Advice: stories that overlap in time

Writer61

Englishman abroad
I have two story ideas in my head for the series Adam in Public. Let's call them A and B; each has two parts so A1 and A2, B1 and B2. All are separated by a few months. Chronologically B1 falls between A1 and A2. There is no significant connection between stories A & B other than the MMC and his proclivity for being naked in public. It is just him and the calendar.

Constraints:
  • There is not much I can do to change the timeline to remove the overlap (although I am still pondering how I might do this).
  • None of the parts would work well as separate pieces.
  • Combining all into one story would be confusing.
  • People are likely to read A before B.
Options as I see them:
  • Make backward references from B to A only (i.e. nothing in A2 that relates to B1).
  • Completely ignore the overlap.
What would you do? Is there another way?

Last edited:
I have two story ideas in my head for the series Adam in Public. Let's call them A and B; each has two parts so A1 and A2, B1 and B2. All are separated by a few months. Chronologically B1 falls between A1 and A2. There is no significant connection between stories A & B other than the MMC and his proclivity for being naked in public. It is just him and the calendar.

Constraints:
  • There is not much I can do to change the timeline to remove the overlap (although I am still pondering how I might do this).
  • None of the parts would work well as separate pieces.
But you say there's no connection between the two stories, so why is that a constraint? You've said they're two separate, unconnected stories, with the same character. So: two stories.
  • Combining all into one story would be confusing.
  • People are likely to read A before B.
Options as I see them:
  • Make backward references from B to A only (i.e. nothing in A2 that relates to B1).
  • Completely ignore the overlap.
Completely ignore the overlap, since you've established there's no connection, they're separate.
What would you do? Is there another way?

I'd stop over-thinking and get on and write them both. If, when you've done that, you find they are connected after all, the structure will logically present itself.

Sounds like a case where planning and outlining just causes confusion.

Write the stories, then sort it out!

p.s. I'm a pantser writer, so this would never happen to me!

Completely ignore the overlap, since you've established there's no connection, they're separate.
I agree with this.
Sounds like a case where planning and outlining just causes confusion.
Never!

I have something similar going on at the moment. I produced a draft of a Loving Wives story recently which had the following structure:
Part 1: The discovery of cheating.
Short interlude: The signing of the divorce papers.
Part 2: Conclusion at the wife's second marriage.

Now, in part 2 I decided to mention a new love interest for the ex-husband although one who doesn't do much except turn up, say hi, confirm that the MC has a future, and then disappear off.

However, I soon after started to write another story featuring the ex-husband and new loves first date. This is a BDSM story though and the theme was, what happens when someone who has been in a dom/sub relationship with just one person for twenty years suddently has to switch to a complete new and inexperienced partner. This is a very different theme from the first story which is about dealing with the pain of breakups.

The point is though, neither of the stories rely on each other. All that is important for the first story is that he's met someone new. All that is important for the second story is that he's recently divorced.

So two seperate stories they remain. It sounds like yours are probably similar.

I agree with this.

Never!

I have something similar going on at the moment. I produced a draft of a Loving Wives story recently which had the following structure:
Part 1: The discovery of cheating.
Short interlude: The signing of the divorce papers.
Part 2: Conclusion at the wife's second marriage.

Now, in part 2 I decided to mention a new love interest for the ex-husband although one who doesn't do much except turn up, say hi, confirm that the MC has a future, and then disappear off.

However, I soon after started to write another story featuring the ex-husband and new loves first date. This is a BDSM story though and the theme was, what happens when someone who has been in a dom/sub relationship with just one person for twenty years suddently has to switch to a complete new and inexperienced partner. This is a very different theme from the first story which is about dealing with the pain of breakups.

The point is though, neither of the stories rely on each other. All that is important for the first story is that he's met someone new. All that is important for the second story is that he's recently divorced.

So two seperate stories they remain. It sounds like yours are probably similar.
Planning is ideal, but there are some plots that generate prequels and sequels like kudzu. The Nora Meara stories number about seventeen, and many of them overlap in that some of the same events are described from her POV and also (the older submissions) her boyfriend's POV. It's a bit of a mess, but I never knew that a single stand-alone story would evolve into that. If you already have most of it worked out, that should help. You can finagle (manage) some overlap if you tell the readers what you're doing. A lot of them have short attention-spans anyway.

This sounds like one of those things that nobody but the creator is ever going to notice.

If one of your very loyal readers does end up with a wall full of red string, mapping timelines between stories, you'll be doing extremely well-- having that dedicated fan club. If they also confess that they have a full body pillow with your picture on it and send you "trophies" in the mail, be flattered! Don't change your address and move across the country.

I wouldn't worry about it. (y)

But in all seriousness, I doubt anyone will notice, and if they do, you'll be fortunate to have someone love your work that much.

I'm a little confused about the extent of the connection. If there's "no significant connection," why the concern? So I would just ignore the overlap; if anything I'd maybe drop a couple stray references so close readers might see a connection - those can be satisfying when done well (i.e. subtly) - but everyone else will just blissfully read on without seeing anything out of the ordinary.

I'm a little confused about the extent of the connection. If there's "no significant connection," why the concern? So I would just ignore the overlap; if anything I'd maybe drop a couple stray references so close readers might see a connection - those can be satisfying when done well (i.e. subtly) - but everyone else will just blissfully read on without seeing anything out of the ordinary.
I think it is my mind working linearly.

Sounds like two separate stories. But you could always put a reference to the other story in, as a reward for your fans.

I have some rather tangled timelines between stories. No-one's noticed.

Two separate stories/series. If they share an MC, name them as such so people know they are in the same "universe". E.G "Adam in Public" and "Adam in The City" or whatever the other story is. Put any necessary backstory in each independently. Maybe in A2, a very brief mention of something about B1 as just a thing that Adam did recently, same with B2 referencing A2.

I think it is my mind working linearly.
I enjoy it when authors reference their characters, settings, and stories from other stories. If it helps build your world and enhance the effect of the stories, go for it. You can reference unpublished future stories if you want. It worked for William Faulkner.

Back