Succinct feedback

I noticed that too but it assumed that it was because the ignoranuses always proudly vote '1' which brings down the score, then it goes back up when others vote their own convictions.

But it's only apocryphal evidence at this point.

Incidentally, "ignoranus" was not a typo. The word is defined as: "Someone who is stupid and also an asshole."

I guess anon read the entire story because he hated it so much. Kind of ironic. :)

The same Anon read every part of my 36-part series "Seducing Jennifer" and made stupid remarks about each and every one of them on the first day they were posted.

What does that tell you? What was it supposed to tell me?

I suggested that he might be better served to go whack off to his favorite Teletubbies tape, but nooooooo....

i love it when anon cuts right to the core.

i feel so loved. :D

oh yeah, i forgot to mention, Loving Wives. ;)

just in:

by Anonymous
06/17/14
you are a fucking idiot

the story is for shit, and your writing sucks fucktard.

Which of your stories gained such high praise Geronimo? I'd like to give it a read and see for myself whether or not your writing is somehow sucking on the fucktard. :D

Sometimes a dumb ass remark like that when seen in the feedback forum can cause people to come to check out the story.

Then your fans or people who liked the story jump on the asshat.

So....end of the day the trolls are not really having the effect they think they are.

Sometimes a dumb ass remark like that when seen in the feedback forum can cause people to come to check out the story.

Then your fans or people who liked the story jump on the asshat.

So....end of the day the trolls are not really having the effect they think they are.

That's been my theory too. Hope it holds up.

I noticed that too but it assumed that it was because the ignoranuses always proudly vote '1' which brings down the score, then it goes back up when others vote their own convictions.

But it's only apocryphal evidence at this point.

To be honest, I don't understand the voting system too well.

So we have 5 stars to vote from. 4 stars should be a darn good story, but, a story only gets the coveted fiery red 'H' when it has a 4.5 or more? 4.6?

Then I don't get it. Every time I vote 4 on a story I feel as if I am punishing the author. So, I am forced to vote 5, when I really want to vote for a good 4 or 3. That, of course, might make the author feel great, but it seriously distorts what I want to convey through my voting.

4 Stars SHOULD get an H. IMO.

Montanos

So we have 5 stars to vote from. 4 stars should be a darn good story, but, a story only gets the coveted fiery red 'H' when it has a 4.5 or more? 4.6?

Then I don't get it. Every time I vote 4 on a story I feel as if I am punishing the author. So, I am forced to vote 5, when I really want to vote for a good 4 or 3. That, of course, might make the author feel great, but it seriously distorts what I want to convey through my voting.

Montanos

i personally don't worry too much about scores or the H - the occasional W is good, though. :D

i'd rather have [honest] feedback that helps me to improve. i recently had one that pointed out a repeated word in a piece. yep, it made me grimace, but that was because it was such an elementary error i was embarrassed for myself.

still, lesson learnt. FIDO.

i personally don't worry too much about scores or the H - the occasional W is good, though. :D

i'd rather have [honest] feedback that helps me to improve. i recently had one that pointed out a repeated word in a piece. yep, it made me grimace, but that was because it was such an elementary error i was embarrassed for myself.

still, lesson learnt. FIDO.

For me, honest feedback is payment for the work I put into the submission.

Asshole comments are like a beggar slapping the sandwich you handed him out of your hand because he didn't like the brand of mayonnaise.

For me, honest feedback is payment for the work I put into the submission.

Asshole comments are like a beggar slapping the sandwich you handed him out of your hand because he didn't like the brand of mayonnaise.

hence the original post. :)

Montanos

I'm with you there, bruh.

The red 'H' comes at 4.51, I think. Hence I hate to give 4 because it negates someone else's 5. And if I can't get up more than 3 I don't vote. Someone else always loved it, no matter what flaws it had.

Seems to me that when the world was new and innocent, the red 'H' came at 4.01. I really can't remember.

Don't bother pointing out that I may be senile. I know...well, once I knew, but I seem to have forgotten.

It also seems like people used to be more generous when voting, so maybe so many submissions got the red 'H' that it became meaningless.

I'm with you there, bruh.

The red 'H' comes at 4.51, I think. Hence I hate to give 4 because it negates someone else's 5. And if I can't get up more than 3 I don't vote. Someone else always loved it, no matter what flaws it had.

Seems to me that when the world was new and innocent, the red 'H' came at 4.01. I really can't remember.

Don't bother pointing out that I may be senile. I know...well, once I knew, but I seem to have forgotten.

It also seems like people used to be more generous when voting, so maybe so many submissions got the red 'H' that it became meaningless.

the good old days, eh? ;)

Here's an idea--feel free to tell me if it sucks, or is illegal, or whatever. (I know I didn't have to say that.)

If you're 2 or 3 chapters into a multi-chapter series, how about if you appended a note to the last chapter posted such as:

"OK, readers. Here's the deal. 99% of you do not bother to vote. 99.9% of you do not bother to comment. This is the only payment I receive, and when you don't do it, it's the same as shop-lifting as far as I'm concerned.

"If you like this story and don't vote, you're letting the trolls control the voting and I'm sick of it. If you want to find out what happens next you are going to have to PM me and I'll send you the next chapter. I'm not going to post it until I find out why the voting score is so low. If I thought this was crap I wouldn't have posted it. If you disagree I want to know why. And not anonymously." :cattail:

Sounds whiny and needy to me--and like it would give a troll a pay day signal on whether/how to get you revved up if/when they saw it. Leading with a glass chin.

There is no requirement or even encouragement by the Web site for readers to give any feedback whatsoever.

you don't always get what you want....

I'm a newbie still, so I haven't reached anywhere near the level of frustration of many on this thread, nor do I have the general level of experience.

But, honestly, I don't want comments from people unless they care enough to decide they want to leave them. When I read a story, I tend not to vote badly (below a 3) unless something about the story really pisses me off (more along the lines of very sloppy writing and editing, not topic-related). Often enough I find stories that merit a 4 and occasionally a 5. But even among these latter ones, I frequently don't leave comments because the stories didn't move me enough or in such a way to have anything original to say - I could put a "good job" down on every story, but I feel I have done that with my score. I want my comment to be more than that. I'd rather leave nothing at all than leave something trite. Which I know, from the author's perspective, doesn't help or do anything for the author, but there it is....

So..do you really want all the comments you could be getting? You want only the worthwhile ones, and those will be few and far between.

Sounds whiny and needy to me--and like it would give a troll a pay day signal on whether/how to get you revved up if/when they saw it. Leading with a glass chin.

There is no requirement or even encouragement by the Web site for readers to give any feedback whatsoever.

The trolls won't get the next chapter unless they reveal themselves.

And I guess authors who insist on payment in dollars must be pretty whiny and needy too. They ought to just give their work away and depend on grateful readers to make donations.

If Laurel and Manu don't encourage feedback, why do they run contests based on voting scores?

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a newbie still, so I haven't reached anywhere near the level of frustration of many on this thread, nor do I have the general level of experience.

But, honestly, I don't want comments from people unless they care enough to decide they want to leave them. When I read a story, I tend not to vote badly (below a 3) unless something about the story really pisses me off (more along the lines of very sloppy writing and editing, not topic-related). Often enough I find stories that merit a 4 and occasionally a 5. But even among these latter ones, I frequently don't leave comments because the stories didn't move me enough or in such a way to have anything original to say - I could put a "good job" down on every story, but I feel I have done that with my score. I want my comment to be more than that. I'd rather leave nothing at all than leave something trite. Which I know, from the author's perspective, doesn't help or do anything for the author, but there it is....

So..do you really want all the comments you could be getting? You want only the worthwhile ones, and those will be few and far between.

I understand your points. I particularly agree with your statement regarding topic-related voting.

There are some topics that do not appeal to me. I don't read them. Frankly, I don't read a whole lot of submissions anyway, because I have other things to do and the small print hurts my eyes.

If I think something really sucks, I frequently don't vote. This may not be the most productive way to do things, but I hate to spoil something for someone else who may not mind horrible grammar, bad spelling, and the like.

When I see something that has potential, but the author thinks it is effective to end EVERY sentence with ! or even !!! I do politely suggest that they use those sparingly in the future. (!)

Actually I think I do want all the comments I can get. I collect the terminally ignorant ones. And I do appreciate "Thanks, I enjoyed this."

Back