comments protocol

New author here, just posted second work. I have read here for ages, but only just started writing. I have noticed comments in the past but never really participated. Now that I am posting, it has suddenly become relevant to me! (typical right?) I would like comments to help me develop as a writer but I am not sure if its a good idea to try and solicit them. Saying "comments welcome" at the end of the story, or maybe starting by writing a comment of that nature in the comments section. As has been mentioned in this forum many times, this isn't facebook or twitter and I understand that. Maybe I should just chill and let it go. I do use an editor so I am not totally solo.

New author here, just posted second work. I have read here for ages, but only just started writing. I have noticed comments in the past but never really participated. Now that I am posting, it has suddenly become relevant to me! (typical right?) I would like comments to help me develop as a writer but I am not sure if its a good idea to try and solicit them. Saying "comments welcome" at the end of the story, or maybe starting by writing a comment of that nature in the comments section. As has been mentioned in this forum many times, this isn't facebook or twitter and I understand that. Maybe I should just chill and let it go. I do use an editor so I am not totally solo.
I don't see anything wrong with soliciting feedback, either in comments or e-mail. If the story is already published, posting a comment to this effect would not be an issue and might even stand out more for others to emulate.

I've solicited voting and commenting ( explicitly saying ONCE on voting because fans can be a little too eager to "help you out" with multiple votes that just get erased if you don't put that down in stone ) on virtually everything for years.

Just be aware that most of the comments are either going to be variations of "loved it!" or "hated it!" without much constructive value. The nuggets of valuable commentary are even fewer and farther between than the comments themselves.

If you disallow anonymous comments in your story, you'll get far fewer of them, but the "quality" of them will, on the whole be higher, meaning they'll be more considered and nuanced, as opposed to "liked it/disliked it/yor sik/got me wet"

There is no protocol here for comments. Try what you like.

I think I’ve explicitly asked for comments on every story I’ve written. If someone will leave me a comment, I take that to mean I succeeded in getting them to connect with my characters. I also enjoy the feedback, and even the hated it comments display a connection to the story. I mean if someone didn’t care, why would they rip me a new one because of what I did in the story?

Caveat, I don’t publish in LW.

I've only solicited comments on one story. It was an experimental piece, and I wanted some feedback on it.

Many of the comments I probably would have gotten anyway due to the nature of the story.

The rest of my stories, the comments are whatever people readers decided to post.

Beware of comments from trolls, especially in the LW category. There are kinkshamers out there with too much time on their hands who will criticize and rate your story negatively just for kicks. I asked for "constructive or positive feedback" a lot in my early writing days. Now I just remind readers feedback is appreciated in the intro and leave it at that. Most readers don't comment, go with the good.

One guideline I will give on soliciting feedback is not to require it to keep writing. I mentioned in my intro for "I Want You" that I had several stories I was thinking about for detailing my character Lisa's past and future, asking readers which one they liked best. A moderator rejected the story for requiring feedback. I had to reply that it was overzealous encouragement, not demand, and reword the intro for publishing approval. This site drives me crazy with its unwritten standards sometimes. Haven't gotten a suggestion from readers on what direction to go, either, so it was overall a mistake. I'm left with muses, as usual. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with you on letting it all go. I’m still new at this myself I just posted my 10th story a couple days ago. I’m starting to read into what these people are trying to comment about. A lot of them are really fighting with their own emotions they took from the story and lashing out. Not really at your works but they’re own feelings. But when they do that kudos because you’ve actually brought the reader into your story and they experienced through your works.

New author here too. But, not a new artist.

My honest thought is, lots of people like to comment because it makes them feel powerful. They put things on there because they lack to ability to write.

Fun fact: I got a comment telling me that I should change the way one of my character's bodies looked because they didn't feel it was realistic.

My immediate reaction was five thoughts:
1. Nobody asked you.
2. Uh... not sure what people you have been with, but this is very common.
3. Nobody asked you.
4. If you want to write a story off what you see as your reality, please have at it.
5. Nobody asked you.

Before I wrote, I was a professional photographer and videographer. We have entered into a time when people don't separate themselves from other people. For all intents and purposes, people believe they are the character on the TV or that they are the author that wrote the story. But they aren't, and the fact that Lit allows anonymous posting just encourages people. It's also batshit crazy to me.

In closing, I will share with you some great advice I got from a song.

"The second you start making music for the fans... you're fucked." Make the art you like, and people will find it.

Back