Writing Exercise

A while ago I started a thread on story ideas, looking for inspiration. I remembered a writing exercise where someone provides a list of words and the author has to come up with a story using those words. This is the story I came up with: Robbed Her, Rocked Her

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to try again. Maybe some other authors would want to join me in the attempt. It would be interesting to see how diverse a selection of stories can be created from a similar list of words.

Any interest?

EDIT: Since there was enough interest, we started a chain story, the publishing schedule and links to the published stories are below:

2/24 - only_more_so
2/28 - EHawkins
3/4 - Trombonus
3/8 - scriptordelecto
3/12 - Vermilion
3/16 - Sexxy Vixen

Last edited:
Alright, it sounds like there is some interest in trying the experiment. I would propose a few guidelines for the stories (open for debate at this point, but will get frozen when the word list is revealed).

1) should be acceptable for Literotica publication (at least 500 words, no underage sex, etc.) which makes it open for a possible non-sex entry

2) should be of reasonable length (I'm thinking upper limit of 5000 words, although maybe it should be 2500 for more of a challenge)

3) time limit for completion (anyone object to 1 week? more/less?)

4) use of each of the 15? list word, but verbs may be tensed, nouns pluraled, etc.

Hrmmm... I guess those would be the basic guidelines. I have some other fancy thoughts that could add twists, such as starting everyone with the same suitably vague title like "The Set", but I think those can wait until we see how well this time through goes.

If I can find my dictionary, I can pick the words (they really should be as random as possible), perhaps publishing a list tomorrow night (to give time for hammering out the guideline details). sound good?

only_more_so said:
Alright, it sounds like there is some interest in trying the experiment. I would propose a few guidelines for the stories (open for debate at this point, but will get frozen when the word list is revealed).

1) should be acceptable for Literotica publication (at least 500 words, no underage sex, etc.) which makes it open for a possible non-sex entry

2) should be of reasonable length (I'm thinking upper limit of 5000 words, although maybe it should be 2500 for more of a challenge)

4) use of each of the 15? list word, but verbs may be tensed, nouns pluraled, etc.

Hrmmm... I guess those would be the basic guidelines. I have some other fancy thoughts that could add twists, such as starting everyone with the same suitably vague title like "The Set", but I think those can wait until we see how well this time through goes.

If I can find my dictionary, I can pick the words (they really should be as random as possible), perhaps publishing a list tomorrow night (to give time for hammering out the guideline details). sound good?

I'm game for all of the above. This really sounds like a lot of fun.

Could this be considered a chain story under Lit's guidelines since we're all working together (especially if we all title it the same)? Just a thought. :)

lipsofanangel said:
I'm game for all of the above. This really sounds like a lot of fun.

Could this be considered a chain story under Lit's guidelines since we're all working together (especially if we all title it the same)? Just a thought. :)

I was thinking about that. I suppose it would definately help people who are in the survivor contest if it did!

only_more_so said:

Have everyone PM you a word today, and then select your favorite ten?

only_more_so said:

Just for the record, the minimum Literotica submission is 750 words, not 500.

Submission Guidelines

4. We do not currently accept submissions under 750 words.

Last edited:
only_more_so said:

Okay--sounds pretty good.
750+ words in a week or so sounds doable ;)

I like TheeGoatPig's PMing of words idea :D

Last edited:
TheeGoatPig said:
Have everyone PM you a word today, and then select your favorite ten?

Well, there aren't 10 people signed up yet. But maybe there are some lurkers who want to get in on the writing.

How about this, everyone who wants to be an author, submits 2 words in ranked order. I'll take at least one word from each author's list (preferably the top). Anyone else who wants to play, but maybe can't get something written in time, can submit a single word. The single words and the author's backup words will go into a pool from which I'll pick the rest of the words for the story.

It sounds like everyone is good with the 1 week limit and the size constraint (my bad about the minimum length) of 750-5000. I looked at the definition of a chain story, and I don't think this would qualify sense the stories are not going to have any continuity between them (aside from the words).

So with that being said, I expect to start getting PM's of words soon. The words shouldn't be obviously sexual/literotical, ridiculously common or rare, proper nouns, etc.

From the PM's I receive before 9PM ET/6PM PT, I'll select the word list and post it in this thread. Then next friday or saturday I'll start a clean thread for people to post their stories. All submissions should be in by midnight ET next Sunday.

Does that sound good to everyone?

Only just seen this thread, but I'm in. Could we have 10 days rather than a week? I'm a bit pushed this week...
x
V

only_more_so said:
Well, there aren't 10 people signed up yet. But maybe there are some lurkers who want to get in on the writing.

How about this, everyone who wants to be an author, submits 2 words in ranked order. I'll take at least one word from each author's list (preferably the top). Anyone else who wants to play, but maybe can't get something written in time, can submit a single word. The single words and the author's backup words will go into a pool from which I'll pick the rest of the words for the story.

It sounds like everyone is good with the 1 week limit and the size constraint (my bad about the minimum length) of 750-5000. I looked at the definition of a chain story, and I don't think this would qualify sense the stories are not going to have any continuity between them (aside from the words).

So with that being said, I expect to start getting PM's of words soon. The words shouldn't be obviously sexual/literotical, ridiculously common or rare, proper nouns, etc.

From the PM's I receive before 9PM ET/6PM PT, I'll select the word list and post it in this thread. Then next friday or saturday I'll start a clean thread for people to post their stories. All submissions should be in by midnight ET next Sunday.

Does that sound good to everyone?

Ps- think the title and words in common ought to qualify it for a chain story as I understand it... what does anyone else think?

I'll donate words, but I have FOUR stories that I am slogging through, and I'm hoping to write that metered story as well, and I seriously doubt that I'll meet any deadlines of any sort this month... *le sigh of self pity*

Vermilion said:
Ps- think the title and words in common ought to qualify it for a chain story as I understand it... what does anyone else think?

Well, the title isn't definate, but if people like the idea then include that in the PM, and if there is enough going for it, then I'll include that (also include a possible and suitably vague title, otherwise I'll go with "The Set" since I like how vague, yet full of possibilities it is).

The chain story sounds like each one has to pick up where the other left off, I believe it actually uses those words. But I am cool with giving it a try.

As for the week limit. Try to get it in on time, but I don't think anyone will pitch a fit if you post a couple days late (just like no one will pitch a fit if the story goes a bit over 5000 words). This is a fun exercise, not a contest, afterall.

Back