Do you live with chronic pain?

Naughty n Nice

I quit lit
This is a serious thread that I hope will be a success. I live with chronic pain and I'm interested in chatting with other people who also live with chronic pain. I'm hoping that we can offer each other some support and exchange ideas on how to cope.

My mother

has fibromyalgia and osteoperosis (sp?). She is unable to take many of the available medications as her blood pressure meds interfere with them.

She lives with chronic pain. I felt for her the other day as she asked me, "What does it feel like to wake in the morning and feel good? It has been so long, I have forgotten."

Many thoughts with anyone struggling with chronic pain. It isn't just a matter of the hurt, but what it can do to you mentally can be equally as detrimental.

Mental fatigue and sleeplessness can so maim your psyche as to emotionally cripple a person.

Find what joy you can in life.
Find whatever means necessary to fight the pain and fatigue,
Try, I know it is difficult, but try to think positive and move forward.

Many hugs to all

Yes I have acid reflux and some of the things I eat can drive my stomach to great amounts of pain. The meds I"m on now seem to help a bit, but there are times when the meds just dont cut it.. *ugh* Hence the reason I'm pretty conservative on my drinking style, at least I'll never have to worry about being an alcoholic.

Emerald_eyed said:
I have some degenerated disks in my back and lemme try this one

Chondro malicia patella in my knee, basically my knee joint rubs on my knee cap roughining it up and causing lightening bolts of pain when I walk up and down stairs.
It has ceased amazingly with excersise.

Em, chondromalasia is one of the problems I've got with me knees. When they went in they shaved the underside of my kneecaps so they no longer resemble the grand canyon.

Re: My mother

MissTaken said:
has fibromyalgia and osteoperosis (sp?). She is unable to take many of the available medications as her blood pressure meds interfere with them.

She lives with chronic pain. I felt for her the other day as she asked me, "What does it feel like to wake in the morning and feel good? It has been so long, I have forgotten."

Many thoughts with anyone struggling with chronic pain. It isn't just a matter of the hurt, but what it can do to you mentally can be equally as detrimental.

Mental fatigue and sleeplessness can so maim your psyche as to emotionally cripple a person.

Find what joy you can in life.
Find whatever means necessary to fight the pain and fatigue,
Try, I know it is difficult, but try to think positive and move forward.

Many hugs to all

Thank you MissWonderful for your input. You couldn't be more right. That's why I'm online all day. It serves as a vehicle of distraction, human interaction, and it makes the day fly by. Psyche problems are always present in someone who lives with pain day in and day out. Btw, I do the same thing as your Mom. I always ask people if they feel what I feel. I've lost touch with how it's supposed to feel. I, too, have huge problems with meds. A former doctor had me overdosed on narcotics, so now I have such a tolerance built up that nothing works. I'm allergic to non steroidal anti inflammatories, like advil, nuprin, motrin. I, too, have high blood pressure, so it's a catch 22! :confused:

Emerald_eyed said:

SO thats how its spelled??

This is the surgery thats causing your pain? Geezus, I dont think I wanna g through with it now! They have been contiplating shaving the underside.

No, that's not what is causing the excruciating pain. It's the 3" incision he made in the ligament that has me seeing stars. (it's called a lateral release)

dengenerative disc disease( i have lost about 7 or 8 now), fibro, and already had the surgery on the knee due to the chrondo.

they went in and realigned the kneecap for me, i wouldn't allow the shaving until they at least tried to put it on back on track.

there is a fibro site and i will see if i can't find the link and post it here.

LordMagicMan said:
Yes I have acid reflux and some of the things I eat can drive my stomach to great amounts of pain. The meds I"m on now seem to help a bit, but there are times when the meds just dont cut it.. *ugh* Hence the reason I'm pretty conservative on my drinking style, at least I'll never have to worry about being an alcoholic.

Well there's an optimistic look at it! lol Several times every single day I tell myself, "hey, be grateful you have two legs to walk on". It's not always easy to do, esp when I'm ready to amputate them, but it's important to stay grounded and realize things could always be worse.

Native Alien said:
dengenerative disc disease( i have lost about 7 or 8 now), fibro, and already had the surgery on the knee due to the chrondo.

they went in and realigned the kneecap for me, i wouldn't allow the shaving until they at least tried to put it on back on track.

and for the all the fibro sufferers try this site:

www.e-fibro.org

lots of support and useful info there.

I supposedly have fibro too, but I don't like how they toss anything they don't understand into 'fibro'
I also have arthritis, a bulging disc, mishapen spine, a congenital fusion.....in my neck. When I'm not focused on my knees, my neck causes me a lot of pain.
And if that's not enough.....I have a bad back. I sprain it on a regular basis :rolleyes:
My knee problems have caused me pain all the way from my feet to my hips, to my back.

Naughty n Nice said:

Well there's an optimistic look at it! lol Several times every single day I tell myself, "hey, be grateful you have two legs to walk on". It's not always easy to do, esp when I'm ready to amputate them, but it's important to stay grounded and realize things could always be worse.

Stay strong! They'll heal and you'll be up and around in no time. Have faith! you gotta have faith a faith a faith a

here is the link for the Fibro site:

www.efibro.com

i know the feeling about being thankful for every day. and yes, it could be worse, it could always be worse.

LordMagicMan said:

Stay strong! They'll heal and you'll be up and around in no time. Have faith! you gotta have faith a faith a faith a

Thanks sweetie. I have to have a balance of optimism and realism. They will be better, but they'll never be 'normal' or strong. God I'm glad I started this thread!!!!!!! :D

Hi Nasty!

So glad you put the thread up!

I live with pain daily too, I have degenerative discs in my neck - 4th and 5th cervical vertebrate. It's been about 7 years now, and was likely caused by a mild whiplash I got when I was 18... I'm 45 now.

I ate so many advil that I started getting serious side effects... my body temperature would rise to 102, frightening heart palpitations all day, and complete loss of energy. I mean utterly dragging. I was surprised when I finally quit the advil that the symptoms went away. Checked with my bro-in-law, a pharmacist, who found my reactions buried deep down on the medicine advisory papers. I was once sent to get hyperthyroid tests done because of the overheating.. <grins> Course it was negative...

Tylenol doesn't work at all. Asprin tears the stomach up.

One neurologist had me on Limbitrol, an antidepressant... the rationalization that if I felt better overall, the pain wouldn't be as bad. This concept does actually work in some cases.

Currently using Phrenelin, a migrane medicine, to keep the pain to a bearable level so I can function. It's a barbituate, but very mild, not as addictive as codeine. I also take wellbutrin, but that's to help me quit smoking. The combo of the two do better than the phrenelin alone...

Lets see, what does my pain feel like? Like my head is a 50 pound bowling ball, and I'm struggling to balance it all the time. Compression... sometimes all I can do is go lay down...

I get mad sometimes because I feel like I'm too young to be saddled with this shit for the rest of my life.

Re: Re: My mother

Naughty n Nice said:

I, too, have huge problems with meds. A former doctor had me overdosed on narcotics, so now I have such a tolerance built up that nothing works. I'm allergic to non steroidal anti inflammatories, like advil, nuprin, motrin. I, too, have high blood pressure, so it's a catch 22! :confused:

N n N; My heart goes out to you, and to others who suffer thru life with chronic pain. I am blessed in that the only chronic pain I suffer is having to get up so damned early to go into work and the separation from MY-Sir. Please forgive me if I come off as being flippant. I'm not belittling your's or anyone's condition. Only trying to say that I am fortunate to be healthy.
On the subject of anti-infammatories, I ran across one in a health food store years ago, when I would strain muscles playing ball. I don't like taking over the counter meds, so I was pleased when I found a product that is natural and seems to work. Its called Lig-a-tend, and as I stated above, its all natural. The anti-inflammatory in it is actually derived from pineapples. Bromiline (sp.?). It aslo has some B vitamins which helps in nerve repair. I've used it for stress related neck problems to monthly cramps. I've also taken some to MY-Sir, and HE thought that it helped somewhat with HIS back problems.
I don't know if it will help you, but thought I'd give my $.02.
I hope that if you decide to give it a try, it helps to ease some of the pain.:heart:

-kym- :)

Well, i don't know if you will consider it chronic pain, but here goes...

Major back problems, when i'm working (like i'm ever not) all i have to bend over and the pain almost makes me pass out, going down ladders at work takes my breath from the pain of the impact, and riding motorcycles kinda whent out of the picture after i hit a bump and the pain made me pass out and wreck.

My left knee is fucked from a football injury and i can't afford surgery so stairs kinda screw with it, along with running wich caused the injury in the first place. And my right knee is pretty screwed up too from being stepped on by my horse after being bucked off.

I live with my pain instead of using meds, i don't know why other than i take it as a challenge, to see if i can make it the whole day with out having to take Aspirin or anything. Makes for an interesting day when i don't, and an even more trippy day when i do.

Arden said:
Hi Nasty!

So glad you put the thread up!

I live with pain daily too, I have degenerative discs in my neck - 4th and 5th cervical vertebrate. It's been about 7 years now, and was likely caused by a mild whiplash I got when I was 18... I'm 45 now.

I ate so many advil that I started getting serious side effects... my body temperature would rise to 102, frightening heart palpitations all day, and complete loss of energy. I mean utterly dragging. I was surprised when I finally quit the advil that the symptoms went away. Checked with my bro-in-law, a pharmacist, who found my reactions buried deep down on the medicine advisory papers. I was once sent to get hyperthyroid tests done because of the overheating.. <grins> Course it was negative...

Tylenol doesn't work at all. Asprin tears the stomach up.

One neurologist had me on Limbitrol, an antidepressant... the rationalization that if I felt better overall, the pain wouldn't be as bad. This concept does actually work in some cases.

Currently using Phrenelin, a migrane medicine, to keep the pain to a bearable level so I can function. It's a barbituate, but very mild, not as addictive as codeine. I also take wellbutrin, but that's to help me quit smoking. The combo of the two do better than the phrenelin alone...

Lets see, what does my pain feel like? Like my head is a 50 pound bowling ball, and I'm struggling to balance it all the time. Compression... sometimes all I can do is go lay down...

I get mad sometimes because I feel like I'm too young to be saddled with this shit for the rest of my life.

Arden, I hear ya gf!! My knee problems began at birth....and I'm now 33, you do the math :p My neck problems started when I was 17.......... I hate when people say to me, "you're too younge to hurt that much" NO SHIT I AM!! I'm 33 and on social security!! :rolleyes:

oh, and btw, do you even realize you just called me nasty? :p

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: My mother

MY-Sir's-k- said:

N n N; My heart goes out to you, and to others who suffer thru life with chronic pain. I am blessed in that the only chronic pain I suffer is having to get up so damned early to go into work and the separation from MY-Sir. Please forgive me if I come off as being flippant. I'm not belittling your's or anyone's condition. Only trying to say that I am fortunate to be healthy.
On the subject of anti-infammatories, I ran across one in a health food store years ago, when I would strain muscles playing ball. I don't like taking over the counter meds, so I was pleased when I found a product that is natural and seems to work. Its called Lig-a-tend, and as I stated above, its all natural. The anti-inflammatory in it is actually derived from pineapples. Bromiline (sp.?). It aslo has some B vitamins which helps in nerve repair. I've used it for stress related neck problems to monthly cramps. I've also taken some to MY-Sir, and HE thought that it helped somewhat with HIS back problems.
I don't know if it will help you, but thought I'd give my $.02.
I hope that if you decide to give it a try, it helps to ease some of the pain.:heart:

-kym- :)

Kym, thank you for your input. Of course I don't think you're being flip. You're being helpful. I can't wait until I can actually drive so I can look for Lig-a-tend! Does anyone know of a site that you can order such products from online?

Chroco said:
Well, i don't know if you will consider it chronic pain, but here goes...

Major back problems, when i'm working (like i'm ever not) all i have to bend over and the pain almost makes me pass out, going down ladders at work takes my breath from the pain of the impact, and riding motorcycles kinda whent out of the picture after i hit a bump and the pain made me pass out and wreck.

My left knee is fucked from a football injury and i can't afford surgery so stairs kinda screw with it, along with running wich caused the injury in the first place. And my right knee is pretty screwed up too from being stepped on by my horse after being bucked off.

I live with my pain instead of using meds, i don't know why other than i take it as a challenge, to see if i can make it the whole day with out having to take Aspirin or anything. Makes for an interesting day when i don't, and an even more trippy day when i do.

Sounds like chronic pain to me! Be grateful that you can withstand the pain without taking meds! I am so sick of taking a handful of pills 3 times a day!!!

chronic pain at 18

my mom has fibro, and she thinks that I have it also, and I am only 18. it's horrible, I don't have the time to get my pressure points worked out, so I have constant back pain. some of my pain comes from my bad posture, I can't even stand up straight without pain. I popped a synovial joint capsule in my hip a year ago, I still get pain in it from walking or running sometimes. there's a good chance that I will have lupus in my life, becuz my mother has it. my bad posture causes my hips, knees and ankles to be out of alignment. I have breathing problems, which my mom thinks comes from pressure points on my sternum. and besides all the physical problems, I've been suffering from chronic mental pain too...it's a shame to live with depression and aches and pains all my life, knowing that I have many years left to do with them all. sorry if I sounded a bit whiney...it's hard to talk about my problems without getting upset. so I can feel for all of you out there, and I'd be glad to talk to any of you =)

Re: chronic pain at 18

casuallysweet said:
my mom has fibro, and she thinks that I have it also, and I am only 18. it's horrible, I don't have the time to get my pressure points worked out, so I have constant back pain. some of my pain comes from my bad posture, I can't even stand up straight without pain. I popped a synovial joint capsule in my hip a year ago, I still get pain in it from walking or running sometimes. there's a good chance that I will have lupus in my life, becuz my mother has it. my bad posture causes my hips, knees and ankles to be out of alignment. I have breathing problems, which my mom thinks comes from pressure points on my sternum. and besides all the physical problems, I've been suffering from chronic mental pain too...it's a shame to live with depression and aches and pains all my life, knowing that I have many years left to do with them all. sorry if I sounded a bit whiney...it's hard to talk about my problems without getting upset. so I can feel for all of you out there, and I'd be glad to talk to any of you =)

(((HUGS))) CS, it's ok to get whiney in this thread, that's what it's for. I can totally commiserate with you, I've had my chronic pain my whole life. I hope that this thread will be of some help and comfort to you. Sometimes we get so caught up in our pain that we think we're the only one with it. You are not alone! I would be honored to talk about this on the phone with you. At your age, you really need someone, a voice, a human being, to support you. I wish I had had that when I was your age. If this is of interest to you, pm me and I'll give you my phone #, ok sweetie? :rose: :kiss:

Has anyone seen...

...the Larry King (CNN) interview with Jerry Lewis who claims he is free of a 40-year chronic pain after an implant of a devise connecting to his spinal cord?

Whatever one thinks of Mr. Lewis it was/is fascinating.

Re: Has anyone seen...

hogjack said:
...the Larry King (CNN) interview with Jerry Lewis who claims he is free of a 40-year chronic pain after an implant of a devise connecting to his spinal cord?

Whatever one thinks of Mr. Lewis it was/is fascinating.

Very interesting, I've never heard anything about a device like that...

I live with chronic knee pain from a car accident and I've had chronic migraines as far back as 20 years ago. I take 7 different medications a day to treat 4 different problems. Nothing helps the headaches. I've tried every medication out there, and I've even injected myself with Imitrex. I just had my knees scoped 3 weeks ago and I'm still in more pain from that. I thought I had it rough with just the headaches but, then I added in the knee pain and the 16 stairs I have to use every time I have to go to the bathroom and now life, at times, has become unbearable.

Back