The Today Sponge

Suzins

Experienced
Joined
Oct 8, 2002
Posts
56
Last week I used the Today's Sponge for the first time as a method of birth control. Now this week, it would appear that I have somesort of a bladder infection. Feeling like I need to urinate all the time and not being able to stop the sensation when I am actually finished.

Now two things....now has anybody else ever used the Today's Sponge and had the same thing happen?

And I can't make it to see a doctor or to a clinic until Saturday at the earliest. So is there anything I could be taking herbally or over the counter to minimize discomfort...or is there a chance this will clear up on it's own?
 
Not that this really helps, but my wife used to use it and it did sometimes cause a burning sensation for me afterwards. She never had any issues with it, only me. I guess some people are just more sensitive then others.

Is it back on the market again in the US?

Opps just noticed you are a little north of the US. :)
 
It very likely could be a mild allergic reaction to the chemicals they use in the sponge.

I would keep yourself well hydrated and not use that again until you have the opportunity to see a doctor. Bring the sponge with you, too. Could be that something got into the sponge besides the spermicide stuff.

Ang
 
When my wife used the sponge a number of years ago she developed yeast infections very frequently. They are quite uncomfortable and tend to put one out of sexual commission for a while. Neither of us was very happy.

As soon as she stopped using them the yeast infections stopped as well, so the linkage was very clear to us.
 
When my wife used the sponge a number of years ago she developed yeast infections very frequently. They are quite uncomfortable and tend to put one out of sexual commission for a while. Neither of us was very happy.

As soon as she stopped using them the yeast infections stopped as well, so the linkage was very clear to us.

Used to use them and never had any trouble at all. I'd look up the chemicals in them and research - or ask a gyno for sure.
 
Cranberry juice for certain, and if you've a pharmacy, you can get something called Azo Standard. It's OTC and treats UTI symptoms really well.

See it here...

Good luck,

~Red
 
Drink lots and lots of cranberry juice.

Cakegirl

Great idea but it can be hard finding juice that's 100% Cranberry. And if you do find it (no sugar added) the taste is almost unbearable.

Cranberry suppliments are concentrated so they pack more of a healing punch and are much easier to take as long as you don't have a problem swallowing gell capsules.
 
Cranberry juice for certain, and if you've a pharmacy, you can get something called Azo Standard. It's OTC and treats UTI symptoms really well.

See it here...

Good luck,

~Red

I agree with the azo and planty of cranberry juice. Also tons of water and try to staw away from dairy or caffeine in case it is a bladder infection. But you may also be suffering from a sexually transmitted infection, such as bacterial vaginosis. Even if your syptoms clear up, be sure to see your doctor to explain what's going on and get proper treatment. An infection can linger even if no tell tale signs are apparent, and you do not want to do any long term damage to your body that can easily be prevented. Good luck:)
 
Baking soda baths, or oatmeal baths.

I used the sponge years ago, and it can change your vaginal ph, also some of the spermicide can be pushed up your urethra during sex which is what I suspect happened.

My urology thinks cranberry juice can make cystitis worse in some women as it can be an irritant so if it doesn't work stop taking it.
 
I'm not surprised they didn't catch on. I tried them, just the one, when they first came out and had a bad experience with it. I put it in the wrong way round then found I couldn't get it back out. I can laugh about it now but it wasn't very funny at the time, especially when I tried to get it and all I was doing was pulling bits of sponge out. Sounds gross, right? It was.
 
Sponge

I used the sponge for years with no problems. I liked it because you could put it in in advance and it was good for more than one time. However, the nonoxynol-9 can irritate some women and men.

The term spongeworthy came from Elaine during the time when the sponge was not available in the US. She had saved up and a guy she wanted to sleep with had to be songeworthy so she would not waste one.
 
Back
Top