb, I'm not a spy or hacker, but it took me less than five minutes to find your real name and city of residence (as well as birth city), from there the bad guys can throw a party.

Just sayin,
R

ps. If I didn't know myself, I could find my own shit in five minutes. It ain't that hard.

Really. Send me a PM with what you think you have. But I will bet I never receive one.

Really. Send me a PM with what you think you have. But I will bet I never receive one.

I remember the first time someone in a forum had a signature that provided my IP and city. I was shocked. Now I wouldn't be shocked if they tweeted my dick size at 3 am.

Seriously. I wasn't even half hard in that dick pik and I only sent it to Melanoma to tease her about marrying a short-fingered orange vulgarian.

rj

Back