8th grade students.

*Lining up the rum shots for you*

Wish i had the patience. I was lifeguard for an outdoor pool for the summer, and when the little brats annoyed me, I would push them in the water as I walked past. They thought it was a game.

Grade 8 here is the start of high school. After lording it up in grade 7 in primary school, you went to a new school where the kids were twice the size of you and you were bottom of the fish pond again!
 
I've taught in every U.S. grade from kindergarten through 12th. Middle school is the worst. They seem to undergo a personality transplant the summer between 7th and 8th grades, and become hideous little monsters for a couple years. Then it starts to even out a bit round about 10th grade, and by graduation they're almost tolerable again.

Sarah, you have my sympathy. I have a daughter who's finishing up 8th grade this year. I can't imagine tolerating a classful of them; I'm ready to strangle her most days. (I'm working with 3rd-5th graders right now. They're still mostly cute, except for the kid who looks me square in the eye every time I give him a direction and tells me he doesn't have to do what anyone says.)
 
Middle school is such a fucked up age to teach.

Being the parent of an 8th grader, it's a fucked up age to raise. My hats off to all you teachers who have many of these hormone infested creatures for most of your day.

BTW, ours is now having a D in Math for not turning in work. His reasoning? Because the teacher didn't tell him it had to be turned in. :eek:
 
Last edited:
only four more weeks here - 21 school days.

I'm dealing with a lovesick almost-nine-year-old. It's cute, but I'm beyond tired of hearing how perfect Stephanie is.
 
I've been appointed the in-house detention teacher. Oh, joy.

Tomorrow I have two sixth-grade boys who aren't allowed on the class canoe trip. Those two are going to be with me in the classroom "buried in busy work and knee deep in misery." It should be a fun day.
 
My Revised Goals

Instead of trying to keep from killing one or two of the sixth grade darlings, my new goal is to keep one or two of them alive through the month of May.
 
My sixth graders are bearable but there are some fourth graders coming up who make retirement more and more attractive.
 
My sixth graders are bearable but there are some fourth graders coming up who make retirement more and more attractive.
The current first graders have had the label of "one of those classes" since the second week of kindergarten. The rest of them coming up the pike are a pretty good bunch.
 
Boy, you have it light. Eighth grades are not as bad as grade sevens. Or at least that was my experience in, how we Albertans call it, junior high.
 
Can you give me a clue about how old the "grades" are ?

Rough approximation:

Grade Age
..1....... 7
..2....... 8
..3....... 9
..4....... 10
..5....... 11
..6....... 12
..7....... 13
..8....... 14
..9....... 15
..10...... 16
..11...... 17
..12...... 18


 


Rough approximation:

Grade Age
..1....... 7
..2....... 8
..3....... 9
..4....... 10
..5....... 11
..6....... 12
..7....... 13
..8....... 14
..9....... 15
..10...... 16
..11...... 17
..12...... 18




Thank you, kindly.
I often teach grades 7-10 twice a week in the evenings.
Fortunately for me, they are all volunteers and seem to enjoy it.
Oh Lucky me!
 
Middle child is in 8th grade. I do believe I'm lucky. He's quite human most of the time.
 


Rough approximation:

Grade Age
..1....... 7
..2....... 8
..3....... 9
..4....... 10
..5....... 11
..6....... 12
..7....... 13
..8....... 14
..9....... 15
..10...... 16
..11...... 17
..12...... 18



for me and youngest son, both, the ages were a year younger than what you have listed.

In both our cases, our birthdays are in the summer so we both started and ended first grade at age six, and so on.
 
The spouse taught middle school history for one year...they gave him the middle school coach of the year award - he also taught middle school girl's gym and coached the middle school and high school girl's softball teams - and then he left. He lasted one more year in teaching. His definition of a middle school child is quite simple...someone who does something like drop a book to see if it will get your attention. Then they drop it again to make sure they have your attention. Then they drop it a third time to see just how angry you might get. The a fourth time, just to make sure you're really angry and not just trying to actually teach something...

He now deals with adults who, at least metaphorically, do the same thing...

Dealing with adults pays better, and he gets most nights and weekends to himself.
 
Back
Top