Uh-oh...Help? My kids are going to kill me for this...

sheath

Literotica Guru
Hello, hello.

A few hours ago, I realized the little hamsters that belong to my children have gone AWOL. Apparently part of their cage was ajar, and they disappeared. No sign of the little critters.

So...I'm wondering...I'm not sure how to find them. I know they are in this house. Somewhere. I've moved furniture, crawled along baseboards, looked in every little cozy place I can think of. Any ideas? Is there anything in particular that would draw them out from hiding places? Once they get out, are they really gone for good?

Another problem is that they are dwarf hamsters. They are only about three inches long when they are full-grown, and these are smaller than that.

I know I'm going to get all sorts of comments about the 'gerbil and Richard Gere' jokes...but this is a really serious question. My kids are going to be SO upset when they notice this! There's probably nothing else I can do, I know...but it's worth a shot to ask, right?

Can anyone help?

Thanks. :rose:

S.

Thanks, both of you. I put down a litte dish of food, so thanks for that advice. I'm hoping at least one of them shows up. There were five. :(

I DO have a cat, but the strange thing is...she's terrified of those little hamsters. She will run and freak out if I get her near their cage. Leave it to me to have a cat who is mortally afraid of mice and such. *sigh* But I'm watching HER, too...I figure, if she runs, I can find one! ;)

S.

(Who is staring at a bowl of hamster food...)

Re: so ya gonna stare at a bowl of hamster food.

Tiger_n_NJ said:
<On the count of three youll be asleep>

Damn there one goes......

*groan*

Oh, dammit, now I can't go to sleep tonight!

:p

S.

another option is sound. turn off everything in the house, radios, loud fans, etc... then listen for the sounds of movement or squeeks if they do that...

GOT ONE!

Got one, got one, got one. The little fucker tried to run from me. NO SIR. I nailed his ass just before he went back behind the bookcase. :D

I put the food on a hardwood floor...that's how I heard him. That little shuffling sound when he walked. :)

Great ideas! Thanks!

S.

TNRkitect2b said:
another option is sound. turn off everything in the house, radios, loud fans, etc... then listen for the sounds of movement or squeeks if they do that...

I've just done it...even the air-conditioning, which means it is hot as HELL down here, but hey. This is actually getting to be kind of fun.

I just hope I can find them all. :eek:

S.

the thought of you scrambling around on your hands and knees across a hardwood floor.....:D :devil:

glad you found one... now for the rest...;)

good luck!

TNRkitect2b said:
the thought of you scrambling around on your hands and knees across a hardwood floor.....:D :devil:

Ha. In the Delta heat, no less, wearing nothing but an old t-shirt and panties?

:devil:

Damn...if I'm not careful, I'm going to hijack my own thread.

Back to the hunt!

S.

Antinomy said:
Have-a-hart traps?

Ummm...

Are those the traps that catch mice by allowing them to go in, but not allowing them to get out? The ones that don't hurt them at all?

That is a good idea. :)

S.

I have only had experinces with gerbils,guinea pigs, & newts not hamsters but here goes:

Put tubes like toilet paper rolls, paper towel tubes, waste baskets cans on their sides all over the place with a bit of food in them. Small animals usually want to go and hide. What is their favorite snack? maybe put a bit in the hiding places you create. Waste baskets are nice because you can hear them run into them. Under beds and furniture, usually places you can't easily get to or see.

Newts were prone to being inside shoes or hanging around the toilet base, probably due to moisture.

GPs come running when you rustle plastic bags (ie there could be carrots in those bags, and a GP will do about anything for a carrot and any bad behavior could have been easily avoided if they only had a carrot ;))

Gerbils were found in laundry baskets, behind the piano and once the hot air ductwork in the basement, we could hear it running in it. My dad took it apart to "rescue" it.

Hope you find them.

Noor said:
Put tubes like toilet paper rolls, paper towel tubes, waste baskets cans on their sides all over the place with a bit of food in them. Small animals usually want to go and hide. What is their favorite snack? maybe put a bit in the hiding places you create. Waste baskets are nice because you can hear them run into them. Under beds and furniture, usually places you can't easily get to or see.

WOW. Thanks! I'm going to do that next.

Shit. My house is starting to look like a lab experiment involving small animals. Which isn't far from the truth!

:rolleyes:

S.

sheath said:
WOW. Thanks! I'm going to do that next.

Shit. My house is starting to look like a lab experiment involving small animals. Which isn't far from the truth!

:rolleyes:

S.

If you set their cage on the floor, they will come home eventually, if they haven't gone too far....

Johnny Mayberry said:
If you set their cage on the floor, they will come home eventually, if they haven't gone too far....

I want to do that...but the problem is, not all of them got out. And I'm not sure what to do with the other ones.

I'm hearing a little noise from underneath the couch. Guess what that might be? Wanna guess? Betcha can guess! :D

S.

Who is running off to find more hamsters...

sheath said:
I want to do that...but the problem is, not all of them got out. And I'm not sure what to do with the other ones.

I'm hearing a little noise from underneath the couch. Guess what that might be? Wanna guess? Betcha can guess! :D

S.

Who is running off to find more hamsters...

just think... all this exercise is working out the soreness from last night!:D :p

Hamsters are nocturnal, so they like things dark. It's not going to help you to stay awake while you've turned off the lights, the sounds, etc. but it might help, all the same.

Chuckwrox said:
Hamsters are nocturnal, so they like things dark. It's not going to help you to stay awake while you've turned off the lights, the sounds, etc. but it might help, all the same.

Very good point! I'm getting ready to go to bed, and I'm thinking about taking that little dish of food and putting it just inside my bedroom door. I'm a pretty light sleeper most of the time, and maybe I would hear them if they made enough noise? They seem to make one hell of a lot of noise across the hardwood. :)

Thanks, all. I'm going to sweep the house one more time (just call me Hamster SWAT), and then hope they choose to have an early morning snack. :D

S.

Sheath crawling around all sweaty in her panties & a shirt looking for hampsters...
must...
resist...
obvious....
joke.....

When I was a kid one of my hamsters got loose. Spent the whole afternoon looking for him and I finally found - in the bottom of the couch! Needless to say neither mom nor pop were pleased with having to rip off the bottom cloth thingie on the couch just so Chele could dig out her hampster.

Good thought to make the house as dim/dark as possible and try to keep it quiet. You'll hear 'em alright. Might be best to have an old shoe box or something to throw over them. Better than crawling around on your knees, though the picture is awfully fun to imagine!

Or, perhaps you can tell yor kids you've developed a new game for them: Find the Hampster. The kid to find the most gets ________ whatever you are willing to do so they don't get upset.

Good luck, Sheath! I know what a tricky endeavor this can be!

Back