Elizabeth's Education of Erotica (Blue Dolphin & RedHairedandFriendly)

RedHairedandFriendly

Too much red on Red?
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Posts
112,724
Please fill free to PM either Blue Dolphin or myself as Roger teaches Elizabeth the arts of seduction.

Enjoy,
RH&F
BD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OOC: Elizabeth Matthews.... 5'8", 28 years old, long black hair, blue eyes,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked quietly down the sidewalk, the small twitter in my stomach had slowly started to grow into a sense of dread and nervousness. How I hated this part. The first meeting of potential employer and employee. Having been with the Temporary Agency for the past several months, floating from office job to office job, not really finding a place that needed me for long periods of time. Now, here I was facing the steps that would hopefully, find me with a job at the end of the day.

Placing my hand on the concrete banister I paused and reflected on the past five years and the events before them. Alan and I had married, I thought he was my soul-mate, only to discover he had only wed me to appease his family. Both of our parents had grown up together and each set had hoped that we would eventually grow up and live a bliss filled life. However, it was anything but the fairy tale marriage. After the night of our wedding, which had been awkward, embarrassing and unpleasant, we rarely slept in the same room. It wasn't until his death five years later, that I finally learned of the secret life my husband led.

Shaking off the memories of the day my world ended, and the day it truely began to grow, I take a deep breath and head up the stairs. Running my fingers through my long, raven hair, and slipping my sunglasses off my blue eyes, I knock on the office door, in hopes that it will lead to a path of self-discovery.

“Pendleton Law Firm,” saying the name confidently to myself. Rolling it off my tongue, and along with it, I can hear the nervousness in my voice. Swallowing down my uneasiness, I raises my hand and knock on the door. Shifting from foot to foot, I wait for barely a moment before the door is opened and a gentleman invites me in, barely taking a look at me, he moves back behind his desk.

Following behind him, closing the door I take a seat across from his desk.
 
Last edited:
OOC
Roger Pendleton, 37 year old lawyer.
A widower of 3 years, Roger is 6 foot, with brown hair, and smokey grey eyes.
Athletic in that he plays squash twice weekly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hear the knock on the door, and think to myself that this must be the new temp. The agency had called me last night, to say that an Elizabeth Matthews would be here today. I sincerely hoped that she would not be another one of the bimbo`s that they had been supplying recently.

The airheads who wanted to spend their day, talking to friends on the phone, and painting their nails. I had explained to the agency often enough, I required someone with at least a small degree of efficiency, and acumen, not a 21 year old party animal. I just hoped that the message had got through this time.

I am pleasantly surprised in that at least she is in her late twenties, and dressed conservatively, I smile, and ask her to follow me.

Once she has taken her seat, I speak.

"I am Roger pendleton Miss Matthews, and hopefully, you will prove to be a useful asset to my firm. I say hopefully, because unfortunately, the temps that the agency has supplied so far, have been totally inadequate. But that is the bye the bye, you are here now, and we shall soon see.

Now then, as to your duties, answering the phone, opening my mail, and sifting it for priority. Keeping the files up to date, both in the filing cabinets and on the computer, vetting my appointments, in regard to the days I am in court as well of course. Occasionally making coffee for special clients, and taking care of them if I am busy. I think that is all, but no doubt something else will arise, it usually does. That is about it I think, do you have any questions, before I show you to your office Miss Matthews?"
 
Last edited:
Crossing my legs at the ankles, I listened patiently as Mr. Pendleton explained the various duties he wished for me to perform.

"Now then, as to your duties, answering the phone, opening my mail, and sifting it for priority. Keeping the files up to date, both in the filing cabinets and on the computer, vetting my appointments, in regard to the days I am in court as well of course. Occasionally making coffee for special clients, and taking care of them if I am busy. I think that is all, but no doubt something else will arise, it usually does. That is about it I think, do you have any questions, before I show you to your office Miss Matthews?"


“I really only have a couple of questions. First, I am curious as to if this works out, my employment here, could it become permanent? I only ask because I am growing quite frustrated with the temp. agency and the shuffling I am doing. Also, will weekends play a factor into my employment?” I shifted in my seat as Mr. Pendleton explained that the position could become permanent if we both decided we worked well together, and as far as weekends were concerned, some cases will need special attention and both of us would lose some of our free time.

Nodding my head that I agree with him, I stand and extend my hand, “Thank you for the opportunity to work here with you, I hope we both are able to get what we want from this arrangement, and weekends won't be a problem for me.” Grinning brightly, “So, where is my office?”

Following Mr. Pendleton, he leads me into a lovely room. The furnishings are rustic and charming, reminding me of the 1800's. “A collector of antiques, I assume?” Running my hands across the old desk and admiring the texture and color. Smiling, “A lovely piece of furniture. I believe it is a Thomas Brooks piece, isn't it? Quite valuable, around five grand.” Noticing his brow raise, I knew that I had surprised him. “Antique furniture is a passion of mine, and I can see you have many exquisite pieces."

Resting my purse on the desk, I offer my hand again, "I think this will work out great for the both of us, and please call me Elizabeth or Liz or Lizzie whichever you prefer. I go by Ms. now, I was a Mrs. along time ago, but that is another story for another time perhaps."
 
Last edited:
“A collector of antiques, I assume?”

She says, as I watch her caressing the Brooks,

“A lovely piece of furniture. I believe it is a Thomas Brooks piece, isn't it? Quite valuable, around five grand. Antique furniture is a passion of mine, and I can see you have many exquisite pieces."


A little surprised at her knowledge, and the fact she touched the desk in that way, my eyebrow raises slightly, but, I let her continue.

"I think this will work out great for the both of us, and please call me Elizabeth or Liz or Lizzie whichever you prefer. I go by Ms. now, I was a Mrs. along time ago, but that is another story for another time perhaps."

"Elizabeth it shall be then, and I will be Roger to you, with one exception, if clients are present, you will always refer to me as Mr Pendleton. And as to the furniture Elizabeth, yes, I do appreciate the finer things in life my dear."


Elizabeth signifies her sgreement on the names, as I think to myself that I am quite pleased with what I have seen so far. She is an attractive, and independant woman, not short on confidence. Maybe at last someone in the agency had actually listened to me.

I will be out most of today Elizabeth, in court, but I will be back by four. I would suggest that you try and make some sense of the files. Your predecessor, Carina, well, you will see. The computer is online ready for you, and I use Microsift Word, so you should be fine. Now, is there anything else before I leave?"

I knew that when I returned later, I would soon find out if she was suitable, or, if she had wonderful fingernails. I have an inkling though, that it will not be just her hands that will impress me.
 
Last edited:
"Elizabeth it shall be then, and I will be Roger to you, with one exception, if clients are present, you will always refer to me as Mr Pendleton. And as to the furniture Elizabeth, yes, I do appreciate the finer things in life my dear."

Looking over at Roger, my eyes smiling over the surprised expression at my knowledge of the 'finer things' in life I inform him of a little about my past. “My mother is an antique dealer. She instilled in me a sense of respect and admiration for all things. Therefore many antiques furnishings catch my eye.”

“I will be out most of today Elizabeth, in court, but I will be back by four. I would suggest that you try and make some sense of the files. Your predecessor, Carina, well, you will see. The computer is online ready for you, and I use Microsift Word, so you should be fine. Now, is there anything else before I leave?"


I watch as my new employer leaves the office, hearing him open and close the main door behind him. Looking out the window, I see him proceed down the sidewalk. Smiling to myself, taking in the desk, the Tiffany Dragonfly lamp, and many other beautiful pieces of furniture, I slip off my heels and walk over to the file cabinet.

The cabinet, opens easily and the wood shines, as if it too has been polished to perfection. Looking in, noticing papers obviously mishandled, misfiled and in disarray, I pull a large handful out and head back to the desk. Slipping into the Louis XVI parlor chair, scooting myself closer to the edge of the seat, I slowly begin to place papers in different stacks around my desk.

After several hours and trips back and forth to the file cabinet, the storage closet, and once to the ladies room, I look around the floor and notice all the different piles. Blowing the bangs from my face, I tuck a few loose strands behind my ear and begin to place the appropriate ones in their correct place. I had spent a large amount of time scanning and transfering files from paper copy to the hardrive of the computer, growing more frustrated with the previous secretary. "Unbelievable," I growl to myself.

The call of my own need for nourishment beckons me, so I order a light lunch to be delivered to the office. Enjoying my salad and tea, my mind wanders off to a different time and place. Alan and I had just returned from another disappointing visit with his family. We had argued over how often he was not at home, and how, no matter what we were doing, when his friends from the club called he always went running. He had stormed out angry with me once again and it was later that night that the officers came to the door to inform me that he had died. I knew what had happened, but they went into details as to how it had occured. He and a friend had left the bar late and both had been drinking, the car had careened a guard rail and then spun several times before slamming hard into the rocky wall of the mountain. They were both killed instantly.

Shaking the thought of what I would later learn from my head, I notice the time is quickly approaching 4:00. Sliding my shoes back onto my feet and running my hands up the stockings, I sigh over the silkiness of them against my legs. Turning in my chair, I quickly log onto my website and take a few moments to answer the emails concerning my recent decision to begin purchasing early 1600's Baroque art.

Hearing the door of the office open, I close out my website and gather up the stack of unpaid expenses, listed in order of neglect, using the dates to arrange them from oldest to youngest. “I bet he has no idea that the other secretary wasn't paying his expense accounts. I'm sure he'll be furious over that,” I say outloud to myself, just as Roger walks through my office door.
 
Walking back from the courthouse, I realise that it has been quite a good day. OK I had the usual hanging around, waiting for things to happen, but two successes was a good day. I was just hoping that the new girl, Elizabeth would be a success also.
Walking up to my office door, I was thinking to myself "I certainly hope so, surely there can not be another like Carina, God forbid"

Opening the door, I hear Elizabeth saying something.

"I'm sure he'll be furious over that,”

"Hello Elizabeth, who will be furius about what?"


I see the surprise on her face, before she explains to me about the expenses, and people asking to be paid forthwith.

"Just give me a moment to get my cheque book Elizabeth, then you can type out the letters, and I wil sign the cheques."

I walk through to my desk, and retrieve the cheque book, feeling much happier, that she has atleast made a good start. Returning to her office, I continue tlaking, I look at her, a little closer now, and notice the stockings, and the black heels. But I stop myself, dismissing such thoughts, and speak once more of the matters in hand.

"That Carina girl truly was truly terrible Elizabeth, do you know something, she would sit here, discussing her sex life, on the phone in front of my clients? Unbelieveable, and then she could not understand why I stopped her coming here."

Elizabeth said nothing, she just smiled at me as she started to type the letters.

"I did have a wonderful secretary Elizabeth, for about 6 years, Barbra was her name. She and her husband were great, especially when the cancer finally took my wife. I dont know what I would have done withut them. Her husband got a promotion, and a transfer to Europe, so that was that, since then, it has been a struggle to find someone suitable, but, hopefully Elizabeth, you never know..."

I left it hanging in the air, as she offered me the cheque book, all the cheques written out, just requiring a signature. She was impressing me more and more, with each passing minute so far.

"Oh yes, Elizabeth, one thing I forgot to mention this morning. Last thing each day, I need you to prepare a list. You will find what you need in my diary, the one that you will use to book my appointments. Every evening before I leave, place a list on my desk, of the following days appointments, and prepare the files for when I arrive the next day."

She seemed OK with that, making a note of it on her pad, before looking up at me.
 
Last edited:
"Oh yes, Elizabeth, one thing I forgot to mention this morning. Last thing each day, I need you to prepare a list. You will find what you need in my diary, the one that you will use to book my appointments. Every evening before I leave, place a list on my desk, of the following days appointments, and prepare the files for when I arrive the next day."



Looking up at Roger, I could see that the loss of his wife still pained him and I felt a small kinship to the man. It seemed to me that he had loved his wife. I too had loved Alan, not in the passionate way that people hear about, but in the way that one feels for a friend they have known all their lives. Sighing quietly, slowly I begin to relate to him just a few things from my past.

“I mentioned when we met that I was once a Mrs. and now a Ms.” His interest was stirred, waiting for him to sit across from me, I paused in the telling of my story. Once he was comfortable, his leg resting on his knee, I began again, “Alan was the name of my husband. He was killed five years ago. He had been drinking and he and a friend,” my voice sneered and I heard my sarcasm, quickly I covered it up before continuing. “They were both killed instantly. The car hit a guardrail and then slammed into a rocky mountain side.”

His brows lifted, but he continued to let me talk, “I am sorry about the loss of your wife and please know that, if you ever feel the need to talk, I'm a great listener. I'm not going to try and replace Barbara. I can tell that she obviously greatly impressed you with her skills. I'll only promise to do my best and do my job.”

I noticed the time and though not wanting to rush the day, I had made arrangements to look at a lovely oil painting, "The Night Watch" and I was to meet the owner later that evening. “Roger, we never discussed what time the day ended. I assumed it to be around 5:00, is that so? If it is, I have an art deal to go over with the potential of buying the piece and I need to go home and change.” Calmly I waited for his reply, crossing my fingers under the desk that I would be able to make my late night plans happen.
 
Last edited:
I listen to Elizabeth talking about her husband, unsure as to wether or not the friend her husband was with was a woman, or a man.I say nothing though, that is for her to decide, not me, should she ever want to tell me.

“Roger, we never discussed what time the day ended. I assumed it to be around 5:00, is that so? If it is, I have an art deal to go over with the potential of buying the piece and I need to go home and change.”

"Absolutely Elizabeth, 5 O`clock it is. And should I require you to stop later anytime, we can work something out, either pay you, or take extra time off.
Thank you by the way, for sharing that with me about your husband Alan. I know how painful such things can be, as with my own wife Debra. She had discovered a lump in her breast, and was too afraid to tell anyone. By the time she did, it was too late, 3 months later her body was riddled with cancer, and she was gone. I know they say that time is the great healer, but what they dont say is that the time moves very slowly.
Anyway, I digress, come Elizabeth, take your coat, and I will see you tomorrow morning, when I will be in the office all day hopefully."


I rise from my seat, watching as she prepares to leave, and then accompanying her to the door. Noticing again what a very attractive lady she is, with her long black her, and beautiful blue eyes.

When she is gone, I sit quietly, thinking, the memories running through my mind. Thoughts of more happier times, but I know that I should not be so morose. I at last have what seems to be an efficient, and very nice secretary.
"Life may well be taking a turn for the better" I think to myself, as I lock the door, and walk to my car.
 
Last edited:
Arriving before Mr. Pendleton, Roger, I unlock the office and flick on the lights. Taking a moment to familirize myself with the place once more, my eyes roam over the Desvres window box filled with artificial fruit and flowers placed on the lovely table by the window. Roger, has very good taste, I think to myself as see several lovely and exquisite pieces.

Placing my jacket in the closet, I smooth down my navy skirt and run my hands across the front of my chest. Adjusting the white silk blouse, the buttons now resting between my breast. Deciding I have the time, I make a quick trip to the ladies room, reapplying my burgundy lipstick and appreciating the fact that I don't need to wear much make-up, but always insist on my lipstick. I smile and look over my legs, the stockings and garters compliment the outfit, even if it is only for my own pleasure and noone else's. Bending down I notice a small scuff on my navy heels and wetting my tongue I try to rub it away. Shrugging my shoulders, I run my fingers through my loose hair, debating on whether or not to put it up, deciding against it, I let it fall to the middle of my back in curls.

Looking at my watch I notice the time and that Roger will be arriving soon, leaving the restroom, pulling the daily list of activities from my purse, I place it on his desk. Picking up a lovely black and white photo of him and his wife, I admire her beauty and the handsome gentleman in the picture. Not much has changed from when this picture was taken and the man that I now work for.

Turning to leave his desk I notice the bottom drawer is slightly open, bending down, I push it closed. The drawer becomes stuck so I sit down on the floor and wiggle it left to right, finally freeing it. Pulling it completely open, so I could slide it back in place, I notice a small variety of silk scarves. Lifting a red one out, and closing the drawer, I run the scarf through my fingers, feeling the softness of the material. The texture is lovely, smooth and slippery, the color bright and rich.

Hearing the door knob turn and the door begin to open, I quickly shove the scarf into my skirt pocket, not wanting to be caught rifling through the boss's desk. Quickly, I rise up and smooth my skirt, brushing my hair back.

"Hello Roger, I was putting your list for today on your desk. Big plans today?"
 
Last edited:
Arriving at the office, I am pleasantly surprised to find that Elizabeth is already there. Not only that, but she looks the part too, and has obviously taken great care with her appearance. A nice crisp white, blouse, and matching heels and a navy skirt, with a trace of quite exquisite lipstick it seems also.

"Hello Roger, I was putting your list for today on your desk. Big plans today?"

This pleases me, she has remembered her task, and I smile before answering her question

"Big plans Elizabeth? Oh I doubt that, just the usual messy divorces I would imagine, along with the normal minor felonies. But we shall see, you never know, one day a celebrity may walk in, looking for a good lawyer."

I take a quick glance at my list, after hanging up my jacket.

"Can you pull out the Makinson file please Elizabeth, also that one on the Goldbergs, the messy divorce I was on about? After that you may continue on the files, and oh yes, I will require you to take some dictation in about an hour."

I watch as she leaves to go and retrieve the files I have asked for. I wonder for a moment, why I am watching her? I have not really watched any woman in a long time. I have lusted over some, but all men do that. This is different, there is something about her, the walk, and the posture.

"stop being so stupid Roger, she is a secretary, that is all, and nothing more". I think to myself
 
Last edited:
"Can you pull out the Makinson file please Elizabeth, also that one on the Goldbergs, the messy divorce I was on about? After that you may continue on the files, and oh yes, I will require you to take some dictation in about an hour."



Walking back to my office, my face feeling flushed, hoping that he hadn't seen the scarf I had stuck in my pocket, I quickly shut my office door. Leaning against it, I release the breath I had been holding. Pulling the scarf from my pocket, I hold it clenched in my hand. Biting my lip, I wonder what I'm going to do with it and how I'm going to get it back into his desk drawer? Pushing my bangs away from my face and tucking my hair behind my ear, I move over to my desk and slide the scarf inside.

Taking a deep breath I compose myself and move over to the file cabinet and retrieve the files that he requested. My stomach still in knots, I head back towards Roger. Realizing that he isn't aware of me, I find myself looking at him differently then I had yesterday when we first met. His shoulders are broad and his body obviously in very good shape. Remembering the cluster of antique frames portraying him and his mates playing squash, I see how he stays in shape. Taking a few more moments I admire the cut of his hair, finding myself wondering what it would feel like between my fingers. Shaking the thought from my head and the shock of thinking such thoughts from my mind, I clear my throat making my prescense known.

Turning towards me, I look up into his eyes, for the first time really noticing the color, a smokey-grey, similar to the smoke rising from a warm fire. "Good grief!" I think to myself, "What am I thinking?" Handing him the Makinson and Goldbergs files, smiling I head back to my office, shutting the door quietly.

Filling a paper cup from the Culligan water dispenser, I take a long drink letting my thirst be quenched as I try to regain my compose. Finally, feeling like myself, I move back to the files. Taking out a stack I begin to transfer them to the hard-drive of the computer. My mind continues to drift back to the pile of scarves in Roger's desk and the one in my own. Talking to myself outloud, I question, "Why does he have all those? He doesn't keep them in his suit jacket pocket, they are much to large for that."

Opening the drawer I pull the red scarf from my desk and slowly feel the fabric between my fingers, then wrap it slowly around my right wrist, "It is lovely." I say to myself. The hour had quickly moved along, realizing this I grabbed my notepad, pushed the scarf in the top drawer of my desk, and went to take dictation.
 
Last edited:
I read through my mail, there is nothing too urgent, and then withdraw the file from my desk, that relates to the letter that I will dictate to Elizabeth. Thinking of her again, I open my special drawer, where I keep Barbra`s scarves, noticing immediately that the red one is missing. Even though I touch them rarely these days, the red is my favorite.

My first thought is Carina, that flighty little madam has probably taken it, or maybe put it somewhere else, I close the drawer as Elizabeth enters.

"She really is very attractive" I am thinking to myself, as she sits opposite me, crossing her legs. I notice the hose, and begin to wonder if it is pantyhose or stockings? Her soft voice, as she asks who the letter is for, breaks the spell.

"Normally I would use the dictaphone, and pass you the tapes, but, guess what, Carina again, wrecked the damn thing, she got the tape all tangled up in the works. I am assured that I will have it back tomorrow though. At the same time, I must admit, I am delighted to see that you can do shothand Elizabeth"

Elizabeth smiles softly, nodding, and then starting to use her shorthand skills as I dictate. This gives me the chance to watch her, I am not sure why, but I am enjoying watching her. I know that I need to snap out of it, "She is an employee", I tell myself.
Once the dictation is finished, I smile at her, and broach the subject of the scarf.

"This is a little delicate I am afraid Elizabeth, but I have something that is missing from my desk. My suspicion is that the "wonderful" Carina removed it. I have some of my wifes scarves in a drawer here, when I worked late, alone, she would come and keep me company sometimes. I wont go into detail, but the scarves are very special, they hold many wonderful memories. My thoughts are that Carina took it, maybe she took it home, or possibly put it somewhere else. So a favor please, will you check all the filing cabinets for me, and the cupboards, you cannot miss it, red silk kind of stands out does it not?"

I smile again, hoping that she understands my loss.
 
Last edited:
Looking up at Roger, I place my notepad on his desk, my face feels as if it may appear a little pale. Taking a deep breath, I look up at him, "I know where the scarf is." His eyes are both confused and relieved. "If you wait here, I'll go get it."

Turning away, I place my palm on my stomach and press it firmly against my blouse, trying to calm my nerves. Heading into my office and around my desk, I open the top drawer and pull out the red scarf. This time however, I don't admire its beauty or its softness, but instead wish I had never seen it. Not for one moment did I even think of lieing to the man. No one would take the blame for something I did, not even an incompetent secretary that Roger obviously didn't like.

Squaring my shoulders, moving back into the room, I hand the scarf to Roger. Before he can ask, I launch into my explantion, "This morning, I was putting your list of daily activities on your desk. I happened to look down and see the bottom drawer was open, so I pushed it closed, however it became lodged and I had to twist it back and forth before it finally slipped open completely. I looked inside, as anyone would and though that isn't an excuse, I noticed the scarves. I pulled this one out, and shut the drawer. I was admiring it when I heard you coming in. I didn't want to be seen rummaging through your desk, so I stuck it in my pocket. I was planning on returning it to the drawer as soon as I could." Taking a deep breath, my eyes downcast, "I'll just get my things, I'm sure you want me to go and I don't blame you."

Before, waiting to hear Roger berate and yell at me for my deceitfulness, I move into my office and begin to gather up my belongings.
 
I watch, and listen in amazement, as Elizabeth hands me the missing scarf

"This morning, I was putting your list of daily activities on your desk. I happened to look down and see the bottom drawer was open, so I pushed it closed, however it became lodged and I had to twist it back and forth before it finally slipped open completely. I looked inside, as anyone would and though that isn't an excuse, I noticed the scarves. I pulled this one out, and shut the drawer. I was admiring it when I heard you coming in. I didn't want to be seen rummaging through your desk, so I stuck it in my pocket. I was planning on returning it to the drawer as soon as I could. I'll just get my things, I'm sure you want me to go and I don't blame you."

Then she disappears, back into her office, with me following her, trying to stop her. As she starts to gather up her things, I take hold of her wrist, and speak.

"Stop what you are doing Elizabeth, come back to my office, and sit down please."

I can tell that she is unsure, and a little scared even, but I insist, and, eventually she returns, and I take my seat, and look at her.

"Now listen to me Elizabeth, as a lawyer, I meet hundreds of people each year, who spend all their time lying to me, and being devious. They know it, and I know it, all part of the game you might say. Have you any idea what a refreshing change it is to meet someone of integrity. Someone who has the courage to accept that they have done wrong, and be prepared to face up to the consequences of their actions, whatever they might be?"

I wait a moment, but Elizabeth is silent, I suspect she is on the verge of tears, as I continue.

I have known you what, 24 hours? Maybe a little more? And in that time Elizabeth, you have impressed me, with your attitude, your efficiency, and just know, with your honesty. Had one of the recent bimbo`s that the agency sent here done this, then yes, they would be on their way now. But you have impressed Elizabeth, very much so, and I am not about to let the best secretarial prospect that I have seen in a long time, just walk out of here. I want you to stay, the scarf incident will be forgotten, never mentioned again. And, if the work that you do for me, maintains the standards that you Elizabeth, have already set. Then on Friday afternoon, I will be prepared to discuss making your position here permanent."

I sit back, trying to relax, but being unsuccessful, and await her answer.
 
Last edited:
I have known you what, 24 hours? Maybe a little more? And in that time Elizabeth, you have impressed me, with your attitude, your efficiency, and just know, with your honesty. Had one of the recent bimbo`s that the agency sent here done this, then yes, they would be on their way now. But you have impressed Elizabeth, very much so, and I am not about to let the best secretarial prospect that I have seen in a long time, just walk out of here. I want you to stay, the scarf incident will be forgotten, never mentioned again. And, if the work that you do for me, maintains the standards that you Elizabeth, have already set. Then on Friday afternoon, I will be prepared to discuss making your position here permanent."



Standing up, my eyes moist from unshed tears, I sigh, "Thank you Roger, and I am sorry about the scarf. I honestly wasn't going to keep it. I'm more then thrilled to stay on and I hope you do decide to keep me on."

Lifting my face to his I smile, reaching around him, my breast barely grazing his arm, I pick up my notebook before adding, "I'll just take this into my office and transfer it onto a disk for you and bring you a papercopy as well."

Moving back to my office I pause and look back admiring the look of his eyes watching me, I wonder what he is thinking. Smiling back at him, I close my office door and lean my back against it. My wrist burns from his touch. Taking a moment, I remember the feel of his hand around my wrist. The small shiver I felt when he touched me, I hadn't felt since I was a young woman and had experienced my first kiss. Caressing my fingers along my skin, I picture his hand around it. Shaking the thoughts from my head, I move over to the desk and begin to work on the computer and transfer my shorthand to the screen.

My mind drifts over the scarf and Roger's reaction to it. I admit to myself that I'm curious as to why he would have so many of them in his desk drawer, but if his wife was fond of them then surely that is the only reason for them. Just because I didn't have any mementos of Alan and our life together doesn't mean other people wouldn't. Alan, however had plenty of mementos from his past lovers. I taste the bile rise in my throat as I recall the pictures, I stumbled across a few weeks after burying her husband.

Hearing my stomach growl, I look at the time and notice the lunch hour is quickly approaching. Setting my mind to work, trying hard to erase the memories from her mind, and focus on the task at hand, I begin to work on my dictation.
 
"Thank you Roger, and I am sorry about the scarf. I honestly wasn't going to keep it. I'm more then thrilled to stay on and I hope you do decide to keep me on. I'll just take this into my office and transfer it onto a disk for you and bring you a papercopy as well."

Watching her walk away, my arm tingling from the slightest brush of her breast against it. I know that my decision is correct.
She will be an asset to the firm, to say the least, and, I do find her attractive, maybe too much so, but that wil sort itself out I am sure.

Just before noon I call Elizabeth, and ask her to arrange for the deli to send over a sandwich for my lunch.
I wonder if she will be staying in the office also, lunch together will be pleasant I think, but doubt that it will happen really.
 
Acknowledging the hunger in my own stomach, I page back to Roger and let him know I was starving also, so I was going to add a fruit salad to the deli sandwich and would enjoy having lunch with him, if he didn't mind. He paged back that the idea sounded good to him.

Picking up the 1920's Danish antique phone, I notice that Roger had obviously gone to the trouble of having it altered so it was also modern. Running my fingers across the smooth white surface and noticing the polished metal, I'm in awe of the exquiste taste of Roger's office and am curious as to what his home looks like.

After calling the deli down the road and having an order for a sandwich and fruit bowl to be delivered in a half hour, I grab my tube of lipstick from my purse. Leaving my office I inform Roger that lunch is on its way. Heading into the ladies room, I use the facilities, wash my hands and notice the slight flush to my cheeks. Staring at myself in the mirror, my eyes seeming to sparkle a little more then they used to and my smile seems to be a bit bigger. Knowing that it is because I'm enjoying my job and looking forward to the company of lunch with Roger, I reapply my lipstick, comb my fingers through my hair and head back to Roger's office.

Seeing he is on the phone, I silently move the two Louis XV gild chairs to the marble end table and place the Andromeda vase onto the window sill, leaving the table empty for our lunch. With the table freed up, I head back to my office, a light skip to my step and a soft smile to my lips.

Logging onto my website, I take a moment to check on my purchase of a rendition of Rembrandt Van Rijn's, "The Night Watch", painted by a local artist. "My day just keeps getting better and better," I say outloud and email back that I would be more then willing to purchase the artwork. Though the original sits in a museum, I still am thrilled to have the work.

Logging off, I see the deli person walk up the steps. The phone rings just as I'm about to head to the door to greet the delivery boy, picking up the phone, I notice Roger wave me back and he answers the door.
 
Last edited:
Talking on the phone, I am pleasantly surprised to see Elizabeth setting up the chairs and table. She handles the furniture so delicately, not at all like me. It is a wonder that the porcelain has survived at all, considering the way that I toss it around.

I answer the door to the young man from the deli, and pay for the order, while Elizabeth is talking on the phone. She soon joins me at the table, and we begin to eat.

We chat amicably about nothing really at first, just general chit chat. While I wonder what she would say if she knew that I almost went out to buy her a scarf. In navy to match her skirt, but that I had thought better of it. Not a good move for a number of reasons. I am intrigued by her though, wondering where she came from, and why someone with her skills did not have a permanent position somewhere.

"So tell me Ms Elizabeth Matthews, how did I get so lucky, and end up with you working for me? In other words Elizabeth, tell me aobut yourself please, if you dont mind that is?"
 
"So tell me Ms Elizabeth Matthews, how did I get so lucky, and end up with you working for me? In other words Elizabeth, tell me aobut yourself please, if you dont mind that is?"

Swallowing the stawberry, almost whole, I cough hard, pounding on my chest, his question about my personnel life catches me off guard, though it really shouldn't have. I knew that eventually, sitting here with him intimately we would bound to focus on our personnel lives sometime. Sighing, I look up at him and slowly begin to relate some details of my life.

"My mother and father both reside on an old Louisiana plantation in St. Charles Parish. It is a lovely home and though I have no brothers or sisters, I did grow up playing with the area children. Mom loves antiques and Daddy's loves horses. So between the two of them, I've gathered a wealth of knowledge, some useful, some not."

Stirring my fruit, that I had transferred from the plastic bowl, with the sterling silver fork and pressing it along the walls of the Biltmore Royal Doulton bowl, I look up to Roger. I can tell he is waiting for more, so I pick and chose from my memories how much I wish to reveal.

Looking past him, my voice takes on a monatone sound and I find myself seperating from the emotions of my life, and continue my story. "My husband, Alan, was one of those neighborhood children I played with. Our parents always attended parties together and Alan and I were often left in the care of our housekeeper or nanny depending on whose home we were at."

At this point I could feel my nervousness and took a drink of tea and enjoyed the refreshing taste of lemon. "When Alan and I were married when I was 19. I loved him, he was my best-friend, however there were some secrets he never shared with me in all the time we were friends and during the 5 years we were married. After his death, I decided I was tired of doing what my parents expected me to do, so taking some of the funds from my husbands estate, I decided to do something different. I went to college, took classes in business and decided to start my own art collecting."

I can feel my excitement of sharing this part of my life, and I hear my voice getting more cheerful and more at ease, "I travel around the area and pick up paintings from local artists. Recently I found a gentleman that painted a beautiful rendition of, Rembrandt Van Rijn's, "The Night Watch". Though it will only become valuable if this artist becomes famous, I still love it."

Wondering if I'm talking to much, I settle back into my chair and continuing eating my fruit, then remembering something I wanted to mention to Roger, I look up and ask, "What do you do with the scarves?" I'm quite shocked that I have asked such a personnel question, quickly I offer my apologies and insist that he ignore the question. Continuing my meal, I feel my face flush and I move my leg, adjusting my position in the chair. My foot accidently touches his leg, quickly I draw it back and flush even more.

"So, moving on, what do you enjoy doing when your not in court or behind your desk?"
 
I sit attentively listening to what Elizabeth has to say, nodding occasionally. Little does she realise, how each moment that we are together, I am finding myself drawn to her. It is difficult to hold back, but for now, I know that I must.
I realise that I very much like the fact that she collects antiques, and fine art. The sign of a cultured woman, and no doubt about it.
Smiling appreciatively, I let her continue.

Then, it happens, I am not often speechless, being a lawyer, but for a moment, she manages to leave me in that state when she asks,

"What do you do with the scarves?"

She apologises at once, shuffling a little, almost squirming in her seat. Her leg catches mine in her haste to hide her embarassment. I smile, and shake my hand in the air, dismissing the error, letting her know that all is well. relaxing again, albeit hesitantly, she asks another question of me.

"So, moving on, what do you enjoy doing when your not in court or behind your desk?"

"I dont do much really Elizabeth, I play squash 2 or 3 times a week. Apart from that, I read, watch TV, I dont have an active social life anymore. Not since Debra`s passing. It was hard, friends tried to get me to go out, but did not understand. You cannot just say, OK, thats it, its over, and start a new life of socialising and flirting, and all that rigmarole. All that I wanted was peace, and the memories.
It was two years before I started to play squash again. We had layed together you see, Debra and I. And it is only in the last few months that I have felt like re-entering society, as you might say. And then only because I know that is what she would want, for me to move on, meet someone, and be happy. I am sorry if I seem a little morose, but you did ask. Really Elizabeth, I am over it now, I will never forget her, and always will love her, but, well you know that I am sure."


I see that she is looking closely at me, not in sympathy, but something akin to it I think.

"And as for the scarves, if you really want to know, I will tell you."

She seems unsure, then nods her head imperceptibly almost.

"I was working late one night, and Debra came to join me, it was summer, all she wore was a tiny summer dress, and a beautiful black silk scaf around her neck. She was feeling a little frisky shall we say, and teasing me outrageously. Well, I am man, and could only take so much, I ended up tying her wrists together, and we, made love, here on the desk. She left the scarf here as a memento, to remember that night. Now, as you see, I have six mementoes .
So, there you are Elizabeth, you asked, the lawyer answered. And,as much as I would like to continue our little chat Elizabeth, sadly,time has overtaken us."


I say, looking at my watch, and knowing a client is due in five minutes time.
 
Last edited:
"I was working late one night, and Debra came to join me, it was summer, all she wore was a tiny summer dress, and a beautiful black silk scaf around her neck. She was feeling a little frisky shall we say, and teasing me outrageously. Well, I am man, and could only take so much, I ended up tying her wrists together, and we, made love, here on the desk. She left the scarf here as a memento, to remember that night. Now, as you see, I have six mementoes .
So, there you are Elizabeth, you asked, the lawyer answered. As much as I would like to continue our little chat Elizabeth, sadly,time has overtaken us."


Taking a moment to compose my embarrassment and bit of surprise that he did answer my question, I pretend to look at my watch. Finally, Roger moves from the table and begins to gather up the dishes. "I'll get them, you have a client arriving very soon." Pushing back my chair, extending my hand for the plate that Roger is holding, his fingers brush mine and I feel a small sliver of electricity sparkle between us.

Gathering the remaining dishes as Roger walks away, I look over at him, "Thank you for answering my question. I find myself curious about things I don't understand and well, the scarves...," I hesitate, noticing Roger's brow lift, "well, Alan and I were not real adventurous in our marriage, so what you told me just seems a bit odd. Thank you and I'll try not to get so personnal." He smiled at me and nodded, giving me the impression that he hadn't mind telling me about the scarves and I feel myself relax somewhat.

Moving away towards the small kitchenette, I hear Roger greet the client that had just walked in. As I wash the delicate china my thoughts move from the scarves to the desk and back again. Wondering what something like that would be like, I feel myself imagining a lovely scarf wrapped around my wrists and someone who I trusted enough, making love to me. Roger's face comes to mind and I quickly drop one of the forks back into the soapy water. "Oh my," I whisper and quickly return to washing, rinsing, then drying and putting away the dishes.

Smoothing my skirt down, I glance at my appearance in the Sheraton Mirror and roll my eyes, thinking to myself, "What else could go wrong?" My hand grabs a towel and I press it against my right breast, trying to soak up the water that had dripped on it from doing the dishes. Realizing that the wet stain was set, and would dry off in time, I toss the towel, with a frustrated growl back towards the sink. Squaring my shoulders I walk back to the office.

Making my hellos to the client, his eyes run down my body, noticing the wet stain on my blouse and smiles knowingly at me. My face beats red and Roger's voice reaches out to me, his eyes alight with humor, he tells me that he won't be needing me for this meeting.

Sensing he feels my relief, I grab my suit jacket and slip it on, then head towards my office shutting the door behind me. Making it to the Louis XVI sofa, I stumble into my seat and wrap my arms around my stomach, before I am overcome with laughter and my giggling I'm sure is heard by the gentleman outside.
 
Last edited:
I smile to myself, as my ear picks up the sound of Elizabeth giggling. Guessing that she knows we both saw the wet patch on her blouse. Nothing passes between myself and the client on the matter though, we are strictly business.

After he leaves, I sit thinking quietly, Elizabeth`s question about the scarf, has re -gnited memories. Leaving me feeling a little lost once more. I know she did not mean anything by the question, and it even seems thta she has led a somewwhat sheltered life, in the sexual context. My God, she should see some of my files, thet things that some people get up to would curl her toes.

But that is another story, for now, all I want to do is remember, and think, of happy days, now so long ago. Then it happens, as it always does, words phrases, enter my mind. Circling in a maelstrom of indecision. The stanzas self forming, self effacing, and there is nought that I can do, but put pen to paper.



I whisper her name in the darkness
through rustle of silken, once blessed
trace red deep mahogany outline,
where memory burn on the desk

The face ever there, ever lonely
with eyes for my dark, set to peer.
Was it I did gaze upon heaven?
yet now, always there, never here.



I put down the pen, and look at the words, not seeing them, yet feeling every syllable deep in my soul. I need air, a walk in the sunshine, something, just to clear my brain.

"Elizabeth, I am just going for a short walk, there is something that I need to get clear in my mind, I wont be long."

I am outside before she can reply, just a gentle stroll around the block, and then, back to reality I hope.
 
Hearing Roger's voice and the door shut quickly behind him, I see him pass infront of the window by my office. Stepping to the window, I watch him till he leaves my line of vision. Sighing to myself, I move back to my desk, and make calls to confirm appointments.

The calls are quick and most all of them are confirmed with only two being rescheduled. Looking over at the ficus, I realize that the plants in my office as well as throughout the office of Mr. Pendleton and the smaller rooms are in need of deperate watering. The leaves of my own plant are wilted and need to be trimmed of their brown diseased state.

Getting up, I head out of the office and over to the supply closet. Moving into the bathroom, I fill the 1800's antique porcelian water can with luke warm water. Moving throughout the rooms, watering the ficus plants, the gardenias, the spathiphylum and the violets. As I pass behind Roger's desk, my eyes are drawn to the drawer with the scarves, biting my lip, I refuse to give into the urge to hold one.

Placing the jar back in the supply closet, I pause talking outloud to myself. "This is a lovely piece of porcelian, I think I'll keep it out as a decorative piece. No need to leave it hidden away." Placing the pitcher on the marble table we had used for lunch, I decide to keep it there and leave the Andromeda vase on the window sill.

Turning back I see a stack of files on Roger's desk, knowing that these will need to be taken care of sooner or later I pick them up. Looking down I see the lovely words of poetry. Reading them, I feel as if I've learned a little more about my boss, and I find myself liking what I'm discovering so far.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top