Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrackerjackHrt said:
my brother lived near astoria park until a couple of months ago.

i loved going into the greek groceries with him.

who knew there were so many varieties of feta?
jackson heights has great grocery markets too. i'm always amazed at the vegetative items i didn't even know exist.
 
CrackerjackHrt said:
this is nina simonds' recipe. lots of steps, but easy to make. easier than it looks.

it's great for a blustery day.

That looks incredible, CJack, and well worth the wait. Thank you!

CrackerjackHrt said:
that looks like a real keeper.

tort, i hate to tell you this, but you need to index the recipes in your first post.

* looks away, whistles.

I know, I know. One of these days. This thread was always intended to be more than just recipes, but there have been so many incredible ones posted that it would be a very useful tool. FnA generously offered to do one, but it would be so much work that I feel like I should bite the bullet and do it.

Rambling Rose said:
:rose:

You're a wonderful photographer amongst your other talents. You've got the eye.

Thank you. It makes me happy to be able to share the bits of beauty that I find with dear friends.

Batchoohus said:
couscous, oh my that brings back tender memories.

and mint tea.

I love this thread.

I have a tasty and simple couscous salad that I'll share in a bit. I make it for family gatherings all the time, especially in the summer. Very refreshing, it is.

I love this thread, too. It's all of YOU people that make it so incredible. Thank you all.

:heart:
 
Hester said:
jackson heights has great grocery markets too. i'm always amazed at the vegetative items i didn't even know exist.

The sheer variety of the edible vegetation is staggering, isn't it? I'm never going to give up my carnivore ways completely, but I know I could easily be a vegetarian and never be bored.
 
Speaking of vegetarian/vegan items, I made this grrrreat soup this week... Found it on a food blog.

Oswego Tea

All the Reds Soup
(adapted from a book called the Ultimate Vegetarian which I can't find listed on Amazon, except for one by the same name which isn't the same book that I've got tucked away in storage.)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 14oz can chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons basmati rice
1 14oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
(optional toppings: chopped italian parsley, a bit of grated cheddar)

Put the oil in a pot over medium heat. Cook the onion and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute more. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, then let simmer for about 15 minutes. Top with chopped parsley or a bit of grated cheddar if you wish.

Notes:
-A bad or bland stock will make or break any soup, so be sure to use a good one.
-The original recipe calls for a shot or two of Worcestershire sauce which I don't have, but it does add a nice touch if you should choose to use it.
-the grated cheddar is so not a European touch but it sure tastes good.
 
SheRemembers said:
Speaking of vegetarian/vegan items, I made this grrrreat soup this week... Found it on a food blog.

Yum! That looks like another perfect blustery day soup. I love the combo of rice and beans.

:kiss:
 
tortoise said:
Yum! That looks like another perfect blustery day soup. I love the combo of rice and beans.

:kiss:
Thanks. I threw in some sundried tomatoes I had lying around, and I love to toss in a few red pepper flakes...
 
tortoise said:
The sheer variety of the edible vegetation is staggering, isn't it? I'm never going to give up my carnivore ways completely, but I know I could easily be a vegetarian and never be bored.
I have tons of vegan and vegitarian stuff that I cook. Tempe, Tofu, Seitan, all that stuff
 
One of Mrs Rug's coworkers reminded her today that it's getting to be chex mix season, and that she should make sure I remembered.
 
gman23 said:
I have tons of vegan and vegitarian stuff that I cook. Tempe, Tofu, Seitan, all that stuff

It's a blast. So many recipes I don't even necessarily think of as vegan, but just are, like the hummus that I made tonight.

Or... this easy couscous salad:
  • 1 10 oz box couscous
  • 1 large English cucumber, diced
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 medium red onion, diced
  • 1 14 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • 1 small red onion, or 1/2 a large one
  • fresh lime juice to taste
  • salt to taste

Prepare couscous according to directions on box, then remove to a large bowl to cool. Put the diced cucumber in a strainer with a few pinches of salt, let sit for half an hour or so to drain off excess water, thus keeping the salad from getting too wet (and giving the couscous time to fully cool). Combine all of the dry ingredients well, then add lime juice and salt to taste (you want enough lime juice to moisten the couscous completely, but not "soak" it). Enjoy!
 
SheRemembers said:
Thanks. I threw in some sundried tomatoes I had lying around, and I love to toss in a few red pepper flakes...

An excellent addition.

I share your love for red pepper flakes. I just ran out of my Whole Foods jar of them yesterday, need to restock.
 
tortoise said:
An excellent addition.

I share your love for red pepper flakes. I just ran out of my Whole Foods jar of them yesterday, need to restock.
Whole Foods.

*wistful sigh*
 
oh! i didn't know this thread even exist! awesome!

i'm not a great cook, but one of my favorite past time is reading recipes and go gagas over the food pictures.

OH! and also wish I could just nod my head and have the food appears on my table. :cathappy:
 
tickletickle said:
oh! i didn't know this thread even exist! awesome!

i'm not a great cook, but one of my favorite past time is reading recipes and go gagas over the food pictures.

OH! and also wish I could just nod my head and have the food appears on my table. :cathappy:

Welcome to the thread! I've said all along, this thread is intended to be as much about the appreciation of good food as it is about the cooking of it.
 
Black Bean Mole and Coconut Couscous

Couscous:
1 box uncooked couscous
1/2 cup coconut, toasted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Mole:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. minced garlic (you can go heavier if you like garlic)
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
1 1/2 tsps. unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Topping:
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I use the kind w/jalepenos)
sour cream, chopped tomotoes and sliced green onions to your liking

Cook couscous as directed on box. Stir in toasted coconut and cinnamon. Cover to keep warm.

Heat oil in medium pan over medium heat until hot. Add garlic; cook and stir @ a minute. Stir in all remaining mole ingredients. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

To serve, fluff couscous with fork; spoon onto serving platter. Spoon mole mixture over couscous. Top with cheese, sour cream, etc.

This whole dish cooks in 10 minutes and has a really festive presentation. That flavor combination of cocoa, cumin, cinnamon and chili powder makes an excellent seasoning for pork medallions as well.
 
_pebbles said:
Black Bean Mole and Coconut Couscous

Wow! That sounds so amazing. Incredibly easy, but such a surprising mix of flavors. I am definitely going to try this one this weekend.

Thanks, _pebbles!
 
a great Christmas or Hanukkah present

Joy of Cooking - 75th Anniversary Edition has just been released, it's the ninth edition of the cookbook since it was first published in 1931. It's hardcover and on sale over at Amazon for $18.00, it normally goes for $30.00
joyofcookinglk0.gif

In this edition, Joy of Cooking returns (thankfully) to its roots as our home grown, home cooking bible. Back are the sections on canning, preserves, and homemade ice cream. New are 30 minute meals, grilling, and even hearth cooking. An extensive ingredient reference, sections on knife skills, growing herbs, and freezing foods, make this new version once again and invaluable reference for the home cook.
 
tortoise said:
Wow! That sounds so amazing. Incredibly easy, but such a surprising mix of flavors. I am definitely going to try this one this weekend.

I missed the roast chat earlier but here's my contribution:

Orange roasted Veg

2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into wedges
4 carrots, peeled and sliced lengthways
2 parsnips peeled, halved and quartered
1 orange
Olive oil
2 sprigs of rosemary
Garlic cloves peeled (up to you how many or whether you like them)

Heat the oven to 200c/400f/Gas 6

Put the carrot, parsnip and potato in a large roasting tin. Squeeze over the juice from the orange and put the orange halves in the tin. Drizzle with olive oil and place the rosemary on top. Season and roast in the oven for 20 mins.

Take the tin out, shake it around to make sure nothing is sticking, add the garlic cloves and back in for another 20 mins until everything is tender and slightly caramelised.

The orange glazes the veg and adds to the sweetness... it's dead easy and well worth a go.
 
tortoise said:
Wow! That sounds so amazing. Incredibly easy, but such a surprising mix of flavors. I am definitely going to try this one this weekend.

Thanks, _pebbles!


You're welcome, tort. Let me know how it turns out for you. Do you cook for Thanksgiving or are you a guest somewhere special?

I'm always checking out the Food Network and saw a new guy on there (don't even know his name, but he looks big and strong, nice face). He was doing his thing and after he slipped the roast in the oven, he had a little cocktail. I'm usually so busy with the turkey and other preparations that I usually don't let myself unwind till everyone's seated for dinner. I'm taking a page outta this guy's playbook and having a little something earlier this year!
 
mmmmmmmmmm

Hashed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon
hashedbrusselssproutsbx5.jpg

1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
1 lbs brussels sprouts
1 Tbsp olive oil
4 teaspoons butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp black mustard seeds or poppy seeds
2 Tbsp vermouth or dry white wine
Salt and pepper to taste.
hashedbrusselssprouts1lm1.jpg
hashedbrusselssprouts2ba5.jpg
hashedbrusselssprouts3vy0.jpg

1 Place lemon juice in a large bowl. Cut bottoms off sprouts, and discard. Halve sprouts lengthwise. If you are really ambitions, carefully cut out and discard the firm core of each sprout half. Thinly slice the sprouts. As you work, transfer slices into bowl with lemon juice. When all sprouts are sliced toss them in juice and separate leaves. (Recipe can be prepared to this point and refrigerated, covered, for up to 3 hours.)
hashedbrusselssprouts4yc9.jpg
2 When ready to serve, heat oil and butter over high heat in a skillet large enough to hold all sprouts. When very hot (almost to smoking point) add sprouts, garlic and seeds, and cook, stirring often, until sprouts are wilted and lightly cooked, but still green and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Some leaves might brown slightly.

3 Add vermouth, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Turn off heat, add salt and pepper to taste and stir in the lemon zest, reserving a little for top of dish. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with remaining zest and serve.

Serves 4.
 
That looks like a great recipe, _pebbles! Thanks for joining us in the hallowed halls of foodlust.

And Tati, you rock. I love a good sprout.
 
going_long said:
I missed the roast chat earlier but here's my contribution:

Orange roasted Veg

It's NEVER a bad time to talk about roasted veggies. That looks amazing, roobarb (heh). I can seriously taste the tangy orange glaze.

SaintPeter said:
True food lovers do not use books or recipes.

Heat the kitchen up and let the love flow.

I love cookbooks! I use them as inspiration, points of departure. Whenever I try a recipe posted here, though, I'll do it verbatim the first time, so I can give my honest impression.

_pebbles said:
You're welcome, tort. Let me know how it turns out for you. Do you cook for Thanksgiving or are you a guest somewhere special?

I'm always checking out the Food Network and saw a new guy on there (don't even know his name, but he looks big and strong, nice face). He was doing his thing and after he slipped the roast in the oven, he had a little cocktail. I'm usually so busy with the turkey and other preparations that I usually don't let myself unwind till everyone's seated for dinner. I'm taking a page outta this guy's playbook and having a little something earlier this year!

I'm doing the whole feast again this year, and I am so looking forward to it. I do as much of the cooking as I can the day before, though, so I have more time to relax and enjoy the festivities. I have an excellent bottle of cab that I'm going to open and savor as I cook.

Tatiana0706 said:
Hashed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon

Yum! I've been craving brussels sprouts ever since Rose posted that picture ages ago. That looks amazing, almost like a warm tangy brussels slaw.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top