Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
SheRemembers said:
Awww... Thanks for helping me look on the bright side... :D

*smile*

I'm sure there are many, many bright sides, but I was focusing on the culinary high points. Seafood, seafood, and more seafood!

gravyrug said:
One of Mrs Rug's coworkers reminded her today that it's getting to be chex mix season, and that she should make sure I remembered.
Does she also do "Muddy Buddies"? Gawd. Good gawd. So good.

Oh! REAL chex mix. Ambrosia!

The stuff they sell pre-made in the bags is okay, but it's a pale imitation of the homemade stuff.

tortoise said:
Oh! REAL chex mix. Ambrosia!

The stuff they sell pre-made in the bags is okay, but it's a pale imitation of the homemade stuff.
I've never made my own or had the pre-made stuff, but my nibbles from other people's party bowls always seems different. Someone once put soya and chili-sumpin'-or-other in it and it was really good.

Tinkersquash said:
I've never made my own or had the pre-made stuff, but my nibbles from other people's party bowls always seems different. Someone once put soya and chili-sumpin'-or-other in it and it was really good.

Yes! It's fun to 'speriment with the basic recipe. I like lots of Worcesterstersterstershire sauce in mine.

I haven't made it in ages, but my mom used to make it all the time. My brother and sister and I were like lions squabbling over a fresh kill.

tortoise said:
Yes! It's fun to 'speriment with the basic recipe. I like lots of Worcesterstersterstershire sauce in mine.

I haven't made it in ages, but my mom used to make it all the time. My brother and sister and I were like lions squabbling over a fresh kill.
I'm gonna import some Chex.

O, Jenny's a' wat, poor body;
Jenny's seldom dry;
She draiglet a' her petticoatie
Coming thro' the rye.

My kinda girl, that Jenny.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to share your own foodgasms, whether they are achieved by cooking or consuming. Don't be shy, now. You know you wanna.

I have a 'fruitgasm'.

I love sweet juicy watermelon.

I look forward to summer when I will see the fruit vendors out there with endless supply of watermelons.

I love biting into it, tasting its sweetness just before I crunch down on it.

I like taking some watermelon and mixing it with melon, together they make an explosive combination. Their juices alone are heavenly. :)

big_watermelon.jpg

cantaloupe.jpg

Hey Aphro! So good to see you, and welcome to the thread.

A good watermelon is an amazing thing. This summer, we indulged in a bunch of those little Dulcinea ones. Tiny (for watermelons), but always so sweet and flavorful. The smell alone is enough to make me moan. I like them with a bit of lime juice. I also make an incredibly delicious and ridiculously easy watermelon sorbet: throw fresh watermelon and a squeeze of lime in a blender, then add sugar until it's the desired sweetness (you want to make it almost TOO sweet before freezing, because it will taste much less sweet when frozen). Chill it well, then freeze with your favorite ice cream maker. Takes like 5 minutes to prepare (other than chilling and freezing) and it's so refreshing.

greens. been getting lots of winter greens from the organic farm neighbors. here are a couple of my greens recipes. i separate the greens from the rib and just use the leaf. i think it has a silkier feel on the tongue that way.

hester greens 1
for this one i prefer kale (lacinto or white), but any greens will do, including chard.
1-2 bunches greens, leaf only, cut or torn into pieces
2 cloves to 1/2 head garlic (to your taste) minced
toasted sesame oil
tamari to taste

heat the oil on med to med high, add garlic, stir for a minute or two then add greens. saute until the greens just start to wilt. add tamari to taste

hester greens 2
i think chard works best for this, but it's also nice with a combination of greens, esp if you can get some nice mizuna or mustard greens.
1-2 bunches greens, leaf only, cut or torn into pieces
1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, sliced, no stems (if you can get really small bite-sized ones don't even cut them, they are great whole)
olive oil
tamari to taste (maybe 1T)
1T your favorite mustard (dijon works well, so does a nice stone ground mustard)

saute the mushrooms in a little oil and tamari until soft on med or med high heat. stir in mustard then add greens cook until greens are soft and really wilted.

Those both sound amazing, A. I absolutely love greens. Mizuna is all over the farmer's markets now, so I've been doing a lot of that, but I love them ALL. Turnip tops, beet tops, mustard, collard, kale, chard, escarole, arugula... you name it.

VERY simple mustard greens that I did the other day: saute some red pepper flakes briefly in olive oil, then add greens and wilt until soft. At the very end, add some fresh lime juice (I used key lime, but any fresh lime'll do) and tamari.

I like a super hot skillet, some o oyl, and I mix up cooking sherry, soy sauce, lime juice and fresh ground black poivre. Cook for about 20 seconds.

tortoise said:
Those both sound amazing, A. I absolutely love greens. Mizuna is all over the farmer's markets now, so I've been doing a lot of that, but I love them ALL. Turnip tops, beet tops, mustard, collard, kale, chard, escarole, arugula... you name it.

VERY simple mustard greens that I did the other day: saute some red pepper flakes briefly in olive oil, then add greens and wilt until soft. At the very end, add some fresh lime juice (I used key lime, but any fresh lime'll do) and tamari.
i'll have to try that. wrathbone's too. i love lime juice.

i have more than i can eat. i don't know what to do with the damn things. even the dogs are getting greens these days. for $10-12 a week i get enough for a family of 6 to eat greens, leeks, peppers, herbs every night all week.

cold beet salad
lots o beets
about 1/3 as many carrots as beets (by weight)
about 1/2 as many oranges as beets (by weight)

boil beets, carrots let cool until comfortable to touch. remove skins (you can peel before boiling si tu plait), grate into bowl. Peel and section oranges. i like to take off the membranes but it's not necessary. toss and refrigerate.

Hester said:
i'll have to try that. wrathbone's too. i love lime juice.

i have more than i can eat. i don't know what to do with the damn things. even the dogs are getting greens these days. for $10-12 a week i get enough for a family of 6 to eat greens, leeks, peppers, herbs every night all week.

cold beet salad
lots o beets
about 1/3 as many carrots as beets (by weight)
about 1/2 as many oranges as beets (by weight)

boil beets, carrots let cool until comfortable to touch. remove skins (you can peel before boiling si tu plait), grate into bowl. Peel and section oranges. i like to take off the membranes but it's not necessary. toss and refrigerate.

Yum! I make a version very similar to that, but with roasted beets and clementines (thinner membranes). Oh, and I just cut the beets into rustic chunks. But the flavor combo's the thing, and it's fantastic.

What did you decide for your Thankgiving side?

tortoise said:
Yum! I make a version very similar to that, but with roasted beets and clementines (thinner membranes). Oh, and I just cut the beets into rustic chunks. But the flavor combo's the thing, and it's fantastic.

What did you decide for your Thankgiving side?
either a sweet pepper ratatouille or some asparagus and gruyere en croute with a light cream sauce. depends on whether i can bake the puffies when we get there or if there will be an oven backlog. still not sure about dessert. i make a mean pumpkin pie with crystallized ginger so i may do those or some fruit tarts. if i'm feeling particularly ambitious i might do some petite fors.

tortoise said:
i like eating this just to see my pee turn pink. ha!

Hester said:
either a sweet pepper ratatouille or some asparagus and gruyere en croute with a light cream sauce. depends on whether i can bake the puffies when we get there or if there will be an oven backlog. still not sure about dessert. i make a mean pumpkin pie with crystallized ginger so i may do those or some fruit tarts. if i'm feeling particularly ambitious i might do some petite fors.

I so want you right now. Yes, the puffies would certainly be much better baked fresh. Pumpkin Pie with crystalized ginger sounds amazing. I love that stuff, munch on it like candy.

Hester said:
i like eating this just to see my pee turn pink. ha!

Yep. Still want you, even with your freakishly festive pee.

rosco rathbone said:
Thanksgiving potluck at manseed's.

What would you bring?

Recipes?
tiny individual wild turkey pies with chestnuts and cranberries
for dessert an apricot genoise cake with a spun sugar cage inverted over it.

Chestnuts! Oh. Instant, overwhelming craving. That sounds so good, A.

Reminds me. I need to make zuppa di castagne, soon. It's been ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back