Does feedback change your writing?

MathGirl

Cogito
Joined
Aug 4, 2002
Posts
5,825
No, not in the least. Most persons who write to me about something I've written just give their opinion of the story. That's usually positive, and who doesn't like a compliment? Some want to play cyber grab ass, but I ignore those.

I seldom get any criticism, especially negative. There are those who always complain about things like: "I hate your story because it has anal sex." or "I hate stories that don't have anal sex."

When someone sends cogent criticism, I ignore it. I don't write for the readers, and I don't need someone telling me how I should write. When I post something, it's more or less as I want it. It's always free of spelling and grammatical errors, so there's no room for criticism there. If someone doesn't like my style or subject, I don't care.
MG
 
Last edited:
Well, bully for you, Maths.

Repeat-o gal here: I don't care either. Once in a great while I get some good constructive criticism and keep it in mind for next time. But most, even the good and constructive, I don't agree with.

Mlle. says I don't get sicko feedback because my stories are too literate for the literarily challenged; my kind of compliment.

Glad we all know where you stand.

Perdita ;)

p.s. after a few serious posts, will you let this become a silly thread? We need them. xo's
 
What feedback?

I ignore "I couldn't stay awake to read to the end of page 1" and the abusive "Why didn't he just sock her on the jaw" which doesn't leave much to influence anything.

I'll just carry on as I normally do and inflict such horrors as "The Worst Chain Story Ever Chap 01", Donna, The Vinyl Dress and other masterpieces of my boring output.

Feedback will not deter me from writing; feedback will not depress me; feedback will not influence me; feedback will not encourage me to prostitute my art and actually write stories that people want to read.

A recalcitrant Og
 
Originally posted by perdita after a few serious posts, will you let this become a silly thread?
Dear Perdita,
I don't think you need to worry. Have you ever known one of my threads not to degererate?

I only started this because I got a long message from someone who is apparently a serious writer. He went to a lot of trouble to instruct me in how I really wanted to say what I said. I almost replied with a, "Piss off, mofo," but I didn't. I'm polite that way, you know.
MG
Ps. Dear Og,
It's nice to hear from someone who is secure in his art. I'm sure DurtGurl would agree. She's sleeping off a bender, though, and is unavailable for comment.
 
Last edited:
My most entertaining feedback was a male who thought my character was "too well developed". He had lots of picky concerns, long long note, then the funny clincher:

He asked if I'd like to collaborate on a story with him!!!

I declined politely, then he sent me a ten page draft. I think it took a couple more, still polite, messages for him to get that I would not work with him.

Perd :rolleyes:
 
Stunned and amazed.

MathGirl said:
When someone sends cogent criticism, I ignore it.
MG

I've been dying to get critical feedback. Please send me all of your critical feedback and I'll forward all the positive stuff that I get.

I guess I am the antithesis of MG. I'm not perfect yet, but trying hard to get there and I need all the help I can get. For me there is no value in positive feedback and infinite value in the negative/critical. Whether it tells me something about the reader or provides constructive help, there is everything to be gained by it. Positive feedback can only serve to inflate the ego (and I've been trying hard to remove mine for quite some time.)

I know I am unusual this way, but MG's post highlights something we (perhaps) should be talking about:

On other threads, there is much discussion of the kinds of feedback or LACK thereof. I still say "thank you" to the positive ones I don't like to receive, in consideration of those that have made the effort to reply, and to not discourage that person from perhaps sending feedback to others in the future.

If there's nothing hatefilled or whacko in a feedback email, should we not feel obliged to reply kindly?

OR maybe as another thread to inspire conflict:

Now that I think of it, I've gotten kind replies from every (obviously) male author I've sent (positive) notes to, but I am finding only about 20% reply rate from the female authors.

whatsupwitdat?

OC
 
La imperfecta

Originally posted by Op_Cit I guess I am the antithesis of MG. I'm not perfect yet, but trying hard to get there and I need all the help I can get.
Dear Op,
My statement that I ignore criticism IN NO WAY implied that I consider myself flawless. I'm perfectly aware of my shortcomings, and I'm the first to admit that I'm a mediocre writer. I'm also stubborn, recalcitrant, uncooperative, and do not play well with others. I maintain a steely resolve to remain that way.

My point is that I don't need someone to tell me, "What you really meant to say was......." Horse shit! I wrote it that way, and that's excatly what I meant to say.
Harumph,
MG
 
I can't say I particularly adapt my writing for a readers sake. There is probably one person who hates it for every person who likes it, you'll never placate and satisfy every single possible reader who views your work. So why bother???

I do take notice if it is constructive criticism, like if a reader says "hey this was a little too long" etc. And usually I'd only act on it if a couple of similar messages about the same story reach my box ....

In the end I write for myself and a small group of loyal readers who seem to give me feedback for most of my stuff. I also have two readers who read everything I write before I submit it, much like editors, and they tell me what they liked, etc, and what could be improved .....

Back to writing ....

Fly ...
 
Re: Re: Does feedback change your writing?

Originally posted by Op_Cit Now that I think of it, I've gotten kind replies from every (obviously) male author I've sent (positive) notes to, but I am finding only about 20% reply rate from the female authors.
Dear OC,
I always reply to thank readers for feedback. Well, not the ones who just want to me to ......... their ...... inch ...........
MG
 
Does feedback change your writting?

No! But when you have people in the "LIT" Posting things about you that are not true and have acused you of being something you are not......YES your writting changes. I have requested one of my stories be deleted. I am also putting my last nonconsent story on hold. I am going to stop putting material in the nonconsent area. As far as my writting.......who knows. Time will tell.

I do think it's funny that even in a place like this......people still can't write a story without getting judged by the same people who are part of it.
 
Re: Does feedback change your writting?

americandemon said:
No! But when you have people in the "LIT" Posting things about you that are not true and have acused you of being something you are not......YES your writting changes. I have requested one of my stories be deleted. I am also putting my last nonconsent story on hold. I am going to stop putting material in the nonconsent area. As far as my writting.......who knows. Time will tell.

I do think it's funny that even in a place like this......people still can't write a story without getting judged by the same people who are part of it.

Hey AD if you can find anywhere where you can do anything at all w/o judgements being passed tell me where it is. There's always going to be conflict and judgement it's human nature. Take it in stride.


To respond to the thread, no I don't let the responses change my writting. If a reader sends criticism about grammatical errors or spelling mistakes I or an editor may have missed then I take note. Otherwise I{generally} ignore the feedback saying I should change my style or characters. I've always valued others opions but I've never let them dictate any portion of my life.
 
Since I have currently received 2(two) feedback messages, I would have to say no. Of course, I have only posted two stories and they are really chap 1 & 2, so there may be a good reason for my low response.

However, having a story out there and wanting feedback has made me more inclined to give feedback. That's a good thing.
 
I understand the need for proof reading and editing, but I see this as an opportunity to put a story out there. If I want it published I would do it myself. Most readers ignore all the spelling and grammer errors and stick with the story. The story is what's important to me.

I've read a lot of well written boring crap, and some poorly written hot tails. I like stories that make me want to jump on a piece of ass, not one that will act as a sleeping pill.
 
Re: Does feedback change your writting?

americandemon said:
No! But when you have people in the "LIT" Posting things about you that are not true and have acused you of being something you are not......YES your writting changes. I have requested one of my stories be deleted. I am also putting my last nonconsent story on hold. I am going to stop putting material in the nonconsent area. As far as my writting.......who knows. Time will tell.

I do think it's funny that even in a place like this......people still can't write a story without getting judged by the same people who are part of it.

AD,

Keep writing the way you do. Aim towards self fulfillment. The is a playground for those of many characters. Just do what pleases you.

Waiting to change my AV to another shot of the anaconda.
 
Am I influanced by feedback?

Absolutely. Does it effect how I write? No. Why should it? I write for me, and edit for the readers. That's all any author can do. After that it's just a matter of taste, their's, and mine.

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man
 
Last edited:
Yes and no. My stories are already fully sprung, at least in my head, before I write them and by the time they're done I'm so sick of them the last thing I'd do is go back and work on them again. So really emails have no influence on something I've already posted.

But they can make me think about new work. For instance there's a story I wrote a while ago called Setting The Wall. It's pretty grim and doesn't have my usual happily ever after ending. Readers howled about that and though I wouldn't consider rewriting it, I am working on sequel not because I want to appease them, but some of their comments made me realize I'd left some things hanging and I started to think. Always a dangerous exercise for me.

Jayne
 
Sometimes feedback does change how I will write the next chapter if it's not already done. I have had a suggestion or two from feedback that I actually hadn't thought of and just had to throw in the suggestion.

I won't however alter the story from it's main direction if it's a multiparter. But in general a suggestion here or there that strikes my fancy is always appreciated. Except of course those that say, please stop writing you suck. LOL.
 
BlackSnake said:
I understand the need for proof reading and editing, but I see this as an opportunity to put a story out there. If I want it published I would do it myself. Most readers ignore all the spelling and grammer errors and stick with the story. The story is what's important to me.

I've read a lot of well written boring crap, and some poorly written hot tails. I like stories that make me want to jump on a piece of ass, not one that will act as a sleeping pill.


Some people do have the ability to do both. I don't like to read stories that are too wordy, or pretentious. In the same breath I cannot sit down and read a story that is full of spelling mistakes and glaring grammatical errors. My eyes won't see past them, and let me get into the story.

Yes, the story is important, but it does have to be written to a decent standard. Imaginative, succint writing with a very good flow is what I like to read, and that's what I try to create.

The only feedback that would, and has, ever changed my writing is from fellow writers whom I admire and respect. I guess I would also take on board a critique from anyone, provided the critique itself was well written and made some constructive points.

My piece of advice: turn your bloody spellcheckers on!

Lou :rose:
 
What is feedback?

I think my feedback ratio is one item of feedback for every five items posted....:p
 
Well, I've just received one criticism saying I used too much profane language in one paragraph. After looking at the mail, and thinking a bit, I went back to the story and saw that it was stilll the way I wanted it (yes, i am like that), and I was happy with the way it was. I couldnt help thinking though, "they called it garbage because of that? hmm. go figure." And after all the pains I went through to make it as grammatically correct as possible. I really don't think it will change the way I express myself to people. If it was constructive, I would try to absorb it and make it a better part of my output.

Oh well.
 
I get 3 types of feedback:

  1. The Positive Feedback: "I liked your story. Keep up the good work!"
  2. The Suggestive Feedback: "I've got a plot bunny for you..."
  3. The Moronic Feedback: "How CAN you have sex with a black man???"
    [/list=1]

    I save the first category in a special folder, and take them out to read when I want to cheer myself up.

    I go through the second category, and if the idea seems interesting, I might write such a story, if not, then it disappears into Cyberspace.

    And I post the last category in AH, and ridicule the words and their author as much as I can.

    :)
 
Usually I'm finished writing a story before I post it. Once in a while, someone might mention something about a particular scene that changes how I might write something similar in the future, but it rarely has anything to do with the actual plot.
 
Oh Gee, it looks like I am going to be the only one who says, Yes, feedback changes the way I write a story.

When something I am writing is still in draft form, I have two main outlets for serious feedback.

First, is the mailing lists at the Erotica Readers & Writers Association, http://www.erotica-readers.com/. I email a story out to the group and then members send me their opinions. I also offer my critiques on stories other send out. The people on this list view writing erotica as an art, and I take all crits I recieve from this group seriously.

My second outlet is an in person erotica writing group for women. We meet every week to read a story or poem that one of us has written, then we discuss it over coffee.

I view both of these outlets as a marketing focus group type of thing. If people comment on a particular paragraph, good or bad, I try to expand on it. If they do not comment on another section, I try to delete it or edit it down.

I give bad criticizm the same weight as I give good criticizm. I figure that if something I wrote moved someone to talk about it, that's all I need.
 
Back
Top