Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hester said:
help.

i have a meat and potatoes guy coming over for dinner tomorrow night and i don't want to just serve meat and potatoes. i'm going to get some nice ribeyes but i'd like to make it a little more interesting. any ideas? please.

Steamed asparagus
Sauteed baby bella mushrooms with a bit a garlic, sherry & lemon
Multiple toppings plus the standards for the baked potatos: chives, crumbled bacon, grated cheese
Gorganzolla salad or antipasto assortment
kabob some tomatos, pineapple, and mushrooms.
Warmed french bread
 
My meat balls fall apart. :(


What can I use for a binding agent? Bread?


My avogolemono was awesome though.
 
rosco rathbone said:
My meat balls fall apart. :(


What can I use for a binding agent? Bread?


My avogolemono was awesome though.
binding agent = eggs

i love avgo lemono! recipe, please?
 
Hester said:
binding agent = eggs

i love avgo lemono! recipe, please?

Hm. There were already eggs in the avogolemono but I guess they didn't help.


This was excellent for my cold-the lemony garlic chickenyness of it all.

4 1/2 cups chicken broth (if I had had any "A's Special" broth left, I'd have used it and it would have kicked this recipe up 2 notches, but that stuff never sits around for long. I eat it quickly)

about 3 stalks celery rough chopped
2 potatoes bite sized chunks

Bring broth to simmer and add vegetables, simmer till tender


meat balls:
1/4 lb ground lamb
small onion GRATED (this is important)
as much garlic as you like, fine chopped
3 tbs parsely, chop as fine as possible or balls will disintegrate
pinch ground allspice
salt, pepper
1 egg

mix together. These balls tended to fall apart, although they were really tasty. A binding agent is needed. Update: eggs were used last time I made this (one egg in the meatball mix) and the binding problem was solved.

Brown balls in olive oil on med heat skillet. Transfer to broth when veg are tender. I poured all the oil and scrapings in and it didn't hurt. Simmer 15 mins.

Remove all solids from broth with slotted spoon. Beat juice from 2 juicey lemons with 2 eggs. Slowly mix in one ladle of hot broth stirring consistently. Then another. Remove broth from heat. Slowly pour lemon mixture in, stirring constantly.

It then said to "thicken gently on low heat, avoid boiling", but instead I added broth to bowl of meatballs and vegetables and nuked it. Very good.
 
Last edited:
Mint Cucumber Sandwiches

1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled and very thinly sliced (about 32 slices)
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, rinsed, spun dry, and chopped fine
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
16 slices best-quality white bread
Salt to taste

Place cucumber slices between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.

In a small bowl, combine mint, butter, and cream cheese; spread on one side of each slice of bread. Lay cucumber slices onto the buttered side of 8 slices of bread. Sprinkle with salt. Top with the remaining slices of bread, buttered side down.

Carefully cut the crusts from each sandwich with a sharp knife. Cut the sandwiches in half diagonally and then cut in half again.

Yields 8 whole sandwiches or 16 halves or 32 fourths.
 
apricot and white chocolate scones

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chilled butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/3 cup finely chopped dried apricots, divided
2/3 cup white chocolate baking chips, divided
1 egg
About 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
1/3 cup white chocolate baking chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie or baking sheet with shortening or lightly spray with vegetable-oil cooking spray.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into flour mixture until particles are the size of small peas.

Reserve 2 tablespoons chopped apricots for topping; set aside. Stir remaining chopped apricots and 1/3 cup white chocolate baking chips into flour mixture.

Add egg and just enough half-and-half cream until dough just leaves side of bowl and forms a ball. NOTE: When making scones, work the dough quickly and do not over mix.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Pat or roll into an 8-inch circle on cookie sheet. Cut into 8 wedges, but do not separate. Bake approximately 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately remove from baking sheet; carefully separate wedges.

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining 1/3 cup white chocolate chips in the microwave for 15-20 second intervals. After each interval, stir (even if there is no sign of melting). Once melted (usually after 4 or 5 cycles in the microwave) place melted chocolate chips in a small resealable plastic food-storage bag. Cut off small corner of bag; pipe small amount of melted chips over scones. Sprinkle with reserved 2 tablespoons chopped apricots. Pipe remaining melted chips over scones. Serve warm or cool.

Tips: When the scones are cool, wrap airtight and hold at room temperature for up to one day or freeze to store longer (see Freezing Scones below). To reheat, unwrap scones (thaw wrapped, if frozen) and place onto a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degrees oven 8 to 10 minutes or until warm.

Yields 8 scones
 
I made this the other night, it was quite yummy and the capers added a nice little bite to it.

I served it with roasted vegetables and horseradish mashed potatoes.

Rosemary-Sage Pork Tenderloin with Pancetta and Fried Capers

1 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. chopped fresh rosemary
2 Tbs. chopped fresh sage
1 Tbs. fennel seeds, crushed
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 pork tenderloins, trimmed, about 1 1/2 lb.
total
4 garlic cloves, quartered lengthwise
4 thin slices pancetta

For the fried capers:
1/4 cup capers, drained and patted dry
1 Tbs. fine cornmeal
1/2 cup olive oil
Sea salt, to taste



In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, rosemary, sage, fennel seeds, kosher salt and pepper and mix well. Using the tip of a sharp paring knife, make 8 crosswise incisions 1/2 inch deep evenly spaced along the length of each tenderloin. Insert a garlic quarter into each incision. Rub the rosemary-sage mixture over the tenderloins. Wrap 2 slices of pancetta around each of the tenderloins in a spiral pattern. Place the tenderloins, side by side, in a baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to 2 days.

Remove the pork from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour before roasting. Preheat an oven to 375°F.

Transfer the tenderloins to a small roasting pan and pat dry with paper towels. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 150°F, about 30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Remove the pancetta slices and finely chop them. Set aside. (The pork can be prepared up to this point 1 day in advance. If doing so, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate along with the chopped pancetta until 30 minutes before serving.)

To fry the capers, in a bowl, toss the capers with the cornmeal until lightly coated. In a nonstick fry pan over high heat, warm the olive oil. When it is hot, drop in the capers and fry until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain. Lightly sprinkle the capers with sea salt.

To serve, thinly slice the pork and arrange on a serving platter. Scatter the fried capers and pancetta over the pork slices. Serves 8.
 
All of the delicious new recipes have been added to The Index. :heart:

A: Are we talking strict meat and potatoes? Any definite no-nos? I'm loving the ribeye idea, so essentially we're talking sides? If it has to be pototoes, I'm thinking some simple roasted fingerlings, in a HOT oven. The wood oven would be great for that. The skins get all crispy and delicious. Still very manly and basic, though. I also love a good horseradish mashed potato with ribeyes. Just your basic mash with a little prepared horseradish cream added. It's actually quite subtle, and pairs well with the beef. You can also top it with caramelized onions. Yum.

If potatoes aren't a necessity, he might dig the Roasted Winter Root Vegetable Medley (sans gratin).

Best wishes for the dinner, and... just in general. *grin*
 
ForeverNAlways said:
Roast Chicken with Herbed Mushrooms Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Show: Tyler's Ultimate
Episode: Ultimate Roast Chicken

Tyler rocks. I saw that episode, and I've been dying to try it ever since. So it was a success?
 
*ahem*
This, allegedly, is food, prepared by good churchly people and served to children and maiden aunts with a straight face:

Apparently it’s called “Candle Salad” and it’s prepared in all innocence by Mormons and folk of that ilk.
candle-salad.jpg

Back then I was also taught to make candle salad, only we dipped our bananas in Dream Whip and rolled them in crushed cornflakes before placing them upright in their pineapple rings and sticking half of a red maraschino cherry onto the tip. It takes a very, very clean mind to think that up. by Bacchus/sexblog
 
ForeverNAlways said:
Multi-foodgasmic.

It was wonderful. The chicken was moist and flavorful. The light taste of lemon in the chicken. The warm flavor of bacon. MMMmmm... I'd didn't see the episode, I just went looking for a roasted chicken recipe, and I love Tyler.

The eggs and almonds btw, make the salad.

I had a glass of white peach wine with it. Perfect.

Mouthwateringly delicious.

Oh, and the food sounds pretty good, too.

Tatiana0706 said:
*ahem*
This, allegedly, is food, prepared by good churchly people and served to children and maiden aunts with a straight face:

Apparently it’s called “Candle Salad” and it’s prepared in all innocence by Mormons and folk of that ilk.
candle-salad.jpg

Back then I was also taught to make candle salad, only we dipped our bananas in Dream Whip and rolled them in crushed cornflakes before placing them upright in their pineapple rings and sticking half of a red maraschino cherry onto the tip. It takes a very, very clean mind to think that up. by Bacchus/sexblog

Hah! Freudian Foodgasm.
 
Rose Butter

I have been on a High Tea Adventure

from S. Paajanen
INGREDIENTS:
4 oz butter
Fresh rose petals
PREPARATION:
Line the bottom of a covered dish with a thick layer of rose petals. Wrap the butter with waxed paper, and place in the dish. Cover with more petals. Put the lid on the dish and let sit in a cool place overnight.

Use the perfumed butter on small tea sandwiches, with a few rose petals.
 
rosco rathbone said:
Hm. There were already eggs in the avogolemono but I guess they didn't help.


This was excellent for my cold-the lemony garlic chickenyness of it all.

4 1/2 cups chicken broth (if I had had any "A's Special" broth left, I'd have used it and it would have kicked this recipe up 2 notches, but that stuff never sits around for long. I eat it quickly)

about 3 stalks celery rough chopped
2 potatoes bite sized chunks

Bring broth to simmer and add vegetables, simmer till tender


meat balls:
1/4 lb ground lamb
small onion GRATED (this is important)
as much garlic as you like, fine chopped
3 tbs parsely, chop as fine as possible or balls will disintegrate
pinch ground allspice
salt, pepper

mix together. These balls tended to fall apart, although they were really tasty. A binding agent is needed.

Brown balls in olive oil on med heat skillet. Transfer to broth when veg are tender. I poured all the oil and scrapings in and it didn't hurt. Simmer 15 mins.

Remove all solids from broth with slotted spoon. Beat juice from 2 juicey lemons with 2 eggs. Slowly mix in one ladle of hot broth stirring consistently. Then another. Remove broth from heat. Slowly pour lemon mixture in, stirring constantly.

It then said to "thicken gently on low heat, avoid boiling", but instead I added broth to bowl of meatballs and vegetables and nuked it. Very good.

To make the meatballs stick together, you need some sort of breadcrumbs (in a pinch you could use a little oatmeal), and eggs. The eggs will pull the bread together and bind it all together.

Helpful?
 
going_long said:

Add a little spargle, you've got yourself a meal.

SexyWench said:
A cold miserable Toronto day
made better with the smells of Osso Bucco *nods*

Oh, that sounds so damn good. I can practically smell it.

Braising is good for what ails ye on a dreary day.
 
tortoise said:
Oh, that sounds so damn good. I can practically smell it.

Braising is good for what ails ye on a dreary day.

It does the body good
plus I use my hand blender in the sauce
the kids don't know the gravy has veggies ;)
 
SexyWench said:
It does the body good
plus I use my hand blender in the sauce
the kids don't know the gravy has veggies ;)

I won't tell a soul.

I've never tried pureeing the veggies, but it sounds luscious.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top