Cover Song Better Than The Original

Name a song that was covered better than the original artist performed it. I’ll start with:

Baby, Now That I Found You, originally by The Foundations, covered by Alison Krauss.

Girls Just Want To Have Fun

Cover:
by Cyndi Lauper

Original:
by Robert Hazard
I didn’t know Robert Hazard had another song besides Escalator of Life. I do like the band’s New Wave style, but Hazard’s vocals certainly pale to Lauper’s.

I prefer Elton John’s versions of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds and Pinball Wizard to the originals

I didn’t know Robert Hazard had another song besides Escalator of Life. I do like the band’s New Wave style, but Hazard’s vocals certainly pale to Lauper’s.

I prefer Elton John’s versions of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds and Pinball Wizard to the originals
But William Shatners version of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds > all other versions! Right? RIGHT?

Some of Bruce Springteen’s live ‘Purple Rain’ tributes to Prince, after his passing, were epic!
In my opinion, better than the original

Beatles version of Twist and Shout better than the Isley Brothers (you could say that about most of their covers)

Bangles version of Hazy Shade of Winter better imho than Simon & Garfunkel’s

Totally agree about "Pinball ...", but not sure about "Lucy ...".

I prefer Guns & Roses' version of "Live And Let Die" to the Wings original.

I joked about William Shatner earlier, but I seriously love his cover of Pulp's Common People. With some help from Joe Jackson and Ben Folds.

Johnny cash singing hurt, originally by Nine Inch Nails

Trent Reznor when asked about the Johnny cash cover :-

Two weeks went by. Then I got a CD in the post. I listened to it and it was very strange. It was this other person inhabiting my most personal song.

"I'd known where I was when I wrote it. I know what I was thinking about. I know how I felt. Hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend. It felt invasive."

Last edited:
Back