Free Association Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
No a complete contradiction would be: "Hello. I'm from the corporate office and I'm here to help you."

:eek:

'The total cost of the new IT system will be less than ten million - and it will deliver savings of more than twice that much in the first two years alone.'

'The total cost of the new IT system will be less than ten million - and it will deliver savings of more than twice that much in the first two years alone.'

Strangely enough, a man from the Gas Company tried to sell me a new Central Heating Boiler the other day. This one is described as "a condensing boiler" and features all manner of "green" (ie., 'good for the planet') advantages which costs less to run than my existing, non-condensing type, a decade old.
The new boiler costs over £750 (say, $1100?) but the Installation is four times that.

I don't know who the comedian is who dreamed up this nonsense, but I guess he's not on our side.

Strangely enough, a man from the Gas Company tried to sell me a new Central Heating Boiler the other day. This one is described as "a condensing boiler" and features all manner of "green" (ie., 'good for the planet') advantages which costs less to run than my existing, non-condensing type, a decade old.
The new boiler costs over £750 (say, $1100?) but the Installation is four times that.

I don't know who the comedian is who dreamed up this nonsense, but I guess he's not on our side.

Sounds like the old "Agree to be the model home for the neighborhood and you get your new aluminum siding for free" scam from back in the 1970's.

"Free" of course didn't include the shipping or delivery charges for the materials, and that little exception for some strange reason amounted to all of maybe $25 below what they charged everyone else in the neighborhood for materials and installation when they ran the "Free Shipping & Delivery" special for them.

I really think the only place marketing people get their training anymore is at The David Copperfield School of Legerdemain. :rolleyes:

And the politicians

I really think the only place marketing people get their training anymore is at The David Copperfield School of Legerdemain. :rolleyes:

Hey, what's wrong with a little leger de main? I'm quite fond of that myself... :rolleyes:

If politicians told us what they really had in mind, we'd never vote for them :rolleyes:

And the converse... if we didn't expect the wool being pulled over eyes and expect starry-eyed illusionists to lull us to sleep with their unreasonable pronouncements, perhaps we'd have more smart people running for office.

As it is, unless smarts is balanced by a huge power hunger and ego (and possibly, occasionally, a nearly pathological sense of altruism or idealism, though I'm not fully convinced), intelligent folks run as fast as they can away from political office.

Putin's sabre-rattling posturing as he lurches into another crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back