The Nerd Herd: General Board Edition

I went to 3 cons this year, I am part of a LARP mystery group, I watched more sci fi and space stuff with Byron in the last year than I ever watched on tv total oin my life. I have been on computers since 1976, and I consider myself totally normal. ;)

I went to 3 cons this year, I am part of a LARP mystery group, I watched more sci fi and space stuff with Byron in the last year than I ever watched on tv total oin my life. I have been on computers since 1976, and I consider myself totally normal. ;)

Can I count playing on the mainframes at my dad's job in 1976 as being on since then? The programmers would let me and others who showed interest play..

BASIC games
Snoopy printouts
LOVE printouts..

Though I didn't get into the real seriousness until the second day of high school in 1978.

If you like to get on Wikipedia and read for hours (like me!) I can give you links to some of the most interesting wikis -ever-!

Memory Alpha is one of the best I've seen yet. It's the Star Trek wiki, and the caretakers are fabulous! The articles are super accurate, well-written, interesting and always end up leading you to more and more articles. My husband always ends up poking fun at me for knowing so much about Star Trek whenever it comes up. :D Great for trivia fans too!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Love Star Trek and Memory Alpha! And Trek trivia is something I don't get to exercise much. But it's a lot of fun!

In other nerd news, Netflix recently released a documentary on Stephen Hawking (it's called "Hawking"). It gives a pretty close look at his life and how he has dealt with his ALS, and shows how good a sport he is about it all. Worth a watch...

You're a snotty cunt.

hyde-laughing-o.gif

Currently playing Wildstar, waiting patiently for WoW to drop the new content. Had a great time playing Dishonored and Skyrim in the past few months, as well. Last doco was Video Games: The Movie, about a month ago. Making tentative plans to fly across the ocean next year for SDCC, but will have to find a second job to finance that trip :)

Saaaaaay! :kiss:

I want your life. :eek:

Love Star Trek and Memory Alpha! And Trek trivia is something I don't get to exercise much. But it's a lot of fun!

In other nerd news, Netflix recently released a documentary on Stephen Hawking (it's called "Hawking"). It gives a pretty close look at his life and how he has dealt with his ALS, and shows how good a sport he is about it all. Worth a watch...

Speaking of ALS, has anyone seen the ALS ice bucket challenge that's taking social media by storm?

It's raised millions for ALS research. I'm constantly impressed with the power of social media.

Speaking of ALS, has anyone seen the ALS ice bucket challenge that's taking social media by storm?

It's raised millions for ALS research. I'm constantly impressed with the power of social media.

yes, it's very impressive! I lost a family member to ALS, it's a pretty evil disease.

I want your life. :eek:

My wife did it at her yoga spot, AFTER hot yoga. Said it felt good LOL

Can I count playing on the mainframes at my dad's job in 1976 as being on since then? The programmers would let me and others who showed interest play..

BASIC games
Snoopy printouts
LOVE printouts..

Though I didn't get into the real seriousness until the second day of high school in 1978.

sure why not? I was doing stuff you aren't allowed to do anymore than but hey..

you might want to skip the losing Byron so young part...

other than that my life is fairly attainable, you can do it too :D

I'm working towards that now! :D

yes, it's very impressive! I lost a family member to ALS, it's a pretty evil disease.

Damn straight it is.

My wife did it at her yoga spot, AFTER hot yoga. Said it felt good LOL

IT'S CHEATING IF SHE LIKED IT! :devil:

GAH! That show is so damn good! I DVR'ed every episode, they're AMAZING! I especially liked the optical illusions one, really trippy.

I'm searching for websites from where I can sneak a copy of the episodes (sshhh:D) now that the season is over.

Ah finally a thread where i can post geeky shit. Cosmos is great, i kinda made a physics thread recommending it, that didnt go down too well with the GB crowd :D

Playing League of legends, reading a john grisham Short story book at the moment. Thinking of getting the PS4, just waiting for them to tweak it up and release some exclusives and OFC that first price drop :p

btw i used netflix for a month, by using an addon on chrome called hola.

You should start a thread about this, and you'd have two popular threads on the front page of the GB.

Just like old times!

#TheseAreTheGoodOldDays

BASIC games
Snoopy printouts
LOVE printouts..

HA!

I played with punch cards and paper tape...

;)

... in the 60s.

BASIC games
Snoopy printouts
LOVE printouts..

Welcome to Adventure!! Would you like instructions?
y

Somewhere nearby is Colossal Cave, where others have found fortunes in treasure and gold, though it is rumored that some who enter are never seen again. Magic is said to work in the cave. I will be your eyes and hands. Direct me with commands of 1 or 2 words. I should warn you that I look at only the first five letters of each word, so you'll have to enter "northeast" as "ne" to distinguish it from "north". (Should you get stuck, type "help" for some general hints. For information on how to end your adventure, etc., type "info".)
- - -
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.

Shall we play a game?

:cool:

My daughter's phone probably has more computing power than those old IBM's had, and they were huge!

Then again, I was kinda small...

Back