The Curse and the Traveler's

RedHairedandFriendly

Too much red on Red?
From the OOC

A lonely girl sits on the beach, the air caressing her skin. She ponders walking in and never coming back, to reach the island that she sees so far away has always been her wish. Now after many years she has begun to dream of the island. She knows no one else can see it out there, everyone laughed at her years ago when she first pointed it out to her parents. They could not see it. She realized this months later, so she kept her island to herself.

Another year goes by and her island is still there, she is now 18 and longs to travel. Her family never leaves their little beach town, but she wishes to. She only wants to go to one place.... her island. So she sits and waits. Unsure of what will get her there, but knowing something will. She tried a boat once, but she never got closer to the island, it was as if it moved further away or she just never moved.

She is now 23 and sits on her beach staring out into the ocean. The sun sits low and the moon begins its rise up into the sky. It appears different to her, brighter and larger. The wind stirs up the sand beside her and she feels a heavy presence weighing down on her. A voice on the wind carries itself to her thoughts. "Do you think it is time?" she hears the voice say and then another voice joins in. "Yes she is ready."

She feels her eyes close and her body slide to the sand. Her mind and her soul fall into a deep sleep. She doesn't feel the hands lift her up and cradle her close, nor does she feel the warm breath against her head or the strong chest holding her close.

"I have loved her forever."

"I know but you have been patient. Soon you will know her and she you."

The figures were never seen by anyone here in this world, and the girl was removed from everyone's memory as if she never existed in this time or place. They moved across the water skimming slowly towards the island that they had watched her from for so many years. They never made a footprint on the sand as they walked into the dense forest. The elder one waved his hand and the island was no longer there, but had become a room of rich colors and beautiful silk and lace.

"You must let her rest."

"But I long to hold her, she is more beautiful then I had ever imagined."

"You must let her rest. She is here now and soon you will know her, but she will have many questions, and she will be frightened to awaken with a strange man in her room."

"Ahh brother, you know that I am not a typical man. She will never have reason to fear me."

He laid her on the bed and pressed a kiss to her hair, "Sleep my love and dream of a world where all have awaited your arrival."

~~~+~~~

Serena Blackmoor had grown up along side the two heirs to the thrown, she had enjoyed being educated with them and learning to ride along side them. Though she was the daughter of the seamstress and the smithy she was not treated as many of her station were. The people in the castle had seen the atrocities that servants of her class went through in many worlds, and Serena was thankful for the kindness that had been bestowed upon her and others like her.

She still had her parents, though she did not see them often. They were often traveling with others, looking for new people to bring to the castle. The curse had lasted several generations, and since no one could travel into their cursed land, outsiders were often brought in. No one was taken under threat or physical harm, most were taken gently, and only if their lives would not be missed on their planets.

Thoughts of all the different races of humans that had lived on her planet crowded her mind. It was rare for anyone that was taken to be sent back, or that they even wanted to go back, but it did sometimes happen, with the exception of one type of person. Sighing Serene thought of the chosen ones she had heard about as a child.

Chosen ones were not allowed to go back, no matter how badly they wanted to. Chosen ones were just what the name implied. Chosen. They were picked because something, some power, some thought, something... had singled to a royal that they may be the one to lift the curse. So far after several generations of the royal family, the ones that had been picked had not been the correct chosen ones. So they remained in the castle choosing to learn to love their mate and their people or chosing to despise them.

Most learned to love, or they fell in love and happy heirs were born and generations continued. No matter how unhappy a chosen one was, an heir was produced even if it had to be forced upon them. Serena hoped that would not be the case. She had watched this girl grow into a woman, experiencing things the same as Serene had. They were very alike in age, but not in demeanor. She wondered if she was the chosen one or not, Serene could only hope.

She looked out through the stained glass window. Lifting the silver latch, she pushed the window open. The gentle breeze pushed in on her, closing her eyes she could smell the ocean. They were there now, gathering the Chosen One in their arms and bringing her here to this room. Serena smelled the air and enjoyed its intoxicating fragrance. Her mind locked it away, storing it with all the other new and interesting fragrances she enjoyed.

Turning away from the window, she readied the room for the Princes arrivals and the new Princess. The bowl of washing water rested on the table, along with soaps of different scents as well as clothes to wash and dry herself with. The silver handled brushes and combs lied upon the lace covering, along with the small hand mirror. The large floor mirror, stood sparkling in the sunlight. Serena checked the bed, and gave it her silent nod of approval. Then opened the closet and made sure all the Lady's gowns would in readiness, the slippers that matched each one, as well as the jewels she would wear on the day of her wedding.

Serena felt the change in the temperature outside and she ran to the window. The smells had changed, now they were the ones of her planet. She turned as she felt the presence of the two Princes. Her eyes went to the sleeping beauty in the eldest arms. Watching them lay her upon the bed, she saw the kiss placed on her forehead and the words of care and devotion uttered from the eldest lips. Even Serena could feel the power from the woman, “She is the one, isn't she?”

They both turned to her and nodded, then left quietly. Serena sat on the small window seat that overlooked her shrouded and veiled home. “I hope they have the right woman, for I long to see the fairy folk I have heard so much about.”

~~~~~~
Please PM or post any comments or questions at this link
OOC: The Curse and the Traveler's Thank you from all the writers... and we hope you enjoy!

Her island. She stared at it forever it seemed. At least for as long as she could remember. She imagined the people that lived there, what they did during their days, what they were like, if they were happy or sad. She made up stories for her island and she longed to visit and see if she'd come anywhere near the reality. She knew she probably hadn't; after all she'd imagined a type of fairy tale kingdom with servants, and royalty and castles, and this was the modern world.

There were times when she wondered if she wasn't perhaps a little mad. No one else seemed to see her island and she'd been laughed at when she tried to point it out to the other children so long ago. Even if she was a little crazy she didn't think that seeing an island no one else saw was that sort of thing they sent you away for when you were otherwise sane. So she sat and watched, and dreamed of her island.

Today her longing was particularly strong and the view of her island seemed clearer somehow, as if it was coming into focus at last. She wondered if this time she'd be able to reach it in her little boat! It's night but that doesn't matter...before she can rise though the wind kicks up and she feels as if something is weighing her down. She thinks she hears voices saying she's ready - ready for what??? - before blackness claims her.

The first thing she realizes when she wakes up is that she must still be dreaming. Nothing around her is famliar and while she can still smell the ocean she smells other things as well. Things that have no place in her world. The strongest was a variety of scents nearby seem to be coming from an array of soaps and perfume bottles. She can smell other things though, things the breeze brings in through the window and it is more the abscence of certain scents that makes her thing she is still dreaming. There's no scent, or sound, of cars or trucks, and none of the sulfurous scent that alwasy clung to the air fromt he nearby factory. The sounds are different too, it's peaceful as if she were in the country somewhere.

How long she just layed quietly taking in the difference that her ears and nose could bring her she didn't know but at last she sat up and truly looked around the room she was in. It was then that she spotted the other woman in the room. She was pretty and looked friendly and Skylar took that to mean this would be a nice dream. The kind you didn't want to wake up from. So she decided to go with it.

"Hello," she said gently hoping not to frighten the dream girl, "I'm Skylar, could you tell me where I am...and who you are please?"

Serena smiled at her, “She is lovely.” She thought to herself. Rising to her feet, she gathered her dress in her fingers and curtsied low. “Welcome your Highness, my name is Serena, I will be your servant... a ladies maid, I believe that is what you call one of my ilk.”

She moved closer to the woman, “I'm sure you would like to wash and then dress before you meet your betrothed.” Serena turned away and moved to the basin that housed the water, she pointed out the soaps and the items that were readily available for her use.

Her eyes had failed to notice the woman's surprise at being called Highness, as she moved over to the large walk-in closest. Opening the large doors, a wealth of colors sparkled and shimmered in the lighting. “These will fit you perfectly as you will see.” She admired the stitching, then commented, “My mother stitched them, she is very talented, you will like her. She and my father are traveler's they are searching for a mate for me, just as the Prince found you.”

Serena rattled on, not allowing the young woman to speak, she often did this when she met someone new or she was excited over something or scared. Reaching into the closet she pulled out a large chest. “In here you'll find many different things, you'll need for your wedding. The vi el and gown are at the bottom, but don't worry they won't be crushed there is a shelf that rests above them, and I of course will have it pressed before that wedding, your coronation gown is in the wardrobe again, something you won't need for a while.”

Pulling yet more things from the box, she opened a treasure trove of jewels, “These you may wear whenever you wish. They have been handed down from every chosen one before you. In this box,” Serena said as she pulled another from the chest, “you'll find your wedding jewels. The crown rests within the walls of the treasury room, unless you wish to see it now... do you?”

It was at this point that Serena blushed, “I'm sorry... I tend to... talk a lot.” Looking up she saw the woman looking at her as if she had suddenly sprouted the nose of a troll or the wings of a fairy, “Miss... Your Highness, what is wrong?”

Skylar blinked as the woman started talking. Highness? Had she just called her Highness? Why would she do that? And what was all this she wa talking about with dressed and jewels, and chosen ones? What on earth was a chosen one? Chosen for what? There was something in there about a Prince too if she wasn't mistaken. Good lord this was some dream!

On the heels of that thought she suddenly pinched her arm and had to bite back a yelp because it had hurt like hell!

Watching Serena move around the room she knew the look on her face was one of disbelief and incredulity. She didn't understand half of what she was saying. Oh the words made sense of course but she couldn't seem to see how they would apply to her. And what was this bit about Travelers and looking for people.

“Miss... Your Highness, what is wrong?”

She hadn't been hearing things, this woman had called her Highness, like she was royalty or something. She couldn't help it, the thought made her laugh but it was a slightly high pitched, close to hysterical, sort of laugh. She could see the worry that flashed through the other womans eyes at the sound and so she took a moment to draw a few deep breaths and calm herself before she answered her.

"I would say that possibly everything is wrong. You're going to have to explain what you're talking about Serena. What on earth is a chosen one, why you keep calling me "your Highness", where I am, how I got here, and better yet why I am here? And please just call me Skylar, or Skye for short."

She paused for a moment trying to think if there was anything else she should ask but she thought that covered the pertinent points for now and she could always ask more questions later if she needed to. Shifting to sit more confortably on the bed she reached up and twisted her flaming mane of red curls into a loose bun that she secured by actually tying it in a sort of knot. It wouldn't hold long if she moved but it would do for now while she waited for her answers.

Serena looked at the young woman, “I'm sorry, you must truly be confused, I have never served a chosen one before, so I of course, just launched into everything at once and I can only ask for your forgiveness.”

She stood up from her place on the floor, and walked to the young woman, “I'm Serena, in case during my rambling I failed to mention that, and I'm your servant, though I truly hate the title, I do enjoy lady's maid, or lady in waiting... though what I'm waiting for I can not hazard a guess, though perhaps it means I'm waiting for you, and in that case, wouldn't that make us all ladies in waiting, except for the men, then they would be men in waiting.” Serena looked at her charge again, “I'm sorry, I do that sometimes, you'll get used to it, the Princes have, of course they have had years to know me. I was always underfoot, pestering them, and teasing them, as they got older I... oh... forgive me again.”

Taking the cold hand in hers she led her to the window seat and sat down next to her, “I can only call you Skye if you in turn call me Serena, though when in the presence of the Royal family I must and will try to remember to call you something more formal, or the glaring eyes of the twins will be upon me, they are always trying to reign me in, but I shalt not be, I am a handful.”

Looking out at their surroundings Serena pointed out the things below them, “Over there is the stables and once you have met everyone I'm sure your betrothed will take you to them, if you so desire, and over there is the mill and to its left the smithy. My father is the smithy, did I mention that? Well, he is but he is away, looking to find my mate, silly parents, I won't marry, but they don't hear me when I say that. His apprentice is there now.”

Serena continued pointing things out, the milk barn, the chicken house, the wells, “We have three!” Then her face took on a somber look, “See far off into the distance? That is why you are here, your to lift the mist and reunite our worlds.” She stood up and turned back towards the room, “Please don't ask me more, I can not tell you... it isn't my place.”

Good lord but this woman rambled! Skylar supposed she was right and that she'd get used to it but it was hard to follow her train of thought. What was this about a Royal Family? And just how was she supposed to lift the strange fog that Serena had pointed out? The woman had certainly given her a lot more question than she had answered for her. At least now she knew a little bit about her companion though. She was the daughter of a seamstress and the smithy and her parents were off hunting up a husband for her even though she didn't want to marry.

It was a start.

Staring out the window for a few more minutes she realized that the world around her was much like she'd pictured her island to be. Mostly calm and tranquil and like something out of a fairy tale. Sighing softly she tore her gaze from the view outside and looked between Serena and the room around her.

"Ummmm, listen, Serena, where I'm from I tend to do things for myself but those dresses look awefully tricky to get into. There don't happen to just be some jeans and maybe a blouse I could slip into would there?"

She knew the question was a silly one as soon as she saw the look on the girls face.

"Guess not. O.k. then um, would you mind stepping outside while I clean up a bit and then you can help me into one of those," she said as she looked skeptically at the dresses in the closet. They looked expensive and well made and she was certain she'd ruin them but if that was what she had to wear to find someone who could give her answers than so be it.

Serena sighed in relief, “Wonderful, I'm glad your all set to get dressed. As far as the things you talked about, I have heard of them, we just don't like keeping foreign things around,” Pointing to what Skye was wearing now she said, “and those things... will be burned later.”

Walking towards the door, she opened it then looked back, “You know the dresses are easy to put on and all, here let me show you.” She moved back to the closet and picked out two, bringing them to the bed, she laid them gently upon it. “This green one, buttons from the waist up to the top. It is sleeveless as you can tell, but has this lovely cinched in jacket, mom really enjoyed making this piece. And this one you can slide into and if you chose one of these styles you call me and I'll button up the back.”

“You have matching slippers and as I said before jewels as well, don't forget to call for me when your ready, and I'll do up your hair, then find you something to eat, I'm sure your hungry and if not I can take you on a tour of the palace, perhaps we'll run into your betrothed and his brother, you'll like them they are a handful.”

She practically skipped with excitement as she headed back to the door, “I'll just be right out here if you need me, ok!” Closing the door behind her, Serene leaned against the wall opposite of it. She wondered what dress the lady would chose, thoughts ran through her head at how beautiful she would look and how the twins would just gasp in envy over her. Oh they were in for a treat, she would never find enough time to tease them now, they would be constantly demanding her attention, but since Skye was intended for the elder, perhaps, she would have to torment poor Maximillian.

Serena talked so quickly that Skylar was hard pressed to keep up but she thought sure she'd caught the fact that her clothes were to be burned somewhere amidst the explanation of the dresses. Before she could really react the other woman was out the door. Burn her clothes?! Like bloody hell! Who did these people think they were? First she was kidnapped and she could only surmise being held against her will, and now they wanted to burn her clothes as well?! These were her favorite jeans and if she caught anyone so much as touching them she'd rip their hands off!

Feeling mildly better after the rant that ran through her mind she drew a deep breath and set about washing herself. She had to admit the soap was very sweet smelling and the gown were pretty...they just weren't her. Well she'd talk to whoever was in charge here and surely things could be worked out.

On the heels of that thought however she suddenly remembered something else that Serena had said and dropped the perfume bottle she was holding. She barely heard it shatter on the floor and stepped over the shards without even looking or caring if one drove into the bottom of her foot. Flinging open the door she looked and grabbed Serena before the girl could react. Not even realizing that she was half undressed and had no shirt or jeans but only her bra and panties she dropped her hands to her hips and glared violet fire at the other woman.

"Tell me I heard you wrong. Tell me you didn't say someone around here was supposed to be my betrothed!"

Serena's eyes grew huge in her face, “Miss Your Highness... I'm sorry.” She dropped to her knees, her eyes down cast as she spoke. “I did show you the jewels and the gowns, if they aren't to your liking we can change them honest, it will take time, but mother is an excellent seamstress and father though he is a smithy, knows how to design intricate patterns for the jewelers to set stones in.”

Fear shook her, if the twins found out she had all ready displeased the chosen one, then they would be furious with her. They had never hurt her, but she knew that this was as close to an act of treason. Skye was the chosen one, she had angered her and she knew that she could be severely punished. She had seen worlds were then servants were killed for such disrespect.

Keeping her eyes on the floor she continued to speak, hoping that her words did not anger the woman. “I can only beg your forgiveness... I did mention your betrothed, but I showed you your wedding jewels and I told you of the gown and the treasury room that we kept the crowns in. And I told you about the Princes and I mentioned that my mother made your gown and that you were the chosen one and you never said anything about not being betrothed... Ohhhh NOOOO.... you are betrothed all ready, they have taken you from your intended.”

Rising to her feet, her eyes now full of anger, “That isn't right! I will have their ears for this, they can't take a chosen one from her love. That is wrong, you have every right to be angry, how dare they!!!”

“You stay here, and I'll go find those... those..... royal asses!!!”

Serena left the hall and stormed off, leaving Skye alone, angry and quite possibly confused.

Skye's anger grew when Serena seems suddenly afraid of her. Granted she had yelled at the girl but she hadn't meant for her to take it personally! When Serena suddenly became angry on her behalf she had to blink and before she could say anything the other woman was out the door!

"Shit!" Sky hissed to herself. "Now what the hell am I supposed to do?"

Noticing the dresses laid out on the bed still she grabbed the one that Serena had said didn't need to be buttoned and managed to slide it over her head. She didn't bother taking the time to look for the matching slippers or jewelry but she couldn't help but stare in the mirror for a moment just the same. The shade of violet in the gown was almost a perfect match for her eyes and it did cling to the firm swell of her breasts and the gentle flare of her hips as if it was made for her.

Serena's mother was the cleverest seamstress in the world, as far as Skye could tell.

The thought of Serena's mother snapped her out of admiring the dress and she ran into the hall barefoot and with her fiery mane of curls flying behind here. Remembering the direction she'd seen Serena head off in she ran down the hall hollering for her.

"Serena! Serena damnit I don't know this place so stop and holler back! We need to talk!"

She realized she was no longer angry at the situation but worried for Serena. She didn't really know the woman yet but she seemed kind hearted and she didn't want her getting into trouble on her behalf. She certainly didn't want her getting into trouble for something she had convinced herself of and not given Skylar time to refute.

"Damnit Serena where the hell are you?!"

David bit his lower lip as he saw her coming down the hallway. She was everything he had ever hoped for, everything he had ever dreamed of. Fantasies, visions, his crude drawings, all of them showed her in detail, and yet they still did not do her justice. Here she stood, tall and proud, elegant, slim, her curved body fitted around the dress that just wrapped he in velvet.

David waited but a moment, only pausing long enough to take in her scent before he put his arm around her, leaned in close, and kissed her on the lips. He knew it was wrong, and a maid down the hall who caught them dropped the dirty linens and went running to spread gossip, but athtat moment it didn't feel wrong. As their lips touched, as he felt her for the first time under him, it didn't feel wrong at all.

He broke the kiss, moving away, bowing to the chosen one, "My name is David. I am Prince of this land, and I've been waiting for you all my life. I..."

And then he heard it, someone coming from down the hall. Coming and yelling. David bit his lower lip, looking at the empty hallway as if a dragon were on the other end.

"Come with me," He held out his hand to her, beginning to run down the hallway. He only stopped to look at her, his eyes pleading urgency.

"Come, please. I want to show you something..."

Skye nearly ran into the man because she was so focused on looking for Serena that she just didn't see anyone else. When he pulled her in close and kissed her it shocked her so much she simply went still and let it happen. Who the hell was this guy?! When he bowed to her - people needed to stop doing that! - it was even more surreal than the kiss had been. This was turning into the strangest day of her life and for a moment she was too scattered to remember she was angry.

Then she realized he'd introduced himself as the Prince...and said he'd been waiting for her all his life. On the heels of that thought she heard Serena's voice calling from down the hall and grinned wickedly when the Prince all the sudden seemed ready to bolt. It was priceless and she wished she had a camera.

"Come, please. I want to show you something..."

It was hard to stay angry when he looked desperate to get away and so she nodded and followed him down the hall. If she was going to spend her time around here running she was never wearing the slippers she'd seen in the closet except when she absolutly had to. Still the stone floor was a bit cold on her bare feet and she would have gladly slipped on her sneakers. That thought reminded her the fact that Serena had said they were going to burn her clothes and her anger flared again.

She'd been kidnapped, told she was betrothed, and for some reason a servant who seemed like a very nice woman was suddenly angry for her and scared of her at the same time. She was confused and when Skylar was confused she didn't like it and got angry. David had just placed himself in harms way.

At last they reached wherever it was that David wanted them to be and she pulled her hand from his and dropped them both to her hips, her head tipping up to glare sharply at him? If fire could have flown from her eyes then violet sparks would have shot him down where he stood, as it was the look on her face seemed to be enough to stop him in his track at least for a moment.

"So do you make it habit to kiss complete strangers, whose names you don't even know, and then drag them barefoot around this stone monstrosity you call home? For that matter do you make it a habit to kidnap women you've never met and force them into betrothals without so much as a 'by your leave'? And oh yes I know you were worried about Serena back there, if one hair is out of place on her head when I see her again you'll wish to whatever god you believe in that you'd never laid eyes on me. I suggest you start talking because from where I stand you're in a monster pile of shit and need to start shoveling."

Stopping only to catch her breath she continued to glare indignantly and couldn't help blurting out the last thing that came to mind, "And if anyone burns my clothes so help you I'll beat them bloody! Now explain!"

David stared at her a moment, wide eyed, unsure of what to say, how to answer her, if there were ever an answer that would make sense to her. Perhaps it was too much to put her up to all of this at once. Yet, David could not help it. There was simply too much at stake.

So, he gave a broad smile, it came to his face like the morning, slow and steady.

"I only kissed you because I could not help it. You looked so beautiful. Moreso than I ever imagined. I do apologize, things are coming at you so fast. Please, don't think about this betrothed stuff. It is all myth and legend. Just, do not think about it. I try not to. How would you feel if someone told you that you were betrothed to a woman when you were five years old, and no one had heard of her except in legend."

David shook his head as he lit a candle. The empty hallway brightened up, and it showed a small room inside the castle. It looked empty and unusred, dusty cobwebs clung to the low ceiling. He ducked, pushing back to the end, where another door stood in front of them.

He opened it up, to show her his secret hiding spot. A small corner room, with several arrow slits looking out at the gardens below. This had been a part of the castle's defenses at one time, but no one had attacked in generations, and it had become useless and forgotten. David and his brother found this place when they were children, it was always their hiding spot.

Creepy vines crawled up the side of the arrow slits, and roses so warm and so bright stood just outside. If someone wanted to reach out far enough, they could grab one.

"No one will burn your clothes," He said, bowing as he let her enter, "I promise you. No one wants to make you angry, or try to confuse you. You were talking with Serena, weren't you? Well, that would explain it. The girl runs her mouth rampant. And she talks as if everyone already knows what she is talking about. I swear, she fits right in with the aristocrats. They are as boring and confusing as her."

David looked out the at beautiful gardens below. He didn't realize he held her hand in his own, and brushed it away, looking at her with such love, such pain.

"I'm sorry, I will not kiss you again. I will not do anything you want without your permission. I have not kidnapped you, no one has. If you wish to leave, then just tell me. We can get your clothes, and you will never see any of us or this castle again. Your wish is my command, ask it and I will give it to you."

Some of the anger went out of her as David talked but a look of disbelief filled her face instead. Did he realize he was just as confusing as Serena, even if he didn't talk as fast? What was all this about finding out he was betrothed when he was...

Her thoughts trailed off as she followed him into the room and looked out onto the gardens surrounding this portion of the castle. The were beautiful and made her breath catch in her throat. She couldn't remember ever having seen anything quite so lovely and she had to admit that the way the rose vines fell over the arrow slits only added to the charm of the view. She could have stood and stared for hours and her awe of the view showed on her face before she realized that David was still talking and his voice drew her back to reality.

It took her a moment to realize that he'd said she could go home if she wanted to and that made her suspicious. Serena hadn't given her much information but she'd definatly made it sound like she was here to stay...whether she really liked it or not. She had to admit that the idea of staying was slowly growing on her. Despite the strangeness of it all it was more pleasant here than where she'd come from and she'd talked more in one day so far then she often had in weeks before. And it was beautiful here. She just needed to understand what was happening to her.

Looking around she realized there were a couple of low padded benched and she pointed to them before demanding, "Sit, explain. You are as confusing as Serena. Someone is going to explain to me what the hell I am doing here in the first place. You say it's not kidnapping well I don't know a better word for being taken without being asked if I wanted to be. Now explain from the beginning before I simply go storming about disrupting everyone in this building until someone gives me a clear answer....Why was I brought here? And what is all this 'chosen one' business?"

Serena had saw David kiss Skye, and she stopped dead in her tracks. She gazed upon them, her heart stopped for a moment, then started again. Shaking off the odd feeling that had momentarily surprised her, she turned and left the couple. “Obviously they will get along just fine,” she smiled as she headed to her room.

She pulled out her book and began to write in her journal...

Today she came... the Chosen One... she is beautiful, kind and I think she is smart, but I'm not sure yet. She seems slow on the understanding of things, though David likes her. I saw them kiss. He took her to his special place his and Maximillian's hiding hole.

I hope she will become a friend. I need one. Now that David has Skye and Maximillian will be traveling sometime, I don't know when, to find his bride, I will be alone.

Ohhhh.. mamma and pappa have gone to find me a mate.... I think that is silly, I'm happy where I am. I am free to roam and free to move about. The boys are grown and I have also, though they don't see that and still treat me like a child. But it matters not...

Do you know she got angry because she was to marry David and then she was kissing him.... . and she is betrothed to another in her time.... well... good for David, he must look better then her other mate...

A funny thing happened... he kissed her. I saw it, yes I did! My insides felt all funny for a second, then it was gone... I wonder what that meant.

Well... for now I'll not worry, perhaps it is a sickness.... ohhhhh noooooo.... perhaps the woman Skye is diseased.... I will have to watch over her!!!!

Until next time my dear friend...

Your faithful companion
Meeeeeeeee

Closing her journal, Serena hid it deep within the folds of her gowns and the bottom of her trunk. She crawled onto her bed and took a book from the small table and began to read. The words of Romeo and Juliette absorbed her thoughts, she would have to thank Maximillion for bringing it to her from his last trip to the other time.

"Hello dear brother," Maximillian said as he strode into the room. "I apologize if I am intruding, but I had heard our guest had finally arrived. Or should I say..." He paused for a moment before finishing, "the radiant sun has risen to melt the fog in our hearts and minds." Maximillian smiled slightly and bowed to Skye, enjoying his turn of phrase.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Maximillian, your devoted servant, milady." He lightly grasps her fingers in his gloved hand and bands over her hand. His lips close enough to feel the warmth of her hand, his nose to inhale the scent of her skin, but no closer.

Maximillian takes glides back two paces and leans against the doorway, his left hand resting lightly on the rapier by his side. His violet eyes regard the couple sitting on the bench. He tilts his head slightly as his gaze moves from his brother, to the barefoot princess to be.

"David, I believe you were about to explain things to her," Maximillian said with a generous wave of his hand, encompassing the castle, the brothers and Skye herself in the motion.

"But brother, be terse. Don't forget the introduction ceremony, and the welcoming ceremony, or was it welcoming and then introducing? I can never remember. Then the gifting ceremony."

Seeing the worried look on Skye's face, Maximillian relents, "I jest fair lady. But lunch will be served soon, and the cook wields a nasty spoon to princes and princesses who don't appear promptly with clean hands!"

David bit his lower lip, and gave a weak smile as he stared down at his feet. He had heard the tales several times, and enjoyed them as a child. Cold nights by a fire, cuddled up under a blanket, hearing of the wars, the betrayals, heros rising up, and demons falling at the blade of a sword.

He didn't think he had much time to give her the long version of the story. There was never enough time, considering part of the story was being written even now. This was a final chapter, at least everyone hoped it was. If not, then it would simply be a prelude.

"Our Kingdom has been waiting for a Chosen One for a long time now. A woman with great power to free us from a curse that has overcome this land. We find one, each generation, when the male prince becomes of age. She is found as his betrothed, in order to marry and break the curse, so we can once again return to the worlds we knew. I don't know why you were chosen over others. Certainly you have spots in your life where you have felt different, stranger. You have seen things other people can not see, or done things that seemed impossible.

"We have people, called seers, who venture out to look for Chosen Ones. They looked for women like that, women of power that can help break the curse upon our lands. Each generation they find a new chosen one, but each generation they are wrong. That is why so many people know of you and your coming, and are so excited to see you. You are the one who is going to break our curse."

David stood up, looking over at his brother, "We should go have lunch. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to tell you so soon. It's not every day you wake up in a strange land and have all this dumped on you. I was hoping to break it to you slowly, but... you wanted the truth."

"Well that stinks," Serena said in disgust as she tossed the Shakespearean work to the floor. Grabbing her journal she writes.

I'm back again for a moment. What an outrage... that man... Shakespeare, he writes them off. KILLS THEM!!!! Good golly!!! Wait till I see Max.. I'll tell him to bring me something else, perhaps from Syke's time. Bye again.. I'm off to lunch, and I must make sure Skye isn't ill, though now my stomach is ok... perhaps it was all the running I was doing looking for David and Max.

Placing her journal back in her chest, Serena headed to the dining hall then stopped. "OH NO!!! She has no shoes!!!"

Gathering her dress in her hands, Serena ran towards the boys hiding hole. Stopping short, she heard Maximillion's voice and his honey-coated words spill from them. Then she heard David's explanation of the curse. Blowing the hair from her eyes, she pushed her way through the dust and dirt, hitting Maximillion in the back. "Let her be, you silly twits, she needs shoes," pointing to Skye's feet. "They are going to give her a cold, then she'll get sick, then die, then we are all stuck in this damn castle until one of you bed some chit and have a child." She grabbed Skye's hand, and helped her to her feet, not taking in her stunned face.

"Oh.... one moment Skye," turning to David, "You can't kiss her you goof, she is betrothed to another! You stole her and that is wrong, you need to woo her now, because she is promised to another and you can't have her if she won't take your heart too!"

Then looking at Maximillion, "That book was the most terrible thing I have ever read! He killed them, one drinks poison that isn't poison, then one stabs oneself, then one drinks poison that is poison, or something like that," Her finger pressed into Max's chest, "You must fine me something of a great love that conquers all, besides Skye is a nice woman, perhaps you'll find one such as she that your heart will fill with glee.." Her eyes brightened, "Did you hear that she turned to Skye, "I am a poet!"

Once more taking Skye's hand, "Let us find you some slippers, and then feed you." She moved to the door and David and Max blocked her path, "Boys, move." Her tiny body was dwarfed by David, Max and Skye's tall forms, her long brown curls escaping from her braid and falling over her blue eyes.

Skye blinked when another man entered the small room she was in. He looked exactly like David! Good lord it wasn't just Prince's she was going to have to deal with, it was twins! When he took her hand and nearly kissed it but not quite she smiled softly, this one - Maximillian wasn't it? - had a flare for the dramatic obviously. When he started listing off ceremonies though she looked at him like he'd sprouted a second head until he finally relented and admitted lunch was almost ready.

Shaking her head she turned her attention back to David who gave her a brief outline of the curse, she'd want specifics later but this was good enough for now and before she had a chance to respond Serena came bursting through the door talking at full speed as usual.

"Boys, move."

Looking up at the men blocking the door she chuckled softly realizing just how much taller than Serena the rest of them were. The girl had enough prescence that you didn't notice she was short until it was glaringly obvious.

"Gentlemen stay right were you are please. Serena, do me a favor and stop talking for thirty seconds so someone can get a word in edgewise please.

First, I'm not going to die from a cold, so please don't kill me off just quite yet.

Second, yes David needs to woo me if he expects me to stay but not because I am betrothed to another. There is no one back home pining for me Serena. He needs to woo me because I am a woman and if he wants to marry me than he needs to know me, and love me, first.

Third, the story you were reading sounds like Shakespeare, in which case I doubt it was aweful. His plays are famous in my world though his comedies are much better than his tragedies in my opinion."

Looking at Serena she laughed softly now because the other woman had a look of surprise on her face. She hadn't said this much to her all at once before - Serena hadn't given her the chance! - and obviously the girl was startled. Giving the other woman's hand a squeeze she grinned impishly and looked at the two men still standing in front of the door, "Thank you for being so worried for me Serena. It's nice to know I'll have a friend around here who won't be too scared of their Highnesses to stand up to them with me when they need it." Without thinking she added just to tease them, "It's obvious to me they're very spoiled and we'll have to work on them."

Her eyes danced with laughter on that last comment though the rest of her face remained serious. With a gentle push to David's shoulder she smiled sweetly up at him. "You can move now. I need shoes and I'm starving. Next time you guys go around kidnapping a girl you might consider putting snacks in her room for when she wakes up."

Serena chuckled as the twins just stood there. "Oh, we will be such great friends, and yes they are quite spoiled. Handsome men that know it are very spoiled, and yes I do ramble, it annoys them, I'm sure they wish they could just shut me up... but they haven't found a way yet."

The boys still stood rooted so Serena reached out pinched Maximillion's side, then repeated the gesture, both men jumped, "Ticklish, remember that. You'll find it very useful. Let's grab you some slippers, and I'm glad your not betrothed. David is a fine catch, yet so is Max, perhaps, you'll sample both!" She saw the look of shock and fury cross the brothers face as the moved towards her. "See I knew they would move. Let's go."

Serena and Skye made their way back to the chamber where Skye had awoken. "I am glad you will make David woo you." Serena smiled, then sat down while Skye looked for a pair of sneakers. "I hope all goes well, with you and you wish to stay here. I am sorry for going on and on, I tend to get nervous when I talk to new people, and I will admit, the twins still make me nervous. I feel like a child with them. They have always been around, and I guess I'm like their little sister, and I tend to forget I'm not, and I tease them relentlessly and ... I'm doing it again."

Taking a deep breath she waited for Skye to place her cold feet into her slippers, "Let's grab our food, and perhaps we will enjoy a picnic with the boys over my the lake, would you like a suit, or just swim naked?"

Ticklish? Oh yes she'd remember that! With the brothers out of the way she followed Serena back to her room and this time she paid attention to where she was going so she'd be able to find it again. She found it rather amusing to listen to Serena ramble when she wasn't jumping to conclusions and hearing that she'd grown up with the twins made them seem a little more real. She knew now she wasn't in a dream but she still half expected to wake up in her own bed, or perhaps in the little grotto she used to hide in when the other town kids were being mean.

Searching the closet she found the slippers that matched the dress she'd thrown over her head and groaned softly. Heels. And Serena was talking about a picnic. Looking at the closet she looked from it to Serena then back again and waved her hand, "Help. I'm used to jean, t-shirts, tank tops and sneakers. Dresses and heeled slippers are not a part of my repertoire. What on earth do I wear for a picnic when nothing in here looks casual to me???"

As she asked she realized that Serena had just said something about swimming naked but she chose to just ignore that little fact. After all a place that didn't like shorts and jeans and wanted her to wear dresses all the time couldn't really just let be go around swimming naked could they??

David gave Max a bried smile, before looking back at the two women disappearing beyond the hall. They had the look of aged old friends, and it was pleasing to see them both slip into the role so well. She would at least try to accept what was going on, at first. He was thankful of that, at least. No more explanations. He would be happy not to have to go through that.

"I'm sorry," He said to Max, "I didn't mean to kiss her... she just looked so... you know. I couldn't help myself. I hope- I hope that whatever happens, none of us will get hurt."

He stared at his brother, so much going on in there. It was like staring at a mirror. How could one analyze himself from the outside? It was too much to ask of anyone.

"You said lunch was ready?"

"David, I could hardly resist kissing her myself. Who knows, if I hadn't of been confronted by Mistress Brie about lunch being ready, I might have arrived first. Then it would be I who is doing the apologizing."

Letting out a long sigh, Maximillian continued, "It should have been a short cut, but you know how she is about reminding us to wash, and be prompt, and to tuck in our shirts."

Maximillian put his arm around David shoulder and started strolling toward Skye's room. "Should we escort our lovely young guest to lunch?"

As they strolled down the hall, Maximillian regarded his brother. "We must be careful brother. The curse seems to be strengthening in response to the Chosen's arrival."

They were standing outside of Skye's door, and Maximillian appeared suddenly nervous. He wiped his gloved hands down the front of his charcoal grey doublet. He turned to his brother and said, "I must admit, I believe I am more nervous conversing with her because of her rare beauty, than that she might be our salvation."

Serena reached over into the closet and pulled out a split ed skirt, boots and a white blouse with pearl buttons. "Here you go, I'll wait outside while you change..." pausing at the door. "See Skye, I can talk simple, you probably thought I was going to tell you how my mother sewed the pearl buttons herself onto that blouse and how she and pa found the pearls in the oceans of some far off land, but I resisted, yes I did. Well, I'm going to wait outside for you."

Opening the door she saw the twins, waiting for Skye, "Oh good grief, you boys look like two whipped poodles waiting for their master to take them on a walk."

Looking up to Marcus she said, "Why on earth did you bring me that vile book, and David, why are on Earth would you be kissing the girl, you just met her, what if you had scared her off?"

Leaning against the wall she muttered, "I do hope ma and pa do not find me a mate from a world, for to have to marry men like you to fierce men have turned to pups is beyond me!"

Skye smiled as Serena told her she could talk simply and couldn't resist chuckling when she heard the other woman talking to the Princes in the hallway. Looking at the garments Serena had chose Skye couldn't help but shiver as once more the unreality of the situation hit her.

She'd never had anything as nice as this simple outfit. Most of her clothing had been hand-me-downs from other family members because her parents hadn't had much money. It had never bothered her but suddenly confronted with clothing she knew that no one else had worn before she felt out of place and like she was dreaming again. And these weren't just new clothes, they were made of good materials and obviously designed just for her.

Slowly she dressed and when she turned to look in the mirror she was once again stunned by how clever Serena's mother was. Without ever having met her to take Skye's measurments the woman had managed to sew garments that clung to her like a second skin and swirled around her making the most of her figure. The coloring was perfect too which was no mean feat considering the flame color of her hair.

Unable to put off lunch any longer she gently opened the door and offered a shy smile to the brothers standing there and a real grin to Serena. It was to Serena that she addressed her question as well, "So, what do you think?" she asked as she twirled slowly before the other woman.

"Your mother is the cleverest seamstress ever Serena. I don't know how much the boys here pay her but they should double it."

Linking her arm through Serena's she whispered softly to the other woman so that the brothers couldn't hear, "Please stay with me," before speaking louder so everyone could hear, "So where's this lunch? Lead the way."

She prayed the Prince's wouldn't send Serena away. She knew herself well enough to know that her nervousness would translate into a short temper and that if she didn't have a buffer between herself and them that one of the three of them was going to get a verbal whipping...and she doubted she'd be on the receiving end.

Back