Last Daughter of Krypton: Legion OOC

Okay.

Wyld, did you have anyone in particular in mind?

I'm half-tempted to bring in Ayla just 'cause I think she's the bee's knees. (And then some.)

But if you prefer it's "Vi" directly gets the message? (Did you want to get the signal pickup?)

As always with LDoK threads, I kind of picture this as a TV show in my head.

That being the case, the opening sequence, the one in my head, very "Smallville"-esque (natch) uses The Phantom Zone in the backdrop, and there's sweeping 360-degree panning shots, big arty zooms that switch between slow-mo and high-speed mid-shot, "Matrix" style, showing our array of characters one-by-one against this backdrop of blistering black sands and blue sunlight and crackling angry lightning...

They're standing in Hell but they're standing strong and they're standing tall and "Long Live The Legion" and "Let's Go, Legionnaires..."

Capes and long hair whipping in the wind, where applicable.

And this song is playing.

Linkin Park - "New Divide"

I remembered black skies, the lightning all around me
I remembered each flash as time began to blur
Like a startling sign that fate had finally found me
And your voice was all I heard that I get what I deserve

So give me reason to prove me wrong, to wash this memory clean
Let the floods cross the distance in your eyes
Give me reason to fill this hole, connect the space between
Let it be enough to reach the truth that lies across this new divide

There was nothing in sight but memories left abandoned
There was nowhere to hide, the ashes fell like snow
And the ground caved in between where we were standing

Let the floods cross the distance in your eyes across this new divide

In every loss, in every lie, in every truth that you'd deny
And each regret and each goodbye was a mistake too great to hide

Let the floods cross the distance in your eyes
Give me reason to fill this hole, connect the space between
Let it be enough to reach the truth that lies across this new divide
Across this new divide, across this new divide

It's funny that you chose that song.

I was about to post it as a song for J'onn and Liz.

I knew it would fit in, somewhere.

It's funny that you chose that song.

I was about to post it as a song for J'onn and Liz.

I knew it would fit in, somewhere.

Me being me and getting apeshit carried away with things, I was totally picturing Liz taking on The Fatal Five by herself, burning with green green righteous indignation. Not really that great for an ensemble story, gotta keep that lone gunman crap to a minimum, I know it really wouldn't fit, but still, it was fun to imagine.

And the sequence started with AFI's "Prelude 12/21," the intial face-off, and then when the stuff hit the thing, that's when "New Divide" kicked in.

And the imagining of the titles sequence was born out of that.

:: grins :: Can I suggest, though?

As a theme specifically for Liz and J'onn? I know we both dig "Blow Me Away" by Breaking Benjamin...

Me being me and getting apeshit carried away with things, I was totally picturing Liz taking on The Fatal Five by herself, burning with green green righteous indignation. Not really that great for an ensemble story, gotta keep that lone gunman crap to a minimum, I know it really wouldn't fit, but still, it was fun to imagine.

And the sequence started with AFI's "Prelude 12/21," the intial face-off, and then when the stuff hit the thing, that's when "New Divide" kicked in.

As a theme specifically for Liz and J'onn? I know we both dig "Blow Me Away" by Breaking Benjamin...

I'd almost put money on the Eye of Ekron taking a Lantern down:).

I'd almost put money on the Eye of Ekron taking a Lantern down:).

Yeah.

They're very similar. I used to have a theory that the Eyes were formed out of Starheart energy. (One could even wonder that when Alan Scott lost an eye, maybe that eye became The Eye of Ekron.)

But then I guess they've revealed there's a beastie called Ekron and these are its eyes, go figure.

But they're very much like Lantern Rings, and with a strong enough weilder...

Yeah.

I agree that out of The Five, the Empress is the biggest threat to a ringbearer.

Still. Projecting a psionic barrier cage around The Empress could (could) disrupt her link to The Eye, and then a Ring-construct cricket bat to bash The Eye as far away as possible before The Empress inevitably re-establishes contact...

(I am a very silly person to think of such things.)

Absolutely!

Yeah.

They're very similar. I used to have a theory that the Eyes were formed out of Starheart energy. (One could even wonder that when Alan Scott lost an eye, maybe that eye became The Eye of Ekron.)

But then I guess they've revealed there's a beastie called Ekron and these are its eyes, go figure.

But they're very much like Lantern Rings, and with a strong enough weilder...

Yeah.

I agree that out of The Five, the Empress is the biggest threat to a ringbearer.

Still. Projecting a psionic barrier cage around The Empress could (could) disrupt her link to The Eye, and then a Ring-construct cricket bat to bash The Eye as far away as possible before The Empress inevitably re-establishes contact...

(I am a very silly person to think of such things.)

I've wondered if the Starheart might not be related to the Eye of Ekron as well. And to my knowledge they never really say where the eye came from. It could be the Starheart for all we know.

But honestly I see the Emress as making a Lantern's life very very difficult, but in the end as a distraction for the Persuader to get close enough to start carving.

Always wondered how a power ring would fare against the Atomic axe.

I've wondered if the Starheart might not be related to the Eye of Ekron as well. And to my knowledge they never really say where the eye came from. It could be the Starheart for all we know.

But honestly I see the Emress as making a Lantern's life very very difficult, but in the end as a distraction for the Persuader to get close enough to start carving.

Always wondered how a power ring would fare against the Atomic axe.

Not well.

If that Axe can cut through hypertime, a Ring's constructs wouldn't stand a chance. And the Ring itself, that would be cake. And a Lantern's limbs, easily severed.

(Though good, really good Lanterns can operate the Ring at a distance, no physical contact required, cutting off their hand wouldn't stop them. Not Hal, not Kyle, and I suspect not Liz.)

The trick would be a) to attempt disarming The Persuader through ferromagnetism or telekinesis, either of which could be generated by the Ring, separating the axe-man from the axe; or failing that b) to parry the man's blows by targeting the axe handle rather than the axe head. Clamps and quarterstaves, preventing the axe from making contact but without trying to block the axe and its ability to sever even atoms from atoms, and having accomplished that c) hit the man himself as hard as possible, hard enough to take down even his high-grav native self.

I think in "52," the Eyes are said to be from an entity called Ekron. Lobo gets ahold of one of them.

But that doesn't have to be canonical here, obviously. If the Eye is Starheart-derived, then it's magic-based, which becomes a problem for Daxamites and Kryptonian hybrids...

Not well.

If that Axe can cut through hypertime, a Ring's constructs wouldn't stand a chance. And the Ring itself, that would be cake. And a Lantern's limbs, easily severed.

(Though good, really good Lanterns can operate the Ring at a distance, no physical contact required, cutting off their hand wouldn't stop them. Not Hal, not Kyle, and I suspect not Liz.)

The trick would be a) to attempt disarming The Persuader through ferromagnetism or telekinesis, either of which could be generated by the Ring, separating the axe-man from the axe; or failing that b) to parry the man's blows by targeting the axe handle rather than the axe head. Clamps and quarterstaves, preventing the axe from making contact but without trying to block the axe and its ability to sever even atoms from atoms, and having accomplished that c) hit the man himself as hard as possible, hard enough to take down even his high-grav native self.

I think in "52," the Eyes are said to be from an entity called Ekron. Lobo gets ahold of one of them.

But that doesn't have to be canonical here, obviously. If the Eye is Starheart-derived, then it's magic-based, which becomes a problem for Daxamites and Kryptonian hybrids...

But not for Martians....

Not well.

True on all points of the persuader fight.

Didn't follow 52 really.

The eye has always been a problem for Kryptonians. It has been stated many many time that it can exude the same radiation as kryptonite. But magic might make it a bit over the top.

But not for Martians....

Really?

:: pauses ::

:: thinks that over ::

...but didn't J'onn say to Chloe in Bruce Wayne's kitchen way back when, when she was doubting magic's existence, that his Martian metabolism was as vulnerable to magic as would be Zod's Kryptonian-ness?

Or maybe he's overcome that weakness in the intervening thousand years. (Yeah, that makes sense...)

True on all points of the persuader fight.

Didn't follow 52 really.

The eye has always been a problem for Kryptonians. It has been stated many many time that it can exude the same radiation as kryptonite. But magic might make it a bit over the top.

Okay.

So maybe it's not magic-based in this version... (I know it was magic in "Superboy's Legion," but hey, Elseworld.)

But if it's capable of everything a GL Ring can do, yes, absolutely, it can generate K-rads.

(By the way, as sadistic as it sounds to say, using Dev's body as an unstoppable projectile was a stroke of sprocking genius, and I am proud to know you.)

Okay.

So maybe it's not magic-based in this version... (I know it was magic in "Superboy's Legion," but hey, Elseworld.)

But if it's capable of everything a GL Ring can do, yes, absolutely, it can generate K-rads.

(By the way, as sadistic as it sounds to say, using Dev's body as an unstoppable projectile was a stroke of sprocking genius, and I am proud to know you.)

I kind of thought it was appropriate:).

that Axe is almost a Halberd (if it's anything like the axe on that episode of Smallville)
you get inside it's reach, & he's NOT having a good day!

(Kyle would be a nightmare for that guy. Been fighting mele combat for about 10,000 years, lots of times with things with more than 2 arms, & tails.)

Back