Squirrel Appreciation Day

Boxlicker101

Licker of Boxes
Squirrel Appreciation Day was Jan. 21. Did anybody do anything to celebrate the occasion?

Only a squirrel will run 3/4 of the way across a road, sit up and look at the oncoming traffic, then run back to the side of the road it just left only to get flattened by a car. That’s almost as dumb as a bat taking a shit upside down in a dark cave.🌷Kant

Meh, they're ok, but not as good eating as rabbits.

Only a squirrel will run 3/4 of the way across a road, sit up and look at the oncoming traffic, then run back to the side of the road it just left only to get flattened by a car. That’s almost as dumb as a bat taking a shit upside down in a dark cave.🌷Kant

As SilverGurl can attest "bat shit crazy" really means something. :D;)

The trick to skinning a squirrel is to finish before the blowflies lay eggs in it. :)

Squirrel Appreciation Day was Jan. 21. Did anybody do anything to celebrate the occasion?

I might have taken a shot at one...

I'm still taming down this year's crop for better hunting.
Once they get used to the back door opening and ignore it,

;)

they start going down. I appreciate that. Good, cheap eats for the dogs.

My job as a kid was to hold the squirrel by it's hind legs while dad would skin and gut it, until I learned how. A couple nails driven into a tree to hook the tendons over worked just as good. Mind not to open the intestines with the tip of the knife. Trim off the scent glands. Don't get the fur all over.

There is an owl in a nearby oak tree that thinks almost everyday is squirrel appreciation day. I have made no effort to convince it otherwise.

Meh, they're ok, but not as good eating as rabbits.

I've found it depends on what they are eating. A big ol' Grey squirrel in Oklahoma feeding on pecans and hickory nuts taste pretty damned good. Here we have the Douglas Squirrel. They aren't very big to begin with and feed exclusively on fir cones. A bite of one of those is like taking a big mouth full of turpentine.

Comshaw

Back