Breaking the ice...?

I have too! I just haven't figured out quite the right formula for it yet.

Green Sauce is a dish of which there are a lot of variations in existence, but of course the best one is the one native to my home region of Germany. ;) It consists of six different herbs, sour cream (or sometimes yogurt for a lighter version) and a number of other flavoring ingredients like lemon juice. The sauce is served cold, over warm potatoes.

It's difficult to recreate in the US because I haven't yet been able to find four of the six herbs in question, so I've had to substitute and experiment heavily.


I'm not usually a huge fan of Pop Idol, but I got into the current season since I'm able to watch it online (though they always divulge on the main page who's going to be leaving before I get a chance to find out for myself :mad:). It's just like a little bit of home for me.

Damn, that sounds good. Hmmm, yanno, Jen, my local nursery has a really large herb collection of things that simply aren't found in stores. Which ones can't you find here? I'll bet you that a few phone calls to the local garden stores and a couple of big pots in the windowsill would cure the shortage.
 
sounds very good, but I too am curious about the missing herbs?
 
Thank God for the search function on internet fora! Here's the cilantro pesto recipe that the late, beloved Alison posted for me. Rise though the Light, my dearest one. We know that you and Colin are waiting for us where the visibility is always a hundred feet and the water is always warm.

Alison’s Cilantro Pesto


The pesto
1 1/2 cups of fresh cilantro, Firm Packed
1/2 cup of parsley, firmly packed
1/2 cup of parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup of vegetable Oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cloves Garlic
1/4 cup Pine Nuts, 1 oz

Place all ingredients in food processor workbowl fitted with steel blade or in a blender container; cover and process until well blended. Makes about 1 1/4 cups Pesto. Servings: 4

The fish? well the trick is to have good sized pieces of bacon and stitch the whole thing up with wooden skewers until its cooked
 
Thank God for the search function on internet fora! Here's the cilantro pesto recipe that the late, beloved Alison posted for me. Rise though the Light, my dearest one. We know that you and Colin are waiting for us where the visibility is always a hundred feet and the water is always warm.

Alison’s Cilantro Pesto


The pesto
1 1/2 cups of fresh cilantro, Firm Packed
1/2 cup of parsley, firmly packed
1/2 cup of parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup of vegetable Oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cloves Garlic
1/4 cup Pine Nuts, 1 oz

Place all ingredients in food processor workbowl fitted with steel blade or in a blender container; cover and process until well blended. Makes about 1 1/4 cups Pesto. Servings: 4

The fish? well the trick is to have good sized pieces of bacon and stitch the whole thing up with wooden skewers until its cooked

That's not a bad mix at all. But try adding some basil and sage (in place of the cilantro) and replacing the parmesan with pecorino. ;) That's a good mix, too.
 
That's not a bad mix at all. But try adding some basil and sage (in place of the cilantro) and replacing the parmesan with pecorino. ;) That's a good mix, too.

Will, that's a classic Pesto al la Milanese. This one is specifically designed for fish, particularly calamari friti. I first ran into it in San Felipe, at the Baja del Mar restaurant in the hotel of the same name. Awesome, just awesome. when washed down properly with a couple of bottles of Negro Modelo.
 
Damn, that sounds good. Hmmm, yanno, Jen, my local nursery has a really large herb collection of things that simply aren't found in stores. Which ones can't you find here? I'll bet you that a few phone calls to the local garden stores and a couple of big pots in the windowsill would cure the shortage.

The herbs that go into Green Sauce are Chives, Parsley (those two are the easy ones), Borage, Chervil, Cress, Sorrel and Salad Burnet (the hard-to-find ones). If you could find them at all, I'd :heart: you forever.
 
Will, that's a classic Pesto al la Milanese. This one is specifically designed for fish, particularly calamari friti. I first ran into it in San Felipe, at the Baja del Mar restaurant in the hotel of the same name. Awesome, just awesome. when washed down properly with a couple of bottles of Negro Modelo.

I can appreciate a good Mexican beer (no, Corona and Tecate don't count).

Didn't know that pesto recipe was already out there (but I'm not surprised). I was monkeying around one evening and mixed something similar, and use it now and then. I can be a fair cook when I try. Just ask Secret how she likes my Mixed Peppers Relish.
 
The herbs that go into Green Sauce are Chives, Parsley (those two are the easy ones), Borage, Chervil, Cress, Sorrel and Salad Burnet (the hard-to-find ones). If you could find them at all, I'd :heart: you forever.

Have you looked into ordering them online?
 
Everything but the Salad Burnett should be readily available at a plant store. That last one is unfamiliar but if you PM me a reminder, I'll check when I get back from NC. I've got all Thursday off to go look . I know that most of them are available in sets. For seeds . . . I'll have to research. I'm headed for bed now but this is a new and interesting challenge. Gotta do something to pique the old interest, yanno.
 
I always wonder why people in loving, commited relationships come here to announce and display their wares.
 
Welcome. :):rose:

*******

I always wonder why people who don't post stories here and don't like anyone here and have no wish to socialize come here to display their asses. :rolleyes:
 
Welcome. :):rose:

*******

I always wonder why people who don't post stories here and don't like anyone here and have no wish to socialize come here to display their asses. :rolleyes:

'Cause this is where the cool kids hang out. :cool:

Welcome, PaperAutumn, to the AH. :rose:
 
Evening, Autumn. Stop by the Naked Party some time. ;)

Oh, and when you meet Betsy (Safe_Bet), she'll try to get you to post full frontal nude pics.

By all means, indulge her. :devil:

Gawd, you make me sound like a perv or sumthin. All I want to do is to make sure that Autumn feels welcomed. However, as a sistah, if she would rather PM me some action shots I will make sure that they are properly *ahem* appreciated.

sounds very good, but I too am curious about the missing herbs?

Ganja?
 
SAFE_BET reminds me of the people who hang-out at the grocery store trying to get you to sample their sausage & cheese spread as you walk thru the door.
 
I'll add my welcome to the AH.

(And if you want to indulge in some naked cycling, then I'm your man)
 
Gawd, you make me sound like a perv or sumthin. All I want to do is to make sure that Autumn feels welcomed. However, as a sistah, if she would rather PM me some action shots I will make sure that they are properly *ahem* appreciated.



Ganja?

Ganjas good, but we were talking bout jens sauce recipe
 
Suddenly lots of noobs around here. Not that it's a bad thing. :)

Welcome to the AH, PaperAutumn. As I've told the others, make sure you wear your waders, you don't wanna step in the troll and monkey poo.

Other than that, kick back, relax and enjoy yourself. We're a fun bunch of people.
 
Back
Top