MyRA

I think all we need to know about this Obama retirement plan is that the money goes into government bonds. This means the government will have your money to spend now and paid back later when you redeem your bonds. Kinda like SS, and they've all but bankrupted that. The present 2% return on bonds is quite paltry compared to other vehicles. So study carefully youngsters, this sounds like another plan to create a new government revenue stream.

Seems like my theory of JBJ being an alt of yours is not just a theory anymore. :cool:

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=989162

I think all we need to know about this Obama retirement plan is that the money goes into government bonds. This means the government will have your money to spend now and paid back later when you redeem your bonds. Kinda like SS, and they've all but bankrupted that. The present 2% return on bonds is quite paltry compared to other vehicles. So study carefully youngsters, this sounds like another plan to create a new government revenue stream.

Two points:

1. As you've intimated, if the government bond is the ONLY investment vehicle available under MyRA, that makes it substantially less attractive than almost any private sector retirement plan in the country which have multiple options reflecting individual investment objectives from aggressive to conservative.

2. Congress and the media are already questioning if the theoretical earnings under MyRA would be tax deferred. If so, that would likely involve changes in the federal tax laws that, while potentially minor, would still fall outside the President's executive authority under the Constitution.

We already have trillions invested in Treasuries, much of it in retirement plans. Why is this different? You know something Bill Gross doesn't?

Treasury bonds are very valid investments that have nothing to do with general funds or Social Security funds. And no Treasury has ever gone unpaid nor will it. What are you going on about?

It sounds like it'll grow at best on par with average inflation. Thus far it doesn't look much like a winning plan to me.

Look what he did to the GM bondholders...

:eek:

Treasury bonds are very valid investments that have nothing to do with general funds or Social Security funds. And no Treasury has ever gone unpaid nor will it. What are you going on about?

Do they beat inflation?

It sounds like it'll grow at best on par with average inflation. Thus far it doesn't look much like a winning plan to me.

Thank Gawd he didn't suggest we be allowed to put 1% of our SS into the market...

Only the rich should be protected from Fed inflation.

:nods:

Do they beat inflation?

That was not the issue under discussion, at least by me. As to your question, it remains to be seen. As I stated here last week, I exited the bond and stock markets on 1/21 after a long and fruitful run.

That was not the issue under discussion, at least by me. As to your question, it remains to be seen. As I stated here last week, I exited the bond and stock markets on 1/21 after a long and fruitful run.

In other words, they are a bad investment.

They are held so you do not lose money.

I thought you knew that...

Stocks were on a Fed-induced run, bonds and savings, not so much.

Precisely, the "secured" bondholders.

This is just a foray into what they really want to do; to take all of our 401K cash and replace it with IOUs in the same exact manner as they did SS and when that money runs out, to means-test us out of ever collecting it.

They want to control everything, birth (or not), health care (or not) and retirement (or not) depending on how well we conform to their rules.

Look at the SS trust fund financial sheet, there is no cash under assets, it's all Treasuries and governmenr paper (IOUs), unfunded liabilities that history will show cannot be re-paid.

I'll be dead by then, so you can worry about it. All I know is I have every penny that I had invested in bonds and then some.

I'll be dead by then, so you can worry about it. All I know is I have every penny that I had invested in bonds and then some.

So you did not own any GM...

:shrug:

That is why we are in such a poor position. People in Washington act in the name of now and the next election, everything else is fuck you, I'll be dead.

That is what the Millennials are finally beginning to wake up to.

I have a child, so I think about what she will inherit.

We did not rescue her from China to become China.

So you did not own any GM...

:shrug:

That is why we are in such a poor position. People in Washington act in the name of now and the next election, everything else is fuck you, I'll be dead.

That is what the Millennials are finally beginning to wake up to.

I have a child, so I think about what she will inherit.

We did not rescue her from China to become China.

Each generation is presented with a unique set of challenges and they can choose how to respond. My generation did many things well, and fucked many things up. This is pretty much how the world operates. I am an optimist because life is more enjoyable in that mode.

Back