Challenge to America's Data Collection on American Citizens And How It Might Change

Rightguide

Prof Triggernometry
For those interested in the lawful/unlawful collection of intelligence on American Citizens and the unmasking of those citizens might be interested in John Solomon's latest article:

President Obama's team sought NSA intel on thousands of Americans during the 2016 election
by John Solomon

May 4, 2017
WATCH | The Obama administration distributed thousands of intelligence reports with the unredacted names of U.S. residents during the 2016 election.

During his final year in office, President Obama's team significantly expanded efforts to search National Security Agency intercepts for information about Americans, distributing thousands of intelligence reports across government with the unredacted names of U.S. residents during the midst of a divisive 2016 presidential election.

The data, made available this week by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, provides the clearest evidence to date of how information accidentally collected by the NSA overseas about Americans was subsequently searched and disseminated after President Obama loosened privacy protections to make such sharing easier in 2011 in the name of national security. A court affirmed his order.

The revelations are particularly sensitive since the NSA is legally forbidden from directly spying on Americans and its authority to conduct warrantless searches on foreigners is up for renewal in Congress later this year. And it comes as lawmakers investigate President Trump's own claims that his privacy was violated by his predecessor during the 2016 election.

In all, government officials conducted 30,355 searches in 2016 seeking information about Americans in NSA intercept metadata, which include telephone numbers and email addresses. The activity amounted to a 27.5 percent increase over the prior year and more than triple the 9,500 such searches that occurred in 2013, the first year such data was kept.

The government in 2016 also scoured the actual contents of NSA intercepted calls and emails for 5,288 Americans, an increase of 13 percent over the prior year and a massive spike from the 198 names searched in 2013.

Rest here:
http://circa.com/politics/president...ousands-of-americans-during-the-2016-election

In addition, since Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. codified in 50 U.S. Code § 1881a - Procedures for targeting certain persons outside the United States other than United States persons is up for renewal in Congress this September I've included an Amicus Curiae brief submitted to the FISC addressing the concerns of overreach that may violate the Fourth Amendment and suggestions for revisions to amend the procedures to further the safeguarding of Fourth Amendment protections. You can view or download the just released and declassified brief here, some information is redacted but overall it may be of interest to a few here so occupied with concern for preventing government overreach:

https://www.aclu.org/foia-document/brief-fisc-amicus-curiae-amy-jeffress

So if I understand the cut and paste... Obama made the info available to other intelligence agencies and Trump's DNI made it available to the public?

I see I have a couple of trolls. This thread is directed at those who have a real interest in the upcoming renewal hearings for Section 702. I provided the John Solomon article because it provides the context needed to understand the scope of the issue and because he and Sara Carter are on the leading edge of this story.

Those not interested or only interested in attacking or fantasizing about me will not be engaged.

privacy_opinions.png

Back