Two Poems

Angeline

Poet Chick
Ancient117331 left a plaintive post in Senna Jawa's "Crazy" thread, where he talked about his poem being bumped from the top list and that now it won't be read.

I don't much read the top list myself though I used to, but he's probably right. There's a handful of poets who are vocal here on the forum, who post poems and links who--ergo--are read often.

If you don't do that, how often are your poems read? If you're not on the top list, you probably get relatively few reads except for the day your poem appears on the New Poems list.

If just a few people were to post a link to one poem a week here (that they found on the poetry spinner or came across in their reading), more "unknown" poems would be read.

I'm going to do it. I'll link to one poem a week (well maybe more if I'm in the mood).

And I'll start with Ancient's poem

Loving You....

I'll read, vote, and comment on the poem I link. I'll also read, vote, and comment on at least one other poem per week that someone else links in this thread.

If five people do this, at least 10 poems that wouldn't otherwise get attention will get some exposure. If 10 of you do it, the number goes up and so on.

This is not a thread for feedback, poem dissecting, or arguments about whose poem is better. There are other threads (not to mention a subforum) designed for critique. This is just an opportunity for poems to be read that likely wouldn't otherwise.

How much time does it take to do this with two poems a week? Not much.

Let me recap the rules:

1. Go find a poem you haven't read before. It can be by someone you know, but not the one your best friend wrote and wants you to promote, not the one your secret alt wrote. Randomly find a poem you like.

3. Read, vote, and comment (constructively please :D ) on the poem you choose. Then post a link to it in this thread. And don't feel you have to find a "perfect" poem: the only way the poem you choose reflects on you is that you were a good soul who helped promote poetry here. You earn good karma points. That's about it.

4. Do not critique the poem here. If you want to do that in your comment or pm the poet with your thoughts, that's your business.

5. Read, vote, and comment on at least one other poem that is linked in this thread.

I'll read the next poem that someone links here.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet, poets, so go do the right thing! :D

If just a few people were to post a link to one poem a week here (that they found on the poetry spinner or came across in their reading), more "unknown" poems would be read.

I'm going to do it. I'll link to one poem a week (well maybe more if I'm in the mood).
Welcome to the club, Angie. I've been doing this for how many weeks now? ;)

Good idea Ange. I especially like the rule not spinning for the perfect poem.

I'll play Spinner on an illustrated poem:

Neverending Signs
by Lauren Hynde ©

Last edited by a moderator:
Rybka said:

(You could have explained where to find the spinner! :p )

The best way to randomly choose a poem is by using the "Story Spinner." This can be found in any of the poem indices (except New Poems). Go to the Site Contents page (the one you get when you click on Stories & Pics on Lit's home page), scroll down to "Poetry submissions." If you click on any of the categories listed there (except New poems), you will be taken to the first page of the index for that category. Near the top of the page is a link to "Story Spinner." If you click on it, you are linked randomly to a poem in that category. Here, for example, is the page with the story spinner for Erotic Poems.

When you click the spinner, you get a poem in that category, so if you want an illustrated poem, you must go to the index for illustrated poetry. K?

PS Rybbka has been doing this forever. :D

Last edited:
neonurotic said:
Good idea Ange. I especially like the rule not spinning for the perfect poem.

I'll play Spinner on an illustrated poem:

Neverending Signs
by Lauren Hynde ©

Thanks!

Studied it and commented.

Now will someone else please link a poem for Neo? He looks lonely. :D

I'm watching a thrush bash the hell out of a snail on the path out the back of the house, but while I'm watching I randomly pointed my finger at the screen, came up with Uncle Pervy's TV's Fantasy Sex Goddesses.

I've commented and acknowledge a link is left in this thread to his poem.

Angeline said:
Ancient117331 left a plaintive post in Senna Jawa's "Crazy" thread, where he talked about his poem being bumped from the top list and that now it won't be read.

I don't much read the top list myself though I used to, but he's probably right. There's a handful of poets who are vocal here on the forum, who post poems and links who--ergo--are read often.

If you don't do that, how often are your poems read? If you're not on the top list, you probably get relatively few reads except for the day your poem appears on the New Poems list.

And I'll start with Ancient's poem

Loving You....

I'll read, vote, and comment on the poem I link. I'll also read, vote, and comment on at least one other poem per week that someone else links in this thread.

If five people do this, at least 10 poems that wouldn't otherwise get attention will get some exposure. If 10 of you do it, the number goes up and so on.

This is not a thread for feedback, poem dissecting, or arguments about whose poem is better. There are other threads (not to mention a subforum) designed for critique. This is just an opportunity for poems to be read that likely wouldn't otherwise.

How much time does it take to do this with two poems a week? Not much.

Let me recap the rules:

1. Go find a poem you haven't read before. It can be by someone you know, but not the one your best friend wrote and wants you to promote, not the one your secret alt wrote. Randomly find a poem you like.

3. Read, vote, and comment (constructively please :D ) on the poem you choose. Then post a link to it in this thread. And don't feel you have to find a "perfect" poem: the only way the poem you choose reflects on you is that you were a good soul who helped promote poetry here. You earn good karma points. That's about it.

4. Do not critique the poem here. If you want to do that in your comment or pm the poet with your thoughts, that's your business.

5. Read, vote, and comment on at least one other poem that is linked in this thread.

I'll read the next poem that someone links here.

I'm throwing down the gauntlet, poets, so go do the right thing! :D

Rybka said:

GOOD IDEA grasshopper~

I had tried this with a thread called dusty poems, but perhaps I didn't word it as well or set as good a guide line as you did. I slowly come to like rybka's spinner in the new poems but always felt it should be done elsewhere and here is a good elsewhere with more!

Tin Soldier by Angeline

My Erotic Trail said:
GOOD IDEA grasshopper~

I had tried this with a thread called dusty poems, but perhaps I didn't word it as well or set as good a guide line as you did. I slowly come to like rybka's spinner in the new poems but always felt it should be done elsewhere and here is a good elsewhere with more!

Tin Soldier by Angeline

You really got my poem????

Thank you! <Blush>

(Damn that's an old one, too. I almost forgot about it.)

:rose:

now that poem of smithpeter's opened my eyes. fancy tiny characters sparking a poem. i never would have thought of it.

Last edited:
I didnt use the spinner. But I have been reading more poetry form people who are not really active on the forum. That has never been a requisite for what I read. neither has the toplist. Or any other list, for that matter.

yesterday, dorksicle had a poem with an E that I liked. So I read more of hers. here is another that I enjoyed :)

nature

not quite free
Senna Jawa

I cheated. This was the third spin. I just could not do the other two. And I am a compulsive confessor so I had to tell. :cool:

I like this one, have to go comment. There are no comments there, maybe this was a poem from the pre-comment days.

~J

neonurotic said:
;) What's the odds on that? The man put out a lot of poetry and I've read much of what he wrote, still there is so much to learn from him.

Actually it was my second spin. I got me on the first one. :cool:

ok, I got for my wife by Capstick
loving confession of how important his partner is to him...I could feel the cold water, made me turn up the heater at my house.

Tristesse said:
My first spin trawled up a work rom 2002 by mascaife

For The Other Woman With Regrets

It's well written rhyming verse. I'm really glad I found this versatile writer. What a good idea this is - Thanks to Rybka by way of Ange. :kiss:

Read it and voted. It is well crafted, isn't it?

And isn't this fun? :D

I decided to try an illustrated poem, so I spun the spinner until I found one where I really liked both the poem and the illustration. On about the fifth spin (two of them had the photos removed, so really three spins counted, I guess), I found

Green Snake

by our own WickedEve. This especially interested me because I know it's a poem she illustrated with a fun, free online drawing program a bunch of poets tried here--Mr. Picassohead--that I highly recommend. :)

the soup versus the rinse water

Angeline and others are fond of
For The Other... by mascaife.

Angeline said:
Read it and voted. It is well crafted, isn't it?
No, it isn't.

Angeline said:
And isn't this fun? :D
Perhaps to you. But no, it's not fun.

Sometimes we get a tasty soup. And sometimes the soup is already eaten, the pots are rinsed, and we get the rinse water, as in this case.

The author has a knack for the rhythm and melody (well, not consistently, not all the time). And that's where it ends. Otherwise we get a phony language, cliched phrases and a very unoriginal topic and sentiment. It was done very poorly by this author, while wonderfully authentically about two thousand and a hundred years ago.

Here is a poem by General Su Wu, translated from Chinese by Arthur Waley (make your window as wide as you can, so the lines don't get broken).

TO HIS WIFE

Since our hair was plaited and we became man and wife
The love between us was never broken by doubt.
So let us be merry this night together,
Feasting and playing while the good time lasts.

----------​

I suddenly remember the distance that I must travel;
I spring from bed and look out to see the time.
The stars and planets are all grown dim in the sky;
Long, long is the road; I cannot stay.
I am going on service, away to the battle-ground,
and I do not know when I shall come back.
I hold your hand with only a deep sigh;
Afterwards, tears -- in the days when we are parted.
With all your might enjoy the spring flowers,
But do not forget the time of our love and pride.
Know that if I live, I will come back again,
and if I die, we will go on thinking of each other.

General Su Wu [circa 100BC]
(trans. by A.Waley)

Last edited:
Back